Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new to the board, five years with the beast (Read 1798 times)
brian
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

new to the board, five years with the beast
Nov 26th, 2008 at 5:39am

And up late tonight/early this morning just thinking about him.

Hey, I'm Brian, and I am also generally weakened just by the thought that he's in my life for good.  Mine are chronic, in that they certainly at this point do not appear to be episodic.  But my 1-2 a day don't usually reach a 10 or a 9, usually more like a 7-8.

I am somewhat of an optimist.  I see so much beauty in the world, but humans seem to have somehow swallowed their humanity and created a remarkably cynical and unsympathetic society.  We have the potential for so much better.  I want to be part of us recreating a better world for ourselves.

These headaches sometimes make optimism a hot commodity in Briantopia.  I am here in defense of my optimism.  It is validating and reassuring to be in the presence of other suffering souls.  I am also admittedly and shamefully pleased by the news that some have it worse than me.

You seem to have created a wonderful community, and I am relieved to have found you.  The last time I was an active blog member was during an important transition in my life when I was looking for a new community to be part of, a model of the kind of world I want to live in.  It didn't quite work out that way the first time.  So here I am again  Smiley  Wink

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Re: new to the board, five years with the beast
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 5:48am

Dude, you need some oxygen! read the info on the left, and get it hooked up!

I'm too tired to elaborate so I'll check on you tomorrow..

Rolo.. Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2008 at 5:49am by N/A »  

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 10:02am

Brian,

Welcome to the board.   Give us a run down on your regiment.  Abortives, preventives etc.  There is a lot of solid information here, as well as, a bunch of folks who have run the gamut and survived. The information they have has helped me educate my neuro and get on a program that keeps my hits down.  Best of luck.

Regards,

Malcom

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 10:15am

I LOVE your attitude, in the battle with the beast, attitude is  EVERYTHING!!! What Rolo said, get thee some oxygen! If you're not already using it, go to the meds section, read Chucks post on oxygen usage. It has all the details and full color pictures of how to get it set up. I can baort an attack in 6-8 minutes. Many on the board post similar results. Definitely worthy of a try.

And then what MPMII said. Give us a rundown of what you're using for a preventative medication, and what you're using when an attack starts. There are many treatments available we might be able to steer you towards. And start reading like a mad man. We believe you obtain the best results by educating yourself, then forming a working partnership with your doc to manage your attacks.

You're not alone anymore, welcome home.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 10:59am

You've gotten great advice thus far.  Just so you know, there are supporters here, too.  I'm a supporter of 18 years and I hope you have someone in real life with which you can share the burden of the beast.  If not, we're here!

Glad to know you can see the beauty behind the beast.  Balance is important when fighting pain like this beast brings.  Beauty becomes more profound, I think, when balanced with pain.

Welcome!

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 12:40pm

Welcome Brian,

I too am so much more of an optimist and enjoy life so much more now that I can manage my CH to K8 or lower.

I am new to this forum too. It is a great place to give and receive support.
Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 2:07pm

Kick some beat ass!!! But it sounds like you need a weapons check. Get some 02 and you will see your outlook, and life gets alot better. Good luck... Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

echo
CH.com Alumnus

Chronic and still alive
--- I Win!

Overland Park, KS
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 2:11pm

Welcome to the group Brian.  Glad you found us, sorry that you needed to.

Lots of infomation is available for you here.

"If you love something, let it go.  If it doesn't come back,  hunt it down and kill it". Proud father of a US Marine,  Marine turned COP, Navy Corpsman, and KS Army National Guard. Our  4 sons serve.

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 4:17pm

Welcome Brian,

What's you doc doin for ya? 

Read what you can here.  Lots for you and your doc to learn.

Gotta like you attitude.
                                Kick The Beast's Ass
                                         JPC

IP Logged

brian
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 4:02pm

Thanks all!  I have been reading as much as I can and I feel very empowered with all this information, and company. 

I have no preventives as of now.  I was originally, 2 years ago diagnosed correctly and prescribed verapimil, but was then rediagnosed incorrecly and given propanolol which was obviously as misguided as the diagnosis (that they were migraines).  Since that first bottle of verapimil, I have had no preventives.

I use several abortives with varying degrees of success.  Imitrex nasal spray is often very effective.  If I take it in a timely manner, I can abort a CH within 4 or 5 minutes.  But too early or too late and it's often less effective or not at all.  I also use indomethacin, which usually keeps the pain managable, occasionally aborts, but often doesn't work and seems to get less effective the more I use it.

I've had remarkable success with a couple of homeopathic/herbal remedies.  Winter Sun Trading Co. makes a product called Head-Ease, of clematis, feverfew, skullcap, and passion flower, which can be amazingly effective.  At its best it can abort a HA within 5 minutes, but like the indomethacin seems to become less effective the more I use it, and is generally only about 50%. 

I have also been give a Chinese herbal remedy by my acupuncturist which has been nearly 100% effective, aborting within 10 minutes.  I do not have the name because she labeled the plastic container with marker, which has wiped off, but I am going to get that info and report back.

So that's where I'm at.  Between those four remedies I manage to keep my pain to 8 or less and my attacks to under an hour 95% of the time.  But the attacks continue almost daily, as they have for the past 2 years.  So, as you pointed out Malcolm, my primary goal is to re-engage with my neuro and develop myself a plan to reduce the attacks.

Oh yeah, about oxygen...I have tried oxygen and had partial success.  I have only used one tank, and it did not alone abort a HA, but it did reduced the pain drastically (i.e. from 9 to 3) for as long as I kept the mask on.  I am definitely interested in trying this again and will be reordering tomorrow!

Thanks everyone for your advice and support! My blessings to you all!

Brian

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!