Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
cluster headaches and finals (Read 12623 times)
ohioterpes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

cluster headaches and finals
Dec 9th, 2008 at 4:43pm

hey i am 18 and have had cluster headaches since i was in the 7th grade, i am now a freshman in college and i have just been hit with another attack. only problem is i have finals this week and reading is well you know. with me the only thing that relives my pain is opiates such as vicoden or stadol injections, fallowed by a injection of steroid and a round of oral steroids. however i am away from my nerologist and am unable to get these shots until after my exams are over and i manage to drive back home. i was woundering if anyone had tips on dealing with the pain with out being on an opiate for the pain but still be able to focus on an exam for 3-6 hours?

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Re: cluster headaches and finals
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 5:05pm

Oxygen at 15 lpm with a non-rebreather mask is #1 for me.

Has your doctor ever given you Imitrex injections to use?

It would be considered somewhat rare to apply opiates to this condition as opiates rarely offer much help to most sufferers. Are you using a neurologist that is familiar with cluster headaches?

Scott

IP Logged

ohioterpes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 5:59pm

yes he is, imitrix causes a allergic reaction, axert is what they also have me on, but it only works about 33% of the time. and my cluster headaches last for hours thus the opiates (the stadol injection knocks me out in 15 min and i get relief for about 12-16 hours), and currently i am in the third week of having this headache. the only problem with stadol is it is highly addictive because it is almost like morphine.......the reason my nerologest gives me the opiates is to kill the pain for the 3-4 days between injections of steroids, i mean it works for me but sitting through my history lecture on china while on pain killers makes it hard as hell to focus on my notes.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2008 at 6:04pm by ohioterpes »  

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 6:07pm

Welcome to the site!  Sorry you needed to find it.

If you haven't tried the 02 yet, you must ASAP.  It may provide the relief you're looking for.  Make sure you hit it as soon as you can tell one's coming.

Also, you tried caffeine?  Many find it's a pretty effective abort.  Most use Red Bull - the taurine also helps.

Also, if you haven't tried melatonin yet, that's something to ask your doc about.  It's OTC, helps the sleep cycle, and for many reduces (or eliminates) the night time attack(s).

There are many, many, many drugs out there to try.  I expect you're just time short here, but doesn't sound like you've explored the preventatives much with this neuro?

The problem with the narcotics is that they don't stop the hits from coming.  After your finals, you may want to spend some time on these boards getting familiar with all the med possibilities.

Hope you can get hooked up with some 02 quick - lots of suggestions on how to do it around here if you can't get a quick scrip, a med supply store to provide it and insurance to pay for it.

Good luck!

Laurie
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2008 at 6:08pm by Garys_Girl »  

This is enough already
IP Logged

ohioterpes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 6:16pm

thanks for the info, but as far as prevention medication i have been on atnonal toparal and currently am on topamax 50 mg, do u know if i should ask him about anything else to help prevent the attacks? (i know i spelled the first one wrong cant remeber how it is spelled)

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 7:41pm

There's a button on the left called "medical info" and "prophylaxis" discusses preventatives.  However, since this information was put up there have been some changes in standards of treatment and research on other meds.  

Most neuros start with a prednisone taper and combine that with verapamil, which is a calcium channel blocker.  But doses are VERY specific to individuals and have a huge range!  Some people do OK with 120mg of verapamil - some people go as high as 960mg or 1200mg.

If that doesn't work, sometimes the verapamil in combination with other drugs works:  lithium works for quite a few people.  

Topomax is an anti-eleptic.  There are a number of these.  A more current version of topomax is depakote, and some people find it works for them where topomax doesn't.  Gabapentin is an older version that works for some people where topomax or depakote didn't.

There are other calcium channel blockers, and quite a few triptans.

CH is as individual as the people that suffer from it, the beast often morphs just to keep everyone on their toes, and the medical community now has a long list of meds to try.

We believed Gary's former neuro knew a lot about CH.  He gave up long before he should have.  We only know that now because of this board and his visit to a Headache Center.  Had we not seen that list of meds that was 2 pages long, we never would have known that having tried 32 meds still left a lot of options!

So.... I still stick with my original suggestion.  After you've finished your finals and the beast lets you celebrate, spend some time here and on the net learning about all the options!  You are your best advocate with any neuro.  Smiley

Laurie
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2008 at 7:45pm by Garys_Girl »  

This is enough already
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 11:58pm

You are in a bad place with finals right now, HOWEVER, 30 year experience with CH here.

