Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wierd Statistic (Read 8235 times)
Izzy
CH.com Junior

Choose life.

Red Deer, AB, Canada
Wierd Statistic
Oct 9th, 2008 at 2:36pm

Hi; I have a question:

Is it true that 45% of people with cluster die in thier sleep & that this is linked to sleep apnea? If there are any links or anything; please post regarding. Thanks...

"There are no monuments dedicated to me, and my name will soon be forgotten, but I have loved someone with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.”

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Re: Wierd Statistic
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 2:39pm

Izzy,

Can you post a link to where you read this?  I have never heard of this.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:09pm

Izzy wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 2:36pm:
Hi; I have a question:

Is it true that 45% of people with cluster die in thier sleep & that this is linked to sleep apnea? If there are any links or anything; please post regarding. Thanks...

Yer shittin me..................right?

Potter

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:32pm

Holy Crap !!!!!!!
Just when ya think ya got a  handle on things !!

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:34pm

I have seen statistics that 50% to 80% of clusterheads have sleep apnea. I have not seen any numbers on how many have heart attacks in their sleep from the apnea.  Even if a person doesn't die immediately in their sleep, apnea can weaken the heart and make a person susceptible to heart problems.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:34pm

if its true, that is good news!!!

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Izzy
CH.com Junior

Choose life.

Red Deer, AB, Canada
Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:47pm

Hey guys;

Sorry if I caused a freak. I just finished calling the person who emailed me that because quite frankly I was like "WHAT???". They got an ear full when I went to the link (which they didn't post in the email, they gave over the phone). They totally misread it & made thier own conclusion; because I couldn't find that stat anywhere. I should have fleshed it before I posted but I have so much going on right now! To be clear: THE STAT IS FALSE; as far as I can find. The links are here & say nothing other than sleep apnea occurs in some people with CH. I hope this clears up? Sorry again.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:48pm by Izzy »  

"There are no monuments dedicated to me, and my name will soon be forgotten, but I have loved someone with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.”

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:58pm

Quote:
Headache. 2004 Jun;44(6):607-10.

Obstructive sleep apnea and cluster headache.
   Graff-Radford SB, Newman A.

The Pain Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center and UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA.

A patient with cluster headache often wakes from sleep. The relationship to sleep apnea has been described. This study sought to confirm the relationship cluster may have with sleep apnea. METHODS: Thirty-nine consecutive patients diagnosed with episodic cluster headache according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria were sent for polysomnographic studies. All patients were in an active phase when they were in the study. Patients were told of the proposed relationship and were allowed to choose a sleep laboratory close to their home. RESULTS: Thirty-one patients with episodic cluster headache completed an overnight polysomnographic study. Twenty-three were male and eight female. The average age was 51 years (range 33 to 78 years). The average weight was 173 pounds (range 117 to 260 pounds). A total of 80.64% had sleep apnea (25/31). Average respiratory depression index (RDI) was 19.0 (SD 14.6) with 6 patients having no apnea, 10 having mild, 11 having moderate, and 4 having severe apnea (RDI < 5 = none; RDI 5 to 20 mild; RDI 20 to 40 moderate; RDI > 40 severe). Oxygen saturation decreased on average to 88.4% SD 4.5. Sleep efficiency was 76.2% (SD 13.4). CONCLUSIONS: The data closely approximate those of Chervin et al, where 80% had RDI > 5. The relationship sleep apnea has in the perpetuation or precipitation of cluster headache is still to be determined. There are some reports that treatment stops the cluster but there is no prospective study. The high incidence (80.64%) seen in this population suggests the cluster patient should receive a sleep evaluation and perhaps intervention with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) or an appropriate dental device.

Worth getting a sleep study, IMO.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:59pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Izzy
CH.com Junior

Choose life.

Red Deer, AB, Canada
Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:01pm

monty wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:58pm:
[quote]

It totally is worth! Um..what's Imo? Thanks.

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:04pm

It's no wonder we don't want to sleep...

IP Logged

Izzy
CH.com Junior

Choose life.

Red Deer, AB, Canada
Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:06pm

I completely agree with you. It sucks. I hate sleeping & I don't even have it! I just know he's going to wake up crying. And we already go to sleep crying. BLARGH!!!

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:13pm

Izzy wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:01pm:
monty wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:58pm:
[quote]

In My Opinion...

IMHO....  In My Humble Opinion...

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Izzy
CH.com Junior

Choose life.

Red Deer, AB, Canada
Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:19pm

Jeannie wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:13pm:
Izzy wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:01pm:
[quote author=292B2A303D440 link=1223577408/0#7 date=1223582291] [quote]

In My Opinion...

IMHO....  In My Humble Opinion...

Thanks!

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:26pm

I was so lookin forward to dying in my sleep.

Potter

IP Logged

Kit
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Montreal, Quebec
Reply #14 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 5:54pm

Hi, Kit here (wife/ supporter of Chris) -
Chris had sleep apnea but this year has lost 50lbs (go weight watchers) and has since had no signs of apnea (snoring, waking up because he can't breathe, etc...) and then CH appeared. Coincidence? Who knows. It really sucks that he has lost all this weight and still gets hit with something as nasty as CH... isn't weight loss supposed to make you healthier? Well, now he has quit drinking (at least during the cycle) and smoking is the next thing to go. The link you posted mentioned that many sufferers of CH abuse alcohol...from eeverything I had read before that is the first time I heard that. Is that a common thread? Let's use the term "abuse" loosely, Chris is NOT an alcoholic but he does like his beer...just curious.

