Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
cluster headaches and finals (Read 12580 times)
Rolomatic
Ex Member

Re: cluster headaches and finals
Reply #25 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:40pm

I get my attacks in groups also. Usually 1-3-5-7 AM, 1-3 PM, and 5-7-9 PM… My clusters last 45-60 min W/O O2 and 10-20 min with O2.

I am wondering if you mean to say you have a group of clusters in 3 hours or a continuous HA for 3 hours?

If you have finals coming, a prednisone taper would get you through. It is really the only way I can get a two week vacation from my friend (CH).

Here’s hoping you can get a break for your finals,

Roland. Wink

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #26 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:43pm

ohioterpes, I understand about the doctor having to regulate your meds, but what I'm asking, is if you can discuss with him/her about getting off the pain killers??

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

ohioterpes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #27 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 9:46pm

i have them for 3 hours straight or longer

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #28 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 11:03pm

ohioterpes wrote on Dec 11th, 2008 at 9:46pm:

...then some will say they cannot be Cluster Headaches...and really a second opinion of a neuro is always a great idea when dealing with serious headaches.

...however...back in the early 1980s Cluster were defined as lasting from 15 minutes to 2 hours...and when I was diagnosed (2 1/2 -3 hours regularly and occassionaly longer) there were only 3 documented ( by a neurologist associated with a teaching/research hospital and university afiliation) Canadian patients having cluster headaches of a duration beyond 2 hours and I was told that there were some numbers inthe USA according to my Neuros colleagues there.  The theory was that in my case that i was probably experiencing multiple CH in succession without any perceptible downtime between. All other symptoms were/are spot on. Scans/electrodes etc proved there were crests and valleys of intensity that I could not percieve during the long beastly dances which still visit too often and stay longer than welcome.

Best of luck with the finals...get as much rest as you can, and let us know how you make out with your Doctor visits.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #29 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 11:29pm

ohioterpes wrote on Dec 11th, 2008 at 9:46pm:

You still have not answered my question...

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #30 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 11:48pm

" and the reason for the opiates is maxalt immitrix and about every thing else used for treating the headache brings up side effects just as bad as the headache,  "

At the top of this board is a subject that Svenn asked DJ to sticky or "LOCK"  because it was important enough to do so.   Please read this post by Svenn.

also?  yes please answer Melissas question.  I'd like to know too. 

Please understand something about this site...There are so many people willing to help you it will blow your mind.  PM someone...ask someone here who you feel comfortable with..to e-mail you.  Ask questions and do NOT be afraid if it may sound stupid to you.   No question you may have is one that hasn't been discussed here before...Honest.

This site exists to help.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #31 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:20am

Fellow college student here!  Welcome to your new family!  Cheesy

FIRST:  get up first thing in the morning and march your butt down to your school's Office of Disability Services (or whatever they call it)  and request IMMEDIATE HELP.  This is a disability, and as such you can get all kinds of special accomodations; all I needed was a diagnosis from my doctor. 

SECOND: get on the phone to your neuro and have him send you a letter to give to your professors explaining the severity of this disease and what to expect from you.  They need to have that on file in case someone complains about them giving you special treatment.  I really hope you have already done both of these!! 

My fiance is a professor, and they are human too  Grin  But without proper documentation from your doctor/disability office, it puts them in a difficult spot.  but if you've been a good student up until now   Wink then then I'm sure they will give you extra time- or at least take an incomplete!

I also have strange symptoms and 3 or 4 hour attacks- but this also triggers migraines from hell, so it's hard to tell what's going on because I'm constantly in pain.  Also, I agree with the others that you should try every other medication before using the hard stuff...BUT, that being said, O2 doesn't work for me either, but vicodin does (but I'm allergic, so can't take it.)  Amitryptaline helped, tho- have you tried that?