For now, when one is coming on, chug caffeine, lots of it ( strong coffee, energy drinks, red bull), and then exercise like mad, run around the block a couple of times, breathe very deeply right to the bottom of your stomache, keep your energy up and you may keep the intensity of the headache diminished.

Tough it out through the finals, many of us have been there...push your way through and stay in touch with us.

THEN,
If your Neurologist has not mentioned oxygen as a treatment for Cluster headaches, then he is not familiar with treating cluster headaches....period.    It is that simple....25 years ago it was standard practice and it is still the first line of defence today and there are still hundreds of doctors that do not know anything about cluster headaches!

Go to the library after your finals and get an old book called Help For Headaches A Guide To Understanding Their Causes And Finding The Best Methods Of Treatment by Joel R. Saper M.D F.A.C.P. copyrighted in 1983, published by Warner Books with an ISBN of 0-446-34260-2   An absolute must read even though it is dated, but the author is still one of the best Cluster doctors on the continent today.

At 18 years of age opiates and steroids will do nothing good for you in the long run when there are  so many other things to be tried first.
Please give some weight to the experience of the caring bunch of folks on here..you may really find the relief you desire without as many nasty long term side effects.
Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 1:21am

MITYRARE wrote on Dec 9th, 2008 at 11:58pm:
Tough it out through the finals, many of us have been there...push your way through and stay in touch with us.

Ewwwww, it brings me back baaaad memories as my CH was worst until the early 30's.  But Paul is right.......I did tough it out before Imitrex became available, with useless pain killers my Dr. prescribed in desperation to ease my pain.  If you can handle it, try and try to be tough it out and get through.

Please, find the time to get O2 and learn to work with it.  And PLEASE PLEASE know your limit; when you've had enough of the pain, you had enough.  Don't feel like you're a loser.  Sometimes we need to re-arrange our priorities.

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 1:53am

ohioterpes wrote on Dec 9th, 2008 at 5:59pm:
yes he is, imitrix causes a allergic reaction, axert is what they also have me on, but it only works about 33% of the time. and my cluster headaches last for hours thus the opiates (the stadol injection knocks me out in 15 min and i get relief for about 12-16 hours), and currently i am in the third week of having this headache. the only problem with stadol is it is highly addictive because it is almost like morphine.......the reason my nerologest gives me the opiates is to kill the pain for the 3-4 days between injections of steroids, i mean it works for me but sitting through my history lecture on china while on pain killers makes it hard as hell to focus on my notes.

I am so sorry you are in such pain at a difficult time for you anyway. You really do need a break don't you?

When you say your headache lasts for hours and that you are in the third week of having it, due you mean you have the headache pretty constantly for many hours/days without a break from it?

Wendy

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 6:30am

An alternative to Imitrex is Ergotomine (Cafergot). It's a vaso-constrictor (like trex) and doesn't have the side effects of trex. It works better for a lot of us without the side effects. It's an OLD drug, but worked BEFORE trex came along. Some of us still use it. (I can't handle trex).

O2 is still the first line of defense for most of us. Used correctly (check the meds page for the proper use) it will usually stop the headache in minutes for about 70% of us - most of the time without any meds.

I hate to be a naysayer, but it sounds like your doc is treating pain - not CH. Narcs are NOT the way to treat CH - just makes you goofey, but doesn't do much for the headache. You need to read up on the treatments on the med page and then be an advocate in your treatment. Topamax is good - I've been on it since 99 (take the whole dose at night before bedtime to avoid side effects), but 50 mg isn't enough to do any good if you're getting hit that bad.

Try some Red Bull at the FIRST sign of a headache - this will sometimes abort the thing before it gets going. Chug a can (don't sip it). And melatonin (12-15mg) before bedtime will help you miss the night hits (most of the time).

Let us know how you're doing.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

ohioterpes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 10:21am

I am so sorry you are in such pain at a difficult time for you anyway. You really do need a break don't you?

When you say your headache lasts for hours and that you are in the third week of having it, due you mean you have the headache pretty constantly for many hours/days without a break from it?

Wendy

i will get theses headaches for about 3 to four hours 2 to 3 times a day. and the reason for the opiates is maxalt immitrix and about every thing else used for treating the headache brings up side effects just as bad as the headache, they at first thought brain tumor but an MRI an CT scan ruled that out both came up negative. my nero has had me  on some experamental studies, his field is headache prevention and relief. my father knew him when they worked at johns hopkins.

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:21am

" his field is headache prevention and relief."

and he has not prescribed oxygen yet?  that is very odd.

