Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Member. (Read 797 times)
Jax
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New Member.
Nov 12th, 2008 at 9:27pm

Hello everyone

I have been looking for this place for 15 years

Im 31 now, but I started getting the headaches in high school.  Most of the time I would have my parents check me out of school because I just couldnt sit at my desk anymore.  Since then I have just grown to live with the pain cycles.  I had given up on really finding out what was wrong with me. 

I have pretty much lways thought this symptom was sinus related because I get the same attack, in the same place, every day in the fall.  When the leaves change, the headaches come. 

Its true that nobody else around me can understand the pain Ive been going through for so many years.  Except the people here.

The only reason I started to look for more information about my condition is because I now have a son.  He's 9 months old now.  Obviously my priorities have changed.  Before, If I died, it really wouldnt have mattered except for my wife.  But now with a child, I wanted to make sure there wasnt something seriously wrong with me like a tumor or cancer or something like that.

I stumbled on a site about CH and immediately it was like a weight lifted off my shoulders....I HAVE THAT.  I know what it is.  AND IM NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to say hello....I wont post very much, but I am really glad to find people like me out there....and i can hopefully get some help other than pacing the yard at 3am every night and gobbling up OTC pain pills like skittles.

I would like some info on the oxygen.  One of the things that seems to work is going outside and pacing.  So even the oxygen outside has helped and would probably work even better in a pure form.

Thanks

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: New Member.
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 10:01pm

Hi and welcome.

Here is some info on oxygen Jax.  You will need a precription from your Dr. for medical grade 02 or you can go the welders route.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I don't know why you said you won't post much.  We want to hear from you.  What you've tried, what has worked and not worked.  We want you to ask questions.  That is the reason this site exists.

Helpful suggestion?   Stop the OTC pain killers.  They'll tear your stomache up and do nothing for this kind of pain.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 10:20pm

You better listen to, Linda......You dont want to make her mad!  Wink

So keep posting.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 12:43pm

Please, start learning about your options.

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the best overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article if you are serious about keeping a
good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!