You can do it...push on through...I'm just now getting out of a 6 month long cycle, so I had it the whole semester.  If I can make it, you can too!  And we're all here to give you support!!  Kiss

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #32 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 2:20am

Oh, I forgot- does your school have a student health center?  If it does, then you should have your neuro get in contact with them and get one of their doctors to work with you (sounds like you moved away from home for college?)
AND get with your school counseling office and get a therapist.  You really need to have someone on their staff working with you, even if you don't think you need therapy, because going away to college is a tough enough transition without the beast tagging along, and you need someone in your corner on school staff who can coach you and be a liason between yourself and the school...I am seeing one who specializes in chronic pain, and he has been a godsend as far as helping me to deal with professors and advocating for me...they will know exactly how to handle this situation.  I hope I don't sound patronizing, but I know firsthand how agonizing your situation is and you don't have any time to fool around on this...good luck again!!  Smiley

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #33 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 2:31am

that might be  a good idea radar.

ohioterpes, if you are near central ohio i can help you get a big bottle of o2 without a script. you will a  regulator though.

damn. what a bad time to be in a cycle.

if you need help please don't hesitate to send me a pm Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #34 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 2:38am

this place is just south of down town columbus a stones throw from i 71

i have a van if you need help getting a bottle home.

IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #35 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 7:23am

What Under The Radar said is right on. This is exactly what Lisa did and she graduated on time. She only had one professor that wasn't very empathetic. Her campus dr made an appt. with a nuerologist and in the mean time put her on indometacin (SP) to rule out other conditions.  It's not easy, but it is possible! Like he said too, I don't want to sound patronizing either but with a good plan of action all is possible. She was even able to saty in orchestra and swim on her college team, not easy but it kept her going. Good luck. Use us!!

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

ohioterpes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #36 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 7:35pm

sorry i have not been able to respond to all the posts i have been studying when i can......as far as getting  off of the pain meds i doubt that will be possible, as of right now they are the only sure fire way to help me get through the day. when i get out of school i will deffently get the forums filled out at m schools office, but as far as these finals i have no choice but to take them grades due on the 19th and i am double majoring in history and social studies education 5-12 so i cant miss any classes to stay on track.....i have an appt with my doc at 4 on tuesday i start my last final at 12:45 so i am going to rush through it and try and speed home...my fastest time is 2 hours and 45 min but i will have to go faster to make it......i will talk to him about all treatments out there when i meet with him.....and thanks for all your help so far.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #37 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 8:14pm

ohioterpes wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 7:35pm:
sorry i have not been able to respond to all the posts i have been studying when i can......as far as getting  off of the pain meds i doubt that will be possible, as of right now they are the only sure fire way to help me get through the day. when i get out of school i will deffently get the forums filled out at m schools office, but as far as these finals i have no choice but to take them grades due on the 19th and i am double majoring in history and social studies education 5-12 so i cant miss any classes to stay on track.....i have an appt with my doc at 4 on tuesday i start my last final at 12:45 so i am going to rush through it and try and speed home...my fastest time is 2 hours and 45 min but i will have to go faster to make it......i will talk to him about all treatments out there when i meet with him.....and thanks for all your help so far.

Kinder gentler potter

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #38 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 11:48pm

I don't want to browbeat you, but I want to make sure you understood me- if you get a letter from your neuro and take it to your professors NOW, you might get some extra time to take the final, or at least they should give you an "I".  I know how it is to cram for finals, so even if one or two of them gave you a few extra days it could really help your stress level and make a world of difference! 
    And anyway, profs usually have a few days to get grades turned in after finals; I know my man has a little over a week after the last final to grade his tests, so he's even had students take finals or turn in work a week later (but only with really good reasons- like CH!!)

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #39 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 12:55pm

Quote:
as far as getting  off of the pain meds i doubt that will be possible, as of right now they are the only sure fire way to help me get through the day.

Roll Eyes Narcotics are sure-fire all right.  A sure-fire way to addiction and rebound headaches.  I'm not a Doctor but I have been chronic for 21 years now and I believe that gives me just a tad of experience in this.  I would bet anything I own...if you are truly experiencing 3 to 4 hour headaches..it is BECAUSE of the narcs. 

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

ohioterpes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #40 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 12:56pm

at my university my final is on the 16th and final grades are submitted on the 18th....the goal is to gut it out for 4 more days then be done for month and hope my cluster fades.

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 1:33pm

This question...

Quote:
I am wondering if you mean to say you have a group of clusters in 3 hours or a continuous HA for 3 hours?