Paul
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:23am by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

ohioterpes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 12:28pm

i have been on oxygen when i was hospitalized and had an attack and the oxygen did next to nothing, helped a little but nothing major.

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 2:51pm

Your Neuro should not be giving you opiates. I am assuming that he has diagnosed these as cluster headaches. Usually a headache lasts 30-60min., if you have nothing to combat them and you get hit sometimes 5-8 times a day. The 3-4 hours, 2-3 times a day seems strange.

It appears the Topomax is doing nothing and all the opiates is doing is knocking you out. I would taper off everything (under a doctors supervision) have him write you a script of 02 with a regulator of at least 10-15 lpm and a non rebreathable mask.

Keep a small tank outside the classroom in your car. When you feel one coming run outside and start breathing from it. Mine would back off in 5-10 minutes.

Thats my advise to you.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

idrisinwales
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cardiff, South Wales, UK
Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 3:47pm

I'm new to all this too. I really feel for this guy who has to struggle through such pain at a really important time.

I just wanted to mention how fantastic this site is for me. I really struggle with my GP when trying to get what I need after being mis-diagnosed for 8 years. I have to tell him what I have read on here and ask him to prescribe it, basically. Really poor level of care and interest.

I had a huge attack this morning and rang a local hospital to ask for o2 and they refused, and told me to ring an ambulance which would take me miles away to an A+E department. It's like living in the 1800's if you don't live in a city. Soooooo many people in the health professions still do not have a clue what CH is.  Roll Eyes

Anyway, good luck with your exams dude. I hope it works out for you, and I'm sure that all the advice will only help you find what you need to get through it.  Smiley

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #15 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 3:49pm

ohioterpes wrote on Dec 10th, 2008 at 12:28pm:
i have been on oxygen when i was hospitalized and had an attack and the oxygen did next to nothing, helped a little but nothing major.

Generally in the hospital, they are not administering the proper flow rate required for any results with Cluster headaches.

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #16 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 4:02pm

[color=#000000]Jimi wrote on Dec 10th, 2008 at 2:51pm:
Your Neuro should not be giving you opiates. I am assuming that he has diagnosed these as cluster headaches. Usually a headache lasts 30-60min., if you have nothing to combat them and you get hit sometimes 5-8 times a day. The 3-4 hours, 2-3 times a day seems strange

Does not seem strange to me at all.  Exactly describes my experience and was the reason why my diagnosis took so long for the neuros to figure out. These CH can come in slightly different variations. As I have mentioned, I have another neurological dimension to mine that make me resistant to most meds. Could possibly be the problem in this case as well. Sometimes the neuros resort to opiates when they feel defeated in order to provide some form of relief. there are way too many tools in the tool box yet to try before resorting to opiates and ending up in a rebound cycle in perpetuity and dependancy issues....Damn...  high flow O2 with non rebreather mask under supervision of a CH person that knows what they are doing needs to be absolutely ruled ineffective before going on to other meds.
[/color]

Paul
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2008 at 4:04pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Reply #17 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 5:45pm

I am afraid I am with Jimi on this one. CH does differ between individuals of course, but 3-4 hour attacks, several times a day, every day suggests other headache types more readily than CH.

Also, I understand GP's getting desperate and prescribing opiates and narcotics, they tried to with me before I "educated" them but they are almost never a good answer to a headache condition.

ohioterpes- I don't want to sound patronising and old, but you are very young to be taking such powerful and habit forming drugs every day and they themselves could even be creating some of the pain.

Would it be possible to go back to square one and describe your headaches, what the pain feels like to you and where exactly it is as descriptively as you can? what helps you when you have them, any other symptoms you get?

We can't diagnose here but we could steer you towards some other information if there is a chance of some other treatments working instead of opiates. I also don't want to be rude about your neuro but if they think opiates and normal flow rate 02 are the answer for you, I would seriously doubt how clued up they are.

Wendy

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #18 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 6:31pm

Not only are opiates like Stadol and Vicodin NOT a good idea due to addiction, but they don't help this kind of pain.  They DO....cause rebound headaches from hell though.

3 to 4 hour HA's are certainly not normal.

Please try the Melatonin before bedtime (can be found in the vitamin aisle of any market..and strong coffee and energy drinks until you can get to a Dr. who understands how to diagnos and treat you. 

If you do have CH....oxygen is the first thing I would ask him to prescribe as others have already told you. 

Good luck on those finals..

