Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The O2PTIMASK, better than expected!! (Read 3392 times)
Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
The O2PTIMASK, better than expected!!
Nov 8th, 2008 at 1:57pm

Since I started using the O2ptimask with the 3-liter bag, I've been able to relax and breathe more deeply with no restriction. This has all but eliminated the panic associated with the disposable non-rebreather mask. The fit and seal of the standard face mask is very good  and there are no external check valves to fall off. Being able to take deep breaths with totally unrestricted flow makes this the perfect abortive tool. In the short time I've had mine, I've used it to abort nearly all my Cluster Headache attacks in the shortest times I've ever experienced. I just ordered a second O2ptimask for my truck.

Sincerely, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: The O2PTIMASK, better than expected!!
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 2:02pm

WOOHOO, Don!

I love hearing of success stories like yours!

It makes and oxygen and Optimask pusher, like me, feel GREAT!  It IS an AWESOME mask!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 2:30pm

Chuck,

It is an great mask, if I had some money I'd buy some stock. Just may anyway. Hey are you going to St. Louis??  I'd like to meet your awesome self.        ,Don
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2008 at 2:30pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 2:45pm

YUP!  Got my fight reservations all paid for!  I have yet to book my room.

Are you SURE you are ready to meet me?

<tsk, tsk, TSK>

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 2:56pm

yup...I got one too...and I LOVE it...but there is no doubting my first love, and that would be Ben's clustermasx. It was SO much better than ANYTHING I ever used before. He was in my thoughts and prayers constantly...what a gift and only $25...

Never heard what really happened there, and more's the pity. If you're out there Ben...I LOVE YOU MAN!

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:22pm

jon019 wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 2:56pm:
...but there is no doubting my first love, and that would be Ben's clustermasx. It was SO much better than ANYTHING I ever used before.

Jon, I am glad that you mentioned this!  I have often wondered what the difference is between the two of them.  I bought a LOT of Ben's masks, and swore by them.  But in looking at the Optimask, I though they were the same.

Now that I use a Demand Valve mask, I don't use either one, BUT I see that the Optimask is (by looking at it) virtually the same as Ben's ClustermasxTM.

What is the difference, except in the bag?

Chuck

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 10:01pm

Hi Chuck,

I sprung for the "cadillac" optimask because it is cleanable. Couldn't do that with the clustermax and mine got so gross I was worried about trading hits for infections. Figured costs in the long run would favor the om.

Other comments:

cm pillow soft, no matter how hard you cram it into your face
om not as flexible and it is hard to get a really comfortable fit,
but it'll do

cm light and relatively small, om bulky and definitely heavier, harder to pack

om smells and tastes like rubber, that took some getting used to and I still don't like that part, cm nonesuch

om is freakin' blue, I don't know why but I find that strange

All in all, if the cm had stayed available we wouldn't be having this discussion cuz I'd still be using it...no intent to trash the om but "first loves"  oh my...

Now then, what is a demand valve mask??? I've heard of and researched the valve (damned expensive) and wondered what the whole setup looks like and how it works? I'd ask for a pic but those don't load for me anymore here...got a website link?

Best,

Jon

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 12:29am

Jon, most of the complaints that you have, while valid, are due to the mask itself, not all the other apparatus.  If you wish, I have several cushioned masks, that I bought to have on hand.  I would be glad to send one or more to you.

You can just switch out the mask, and the rest is the same.

Let me know if you want one, as I bought these just to have on hand, in case anyone needed one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for your question about the demand valve system, I am going to start a new thread, explaining it, and how it works, so that others, who may be interested won't miss it, as they might, while buried in this thread.

I already have pictures of it up in the stickied thread above Oxygen Terms Explained.   Are you saying that you cannot see those pictures?  I can email them to you, if that would work.

Chuck

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 1:22pm

ClusterChuck wrote on Nov 9th, 2008 at 12:29am:
Jon, most of the complaints that you have, while valid, are due to the mask itself, not all the other apparatus.

[size=14]Yup, I recognize that (and have a scruffy beard which sure doesn't help). Not quite complaints, I was responding to your request for comparisons

If you wish, I have several cushioned masks, that I bought to have on hand.  I would be glad to send one or more to you.

I know you would and I am appreciative. Right now committed to making this one work...save 'em for a more deserving brother or sister clusterhead...

You can just switch out the mask, and the rest is the same.

Let me know if you want one, as I bought these just to have on hand, in case anyone needed one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for your question about the demand valve system, I am going to start a new thread, explaining it, and how it works, so that others, who may be interested won't miss it, as they might, while buried in this thread.

Thank you!!!

I already have pictures of it up in the stickied thread above Oxygen Terms Explained.   Are you saying that you cannot see those pictures?  I can email them to you, if that would work.

Some of the pics show and some don't...the demand valve system does not...so yes, pls send by pm

Best,

Jon

Chuck

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 2:08pm

Yes Chuck I do want to meet you and thank you in person for the good work for us Clusterheads you do.

The 3 liter bag is the MOST IMPORTANT advance for CH I can see, except the demand valve, which I can't afford yet. When in the panic stage of a hit there is no other way to get past this. It has given me the hope that just wasn't there.

So when cost is a factor, you cannot beat this set up. It makes the old non-reabreather look ancient, like me sort of.

From the days of the spear and into the age of nuclear, technology is bringing relief.  , Don

Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!