Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new to site (Read 3113 times)
laura
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Illinois
new to site
Dec 2nd, 2008 at 1:56pm

Hello!

I am new to this site, but not new to the pain.  I've been suffering from the "Beast" for about 15 to 16 years now.  It took me 12 to 13 years to find a doctor to diagnose me correctly.  My old GP diagnosed me with migraine as did a neuro.  I was prescribed pain meds, Imitrex, all the standard migraine meds.  Needless to say, they never worked and apparently my doctors never worked to find answers for me, or did not listen to all my symptoms, especially the symptom of waking up after falling asleep to the most horrible pain anyone could imagine.

I went to the ER about three years ago.  The "doctor" on staff told me he was going to refuse me treatment because I was there a week earlier, and he thought I was seeking pain pills.  I proceeded to scream at him, at the top of my lungs, that he was an incompetent doctor and asked him if I could take a hot poker and stick him in the head with it while he was sleeping and continue to do so for about 3 hours, non stop.  God put an Angel on staff as a nurse that night.  She realized I was not faking my pain and was able to get me some relief, in the form of dilaudid (sp. ?) and the name of a headache clinic in my area.

About a week later, I was diagnosed with cluster.  I was glad my pain had a name and possible treatment.  I've been on Verapimil for preventative treatment (works ok, attacks are not as painful) and other traditional abortives.  Oxygen works well, about 85-90% of the time.  Methergine and steriod will "hold" the cycle for a few days, but when they wear off it's like all those headaches the meds put off came back at once!!!

I've done research on these bad boys and just started a Magnesium supplement 2x a day, 5-HTP supplement 1x a day, and lots of water.  I've been in cycle for 5 weeks and will try anything at this point!!!

I am so glad I've found such a great place in this site and people who understand what the pain and despair.

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Re: new to site
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 2:18pm

Your story is oh so familiar. Many here have been thru that very same scenario. All I can tell you is welcome home. We understand. Hopefully your cycle will be over soon.

Tell us about your 02 setup and let us know how your magnesium supplement works.

Also where you from?

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 2:51pm

Welcome Laura!  I'm a supporter, not a clusterhead, but I hang around here to offer the other side of the coin, as it were.

There will be someone along shortly who will help you with anything you need.  I hope you have a supporter of your own to help you along your journey with the beast.  Please send him or her to ch.com.  We support supporters, too!

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:07pm

Welcome. You are now among family.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:14pm

Welcome home! I've been on a magnesium supplement for many years and am convinced it's reduced the severity of my attacks. Many others on the board have posted similar results. (Add a calcium supplement, especially as a female, magnesium leeches calcium outta your system)

I get the same result from prednisone. Provides a 100% block of CH, but when I go off, it comes right back and makes up for its lost time with a vengeance! Now I just use the pred for a 10 day burst while I'm waiting for my preventative, lithium, to kick in. Hoping you slip into some pain free time soon.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

laura
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Illinois
Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:15pm

Thanks for the friendly welcomes! 

I use an M6 Oxygen cylinder, up to 12 L's per minute for 10-15 minutes.  I just had two tanks delivered and hope I don't have to use them!!!

I live just outside Chicago.  The weather here is very unpredictable, which means the ch's can also be unpredictable.  I guess I've been lucky in that I used to get the beast 2-3 times a year for about 2-3 weeks.  Now I'm down to once a year (fall) and the duration is everyday, sometimes 2+ times a day, for 4-8 weeks.  Last year I only used verapimil and O2 and my headaches lasted four weeks - the shortest cycle I've had in years.  This year I kinda experimented with myself.  I contact my "headache doctor" and started verapimil.  The pain quickly increased as the first days of the cycle went by.  The doc called in methergine, I only had ch's when I woke up and the O2 took care of them quickly.  I ran out of O2 and couldn't get another tank for about 4 days.  Doc gave me steriod (can't remember name-starts with "d").  That helped alot, but when it was out of my system, the ch came back with avengence-rebound headache?.  I'm gonna stick with verapimil, O2 and supplements. 

