Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NRB O2 mask face seal test & info. (Read 2492 times)
Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
NRB O2 mask face seal test & info.
Oct 6th, 2008 at 9:33pm

I'm sure this has been covered before but once again can't hurt.

To test for a proper seal to your face your mask does not need to be hooked up to an O2 tank and if it is turn the tank OFF.

Place the mask on your face the same as if using to abort and breath in accoringly. If any air at all is coming in once there is suction then you have a leak. This of course will at the very least lengthen abort times.

All NRB masks are NOT created equal. The quality varies quite a lot. The size of the bag is important and is deceptive. I have two types of mask now and the bags appear to be the same size. One bag @ 15lpm will deflate much quicker than the other. Hugh factor when hyperventilating to stop the big hit. Longer lasting one is better.

What may seem small things may make the difference. I hope so.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: NRB O2 mask face seal test & info.
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 3:11pm

Skyhawk5,

Excellent post, and good on you for bringing up the topic. I developed a paper on oxygen therapy almost two years ago to go along with the Supplemental User’s Guide to Oxygen Therapy (It’s available on OUCH). Part of that paper dealt with the need to inspect and test non-rebreather (NRB) masks on a frequent basis to ensure they are in top operating condition.  That paper also addresses why performing these inspections and tests are so important.  I’ve updated that part of the paper and included it below.  

Thanks again for starting a great topic like this.

Take care.

V/R, Batch

Why some cluster headache sufferers are unsuccessful in aborting attacks with O2

Other than too low an O2 flow rate, the single most common reason for cluster headache sufferers failing to achieve a successful abort on 100% O2 is due to a malfunction of the NRB O2 mask. Missing or malfunctioning exhaust check valves are one reason that causes NRB O2 masks to malfunction.  A malfunctioning inlet check valve or one fouled by mucus is second reason. Missing or malfunctioning exhaust check valves allow ambient air to enter the mask.  This dilutes the oxygen concentration, increases the time to abort, and ultimately causes too many cluster headache sufferers to fail in achieving a successful abort.

A malfunctioning inlet check valve or one possibly fouled by mucus can create an even bigger problem as it allows exhaled breath to enter the reservoir bag.  As exhaled breath contains CO2, and it enters the reservoir bag only to be inhaled with the next breath, the partial pressure of CO2 (PCO2) in the alveoli and bloodstream starts to increase.  If the one-way inlet check valve fails to seat properly when exhaling and continues to allow this to happen, the level of CO2 recycled through the reservoir bag and into the bloodstream will build with each breath. This condition is called hypercapnia, and even a small increase of 0.25% in alveolar CO2 levels will result in an uncontrollable increase in lung ventilation by 100%.  It should also be noted that an increase of CO2 by as little as 1% of the inhaled breath acts as a powerful vasodilator even if the remaining 99% of the inhaled breath is pure O2.  This can easily result in anxiety and possibly a sense of panic.  As hypercapnia is such a powerful vasodilator that it completely overrides the vasoconstriction caused by elevated levels of oxygen (hyperoxia). Unfortunately, this problem is one of the leading reasons why too many cluster headache sufferers are unable to achieve an abort with oxygen therapy and they abandon its use as an abortive.

This problem is more pronounced with the disposable NRB mask as the inlet manifold and check valve are located in a part of the facemask directly under the user’s nose.  For folks that get a juicy runny nose during their hits and oxygen therapy, it all collects on top of the inlet check valve.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Disposable Non-Rebreather Oxygen Mask

All this points out the need for frequent functional tests of a standard disposable NRB O2 mask’s exhaust and inlet check valves for proper operation.  It takes only a few seconds and it’s easy to perform. The following procedures will also work with the O2PTIMASK™ offered by Linde LifeGas or the older Clustermasx™ with slight modifications.  They need to be inspected and tested as well but as their construction differs with both of the one-way intake and exhaust check valves located inside the “T” manifold as marked by the yellow tape indicating the direction of flow, these masks have far fewer problems.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
O2PTIMASK™ System

Clustermasx™

Obviously, functional tests and cleaning of your NRB masks should be accomplished between cluster headache attacks whenever possible.  This is particularly important for the disposable NRB masks as the exterior silicone exhaust flapper valves on these masks are easily dislodged and they can stiffen making a good seal difficult.  When this happens, it’s best to get a new mask rather than risk poor performance during oxygen therapy. They cost less than $2.  The disposable NRB mask should also be replaced if there’s any evidence of moisture inside the reservoir bag.  This can rapidly lead to the build up of bacteria given the high oxygen environment.

1. Testing the Exhaust Check Valves - With the supply valve on the O2 cylinder closed, place the NRB O2 mask on your face and inhale. Once the reservoir bag is tightly deflated, you should be unable to inhale any further and the mask should stay on your face without holding it in place. If this happens, the exhaust check valves and the mask face seal are functioning properly.  If you are still able to inhale and the mask falls away without holding it, one or both of the exhaust check valves are faulty, missing, or you have a poor facemask fit.  Inspect the exhaust check valves for cleanliness and presence of any foreign objects or mucus between the valve flapper and valve seat. This procedure also works if you’re using one of the new O2PTIMASK™ systems from Linde LifeGas or one of the older Clustermasx™ configured with either the face mask or mouthpiece.

