Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ritalin? (Read 9285 times)
Kodiak
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Ritalin?
Reply #25 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 11:21pm

Jim-

Can you share the med medley and change in diet that has worked for you?  I am lucky enough to only get them in the evening, where I can find an ice pack and grab the O2 tank and whisk them away within 5-10 minutes, but the prospect of being headache free...

I would do just about anything to get myself to the shadows, not that they are pleasant, but they may not wake me 7 times a night

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #26 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 1:38am

Extracted from the "cluster survey" to the left:

Best PREVENTATIVE method
Ritalin      22      0%      
Prednisone      1093      9%      
Verapamil      902      7%      
Depakote      126      1%      
Sansert      252      2%      
Lithium      240      1%      
Elavil      118      0%      
Lots of water      164      1%      
Combo of treatments      574      4%      
Other      1539      12%      
Nothing works      5590      46%      

Second best PREVENTATIVE method
Ritalin      16      0%      
Prednisone      339      2%      
Verapamil      424      3%      
Depakote      80      0%      
Sansert      130      1%      
Lithium      163      1%      
Elavil      73      0%      
Lots of water      104      0%      
Combo of treatments      621      5%      
Other      1365      11%      
Nothing else works      6391      53%

Best,

George      

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

shelticon2
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Greensboro NC
Reply #27 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 3:00am

Way back in the bad ol' days of my CHs ..Dec '07.. Before I discovered this wonderful forum. I discovered, by accident, that food can trigger these headaches. From that point on I kept a journal. I wrote down everything that I ate or drank and the time I ate it. Any meds I took and the time that I took them. Any headaches that I had, the time that they occurred and their intensity and their durration. I did this for a while.

I then looked at the data and started seeing patterns. My headaches would come at the same times every day, as would my meals. I found that certain foods would trigger headaches and certian would not. I cut out foods that triggered CH and stuck to the few that didn't.
 It occurred to me that, unfortunately, much of the meat we eat these days is full of growth hormones. I searched and found info on the effect of hormones on CHs. I found an article that stated CHs can be caused by low testosterone. To see if this was my case, I went to the nutrition store and got some Amidren*. Amidren is supposed to increase the T. level in aging men. I doubted that low T. was my problem because I had none of the other symptoms generally associated with low T. Besides I was only 44 years old, and didn't consider myself aging . But what the hell, I've tried everything else.
  Up until that day, from the beginning of this whole Ch thing, I had an attack KP7-KP8 between 4pm and 5pm every day. That day (Saturday) I took 2 Amidren at 1:30pm. My 4pm Ch came but was only KP2-KP3. I was speachless. I continued on this track, no other meds, for a couple of months.
  By this time I was documenting everything. I took my notes to my GP. He had never heard of such a thing, and was VERY skepticle. To satisify me, He ran tests.
  My T. was low. he prescribed T. replacement therapy. And I've been on shadows and few KP2s and KP3s ever since.
  I have since modified my diet to one that naturally increases T. and am off the prescription T.

In summary:

I steer clear of meats that have hormones or nitrates . Sugar in any form, white wine ( don't drink red... it's yukkie... can drink whiskey and beer though....Hmmm go figure), and about a thousand other things that are on my bad foods list. Trial and error seems to be the only way to make this list.
  I eat a lot of Peanut Butter, nuts and other T. friendly foods.

*the ingredient that I was looking for when I found Amidren was tribulus terrestirs... I have tried other "male enhancement" products with this ingredient, but no other has worked.

My friendly advise (NOT medical advise) is get your T. levels checked. (Women, I don't know if you would need to check your T. levels or your Est. levels. The hypothalamus controls the pituitary which controls all hormones ) If you are going to your GP anyway, this shouldn't be a problem.  

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND. These are MY experiences. I believe that even though we all may have similar symptoms, that does not mean that we have the same problem. thus we may not respond to the same treatment.

Bumps, bruises and broken bones can be caused by a car accident or a fall off of the roof......Same symptoms, different cause.

PFDs to all Clusterheads and their Cluster families

Jim

Cage the Beast

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #28 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 3:07am

shelticon2 wrote on Oct 18th, 2008 at 3:00am:
   Way back in the bad ol' days of my CHs ..Dec '07.. Before I discovered this wonderful forum. I discovered, by accident, that food can trigger these headaches. From that point on I kept a journal. I wrote down everything that I ate or drank and the time I ate it. Any meds I took and the time that I took them. Any headaches that I had, the time that they occurred and their intensity and their durration. I did this for a while.