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 4:50pm

Laura,

A bunch of us are getting together in January in St. Louis. Since you live near Chicago, maybe you might want to meet a bunch of clusterheads. Info is down at the bottom of the main forum page.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:34pm

welcome Laura;
just know you have family here now.
i have been in the same er situation.  point is all of us here can relate.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:34pm

Laura,

If you decide to go to the get-together like Jimi suggests, I guarantee you won't regret it.   The group that is going to be there are a wealth of knowledge and not just about setting you up for 02.  They can really help you not feel so alone and truly understand.

Be preparred for hugs as well as info as well as fun and laughing your head off.

Oh, and welcome.   Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 9:42pm

Cool Laura - there are several clusterheads in your area - one in Naperville, that I know of!  I'm NW of Milwaukee, so not too far.

Glad you got a warm welcome here.  These folks are the best!

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

TTS
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:31pm

Hello. I am also new to the site but have been dealing with CH for about 6 years.  At first, I thought this was a sinus thing because of the congestion that accompanied these attacks.  I had broken my nose a number of times and I thought that this was the root cause.  Several doctors and a couple sinus procedures and still they came.  The CT scan showed nothing (my wife laughs when I say that) MRI's, nothing.  No one had the slightest clue why I was having these ever increasingly, ridulously painful headaches on one side of my head.  The right eye would get all bloodshot and droopy and afterwards you would be just wiped out.   All these dr's kept saying that these are migraine headaches but I had none of the migraine characteristic symptoms (nausea, halo-ing, etc).  Tried Imitrex inhalers, didn't work at all for me, just that terrible taste in the mouth.  Started acupunture treatment when all else failed and I got sick of hearing these dr's that just didn't understand.  About a month in, month of May, I went into a remission that lasted up until two weeks ago.  Returned with a vengence (3-4 a day, 8-9's on a scale of ten)  My previous episodes usually lasted 30 mins to a couple of hours but in the last two days something really strange has happened.  I feel it coming on, resign myself to the fact that the next bit of time is going to suck BIG TIME and settle in for the ride.  The last two days, they start, last 15-20 mins and then totally disipate.  Only one per day and it's like I feel a little click right at the peak of fun and it starts going away.  Anyone else have input on this?  I was thinking that perhaps these started back up again due to the changing of the seasons, light/dark cycles etc.  I am hoping that I drop back into a remission period but that may be a little too much to ask.  I live in the central Maine area and would love to hear from others in the area that I could get their input in person.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 12:31am

TTS wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:31pm:
 About a month in, month of May, I went into a remission that lasted up until two weeks ago.  Returned with a vengence (3-4 a day, 8-9's on a scale of ten)  My previous episodes usually lasted 30 mins to a couple of hours but in the last two days something really strange has happened.  I feel it coming on, resign myself to the fact that the next bit of time is going to suck BIG TIME and settle in for the ride.  The last two days, they start, last 15-20 mins and then totally disipate.  Only one per day and it's like I feel a little click right at the peak of fun and it starts going away.  Anyone else have input on this?  I was thinking that perhaps these started back up again due to the changing of the seasons, light/dark cycles etc.  I am hoping that I drop back into a remission period but that may be a little too much to ask.  I live in the central Maine area and would love to hear from others in the area that I could get their input in person.

What you're describing sounds pretty typical for a seasonal episodic.  I'm one myself.  The May and November time periods are my "danger zones" as well.  

I could be wrong, but it sounds as if your fall cycle may have peaked, and is on its way out.  If so, that's obviously a good thing.   Wink  Mine follow the same sort of pattern--build up rapidly in intensity and frequency, and then subside.  

Episodic CH presents differently in different folks, but there is a distinct group of us who can almost peg the start and finish of a cycle by the calendar.  Whether it's due to seasonal changes in weather, or whether it's photoperiod (which I suspect) or something else, I couldn't say for sure.  Nevertheless, it's a very real phenomenon.

So no--what's happening to you is not so weird.

As for the "click" that you feel when the thing starts to drain away, that's something I've noticed as well.  When that happens, do you get one or more short, sharp "icepick" stabs before the thing fades?  Only reason I ask, is that that's what happens to me.

Welcome home.  Have a look around, explore the links at the left, and get to know the good folks here.  Always glad to make the acquaintance of a new cluster-brother.  

All the best,

George  
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2008 at 12:33am by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

RichardN
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1|Crossville|USA,Tn
Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 1:31am

Hi . . . glad you found us

. . . and Welcome to your new home.

