Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dancing on a plane (Read 2009 times)
sarivia
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Dancing on a plane
Nov 8th, 2008 at 11:23am

Hi all.  I am fortunate (I guess) to be an episodic clusterhead...fall is my season.  I'm on day 8 of a most likely 2 month cycle..exhausted..of course.  I am scheduled to leave for a vacation in 2 days and have never traveled during a cycle.  I'm looking for information about flying...does it have any effect on your headaches?  I'm hoping to cut this one short since I'm traveling to a warmer climate, but I'm worried that I'm going to have an extremely painful flight...I'd look pretty psychotic doing the dance on a plane!

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Dancing on a plane
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 11:50am

All you can do is bring your weapons with you.

Do you use Imitrex injections?  They work well on a plane.  Those you're likely to freek out the passengers next to you  Roll Eyes

I you use Oxygen, see if your supplier can work something out with the locals where you are going.  Maybe they can have a coupe of e-tanks waiting for you.

Good luck and have fun!!!

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 11:55am

I flew to Italy when I was 16. Honestly.....it sucked. I remember having a HA on the plane, people were smoking in the back where our seats were. It was the worst trip of my life. I couldn't pace up and down the isle's. people would have thought I was crazy!!!! Just being honest.

life is great clean. thanks NA and rehab. clean date August 4, 2010
chris_kels 420chris420 cohen.chris@ymail.com  
IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 1:13pm

The worst attack I ever had was on an airplane.  No meds and no place to go.  Had to just set there and deep breath until it was gone.  Not fun.

Hope you have some stuff to take with you.  Take a baggie with ya to fill with ice.  Better than nothing.

Hope you have a PF flight
                                              JPC

IP Logged

shark boy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:28pm

Hi Sarivia, Your question, does flying have any effect on your headaches? For me I believe it is a trigger. I cannot get on a plane without having some kind of an attack. My profession requires me to fly sometimes daily and I believe jet lag and changing time zones is part of the problem. Like Dennis said take weapons with you and have 02 waiting for you when you get on land.

Good luck and enjoy the warm climate.

Shark Boy

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:44pm

If I had to endure a long flight at high tide I would use a shot of DHE as sort of a prevent. I rarely use the stuff because it hurts!!!! soo dam bad but it almost always gives me 24 hours of sanity.

The dam Imitrex is a 50/50 but the DHE is more 80/20 for me.

Commercial aircraft usually carry E tanks and if you have a non-rebreather style mask it might be prudent to bring it with you in your carry on.

Roland. Smiley

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:50pm

sarivia wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 11:23am:
I'm worried that I'm going to have an extremely painful flight...I'd look pretty psychotic doing the dance on a plane!

Been there ...
Done that ...
Hell, I even WORE out the tee shirt!

I usually rely on a 'trex shoot, when flying.  BUT, there have been a few times when I didn't have the 'trex, and I suffered through.  Twice, I used the airline's onboard tank, but it only went to 8LPM, but it still aborted the hit, just not as fast.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Tanyana
CH.com Junior

What? Now???

Hayden id usa
Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 7:09pm

just few a 40 min flight a month ago and would gladly have died  thought that if the plane went down i would't care " that was such a bad thought.  had my family with me!!!"   took predisone before flight and got no help!!   
Plane landed and I went straight to hosp.  where i had to tell er doc how to give the o2    Well, good news.  If you look on the site for you flight ex. southwest airlines, you will find info on o2 on the plane you have to call ahead of time and pay a price and you have to use their equip  but i will never go on a nother plane with out this option again   Car Rolling kids SCREMING who cares,  I'm not flying with out o2 again.     Hope this helps you and you will need a script from your doc to take to the airport with you

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!
Patricia Anderson Roth  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 8:46pm

Another thought here...

I almost always get hit once the plane lands.  Usually within a half hour.  So for occasions when I need to fly I use Frovatriptan (Frova). This was a tip from Helen a.k.a witchypoo a.k.a that crazy brit.

Frovatriptan has a 24 hour half life and I'll usually be PF for most of a day when I use it. 

The trick to taking it is to take it 3 hours before you think you might get hit.  That's how long it takes to become effective.  I know I'm gonna get hit a half hour after the plane lands so I try to time the dose 3 hours before that. 

This may or may not apply to your situation as you're only worried about getting hit and don't have foreknowledge that you WILL be getting hit.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 11:21pm

Try Frova as Dennis said- gets me about 20 hours of pf time.  Remember it takes too long to use as an abortive- In cycle, I would take it in the am to get me through the day and night.   Maybe your doc would give you a sample pack?  Good luck to you

kelly

IP Logged

sarivia
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 7:39am

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to try to get the o2 approved for the plane since that is what I use at home...I haven't tried any of the recommended drugs except Imitrex...which doesn't help me and I hate the way it makes me feel. I'm hoping I won't get hit until I land...at least there's room to hide in the airport!

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 8:15am

I got hit on a flight to Panana City, FL for a conference for my technology club in college.  The bad thing about it was it was the very first hit I had in that cycle which kind of ruined my vacation/conference.
During that weekend We had a technology competition with schools from across the country.
It was kind of like Jeopardy with questions pertaining to our major.  I was so happy to get to the second round, but was beaten out and then then shadows started.  I had to go back to my hotel room to fight it out.
Back then I had no weapons and had to explain to my college buddies what I was going through.  The cycle however was very short (like 2 weeks), but it came at the worst time. 

Sorry for getting off track there.

If I fly again during a cycle, i'm just keeping that Imitrex injection handy.  I don't care what others around me think either.  If they only knew the pain we go through.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #12 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 9:19am

Tanyana wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 7:09pm:
just few a 40 min flight a month ago and would gladly have died  thought that if the plane went down i would't care " that was such a bad thought.  had my family with me!!!"   took predisone before flight and got no help!!  
Plane landed and I went straight to hosp.  where i had to tell er doc how to give the o2    Well, good news.  If you look on the site for you flight ex. southwest airlines, you will find info on o2 on the plane you have to call ahead of time and pay a price and you have to use their equip  but i will never go on a nother plane with out this option again   Car Rolling kids SCREMING who cares,  I'm not flying with out o2 again.     Hope this helps you and you will need a script from your doc to take to the airport with you

you showed a doctor how to administer oxygen?  That's bullshit.

Potter

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!