Roland. Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2008 at 1:35pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #42 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 7:39pm

I feel so bad for you   Sad

But my SO professor had a good point that you may not know yet- professors have an official school deadline for turning in grades, BUT they usually give a "personal" deadline for papers, makeups, etc. so they don't get a barrage of stuff at the last minute; it's up to THEIR discretion when they will stop accepting work, but that can be very different from when the SCHOOL deadline for grades is.  Think about it- my man has over 700 essay exams to grade; there's NO WAY he could do it in two days!!  Cheesy

I asked him, would this be a situation where a prof would extend the deadline?  He said Hell Yeah!! 

PLEASE do yourself a favor and go to your profs with a letter from your doc and print out some info on Clusters and ask them for more time. 

And do you know what an "Incomplete" is all about?  It basically just suspends the final outcome of the course and gives you extra time (sometimes two years) to finish it.  What school do you go to?  I will look up their policy on all of this for you! 

Hang in there!  Wink

IP Logged

Felicia
CH.com Old Timer

You can never change me.

Daytona Beach, FL, USA
Reply #43 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 9:22am

Terribly sorry I'm late but better late than never right? Anyways, ohioterpes, I'm Felicia and I'm a supporter here on CH.com. My dad has had CH since I was 7 and now 10 years later I'm here to help all the Cluster "kids" the best way I can. Mostly I talk to the teens here and help them get to the right people on the site so that they can find the best solution for them. Also I'm here if you want to talk, bitch, cry, rant, etc. Linda told me about you're post and that's how I happened to find you. My point is, instead of being dead set on using narcotics may not be the best choice. I'm not here to tell you what to do because nobody likes a know it all. I'm just here to help. Some of the people here are good people that have been fighting this beast since before either of us were thought of. I realize you're under a lot of stress right now but try to listen to what some of us have to say. Linda is an amazing person and a family friend, Mel is an angel, cash5542 is a great person, and though I don't know Radar very well, what I've read from posts, he really knows what he's talking about. I'm not saying take everything they say to heart. But at least give them a chance. You might find there is a different way. That's all I can say. Hope you fight this beast the best way possible and welcome home my friend. There are people here who care. Don't ever forget that.

Broken

I won't let myself down even if it means I can't make you proud. Its my life I gotta do what I feel is right. No one can stop me now. This clusterhead child is gonna show the world how
Felicia They.Call.Me.Alice little_black_flame@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #44 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 9:47am

ohioterpes wrote on Dec 13th, 2008 at 12:56pm:
at my university my final is on the 16th and final grades are submitted on the 18th....the goal is to gut it out for 4 more days then be done for month and hope my cluster fades.

There is alot more the school can do for you. The grade timing is not set in stone.The consequences of an Incomplete are that if you are eligible you can't make the honor role because your GPA isn't finished. The report card comes as incomplete and it's corrected when done. Lisa also couldn't go on her swim training trip to Florida either because of incompletes. Lisa's senior year was pure hell, requiring hospitalization that left all of this nonnegotiable. She walked at graduation and received an empty diploma. Then she came home and finished her 90 page paper on the Holocaust. We also spent alot of time at Jefferson hospital straightening out meds and getting this under control.

I can relate to this more than you know. Lisa has a BA in History/Classics and iwill  finish her MAT in 7-12 History Ed in May. She is wrapping up this semester now but I'll be sure to have her write to you soon.

Good luck!! Remember what I said earlier, communication is the key in all of this. Professors can be so empathetic and patient when they understand and know what's going on.

Charlotte

I also wanted to add that maybe you can get through this semester but you still have 7 more. When a plan is set into place and a cycle starts you can kind of step back and take care of your head rather than try to scurry around keeping up, getting hit and not sleeping. Think aboutthe future of the other semesters coming up as well.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2008 at 10:37am by cash5542 »  
cash5542  
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #45 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 12:26pm

I get 3 hour attacks sometimes. Not often, thankfully, but they are clusters.

You've been given good advice here, hon. The pain meds are not the best treatment. Repeated use of steroids are not the best treatment, either. Both will have long term effects that will likely make things worse.

When you get through finals, PLEASE look for another doctor. Do your research here, we have a pretty good handle on what works.