I then looked at the data and started seeing patterns. My headaches would come at the same times every day, as would my meals. I found that certain foods would trigger headaches and certian would not. I cut out foods that triggered CH and stuck to the few that didn't.
 It occurred to me that, unfortunately, much of the meat we eat these days is full of growth hormones. I searched and found info on the effect of hormones on CHs. I found an article that stated CHs can be caused by low testosterone. To see if this was my case, I went to the nutrition store and got some Amidren*. Amidren is supposed to increase the T. level in aging men. I doubted that low T. was my problem because I had none of the other symptoms generally associated with low T. Besides I was only 44 years old, and didn't consider myself aging . But what the hell, I've tried everything else.
  Up until that day, from the beginning of this whole Ch thing, I had an attack KP7-KP8 between 4pm and 5pm every day. That day (Saturday) I took 2 Amidren at 1:30pm. My 4pm Ch came but was only KP2-KP3. I was speachless. I continued on this track, no other meds, for a couple of months.
  By this time I was documenting everything. I took my notes to my GP. He had never heard of such a thing, and was VERY skepticle. To satisify me, He ran tests.
  My T. was low. he prescribed T. replacement therapy. And I've been on shadows and few KP2s and KP3s ever since.
  I have since modified my diet to one that naturally increases T. and am off the prescription T.

In summary:

I steer clear of meats that have hormones or nitrates . Sugar in any form, white wine ( don't drink red... it's yukkie... can drink whiskey and beer though....Hmmm go figure), and about a thousand other things that are on my bad foods list. Trial and error seems to be the only way to make this list.
  I eat a lot of Peanut Butter, nuts and other T. friendly foods.

*the ingredient that I was looking for when I found Amidren was tribulus terrestirs... I have tried other "male enhancement" products with this ingredient, but no other has worked.

My friendly advise (NOT medical advise) is get your T. levels checked. (Women, I don't know if you would need to check your T. levels or your Est. levels. The hypothalamus controls the pituitary which controls all hormones ) If you are going to your GP anyway, this shouldn't be a problem.  

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND. These are MY experiences. I believe that even though we all may have similar symptoms, that does not mean that we have the same problem. thus we may not respond to the same treatment.

Bumps, bruises and broken bones can be caused by a car accident or a fall off of the roof......Same symptoms, different cause.

PFDs to all Clusterheads and their Cluster families

Jim

I actually did ask my Neurologist if my Nuvaring/Birth control could be causing this. He informed me that no, Estrogen played no part in the cluster headaches. I did keep a check on the clusters, and had the same number during my menstral cycle as any other time of the month... It IS an idea though...

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

shelticon2
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Greensboro NC
Reply #29 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 2:52pm

Pixie-elf wrote on Oct 18th, 2008 at 3:07am:
I actually did ask my Neurologist if my Nuvaring/Birth control could be causing this. He informed me that no, Estrogen played no part in the cluster headaches. I did keep a check on the clusters, and had the same number during my menstral cycle as any other time of the month... It IS an idea though...

With all due respect to your Neurologist, not one of my 3 Neurologists even considered low T. as a possibility.

Remember, the hypothalumus controls the pituitary and the pituitary controls the hormones.

here is an interesting link..
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If your doctor list is as extensive as mine, adding an Endocrinologist probably wouldn't hurt.

Best of luck to you and your family.

PFDs to All

Jim
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2008 at 10:14pm by shelticon2 »  

Cage the Beast

IP Logged

Whipsmart
CH.com Junior

Hipster Doofus

Mason, MI USA
Reply #30 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:15am

kevmd wrote on Oct 17th, 2008 at 10:42am:
Hey Jim
I support your decision to try ritalin.  Let me say a few things about 02 if you don't mind.  First, o2 is a commitment.  Having the right equipment, getting tanks refilled, taking it everywhere you go....etc
How about getting it just for home use?  Not only does it relieve the pain, but the sense of security knowing you do not have to go through a full blown attack is priceless.  It gives you some of your life back.
I use welders with no effects whatsoever. 

I agree and support everyone's quest to be pain free and find a preventative that actually prevents these things.  But we need a full arsenal to beat this thing down.
Good luck finding something.  I really mean that.  But guess what, (in a polite tone) get yourself some dam O2 Wink

Ritalin is also a commitment.  For any form of the drug, you need a hand written prescription each month.  There are no refills.  It's a class I drug and has a few extra restrictions.

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #31 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 6:42pm

shelticon2 wrote on Oct 16th, 2008 at 11:16pm:
Look, I didn't mean this to turn onto a pissing contest  

don't feel bad. thats easy to do on this board. i didn't follow any of the links posted here but i will say this. i took Ritalin from the age of 8 to 11 twice daily. i was one of those unruly smart ass kids so they put me on some pills. anyways after i stopped taking Ritalin  is when i started having ch. i dunno know. if you do decide to try Ritalin let us know if it works. 

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #32 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 6:55pm

Potter wrote on Oct 16th, 2008 at 1:27pm:
Reported methylphenidate side effects include psychosis (abnormal thinking or hallucinations), difficulty sleeping, mood swings, mood changes, nervousness, stomach aches, diarrhea, headaches, decreased sex drive, lack of hunger (leading to weight loss), gum and skin bleeding, dry mouth, and irritability.[18]

Less common side effects include palpitations, high blood pressure and tachycardia

Get the oxygen.

Potter

sounds like chantex. it got got my wife to quit smoking but it did make turn her into a real cranky bitch. keep in mind jim for the vast majority of us o2 when properly used works the best. as far as abortives go it's the cats ass. also o2 doesn't interfere with other meds you might be taking. what ever you deside to do give it a few days to work and try not to overdue it in desperation.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2008 at 7:07pm by -johnny- »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!