Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone here Hyperosmia? (Read 13132 times)
linuxgangster
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|carrollton|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Anyone here Hyperosmia?
Dec 5th, 2008 at 4:59pm

I only browse from time to time here. Anyway I was a chronic cluster sufferer for well over 5 years. Now it seems like the past 1 year I have been off and on (seasonal?). Anyway, Right now I have been without a headache for months so I am on no medications.

However, I recently noticed that since my clusterheadaches have slowed down and become seasonal I have a new weird symptom.  My sense of smell has become overwhelming, to the point where it has actually cause some problems and made other things better.

The good:
*I know eat a few different foods that I never really liked in the past.
*It helps me when I go deer hunting...seriously. I can actually smell a deer before I even see it

The bad:
*I have also lost the ability to eat certain food
*This is embarrassing but sex is sometimes unbearable because of the smell. Its both me and my wife. Its now got to the point where both of us (my wife) shower before and I still have issues.
*Certain perfumes are overwhelming to me and it nearly makes me sick. So I have a hard time being around anyone who uses something strong

So anyway I was wondering if anyone else here is highly sensitive to smell. I looked up Hyperosmia and apparently it is linked to Cluster headaches.

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Re: Anyone here Hyperosmia?
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 6:36pm

Not nearly to that extent, and not all the time.  It's weird - it comes and goes.  But sometimes Gary is REALLY sensitive to smells.  It hasn't affected his ability to eat (or anything else), but it does drive him nuts sometimes.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:03pm

Hello there:

I get extremely sensitive to odors when I am about to be hit with CH and throughout the attack.

An example:  Driving down the highway on a very hot day with MAX A/C on in the car with windows closed, I can smell grass being mowed a mile or more away.

Other odors that are triggers make me wonder if the odor is a trigger or rather I'm getting a CH first.  Between CH, I only have an average sense of smell.

Wishing you well,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 7:04pm

Interesting!!!

Food for thought

I think I have got more sensitive to smells as CH years have passed by.

Have always had a problem with certain smells in cycle and they can be triggers for me e.g. eggshell paint (not sure if that is a universal term but it has solvents in it)

but I recently found on holiday (out of cycle) that I had to leave several events and two buses because of a woman's perfume which was "jangling" my pain side so I feared an attack and was making me feel sick.

This was new but I went into cycle only a few weeks after returning so maybe was "brewing"

Food for thought as maybe it was an early clue/warning of a pending cycle ????

W

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:09pm

A little different here...I used to make my living with my nose (seafood evaluator). Probably ended up there because growing up my Dad couldn't smell and I was his nose. So...have always had a sensitive sniffer. CH didn't help (or hurt) my performance.

Certain odors are "triggers"... like zinc welding, strong perfumes, solvents...In high cycle, I get strange odors (that aren't there) when in, or about to get, a major hit...main one is ammonia. Neuro said she had never heard of this...

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 10:21pm

Interesting indeed.  Only in this current cycle I've noticed my heightened sense of smell, ONLY during an attack and shortly before/after.  I could kill my husband if he smoked around me during an attack.  It causes nausea on top of CH.

My house stinks.
My house stinks.
My house stinks.

Do I need to shampoo the carpet and wash the walls?  Dog odor?  Disgusted, I walk around the house sniffing after an attack, thinking how embarrassing it is to live in a stinky house.  My sense of smell is back to normal in a few minutes.  The house doesn't stink anymore!  So I light a cigarette.

IP Logged

mathieulives
CH.com Junior

San Francisco, CA
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 11:02am

Yes yes and yes. My sense of smell has heightened - pretty much everything you said. I can't handle sharp smells - perfume is the best example I can come up with now. I remember wishing it was banned from my work - it wasn't a popular movement needless to say. It sucked and I couldn't believe how much more I noticed it.

It doesn't even have to be a lot, I was reading a magazine and the little cologne sample hit my nose as I turned the pages and BAM, that was all it took.

There has to be some neutralizer out there that would help. Maybe we should keep coffee beans in our pocket Undecided

mathieulives  
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 11:32am

Yes. It's the most sensitive when I'm in a high cycle, but the general sensitivity has increased over time.

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 11:47pm

Ditto for me- in fact, I've been nauseous all day after going to Michael's Crafts store (all that %&#@! holiday cinnamon scented crap.)  I also have a more "tender" sense of hearing- like the high pitched whine of the television set hurts my ears, but my SO can't hear it at all.... Cheesy

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 6:42am

Interesting...I'm not sure I've ever thought of a link but yes, the sniffer does seem to be more sensitive. I'll be watching my next cycle and thinking on this some.

I almost strip down outside the house and feel like I need to burn my clothes if I go out to a bar where they smoke. Can't stand it. (And I bartended my way through college - so go figure)

Scott

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 8:25pm

I've noticed over the last few years that I'm becoming more sensitive to odors.  Like others have posted, during a CH cycle, just walking into our regional mall can set me right off.  I think they pipe in some really obnoxious smells into the whole building--nevermind having to walk through a perfume department where they're aiming for you.  Even when out of cycle, I have an aversion to many perfumes now....could be just psychological at this point though, and I wouldn't say that its extreme.

IP Logged

DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 10:37pm

Yes.