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #15 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 9:55pm

Kit wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 5:54pm:
. The link you posted mentioned that many sufferers of CH abuse alcohol...from eeverything I had read before that is the first time I heard that. Is that a common thread? Let's use the term "abuse" loosely, .

Lots of links say common thread is heavy drinkers, heavy smokers, very rare in females and that we all have lion shaped faces.   I rarely drink,  not a heavy smoker,  I am a female  and I don't have a lion shaped face.  What seems to be the case is that for every similarity in CH you will find many differences too.    Undecided

What we all do have in common is a screwed up hypothalmus. 

IP Logged

Kit
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Montreal, Quebec
Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 9:59pm

Got it - I think that's what I am figuring out  Sad

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #17 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:14pm

mezza wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 9:55pm:
. The link you posted mentioned that many sufferers of CH abuse alcohol...from eeverything I had read before that is the first time I heard that. Is that a common thread? Let's use the term "abuse" loosely, .

Lots of links say common thread is heavy drinkers, heavy smokers, very rare in females and that we all have lion shaped faces.   I rarely drink,  not a heavy smoker,  I am a female  and I don't have a lion shaped face.  What seems to be the case is that for every similarity in CH you will find many differences too.    Undecided

What we all do have in common is a screwed up hypothalmus.  

Lion shaped face? I've never heard that term, could you explain please? :3

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #18 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:45am

Lots of links say common thread is heavy drinkers, heavy smokers, very rare in females and that we all have lion shaped faces...

Don't forget that we'll all supposed to be tall, too!  Huh

Regards,
Jim  (6'3")

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

LeeS
CH.com Alumnus

I love C12 H16 N2O!

West London, UK, Europe
Reply #19 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 10:21am

I believe it was a chap called Dr Graham who first suggested the "leonine facial appearance" in CH in the late 1960s, amongst many other weird observations.  I also believe that this has subsequently been labelled a myth; see:

Quote:
Journal Current Pain and Headache Reports
Publisher Current Medicine Group LLC
ISSN 1531-3433 (Print) 1534-3081 (Online)
Issue Volume 10, Number 2 / April, 2006
DOI 10.1007/s11916-006-0025-z
Pages 137-141

Cluster headache: Myths and the evidence

Herbert G. Markley1  and Dawn C. Buse1

(1)  New England Regional Headache Center, Inc., 85 Prescott Street, 01605 Worcester, MA, USA

Abstract  Although cluster headache (CH) has been the focus of a great deal of research, it also has been the focus of a great deal of speculations that have been repeated commonly as fact. The authors conducted a thorough review of the literature and an informal poll of several noted headache experts to investigate the truth behind common myths and hypotheses regarding CH. They then present an overview of some of these more common hypotheses, observations, and myths, and offer a brief review of the existing evidence supporting or negating the theories. These include gender, genetics, suicidality, homicidality, physical appearance, personality, and psychologic features of the patient with CH.

-Lee

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #20 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 2:13pm

I have more of a paramecium-shaped face.

IP Logged

Izzy
CH.com Junior

Choose life.

Red Deer, AB, Canada
Reply #21 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:33pm

The link you posted mentioned that many sufferers of CH abuse alcohol...from eeverything I had read before that is the first time I heard that. Is that a common thread? Let's use the term "abuse" loosely, Chris is NOT an alcoholic but he does like his beer...just curious.

I know I read that & thought it was strange that they would use such a strong word! Sorry if it offended; but just so you know I don't use that word. Just because people drink doesn't mean AT ALL that they "abuse." I hate that word. I'm a social drinker...I just like my vodka. My husband doesn't drink at all but that's because it makes him sick, not because he doesn't enjoy it. So to answer your question; NO it's not a common thread. I think some people misunderstand a trigger as something we overuse  & therefore they use that word but it's not...it's just something that could possibly cause a hit is all.

Bless;
Iz

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #22 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:50pm

Kilowatt3 wrote on Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:45am:
Lots of links say common thread is heavy drinkers, heavy smokers, very rare in females and that we all have lion shaped faces...

Don't forget that we'll all supposed to be tall, too!  Huh

Regards,
Jim  (6'3")

My face is heart shaped and I'm 5'7" XD I still have no idea what a lion shaped face would look like, though...

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:53pm

My face is shaped like an ass.

This shit must be all in my head. Which is also my ass. Which is also my face.

IP Logged

Izzy
CH.com Junior

Choose life.

Red Deer, AB, Canada
Reply #24 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:53pm

Pixie-elf wrote on Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:50pm:
[quote author=002227243C2A3F3F784B0 link=1223577408/0#18 date=1223646353][quote author=49415E5E45240 link=1223577408/0#15 date=1223603722]

I still have no idea what a lion shaped face would look like, though...

Jon & I can't figure it out either...but at any rate it would be interesting. He has a Roman-esque face. I don't think faces have anything to with it; there are so many things that vary from person to person it seems...but I enjoy the laugh I get trying to picture a lion face. All I can think of is Beauty & The Beast...which makes us laugh MORE. (If anyone has ever seen the TV special that was on a few years ago with real actors?)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!