Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello world (Read 1845 times)
Keith Lee
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hello world
Oct 26th, 2008 at 3:02am

I'm Keith. I live in Lexington, Kentucky, with my wife and our three beautiful dogs. I work as a public relations hack for a university medical center. My hobbies include friends, food, movies, sarcasm, and avoiding housework. I also spend way too much time on the Internet.

Any other relevant details about me will probably become evident in subsequent postings. Here's my CH history for those who want to compare notes.

I am a 37-year-old male with a 15-year history of episodic cluster headache. A family-practice physician made the diagnosis about 8 years ago after a normal CT scan.  My cluster periods occur once or twice a year (almost always around the change of seasons at the start of fall and sometimes spring), and they usually last 4-5 weeks.

Attacks happen once or twice daily, about the same time each day, and they last from 45 minutes to three hours. Key symptoms are rapid onset of severe pain (right-temporal and periorbital), with right-sided nasal congestion, localized forehead sweating and some tearing in the right eye.

Intranasal sumitriptan (20 mg) is effective at aborting  most attacks. Twice in the past ten years I have been treated in the emergency room when sumitriptan failed. Both times I received an injection (DHE? Demerol? I do not know what, because it fairly well knocked me out.)  Oxygen was given once, but it did not bring significant relief; however, it may have been administered at an insufficient flow rate.

And there you have it, from the dismal frontiers of neuroscience.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: Hello world
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 3:10am

Nice to meet ya Keith. welcome to the party.
In case you didn't know.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or RegisterMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 3:33am

Welcome Keith,
     Jeez, sounds like you have cluster headaches.
                       Nice to meet Ya
                            JPC

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:39am

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $50 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book....")

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

=========================

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the best overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article if you are serious about keeping a
good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 1:43am

Hi, Keith!

Just what we need!  Another sarcastic smartass!!  LOL!  We can have some REAL fun!

Welcome to the nut house family!

Yup, sure sounds like clusters to me!  You have a great GP to get the right diagnosis!  Keep him/her!

Now, you need to get set up on OXYGEN!  It is far safer, costs less, and is usually VERY effective, if taken properly.  At the top of the medications section there are two threads that should answer most of your questions about oxygen.  If you have any other questions, ask or send me a PM.

Looks like you have a bit of reading to do on this site!!  Lots of good info here.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:46pm

Welcome to the family!  I don' know what we will do if you get sarcastic though.  None of the rest of us EVER do!   Cheesy  I think for many of us it is a defense mechanism. 

I have to agree with Chuck, much as I hate to admit it, but O2 is an excellent option for you to pursue.  Works very well for most of us.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Jason
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

College Grove, TN
Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:51pm

Welcome sir !!

Maybe a Wildcat to spar with every now and again will get these headaches out of my system !! Smiley

I am new here also and hope to get my first dose of oxygen tomorrow.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 12:28am

Bob's given you some awesome reading material. Most peoples experience has been you get the best results from educating yourself and then working in partnership with an open minded doc. Most just don't know enough about CH, although it sounds like you got lucky and found a knowledgeable GP!

Only thing I'd suggest is you look into some of the preventative treatments available. Meds you take while you are on cycle to reduce number and instensity of your hits. I use lithium at 1200 mg a day, verapamil and topomax are other common prevents.

Welcome to the board. Chuck is actually posting from an insane asylum using a laptop with no sharp edges, ignore ANYTHING  he says! Grin Glad you found us, welcome to your new second home!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:59am

Guiseppi wrote on Oct 31st, 2008 at 12:28am:
Chuck is actually posting from an insane asylum using a laptop with no sharp edges,

HEY!!!  The little voice in my head told me this is NOT an insane asylum!

It is just a place where they take good care of you.  For instance, they even put cushions all around the room so if you should fall you won't hurt yourself.  And they want to make sure you are warm, so they give you this nice coat, with LONG arms.  The arms are so long, that they have to attach them behind your back, so that you don't trip.  

How nice is THAT  ?!?!

Chuck

(OOOOPPPSSS!!!  I have to go now, as they want to do that thing that they do with the wires attached to my head.  It REALLY gives you a buzz!)

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 6:35am

Keith,

Pay NO attention to Chuck - he's a "little' strange. Smiley We only allow him around here cause his docs say to "humor" him....

Read Read Read. We have more information on this board than most medical schools do (on CH that is).

And you'll find out that most of us PUSH O2 big time - why? Because it works for about 70% of us if used properly.

Welcome to Clusterville.... Sorry you had to find us, but now that you're "family" - well, expect to be treated that way (we're really a good bunch of nutz)...

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!