Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
non-rebreather mask how to use (Read 2761 times)
jberzins
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

non-rebreather mask how to use
Nov 24th, 2008 at 2:20pm

well i got my doc to bump up my oxygen and give me a non rebreather mask. not sure if im using it right.it has a bag at the end at two small openings that let out air on either side of the nose. any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged

chbob
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|McLean|USA|usa|472|142|VA,Virginia
Re: non-rebreather mask how to use
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 3:38pm

The O2 flows into the bag and when the bag is full it overflows into the mask.  When you breathe in you get what's already in the bag plus any that flows in while you are breathing.  The holes on the mask should be covered on the outside with rubber to prevent outside air from entering.  If not covered then put tape over them.  If there is an elastic band on the mask, cut it off and just hold the mask to your face.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 7:06pm

This is my portable non-rebreather mask, my traveling buddy so to speak. I do not know if our masks in Canada are any different than other countries, but this one works pretty good for the $8:00 it costs me.

1st pic is of the mask in full.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

2nd pic is the left side valve (when mask is on your face). I keep my thumb over this one but you can tape it off to stop the outside air.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

3rd and final pic is the right side valve. This one lets you exhale without removing the mask from your face as this will let in the outside air, which we do not want.

100% o2 with at least a 15lpm regulator and a non-rebreather mask. Get on it at the very first sign of an on-coming hit. I can stop mine within minutes!

Hope this helps. Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 6:34pm

All of the above is true. Please also see the "Oxygen Terms Explained" at the top of this screen when you click on to "Medications, treatments, Therapies."

It is important to get 100% pure oxygen with each breath. Any leakage of outside air will cause a longer time to abort your CH attack.

I also suggest looking at the "oxygen info" at the left of this screen and buying one of the O2PTImasks with the 3 liter bag for even greater abort capability.   Good Luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!