Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
amitriptyline? (Read 3387 times)
mattyc
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

amitriptyline?
Oct 27th, 2008 at 7:41pm

I saw a neurologists today and he prrescribed amitriptyline 10 mg tablets.(one per day). wondering if anyone had tried it for CH and any other info on the med. I asked about O2 and he agreed it was a proven abortive but did not know how to write a script for it and said he would talk to another doc about getting it prescribed ?????? In his defense he is new at the practice and might not know procedures. You alls thoughts on this are appreciated. Finally i told him i have dealt w/ CH for 14 yrs and have been diagnosed by 2 other docs before but it seemed like he didn't believe me and wants an MRI and that shit is pricey as hell. My last episode was 4 years ago so I am considered a new patient  and gotta go through the rigamarol of explaining to a new doc that i have cluster migraines I don't know about this dude. Any thoughts or experiences anyone has would be greatfully apreciated. Stay PF

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: amitriptyline?
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 8:29pm

mattyc wrote on Oct 27th, 2008 at 7:41pm:
I saw a neurologists today and he prrescribed amitriptyline 10 mg tablets.(one per day). wondering if anyone had tried it for CH and any other info on the med.

He's reading an OLD text. Tried that 15-20 yrs ago...didn't touch the ch, didn't even help the depression accompanying the ch...made getting out of bed in the morning the major accomplishment of the day.

I asked about O2 and he agreed it was a proven abortive but did not know how to write a script for it and said he would talk to another doc about getting it prescribed ?????? In his defense he is new at the practice and might not know procedures. You alls thoughts on this are appreciated.

Points for honesty but that's all. If he knows it is a proven abortive he should be falling all over himself to prescribe it (including calling a colleague while you are there). Go to the sticky post titled "Help in getting O2 prescribed". Print out the appropriate info and get it to him FAST. One of the tenets of clusterville is that it is YOUR job to educate your doc. (see Guisseppi)...or suffer the consequences.

Finally i told him i have dealt w/ CH for 14 yrs and have been diagnosed by 2 other docs before but it seemed like he didn't believe me and wants an MRI and that shit is pricey as hell. My last episode was 4 years ago so I am considered a new patient  and gotta go through the rigamarol of explaining to a new doc that i have cluster migraines I don't know about this dude. Any thoughts or experiences anyone has would be greatfully apreciated. Stay PF

Get your records. I've never had a doc force me to take tests I didn't want or couldn't afford. If they ever did, I'm movin' on...

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 10:21pm

I tried Amitriptyline about ten years ago and it seemed to help me sleep but it only helped for about a month, everyone reacts different to the meds so give it a try.  Your best bet with the o2 is to print out the info in the links to the left so you will get a regulator that works most doctor will perscribe 6-7lpm and that doesn't work.  Look at some of Batch's posts he is the o2 guru and knows what the doctors need.
  Best of luck,  Phil Cool

IP Logged

Johnnystar
CH.com Newbie

Still flowing

Middle of Mississippi River MN
Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 12:16pm

I did amitriptyline in the 1980's.  I don't think it did much of anything.

In the 1990's I did ercaf and suspected id lengthened my cycles.

Now I'm doing fresh air, water, coffee and RedBull....yuck.  I'll see if this does anything.  At least it's cheap.

Best wishes for PF days and a short cycle.

Johnnystar

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 2:48pm

During the year I have been relatively actively here in the forums, I have never heard of anyone who has had any kind of big help from amitriptyline.

I guess it could still work. We're all different.

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 6:10pm

I tried 25mg of it and it didn't help my ch.  You should do a search on the ch board for Elavil.  That is the brand name.  It is known to help some people in clinical studies but havent heard of it haveing any success here on the msg board.  Good luck.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

ninja mom
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 1:49pm

I take elavil at night-low dose-to help with sleep.  Does squat for CH.

Hope it helps you,
PFDAN y'all
kathy

Words count, chose carefully.

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 3:27pm

hi there

I posted about this not to long ago and no one really had any posative results to tell me about so i never even tryde it.

I did do a search on google about its use for CH and again nothing to possative.

PF wishes to ya
Brian

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

debOUCH
CH.com Old Timer

..&^%*%$(*&^&^%..

x0|Holbrook|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 7:39pm

hey mattyc...........i have been on elavil for about 6 mths now, ...............i started @ 10 mg @ night, and increased to 25 mg.............i sleep great........and so far it basically is keeping the beast @ bay..........(all my hits were between 9pm-9am usually).......i go thru periods of shadows and minor hits,which an energy drink will help me with, but that's it..........every month or so i try to go off, and by the 3rd or 4th day, i can feel the beast coming through stronger, so i just go back on...............so i can absolutely say it is working for me.........i sometimes wonder why it is working for me, when it is such an old drug and i know no one else that it works for....but , then i think , "this drug was made for me"!!!!! hope u have success!
deb Smiley

Deb Piscitelli Powers winelova50  
IP Logged

julie2477
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:56am

Hi there,
Amitriptyline saved me completely. I started at 10mg but moved up to 50. At 50 I had zero pain and felt better than I had for months. I was in very bad shape when I started taking it - I was having about 9 headaches a day and had stopped working for a while. With Amitriptyline I was able to get completely back on track. after 5 days of medications all pain was gone and I had no more headaches. I took it for 4 months and have been in remission for 2 years - the longest I have been in remission in many years. You should try this drug and consider increasing the dosage if it's not working at 10mg.

Also, a neurologist wouldn't have much experience prescribing oxygen at it's typically a GP or a pulmonologist. I think your doctor sounds very good, especially since he took your oxygen request in consideration.

Good luck - hang in there.

Best,

Julie

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 10:59pm

I'm on 75mg of it, but my body doesn't metabolize ANYTHING properly... I think it has helped a bit with the intensity.

My doctor said we may not notice a huge difference in me until we hit 300mg...

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

debOUCH
CH.com Old Timer

..&^%*%$(*&^&^%..

x0|Holbrook|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 12:02pm

geez..............just proves that everyone's body is so totally different.................i am doing great on 25mg & only @ bedtime...........it still "knocks me out" also, and i sleep 10 hrs a night! thus, the later i take it, the later i sleep! since i am unemployed still, i can take it later! and ever since i have been taking it , i can have my wine without it being a trigger............................i just cant seem to get off of it, but still attempt every few weeks...............my wish is for everyone on this board to find something which works for them............................
deb

Deb Piscitelli Powers winelova50  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:26pm

amilripyline is a trigger for me , so is red wine. I guess I'm different as well. Wink
careful with the triggers out there.
thebb

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 5:53am

5mg of it and I can't wake up for days.... One thing I just can't take, but there's a lot of stuff I can't take...

As to the O2 -- Get the info off the board and get back to the neuro!!! Get the O2 NOW!!!! And be sure you do it right! (Information on board).

Someone's already said - Educate your doc - he's YOUNG -he can learn.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Aquamarine2003
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 12:50am

I have been on amitriptyline 50mg for almost 3 years & was CH free until 3 weeks ago.  My doc has now prescribed topamax & imitrex. Hope it works!

Deb

IP Logged

echo
CH.com Alumnus

Chronic and still alive
--- I Win!

Overland Park, KS
Reply #15 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 5:30pm

Tried it in the mid to late 80's.  Was on 30 mg three times a day.  Appeared to work for a couple of months then nothing.

"If you love something, let it go.  If it doesn't come back,  hunt it down and kill it". Proud father of a US Marine,  Marine turned COP, Navy Corpsman, and KS Army National Guard. Our  4 sons serve.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!