Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Facial injections: trial of new abortive technique (Read 3497 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Facial injections: trial of new abortive technique
Jan 5th, 2009 at 2:07pm

Head Face Med. 2008 Dec 30;4(1):32. [Epub ahead of print]
Myofascial trigger points in cluster headache patients: a case series.

Calandre EP, Hidalgo J, Garcia-Leiva JM, Rico-Villademoros F, Delgado-Rodriguez A.

ABSTRACT: Active myofascial trigger points (MTrPs) have been found to contribute to chronic tension-type headache and migraine. The purpose of this case series was to examine if active trigger points (TrPs) provoking cluster-type referred pain could be found in cluster headache patients and, if so, TO EVALUATE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF ACTIVE TRPS ANAESTHETIC INJECTIONS BOTH IN THE ACUTE AND PREVENTIVE HEADACHE'S TREATMENT. Twelve patients, 4 experiencing episodic and 8 chronic cluster headache, were studied. TrPs were found in all of them. ABORTIVE INFILTRATIONS COULD BE DONE IN 2 EPISODIC AND 4 CHRONIC PATIENTS, AND PREEMPTIVE INFILTRATIONS COULD BE DONE IN 2 EPISODIC AND 5 CHRONIC PATIENTS, BOTH KIND OF INTERVENTIONS BEING SUCCESSFUL IN 5 (83.3%) AND IN 6 (85.7%) OF THE CASES RESPECTIVELY. When combined with prophylactic drug therapy, injections were associated with significant improvement in 7 of the 8 chronic cluster patients. Our data suggest that peripheral sensitization may play a role in cluster headache pathophysiology and that first neuron afferent blockade can be useful in cluster headache management.

PMID: 19116034 [PubMed]

------------------
The material used for the injections is not identified--but we'll keep an eye open for new developments.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Re: Facial injections: trial of new abortive technique
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 2:32pm

Now, are they saying one round of injections for the whole cycle?  Or injections for each attack?  ICKY ICKY ICKY.....(I HAAAAAATE needles... Embarrassed )

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 3:50pm

I wonder where the trigger points are located?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 4:00pm

UnderTheRadar wrote on Jan 5th, 2009 at 2:32pm:
Now, are they saying one round of injections for the whole cycle?  Or injections for each attack?  ICKY ICKY ICKY.....(I HAAAAAATE needles... Embarrassed )

Since "ABORTIVE INFILTRATIONS" are mentioned ...

Oliver

IP Logged

cluster
CH.com Old Timer

WaterX3 - It helps!

Cologne(Europe)
Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 7:09am

The complete article is available here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

pf wishes,
Friedrich

Cluster Headache News: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - German CH Site
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 8:58am

This fits in with the idea that anything that is injured or aggravated anywhere near the trigeminal can feed into the CH process.  Sinus inflammation is another big one IMO, and for some, TMJ.  Nerves talk to nearby nerves, and when one is stressed, the others get jumpy and more likely to fire.  I think deactivating trigger points is similar to a nerve block in many ways.

A good thing about trigger points is that they can also be deactivated by pressure or massage - lidocaine injections are good, but not the only way. The trick is to identify them and give them some attention.  Trigger points are defined as a point that is tender when pressed, and which typically refers pain to another spot - for example, a trigger point in one part of the upper neck may cause pain around the jaw and ear, while a nearby point will refer pain to the temple.

One of the better books for dealing with them is The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief. (currently about $15 on Amazon).  I have aborted occular migraines in minute or two by identifying and massaging trigger points (have been in CH remission since before learning about trigger points, so couldn't experiment on that).

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 6:39pm

Thank you, Bob.  It'll be interesting to see what evolves from this.

As an abortive technique in its present form, I wonder how much utility it would have--as a practical matter.  Obviously the injections must be placed in precisely the right location.

I read with interest monty's description of deactivating trigger points with massage or pressure.  Unfortunately (for me), no amount of pressure or forceful massage has ever resulted in any release.  I've pulped and pounded every conceivable spot on my head and scalp at various times. 

I probably should have hit on just the right spot accidentally.  But no such luck.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 9:40am

George wrote on Jan 19th, 2009 at 6:39pm:
Unfortunately (for me), no amount of pressure or forceful massage has ever resulted in any release.  I've pulped and pounded every conceivable spot on my head and scalp at various times.   I probably should have hit on just the right spot accidentally.   

Not necessarily - when using massage to deactivate trigger points, specific techniques are needed ... merely rubbing the area as one would do in a casual massage will not do much for trigger points. Likewise, aggressively manipulating a muscle in a manly way (pulping and pounding)  without concern for trigger points will probably make the trigger point problems worse. Althoug I used the term massage, maybe 'physiotherapy' would have been better.  

The trigger points could be in places on the neck, shoulders, or face in places where most people would never think to associate with the pain. For TMJ and tinnitus (and some types of headaches), one muscle that commonly adds to the pain is located inside the mouth at the back of the jaw!  I tend to get them in the soft sides of the neck - a place I never massaged much, from fear of messing with the carotid artery.  Someone who is clueless can do damage to the sides and front of the neck; someone who understands the anatomy and treats specfic muscles can do a lot of good.