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
lastchantsranch  
IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 1:51am

Laura, welcome to the board. You may want to get some RC seeds and advice lined up for next year and try them 2-3 weeks before you expect your cycle. It’s worth a try, they don’t work for me and I did have some interesting results but they lost effectiveness.

Many of the episodic have great success with this method. Plan ahead for next year.

OH, I only order M tanks! Grin

Best, Rolo.. Cool

IP Logged

laura
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Illinois
Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 11:35am

Thanks for the invite, Jimi!!  I plan on attending.

I go through Walgreens to get my tanks and was told the tanks I am receiving are the largest they carry(?)  I will definitely look into this.

I think my cycle is coming to an end. Gotta keep the faith!!  I was up from 9:33 p.m. until 3:56 a.m.  Not sure if it was the same ch that kept coming back or 5 different ones.  But let me ask you all this question.  Does anyone get extremely warm or hot as an attack is coming on and then freezing cold when it ends?  I looked this up and it seems the hypothalmus part of the brain controls body temp, aggression (which I have often with my ch), seritonin, and other chemicals/hormones in the body.  Researchers say that the hypothalmus part of clusterheads brains are abnormal.  This makes the testosterone idea seem valid to me.

As for the RC seeds, I will definitely try them, try anything.  I go my headache doctor every 6 months and my next appointment is in April.  I plan on keep a binder of the research, supplements I've taken, a headache diary, etc. to bring with me.  Hopefully, if I go in the office as educated on the subject as possible, doc will take me seriously and test my hormone levels in April and then again when the cycle hits. 

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 11:49am

Hi Laura!! Smiley   Looking forward to seeing you here in St. Louis!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 12:21pm

Quote:
I go through Walgreens to get my tanks and was told the tanks I am receiving are the largest they carry(?) 

WALGREENS?  No wonder you're only getting the teeny ones!   Since you already have a prescription for the 02 it shouldn't be a problem getting it switched to another place.

In your area phone book, under oxygen suppliers, look up Apria or Lincare.   Both these suppliers are nation-wide and should be able to set you up with E-tanks as well as transferring your script to them.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #17 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 12:28pm

I am so looking forard to meeting you in Saint Louis! You can't begin to understand how fast you'll feel like you've known these people all your life. Can't wait till January!!!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

TTS
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 2:41pm

George;
I hope you are right.  As far as the Ice Pick thing, I'll try and pay attention at the next one but as a rule, I get that sensation pretty much throughout the "event".   I have been working on this relaxation exercise when I have been attacked recently in which you really focus on relaxing the facial muscles as best you can and it really seems to diminish those big spikes that someone seems to be driving into my temple.  I know, easier said than done under those circumstances, but it really does seem to help even out the blinding stabs.  I had an event last night and as I lay in the dark working on this exercise, I did notice in my right eye, these little bursts of light which was kinda neat.  I don't remember being in the total darkness as I was last night  during one of these things.  Maybe this goes on all the time and I just haven't noticed before.

IP Logged

laura
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Illinois
Reply #19 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 4:16pm

Thanks for the info., Linda!! I've tried Lincare, however, for two days they kept "losing" my script and when I was in the middle of an attack I called and tried to get delivery.  A rep told me they didn't have paperwork and had no idea what I wanted from them!!!  I quickly told them I will go somewhere else and hung up.  Walgreens was the only place my insurance will accept that would deliver asap. Later that day a different rep from Lincare had called, but I told them I went somewhere else.

Anyway, headaches are still here and not going anywhere!!! 

As for the convention  - I can't wait to meet everyone!!!

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 7:13am

Laura, is it Walgreens Medical supply?  If it is, that's where I get my M60 tanks from.

Anyway, hope your cycle is ending!

Smileymel

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

laura
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Illinois
Reply #21 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 3:20pm

Yea, it's Walgreens medical supply.  The ladies who answer the phone there are sooo nice.  I just ordered two new tanks and hope I don't need to use them!!!  The fall and winter are, ironically, my favorite time(s) of the year.  I love Christmas so being in cycle right now is so depressing!!!

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 3:29pm

Alot of us get hit in the winter. If it helps laura, just think of it as a seasonal diet. I call it my CH diet. Welcome and you really should go to the big houdy in St. Louis, you'll be glad you did. Shocked
the bb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!