2. Testing the Inlet Check Valve – With the supply valve on the O2 cylinder closed, and the reservoir bag deflated, place the mask to your face with your thumb and fore finger over the exhaust check valves on both sides of the mask and exhale. You should feel backpressure and the reservoir bag should not inflate. If this happens, the inlet check valve is functioning properly. If the reservoir bag inflates as you exhale, the inlet check valve is faulty. Inspect it for cleanliness and the presence of any foreign objects or mucus between the valve flapper and valve seat. If you have an O2PTIMASK™ or one of the older Clustermasx™ place the palm of your hand over the exhaust port on the manifold and exhale. Again the reservoir bag should not inflate. Cleaning the check valves is easy, but not in the middle of a cluster headache attack.

If either the exhaust or inlet check valves fail on a disposable NRB mask during a cluster headache attack, all is not lost. There are simple workaround procedures that will allow you to continue oxygen therapy long enough for a successful abort. If one or both of the exhaust check valves are malfunctioning, place your thumb and forefinger over the flappers when you inhale and release them when you exhale. If the inlet check valve malfunctions, remove the mask from your face and exhale away from it to prevent CO2 build up in the reservoir bag, then place the mask to your face to inhale. If you are using an O2PTIMASK™ or the older Clustermasx™ and the exhaust check valve malfunctions allowing room air to enter the mask, place the palm of your hand over the exhaust port when you inhale and remove it when you exhale.  If you’re using either of these masks and the intake check valve malfunctions during oxygen therapy, inhale normally but move the mask or mouthpiece to the side and exhale around it.  This will prevent exhaled breath from entering the reservoir bag.

For the new folks unfamiliar with my background and who are probably wondering where all this information on oxygen masks and oxygen therapy is coming from, I’m a retired US Navy pilot with over 3000 hours flight time in Navy fighter aircraft and a degree in chemistry.  All of that flight time was spent breathing 100% oxygen from takeoff to touch down on missions lasting over two hours.  I’ll also add, frequently at flow rates well in excess of 25 liters/minute.  I also inspected my oxygen mask prior to every flight and once in the aircraft, I performed a functional check prior to starting the engine(s).  

Each year we were required to attend mandatory training in Aviation Physiology.  This training included classes in respiratory physiology where we received refresher training in blood gas chemistry and the latest changes in oxygen breathing systems.  Every two to three years or when we transitioned to a new aircraft, we were also required to make low-pressure chamber (LPC) runs where the chamber technicians reduced the pressure in the chamber equal to the pressure found at an altitude of 25,000 feet to re-familiarize ourselves with the symptoms of hypoxia (not enough oxygen).  

Low-Pressure Chamber Hypoxia Training

Once we reached that altitude, we were required to remove our oxygen masks and perform a simple task of operating a piece of avionics, or sorting a deck of cards by suit.  As useful consciousness at this altitude is generally less than 2 to 3 minutes before hypoxia set in, few of us were ever able to completely accomplish the task before a chamber technician or Navy Corpsman stepped up and helped reattach our oxygen masks.  Navy and Marine Corps pilots and aircrews have been receiving scheduled hypoxia familiarization training in LPCs since 1941.

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2008 at 3:13pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 5:22pm

Batch,

Thank you from my heart. Checked my mask and yes I had a flapper leak. Hadn't tested in a while so I thought how many others have neglected this? I hoped you would pick this up and fill in the gaps. I've learned essential stuff from you and others here.

I'm a little scattered now, in peak cycle, on pred. still fighting hits. The 25lpm has been a valuable weapon. Brought me back from more than one Kip-8 on a wake up call. Oh, I've had the mucus bubble up in the mask before, thinking of a way to prevent that. ??        ,Don                  

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2008 at 5:24pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 7:09pm

Don,

Thanks for the kind words...  Check your PM.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 9:41pm

Quote:
Oh, I've had the mucus bubble up in the mask before, thinking of a way to prevent that. ??        ,

I use the mouthpiece. Snot flingin no problem.
Keep up the good fight. Thanks again Batch, groovy photo's.
thebb

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:44am

I do have a mouthpiece with my Clustermasx. Never tried it though. The Clustermasx just seems too bulky and restrictive to me so I went back to the old NRB. If I get some courage up I'll try the mouthpiece,
but it's hard to change when I'm staying just ahead of things now.

Batch,

When I tried the Clustermasx during last years cycle @ 15lpm it seemed I was gettting less O2 than with my regular NRB, or harder to breath it, not comfortable. Bag inflated ok.                   , Don

Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:59am

I gave up trying to get a good seal on the NRB.  What I do, when I use one, is yank the mask portion off, and then just stick the end of the valve assembly (with the bag attached to it) into my mouth, and breath through the mouth only.

I can hold it in my mouth, with my teeth, and then place my tongue over the valve, and open my lips, when I exhale.  Close my lips, move my tongue away, and inhale ... Repeat as needed ...

This method also frees up both of your hands to pull your hair, hold TWO bags of frozen peas to different parts of your head/neck, beat on yourself/chair/wall (or anyone that DARES to interrupt you) or hold a snot rag to your nose, if you need, or desire to.

Works like a champ for me!  (AND, I don't have to worry if the valves are getting bad.  No valves are needed!)

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 9:16pm

You guys are going to convince me yet. Chicken I guess. How do you keep from taking in air in though the nose?? Kind of automatic.  working on my clustermasx. Got a lemon but I trying to rig it back up.

Only had it for a couple years and had a hose leak, conector where the bag attaches to the mouth tube falls out, bag too small, and I'm having a hard time putting the bigger one on. Something to do.

May you be snot free, Don

Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!