Painfree and 4.0 wishes to you, nani

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #46 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 10:59pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Dec 13th, 2008 at 12:55pm:
Quote:
as far as getting  off of the pain meds i doubt that will be possible, as of right now they are the only sure fire way to help me get through the day.

Roll Eyes Narcotics are sure-fire all right.  A sure-fire way to addiction and rebound headaches.  I'm not a Doctor but I have been chronic for 21 years now and I believe that gives me just a tad of experience in this.  I would bet anything I own...if you are truly experiencing 3 to 4 hour headaches..it is BECAUSE of the narcs.  

I'm amazed at the amount of disrespect here. Don't you dare claim experience when you're only talking about CH.

This person said they would still be on the medication even if they didn't have CH due to a unrelated chronic pain problem.

I have LIVED with chronic pain. And it's so insulting when someone pulls the "pain meds are addictive always" crap. Do you know how much that hurts when you are only on them because otherwise, you would have a hard time moving?

Don't give me shit about Naproxen, that won't help you if what you need ISN'T an anti-inflammatory. If this person is on opiates? Naproxen OBVIOUSLY isn't going to fix them. Their doctor likely TRIED everything else before going to opiates.

There is a HUGE difference between addiction and dependance.

If this person was just choosing pain medication, rather than trying to find something else, sure, you'd have a point.

I'm not saying that pain medications are a good choice for CH. But I think it's fucking wrong for someone to be MOCKED, or told they'll become an addict over something that they cannot help!

I'm sorry for anyone who took offense to this, but, it really bothered me. We may have an incredibly painful condition, but the pain they're on meds for? Is just as bad in it's OWN way.

Mystina

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #47 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 11:27pm

Pixie-elf wrote on Dec 15th, 2008 at 10:59pm:
Linda_Howell wrote on Dec 13th, 2008 at 12:55pm:
Quote:
as far as getting  off of the pain meds i doubt that will be possible, as of right now they are the only sure fire way to help me get through the day.

Roll Eyes Narcotics are sure-fire all right.  A sure-fire way to addiction and rebound headaches.  I'm not a Doctor but I have been chronic for 21 years now and I believe that gives me just a tad of experience in this.  I would bet anything I own...if you are truly experiencing 3 to 4 hour headaches..it is BECAUSE of the narcs.  

I'm amazed at the amount of disrespect here. Don't you dare claim experience when you're only talking about CH.

This person said they would still be on the medication even if they didn't have CH due to a unrelated chronic pain problem.

I have LIVED with chronic pain. And it's so insulting when someone pulls the "pain meds are addictive always" crap. Do you know how much that hurts when you are only on them because otherwise, you would have a hard time moving?

Don't give me shit about Naproxen, that won't help you if what you need ISN'T an anti-inflammatory. If this person is on opiates? Naproxen OBVIOUSLY isn't going to fix them. Their doctor likely TRIED everything else before going to opiates.

There is a HUGE difference between addiction and dependance.

If this person was just choosing pain medication, rather than trying to find something else, sure, you'd have a point.

I'm not saying that pain medications are a good choice for CH. But I think it's fucking wrong for someone to be MOCKED, or told they'll become an addict over something that they cannot help!

I'm sorry for anyone who took offense to this, but, it really bothered me. We may have an incredibly painful condition, but the pain they're on meds for? Is just as bad in it's OWN way.

Mystina

Shhhhhhhh.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #48 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 12:54am

Remember everyone, we're not doctors, and there ARE cases of CH headaches that last longer than the average- I'm one of them. 

Average (noun):
  1. (arithmetic) The arithmetic mean.

Arithmetic mean (noun):
  1. The measure of central tendency of a set of values computed by dividing the sum of the values by their number; commonly called the mean or the average. The average of 10, 20 and 24 is (10 + 20 + 24)/3 = 18.

Peace, y'all!  -Paige

IP Logged

ohioterpes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #49 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 12:52pm

just FYI i finished my finals, and made my doc appt........increase in my prevenative medication by x3 and as far as the pain killers are concerned, if i am presented with two options the first being walk and do things i normally can do, as well as giving me relief from my CH. the second option is walk slow and hunched over with debilitating pain and a CH attack that is extreamly painful i think like most people i would take option number one.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!