My sense of smell has heightened over the years. In cycle I am a freakin bloodhound. I've always been able to identify the line-up of spices in a dish, but now I can smell them in the cabinet. I swear, I thought I was getting super power or something Tongue

The perfume counter in a department store is like hell in an aspirator. That is an instant hit to be avoided at all costs. I went to the mall with someone that parked outside Dillard's. I was unfamiliar with that particular entrance until I was assaulted by that perfume ninja lurking behind the column. WHAM! CH hit in mere minutes. Never again. I swear I can smell each individual scent in that hades.

https://www.facebook.com/eric.mcgaha  
IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #12 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 1:07am

Here's a hell-trap to avoid: Michael's Arts and Crafts....they have all of their Christmas-piney-sugary-cinnamonney-scented candle-crapalooza out for the masses- within two minutes of walking in the door I thought I was going to throw up!!  Grin

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

MorDog
CH.com Junior

Not Again!

Wauseon, Ohio / USA
Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 6:49pm

My sense of smell has been more accute over the years as well.  Like linux I seem to be able to smell sex.  I'm not saying good or bad and it hasn't stopped me from having it but I seem to smell everything.  Grin  A place I can no longer stand to go into is Subway.  The smell of those resturants is like a slap in the face to me.  I can't even stand to be around people who have been in there as it is like someone who just came out of a smokey bar.  For some time I thought everyone had b.o. or bad breath too.  But now I kinda know my sniffer is in overdrive.  It just seems like alot of smells are in High-Definition now.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 7:28pm

jon019 wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:09pm:
A little different here...I used to make my living with my nose (seafood evaluator). Probably ended up there because growing up my Dad couldn't smell and I was his nose. So...have always had a sensitive sniffer. CH didn't help (or hurt) my performance.

Certain odors are "triggers"... like zinc welding, strong perfumes, solvents...In high cycle, I get strange odors (that aren't there) when in, or about to get, a major hit...main one is ammonia. Neuro said she had never heard of this...

Best,

Jon

I'm much like Jon; when approaching a high cycle & throughout I get a strong chemical smell that no one else can smell.
During low cycle my hooter's not worth a pinch of cocky smitt.

Cheers
Barry

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

laura
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Illinois
Reply #15 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 3:25pm

My sense of smell is stronger while in the middle of my CH cycle.  The worst is the smell of gasoline!!! That's one fume that gives me clusters for a few days all day. 

And, unfortunately, I sit about 10 feet from the men's room at work.  Needless to say, after the men's room is put to use, I feel like I'm gonna hurl.  I don't get CH's from the smell, but still!!!!! 

Laura

IP Logged

Sixpack
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Honey Brook, PA
Reply #16 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 6:25pm

Yes, indeed!  Sense of smell got extremely heightened before this current cycle.  My wife noticed it before I did.  I was telling her to not put perfume on and this one body spray that she likes was nauseating. 

Had gasoline smell trigger shadows at the gas station yesterday.  Also, told my kids, rather than ask, that they didn't brush their teeth this morning.   I usually ask them to make sure before they leave for school...this morning I didn't need to.   Smelled funky breath from across the room.   Shocked

IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #17 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 2:40am

Wow!  I didn't know what that word meant.  

I have had a heightened sense of smell since before ch.  I had heard that while pregnant, women will have a heightened sense of smell and figured mine never went back to "normal" after I had kids.  My family always teases me about this because I can smell something before it becomes obvious to everyone else.  Interesting.

Beth

ETA: I can't stand the smell of anything while getting hit!!
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2008 at 2:42am by midwestbeth »  

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #18 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 2:20pm

This is really interesting!   My husband says that I should work for the FBI... sniffing out drugs and bombs!  My sense of smell is very strong.

I had no idea that it could be related to CH!

Jeannie

Beth,  I also had that problem when I was pregnant.  Getting money out of the ATM used to make me throw up.  I couldn't stand the smell of new money!

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #19 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 5:01pm

I think most of us get a stronger sense of smell when in cycle, last night after work I could smell the difference in my own sweat after adding a new protein shake to my diet the day before.

The part that concerns me is that your headaches have changed and you're having the new nervous symptom. Sudden changes like that can be a signal that something is wrong. It could be something as small as CH morphing, a toxin/allergy to a new cleaning product, but it could also be a tumor. If I were you I'd go get an MRI or at the very least a physical/eye/reflex check just to make sure.

One thing with CH is that we tend to have incredible tolerances to pain, things that would put others in the hospital we don't even notice. So be careful.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

Norm
CH.com Newbie

Thank you CH.com!

Valencia, CA
Reply #20 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 12:14pm

Hi - 10 years late to this thread but it still was the top result on google. I've had CH for about 20 years, and this is the first year I've definitely noticed an extremely heightened sense of smell during my current cycle and they will trigger. Today I left work because I could smell the shaving cream of a coworker 4 cubes away and it was making me very nauseated. Lotions, creams, perfume, hairspray.. All so much stronger and what used to not bother me at all now makes me feel like I'm literally eating/drinking the stuff.

It's almost like the CH is just honing in on any little thing that I would normally find slightly annoying, and using that as an excuse to launch a full blown CH attack, which causes my sense of those things to be heightened out of self-defense??

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #21 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 3:24pm

Interesting about heightened sense of smell. I recall reading some CH'ers reporting smells to act as a trigger. Personally never noticed the heightened sense of smell. However, I have very often when in cycle experienced heightened sense of hearing.

"Different strokes for different folks."

-Gregg

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #22 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 4:04am

Interesting suggestion. Before I started with CH my sense of smell wasn't too great, but about the same time it started, my sense of smell improved significantly, especially for burnt toast (so much so I hate smelling it).

Hard to know if it is a coincidence or not.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!