Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New user 2nd bout (Read 1074 times)
loxely
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New user 2nd bout
Oct 29th, 2008 at 3:29pm

I live in the UK and am currently experiencing my 2nd bout of cluster headaches.  My first was about 9 months ago and came and went fairly quickly within 4 weeks and only had one bout per day.

This time round seems dramitically different.  It has now been 7 weeks and been having 5 bouts a day.  Last night had one for nearly three hours and it felt like I was about to die.  Never had one for quite that long or intense before. 

My doc has tried me on Sumatriptan Nasal Sprays & prednisole which didnt make a dent in them at all.  Now trying almotriptan (not sure what the difference is appart from these being tablets) and pizotifen.

Started to feel like I am at breaking point at the moment.  Trying to explain to people the amount of pain I am in is difficult wihtout seeming like I am exagerating.

Has anyone got any advice on the best ways to avert them.

Nice to feel like I am not the only person in the world feeling this way.

Thanks

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Re: New user 2nd bout
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 8:03pm

Welcome and sorry that your having such a ruff time.  There is a great letter on the "Getting to Know Ya" page at the top "letter to employers and colleagues" It is good to show to about anyone, but in my 15 years with these ch its hard to get someone to understand what you are going through unless they have gone through it there self.  There are alot of us here that know what it feels like so your not alone.
  Sorry to hear the triptans are not working, there are other meds for aborting an attack like oxygen and energy drinks,  if you havn't tried o2 yet that would be worth a shot it seems to work for about 70% of clusterheads.  Hang in there and read all the links on this site you will find some thing that works.
     pf days and nights,  Phil

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 8:13pm

Maybe something here,
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Imigran injections?

or here
clusterbusters.com

Get some 02,caffeine???
did I mention 02
all the best to you and keep on the good fight.
thebb

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 11:40pm

O2, O2, O2, in that order. Smiley

Not trying to be flippant, but most of us here have found it ot be effective, fast, inexpensive, and side effect free, (other than a light headed feeling of relief when the pain goes away in just minutes).

Until you can get some O2 you might try an energy drink like Red Bull.  Slam it down as fast as you can drink at the first sign of an attack.  I have had it abort an attack in as little as 5 minutes if I got it early enough.  You don't want this to be your first line of defense though, but it is good for occasional use.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 12:35am

The only thing I'd add to what the other guys have said is to look into a preventative strategy. That's a med you take while on cycle to reduce the number and intensity of your hits. I use lithium at 1200 mg a day while on cycle. Blocks about 80% of my attacks. Oxygen beats down most of the rest. Lithium takes about 10-14 days to become effective for me, I use a prednisone taper during that time, sounds like the pred hasn't worked for you though.

Other common prevents are topomax and verapamil. Might be worth chatting with your doc about.

Sorry you're getting creamed, hang in there, we've all been there. Cry

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 3:30pm

Almotriptan is better known as Axert.  It is used as an abortive.  (Imitrex also has tablets but they take far too long to be effective)

Pizotifen is used as a preventative.  I'm glad to see that he is taking a 2=pronged appraoach for you...but please ask him for a script for oxygen also. 

02 to be delivered with a regulator that goes to  15 to 25 lpm, using a non-rebreather mask (NOT cannulas) 

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!