Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brand New Cluster Boy (Read 1126 times)
mdemon22
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Brand New Cluster Boy
Oct 9th, 2008 at 12:17am

I'm only on my fourth attack but I know I'm in the right place.  I've been to the neurologist today and all my symptoms fit.  It's a good thing too because w/o the sample of Treximet he gave me I would be rocking back and forth holding my head still.  This is so crazy.  I can't believe I have this.  I've always been the one that never gets sick.  Well I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that the Treximet worked in about 15 minutes.  I'm still not 100% normal, but maybe I can go to sleep.  I'm starting a journal of all my attacks to I can keep track of them including time, treatment, duration.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Brand New Cluster Boy
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 12:55am

Welcome and OXYGEN OXYGEN OXYGEN! You'll hear that a lot on the board as it's becoming such a succesful treatment for so many. Pure 02, at a high flow rate, at least 15 LPM, using a non re breather mask. I can abort in as little as 6 minutes without having to use my imitrex!

You have much reading to do, sounds like you lucked out and found a neuro early on who knows CH, you're a lucky man. Many wander years before they get an accurate diagnosis! Welcome to your new second home!

Guiseppi
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2008 at 12:58am by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 7:59am

Please see my post in the first section, "Cluster Headache Specific" in the message, "What is normal for CH?".

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 9:18pm

Welcome to the madhouse. Nobody should have to deal with this horror but you'll find some good stuff and support here.

This is one that worked for me:

Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique:

I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, at least indirectly helps kill the pain. I do know that this technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. Think of feeling your pulse in your hand. Increased circulation will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. The important and difficult part is that it has to be done without interruption through the pain. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice. Every now and then it will work almost immediately. I lived for those moments.

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I have had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute attacks were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to effectively deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.

I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my neck into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This may be similar as it draws some circulation away from the head. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea. So long as you do not slack off, this has a chance of working.

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It gives us a fighting chance.

Charlie      

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 8:09pm

None of us are normal! Cheesy  Normal is only average, and I don't think we should hve to lower ourselves! Grin

Glad you found us, and that you found a Dr that had a clue.

You have a lot of reading to do.  It is up to you to learn as much as you can so that you can direct your own treatment.  There is a wealth of info availalbe here, so take advantage of it.  As Giuseppi said, look into the Oxygen.  Energy drinks can also be helpful sometimes.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!