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #19 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 6:43pm

pubgirl wrote on Dec 10th, 2008 at 5:45pm:
I am afraid I am with Jimi on this one. CH does differ between individuals of course, but 3-4 hour attacks, several times a day, every day suggests other headache types more readily than CH.

Also, I understand GP's getting desperate and prescribing opiates and narcotics, they tried to with me before I "educated" them but they are almost never a good answer to a headache condition.

ohioterpes- I don't want to sound patronising and old, but you are very young to be taking such powerful and habit forming drugs every day and they themselves could even be creating some of the pain.

Would it be possible to go back to square one and describe your headaches, what the pain feels like to you and where exactly it is as descriptively as you can? what helps you when you have them, any other symptoms you get?

We can't diagnose here but we could steer you towards some other information if there is a chance of some other treatments working instead of opiates. I also don't want to be rude about your neuro but if they think opiates and normal flow rate 02 are the answer for you, I would seriously doubt how clued up they are.

Wendy

Wendy, I am of the same thought as you on this one. The CH diagnosis may not be iron clad considering the treatments administered ( i would get a second opinion from a neuro starting from scratch..no disrespect to the neuro here but in the interest of the young lads health) I hope his parents sift through these posts with him and consider some of the options for best long term care and health.

That being said....there are cases where these headaches do manifest for long durations....mine first lasted 3-4 hours all during my early twenties....the best neuro in the country were assembled and consulted on my case to run tests, diagnose and study me for years...eventually the headaches morphed into "classic" attacks of 45 min to 1 1/2 hour with "instant on" and almost "instant off" speed several times throughout the night time in my late twenties and early thirties, it was also during this time that the electric shock neurological shooting pains throughout my cranium known as "Tic" became a worse terror than the CH since it became more unpredictable ( at least i could predict the CH), In my 40s the length of my CH attacks again began to elongate into regulary over 2 hours and now occassionaly i get the dreaded "long attack" of my youth.
Non typical to be sure..Cluster....so says all the neuros and university med neuro students that have treated me and studied me over 30 years.
I'll just call them headaches

The young lad needs a second opinion and proper O2 instruction to evaluate its effectiveness (or not).

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #20 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:09pm

My daughter started her senior year of college like you. I am so sorry for your struggle. Even when she wasn't getting hit, she was tired from the interuptions in sleep patterns and worrying about when and where the next time would be. If you need to take any incompletes, it's not the end of the world. She spent Jan. over Christmas break making up work. Don't compromise the quality of your work if possible.

Occasionally she was put on a dhe drip both in and out patient. This usually bought her a a week of pain free time. 50 mg of topomax is low and may need to be SLOWLY increased if you are tolerating it. Depekote works well although side effects were hard on Lisa. She also always carried a can of redbull in her back pack. Her school was small and she could get to the campus infirmary quickly. They understood to turn up the o2 fast and had her mask ready.

Be sure to communicate with your school. You have been give alot of great advice. I spent at least 2 weeks at Jefferson Hospital, which is a leading headache center in Philadelphia. I saw way too many people trying to detox from opitates. The relief is temporary. Be careful!!

Good luck with school!!!

Charlotte
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:11pm by cash5542 »  
cash5542  
IP Logged

mathieulives
CH.com Junior

San Francisco, CA
Reply #21 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:15pm

i recommend you get a dr note to your prof and retake the finals at a later date b/f next semester. I can't imagine trying to focus on a final let alone having to read.

mathieulives  
IP Logged

ohioterpes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #22 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:22pm

well it is always located on the frontal right side of my head. if you where to take two polls and shove one in my right temple and one in my eye where the two intersect is where the pain is located.

the pain itself is as if a spike has been drilled into my head that is red hot and then wiggled around. i cant stand lying down when they happen i need to rock or if it is night go out and look at the stars to attempt to take my mind off of the pain.

and as far as the pain killers no matter the headaches i would be on them i was in a car crash about a year ago and have several back problems, i broke my lower back in this crash and have been on the pain killers........i would take the back pain over the headaches any day of the week.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #23 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:30pm

It could be that the pain killers are extending the duration of the attacks...

Would you be willing to forgo the pain killers and ask your doc for O2 as an abortive with the correct mask and flow rate?  Perhaps for the back pain you could take a stronger naproxem sodium (if they have such a thing) as it's less likely to cause rebounds. Undecided
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:31pm by Melissa »  

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

ohioterpes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #24 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:37pm

rebounds have happened but they will last only a day or two, on top of this my medication intake is regulated, and the stadol injections i have to go to the doc to get when the headaches reach a horrible peak.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!