Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ugh. (Read 698 times)
Mikey K.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Ugh.
Dec 3rd, 2008 at 5:00pm

Hello everyone.  I just discovered this site through wikipedia of all places and I am so glad I have found it.  I have had ch for almost 8 years and I just turned 34.  I am finally going to see a neuro for the first time tomorrow morning and from what I have read on this site I really need to try oxygen.  The ch, this go around, have been the most intense I have ever had.  I remember them being about an hour but I have actually had one last 5 hours (ran out of meds the night prior.)  Needed your opinion on this.  During my last cycle, they put me on verapamil and ergotamine(caffeine tablets) and within a week they were gone.  I am 3 weeks into this cycle and they didn't work.  I went and saw a doctor that couldn't push me out of the door fast enought and gave me indocin? I asked him about the other prescriptions and he said, "yeah, just take all 3."  Well, when I don't have a headache, I feel like crap!  The indocin makes me extremely drowsy and nauseated if I don't have a 3 course meal with it.  The ergotamine says take it an hour before you think you might have one?  I take it at night and go figure, I have them at 4am.  I am done ranting, I am just relieved I have found Clusterville.  I was wondering around in sounds-like-you-have-migrainesville and don't-be-a-wimp-suck-it-upville.

Mike

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Re: Ugh.
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 5:06pm

Yes, oxygen is what you want to insist on trying. If you rent the equipment, make sure the regulator goes up to at least 15lpm and get a non-rebreather mask with it.  It would knock mine down in 10 minutes everytime. Don't take no for an answer.

PS....Welcome home.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Mikey K.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 5:22pm

Thanks Jimi.  Wasn't sure what to ask for specifically.  Hopefully I can find the right combination.

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 5:49pm

Hi Mike,
The following is not medical advice, just some insight from a veteran CH guy, on what he wish he had been advised before he walked thru the door to his neuro for the first time 30 years ago.

Do not leave the neuro office without getting the O2, stick with the Verapamil as a preventer for now (get the neuro to prescribe the right dose for you and see how it goes....sometimes it takes a while to be effective and for some people it does nothing), ergots may be effective for some but not a good first choice, and Indocin won't touch a cluster but will give you an ulcer. Imitrex would be a better abort to try for any times that O2 is not readily available.

Make your neuro take the time to listen to you and explain things to you...and you may have to explain things to him...ie Oxygen.
Good luck and I hope you have an understanding neuro.
Please report back after your visit.

my 2 cents

paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!