Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MSG (Read 1349 times)
rick405
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Charleston SC
MSG
Nov 14th, 2008 at 9:35am

Has anyone cut out the MSG in there diet?  Went to Chinese restaurant last sat night. Ate, paid, got in the car and by the time I was out of the parking lot BAM!!! It hit like a sledge hammer, so home to my new bright and shinny O2 tank I go. A friend of mine mentioned MSG so I looked it up and it has been known to trigger "extreme headaches". I have now read every food label I have and have not eaten any MSG since last Saturday. I have been pain free for almost a week now, by far the longest remission I have had in 3 years! Has anyone had a similar experience good or bad with this? I certainly don't want to give anyone false hope including myself.

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Re: MSG
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 10:03am

MSG is a trigger for me I aviod it when ever I can,  small amounts dont trigger a hit for me most of the time by why risk it.  IMO stay away from it like its the plague.
  Glad to hear your having some pf time,   Phil Cool

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 10:12am

MSG is a trigger for me as well.  However, avoiding it, while in cycle, did not result in total pain free time for me.  I'm am glad that you are experiencing that effect though!  I hope it continues forever!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 10:38am

It's a trigger and also makes me swell up.  I avoid it.

Beth

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 11:19am

MSG is one of the worst nerve poisons, and it's pushers should be persecuted like other drug dealers.

But there's a huge lobby behind MSG who plays down the devastating effects of their poison, with forged 'research' papers.

Not only can MSG trigger a cluster attack, but it is the main reason for all the obese people around.

Read about the facts of the poison MSG, and how it's promoters fool the public and the health authorities, at:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 5:17am

A lot of people here stay away from MSG. I got hit ONCE after eating at a Chinese place, but never again and I eat Chinese a lot.

Same with beer - some do and some don't... Beer used to be a BIG trigger for me (stayed away from it totally for about 12-13 years) and then one night drank one and "NOTHING". Don't overdo it, but occasionally I do drink one. Never had a twinge since.

My point -- triggers are tricky.. here today - tomorrow anybody's guess????

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 6:15am

When I'm in cycle MSG is a huge trigger.  No Chinese for me  Roll Eyes

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 2:50pm

Hi Rick,

Absolutely...MSG is a trigger for me. When episodic I could eat it without worry in between cycles (same as alcohol). Now chronic and MSG will trigger a cycle or extend one...I have to avoid in ALL forms...which is the key.

It's a hidden sad truth of the food industry that MSG is contained in MANY processed foods. Research it on the web, autolyzed vegetable protein, fermented foods (think soy sauce), natural flavorings, cheese...and on and on..all contain msg. Read your food labels very carefully. The higher on the list the higher the content.

Also research glutamic acid, a natural occurring component of many foods. For myself, tomatoes are a killer (which is beyond painful for me, I can give up beer but Italian food, oh my). The body treats it like msg, and there are lots of foods (like tomatoes) with lots...

AND, aspartame (artificial sweetener) has all the same effects for me...

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Lenny
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles,CA
Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:31pm

Quote:
It's a trigger and also makes me swell up.  I avoid it.

Beth

I get hit weather i have msg or not (so i dont know if it's a trigger for me).....When i was younger i would swell up at the site of a good looking female,now that i am older (and not wiser ) it take's a good meal for me to swell Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin PFDAN to all

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead

IP Logged

KJ
CH.com Alumnus

Indianapolis, IN
Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 9:08pm

Yep, msg is the Bomb for me! I learned how to find it, avoid it, and it helped a ton. It's funny to see folks say they avoid Chinese food, and therefore they don't eat MSG. Lookout, it's everywhere.

Jon mentioned glutamic acid....it was a sad day when I went mushroom hunting, found a bunch of morels, cooked 'em up and got whacked. Apparently they are high in glutamic acid. Dammit!

Anyway, sounds like you are on to something....good luck!

Quit smoking March 6th, 2008

IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 1:00am

if i eat chinese with MSG it gives me a violent HA, some of the worst pain ive ever felt, past a kip 10. so when i order it has to be no MSG.

life is great clean. thanks NA and rehab. clean date August 4, 2010
chris_kels 420chris420 cohen.chris@ymail.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!