Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Generic Imitrex Pills?? (Read 2365 times)
Buddyjay
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Generic Imitrex Pills??
Oct 30th, 2008 at 6:30pm

Is there a generic Imitrex Pills? I was told that it wasn't coming out until next year. I did a quick search and found that it IS out.
Does anyone use a reputable dealer for these? Where can I get them.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2008 at 1:56pm by Buddyjay »  

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Generic Imitrex??
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 7:32pm

Hi Buddy,

Don't get too excited ... yet.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The folks in the 2nd link are very close to sales of vials.  However I couldn't find anyone actually selling the stuff yet.  YMMV.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Re: Generic Imitrex??
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 7:43pm

I havn't seen it yet but it looks like it sould be coming soon, I get my Imitrex through the VA and they always give generic if its available.
Hope its here soon then the price should drop no more monopoly by gsk.
     Phil Cool

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Re: Generic Imitrex Pills??
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 6:30pm

Buddy, I've been buying generic Sumatriptan from Canada since June. I don't know about the injectable stuff, but since you asked for pills you might try this:

good luck!
David

IP Logged

billyjoe
CH.com Veteran

Berthoud, Colorado
Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 7:01pm

Hay David,
   What do you order and what amount of pills do you use to abort a hit?   I assume it works pretty good for you?

Thanks,
Bill

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 12:08am

Last time I checked with Mexican pharmacies (a couple of weeks ago), 100 mg generic pills were $35 for 7 pills.

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 12:48pm

billyjoe wrote on Oct 31st, 2008 at 7:01pm:
Hay David,
  What do you order and what amount of pills do you use to abort a hit?   I assume it works pretty good for you?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill - well strictly speaking Imitrex doesn't abort one but stops it once it starts. I might not be quite so nifty on the terminology as others here. As an abortive I use Topamax, which is also available at the Canadian pharmacies.

Far as I know the usual dose of Sumatriptan aka Imitrex is 100mg. You can take a maximum of 2 in 24 hours. I've never needed more than one, and I use it very, very sparingly. Think I ordered 12 of them for about $100... so Mrs. T. is beating that by rather a good margin in Mexico. (I'd love to have a link to that Mrs. T., if you're still reading this thread)

Have you tried oxygen? If not, I highly recommend it. Others here can give you more info, especially when it come to dealing with insurance companies. I just bought myself a tank of welder's 02 and fill it when necessary.

Good luck with all this - let me know if I can help further.
David

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 12:40pm

Balanchine wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 12:48pm:
billyjoe wrote on Oct 31st, 2008 at 7:01pm:
Hay David,
   What do you order and what amount of pills do you use to abort a hit?   I assume it works pretty good for you?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill - well strictly speaking Imitrex doesn't abort one but stops it once it starts. I might not be quite so nifty on the terminology as others here. As an abortive I use Topamax, which is also available at the Canadian pharmacies.

Far as I know the usual dose of Sumatriptan aka Imitrex is 100mg. You can take a maximum of 2 in 24 hours. I've never needed more than one, and I use it very, very sparingly. Think I ordered 12 of them for about $100... so Mrs. T. is beating that by rather a good margin in Mexico. (I'd love to have a link to that Mrs. T., if you're still reading this thread)

Have you tried oxygen? If not, I highly recommend it. Others here can give you more info, especially when it come to dealing with insurance companies. I just bought myself a tank of welder's 02 and fill it when necessary.

Good luck with all this - let me know if I can help further.
David

Hey David,

Just to update you on your terminology, anything you take to stop a hit is an abortive. Like Imitrex, and O2, they stop, or abort a hit.

The Topomax you are taking is a preventative. When you take that, or other things like Verapamil, Lithium, or other drugs on a daily basis, these are designed to prevent hits.

Do you really get relief from taking an Imitrex pill? Trex tablets usually take much too long to kick in for most of us. Have you tried using the nasal spray or the stat-dose injections? The work in just a few minutes for most people. Also, the pill form is available in 25, 50 and 100 mg.

If you get the vials, you can split the shots easily. One vial equals a stat-dose injection, and I get up to 3 doses from a vial, without any side effects, and it also cuts down on the possibility of rebound headaches.

DennisM1045 wrote on Oct 30th, 2008 at 7:32pm:
Hi Buddy,

Don't get too excited ... yet.

The folks in the 2nd link are very close to sales of vials.  However I couldn't find anyone actually selling the stuff yet.  YMMV.

-Dennis-

I wish the generic would come out already!

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 7:48pm

Balanchine wrote on Nov 1st, 2008 at 12:48pm:
[quote author=494247475241444E2B0 link=1225405827/4#4 date=1225494086]

I've never needed more than one, and I use it very, very sparingly. Think I ordered 12 of them for about $100... so Mrs. T. is beating that by rather a good margin in Mexico. (I'd love to have a link to that Mrs. T., if you're still reading this thread)

Hi, David.  Here's everything I've done and known.  I bought injections in Mexico many many years ago when I didn't have insurance.  At least 12 years ago, and at that time it was $25 shot (single shot).  Of course it's a pre-measured syringe for an auto-injector, so I was eye balling about 1/3 a shot at a time.  My neuro as well as my sister-in-law (M.D.) had no problem with my re-using the same syringe/needle, if I use up the shot in a week or two.  That was the last time I used Imitrex from Mexico.  Since then I've had my local pharmacy order injections in multi-dose vials to use with disposable insulin syringes.  That made my life a lot easier.

This time I'm between insurance again, and I had prices checked by a Mexican friend who visits his family every other weekend or so.  Injections are $30 for two shots (Imitrex), and generic pills are $35 for seven 100 mg tablets.  They've been out of injections for some time for some reason.  Mexican pharmacies apparently have some network going, and if one pharmacy doesn't have what you want, they get it from other stores for you.  Our friend checked 4 pharmacies in Tijuana, and generic pills are easy to find but not injections currently.

I tend to doubt you can get it via mail-order.  You need to be there physically.  Fluency in Spanish most definitely helps!  You don't need Rx to purchase, but you have to have Rx in your hand to cross the boarder.  Tons of San Diegans go to Tijuana to purchase meds.  Packages are different (in Spanish, of course), and many of them have a different name (i.e., Imitrex vs. Imigram).  But they're all the same, manufactured by Glaxo, Abott, whatever.

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 12:07pm

Thanks a million, Mrs! Even though I live in LA I seldom find myself further south than downtown for some reason.  But maybe I should venture Tijuanaward one of these days...

I'll hang onto your advice. Some years back I remember buying some antibiotics somewhere south of T-town and it was quite easy.

Really appreciate your taking the time to write!
David

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 9:34pm

No problem, David.  I haven't been to TJ for over 20 years myself LOL.  Feel free to PM me when you plan on going down.  I'll ask my friend which pharmacies to try, and he can certainly get the phone numbers too so that you wouldn't waste your trip in case they're out.  He's originally from TJ, and his Mom still lives there.

IP Logged

cluster_kiwi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 5:16pm

Hi,
I've just had my CH return after 2.5 years and have tried generic Imigran tablets for the first time. Although they take about 30 - 40mins to kick in, they work really well. I take 50mg tablets of wich you can take 6 a day if needs be, vs only 2 injections. At night I take a tablet and use oxygen, which gives me the short term benefit of the oxygen and the longer term relief fromt he tablet.
This works really well for me and I can encourage anyone to try it out.
Regards, Christian

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 8:28pm

I appreciate that, MT. At the moment I have a good supply on hand from my last Canadian purchase. Think I'd have to be going that way anyway for the price difference to make sense... but OTOH, I love burritos! I'll keep your kind offer in mind.

D.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!