Injecting lidocaine into the trigger points is usually very quick acting if the right spot is hit - it can be thought of similar to a nerve block, althought the target is obviously not directly the nerve, but a lesion in the muscle that is pulling on a nerve.  Many myofascial therapists prefer this method (if allowed to by law - oftn, massage/physical therapists are not trained or allowed to inject anthing, and most MDs that can do injections have no understanding of trigger points or myofascial activation).  Another effective technique is 'freeze and release' - using a very cold spray followed by manipulation. Massage is usually not so quick, although it is obviously more appropriate for the DIY person.  In the Trigger Point Therapy Manual, Davies talks about particular types of massage that are applied briefly 5 times or more a day (only a few seconds for each round).

When my shoulder locked up, the obvious pain was in the deltoid of the upper arm.  I found spots around the collar bone and base of the neck that fit all the characteristics of trigger points.  I started to see results around the second day of 6 specific treatments per day, and got normal function by about a week.  

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2009 at 9:46am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 9:07am

Wow, that's really interesting...does the book go into detail on specific types of migraines and other headaches?

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 1:08pm

That books takes more of an anatomical approach - it has a chapter on head and neck, and shows different areas of pain, and where the typical trigger points are that can refer pain to those areas. It does mention migraine.  

Here's an abstract on a study on trigger points and migraine:

Quote:
Eur J Neurol. 2006 Mar;13(3):244-9.
   Trigger point evaluation in migraine patients: an indication of peripheral sensitization linked to migraine predisposition?
   Calandre EP, Hidalgo J, García-Leiva JM, Rico-Villademoros F.

Instituto de Neurociencias, Universidad de Granada, Granada, Spain. epita@ugr.es

Although migraine is a neurovascular disorder, both scalp tenderness and referred pain have been observed in migraine patients. The present study was carried out to investigate the presence of trigger points eliciting referred pain in 98 migraine patients and in 32 healthy subjects. Trigger points were found in 92 (93.9%) migraineurs and in nine (29%) controls (P < 0.0001). The number of individual migraine trigger points varied from zero to 14 (modal number: 4), and was found to be related to both the frequency of migraine attacks (P < 0.0001), and the duration of the disease (P = 0.017). About 74% of the total detected trigger points were found in temporal and/or suboccipital areas; other locations were mainly found in patients showing more than four trigger points. Trigger point palpation provoked a migraine attack in 30 (30.6%) patients. Pericraneal allodynia was found in 15 (15.3%) patients. These data indicate that nociceptive peripheral sensitization is a usual finding in migraine, and that central sensitization can develop in patients with frequent attacks and long-lasting disease. Trigger points' detection in migraine patients could be useful when applying therapies like acupuncture, needling or botulinum toxin injections directed to reduce peripheral sensitization.

comments:

The fact that simply detecting/pressing on the trigger points can trigger a migraine attack is both good and bad ... myofascial theory says that this should happen - pressing on trigger points typically causes a flare in the symptoms because that 'knot' is sending pain or other types of nerve signals to the affected area.  But that once the point is deactivated, things get better.  This also reminds me of the recent post here that someone had a cluster triggered by massage.

The most common trigger points for migraine were temporal and suboccipital = temples and back of head/top of neck. The fact that some people with clusters and bad jaws have improved after TMJ treatment, or that some people with clusters and sinus issues (especially endonasal contact points) have improved after treating that are consistent with the idea that peripheral activation of the nerves around the trigeminal can make it more irritable and likely to be set off.

They mention trigger point therapy, acupuncture, needling and botox ... I would add 'nerve block' to that list.  All of these different approaches may have an underlying common mechanism, one of reducing angry nerve communication ('nociception') that sensitizes a nerve.  

Overall, I don't think that this approach will come close to 100%, but I think that for some people, it could be a safe, inexpensive approach that might lead to a big reduction of pain.  I am prone to getting trigger points, and for me, it has been really beneficial for a variety of non-cluster conditions (I've been in remission since learning about this).

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2009 at 1:13pm by monty »  

IP Logged

Tophurious
CH.com Newbie

Life's a bitch then you
die.

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 10:32pm

My girlfriend's father was telling me about his friend who suffered from either bad migranes or clusters (he wasn't sure) but she got bochelism injections around the temples, forehead, etc basically killing some of the nerves around the pain sites. He told me her pain dropped to easily manageable almost instantly after the injections.

This study may be similar.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2009 at 10:34pm by Tophurious »  
zool98 elementalforcex@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 6:12pm

For more information about trigger points and Myofascial pain syndrome have a look at the following wiki article and references:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I don't have any experience with this and don't necessarily endorse or condem this therapy.  I would like to learn more with a greater number of test subjects.

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

phil_h
CH.com Old Timer

one day at a time , one
headache at a time.....

x0|red bank|USA||0|0|NJ,New_Jersey
Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 6:20am

Bob , I began a 6 month course of trigger point injections on 12/9/08 . Right from the start it aborted a K8 on first visit . Since then I've had a couple of K6's and a few shadows . I get shots 3 days in a row -- 2 days off --then 3 days in a row . This is the protocol for the !st 3 months . The only K6's I had came due to me missing a day or 2 .  I will post the MD's full protocol . He has been doing this type of tx. since 1995 . I'm just the 1st clusterhead he's tx'd . This is the first positive response I've had to any meds ............... Also my HBP went down due the the decrease in pain .. I will post his Tx. plan and meds used .    Phil h

Angels are among us ........beasts beware !!!!!!
phh252  
IP Logged

kiritz
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 11:21am

I would very much like to see your doctor's protocol for trigger point injections to pass it along to my doc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!