Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New from California (Read 1285 times)
misskatie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New from California
Jan 15th, 2009 at 9:54pm

I've had these shotgun headaches since 1974. I remember the very first one I got-I really thought someone had shot me in the head. I did go for FIFTEEN YEARS without a single one (yay me) but the past eight years have more than made up for my vacation. Undecided

I have a great job (I can take off in the middle of the day; they are very understanding), a great GP who is very helpful working with my insurance company and a great CH doctor in the San Francisco. All in all, lots of support. I regularly scare my husband and children when I'm in the midst of a full blown CH. Heck, I scare MYSELF.Smiley

Right now, I am working with my SF doctor (who recommended this site so I wouldn't feel so alone and crazy), trying to get the headaches under control from a high of February 2008 (28) to October 2008 (1).

I typically have Honer's syndrome, am restless (I can be up for three or four days before I actually get a CH. The suspense kills me) and then feel like I am having a baby out of my eye socket. I had a 13 pound baby, so I think I know what natural childbirth feels like.

On the flip side, since I'm not just my CH, I've worked at my job since 1974 and find it just as entertaining as the first day I started--probably even more so.
I love to knit and I have four great children and my original husband. I also have three dogs-Tank, a chi-Rott mix (yeah, I KNOW), Rocket, a Maltese and Full Metal Jacket, a Cocker Spaniel.

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Re: New from California
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:03am

Welcome!  Join the fun!  You are never alone on this board!  (well, unless you start telling us to use Head-On or smoke crack!!)  Grin Grin Grin

Yeah, why is it when you tell people that it's worse than childbirth, it doesn't seem to impress them?  Shocked  (I've likened it to giving birth outta my eyesocket, too!)

-Paige

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:20am

Yay another right coaster! We have a lot of really strange people on the board from the wrong coast who mostly just confuse and muddle tha waters! Wink

This is where we get all nosey and see if we can help! Do you have oxygen yet? What kind of meds do you use as preventative, abortive?

I've been battling the beasty for almost 30 years. My kids are grown and out in the big world now so it's just me and mommy who has stuck by me from almost day 1 of these things! Encourage your hubby to join the supporters board. Our spouses like to hang out there and complain about what total pains we can be when we're getting creamed!

Danged glad your doc was forward thinking enough to send you here. The board will be a little slow the next few days as a bunch of us are in Saint Louis for a big crazy meet and greet of Cluster Headache sufferers. I fly out tomorrow. (I know, leaving San Diego where it was 84 today....for freaking Saint Louis!) Pull up a seat and make yourself at home.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:59am

Hi, another left coaster here.  I'm in Redding.  I'm going to ask you some questions here because I'm not sure if we all understand what you're saying, so bear with me because we really want to help if we can.  I'm not a Dr. but I've been chronic for 22 yrs. now, so I have some experience in these damnable headaches.

Quote:
I did go for FIFTEEN YEARS without a single one (yay me) but the past eight years have more than made up for my vacation.

Are you saying you had a 15 yr. remission and then they came back?

Quote:
Right now, I am working with my SF doctor (who recommended this site so I wouldn't feel so alone and crazy),

That's great.  Would his name by any chance be Peter Goadsby?  If not, could you share the Dr.s name who reccommended you to this place.  Often times newcomers ask for a Dr. name for where they live and recently we've had a whole slew of them asking for one in the SF area.

Quote:
I can be up for three or four days before I actually get a CH.

Not understanding this at all.

Can you tell us what your Dr. is doing to get them under control.  Are you using oxygen or any thing else as  an abortive?  What preventatives does he have you on? 

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 7:07am

Welcome MissKatie,

You have found your second family.

Stick around and read, read, and read some more.

You'll be amazed what this site has done for many of us.

I wish you pain free days!!!!

Cheers,
Chad

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

misskatie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 8:54am

Quote:
Are you saying you had a 15 yr. remission and then they came back?

Yes. I didn't even keep aspirin in the house. Or bandaids.

My SF doctor is Abraham Nagy, who works out of UCSF and the Headache Clinic. You need to be referred by your primary doctor and it takes about six months to get an appointment but it is SO WORTH IT.

I can even recommend an inexpensive hotel just blocks away (Cathedral Hill). Ask for a quiet room, with parking included. It is less than $150/night. Several good places to eat within safe walking distance. Close to Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, Japantown. Across the street from a HUGE AMC theater. There are nicer places $$$$ but I've stayed at CH a dozen times and like it just fine.

Quote:
I can be up for three or four days before I actually get a CH.

Prior to a huge headache, I will not be able to sleep. I'll be up for several days flitting around and then I'll get a terrible head. Everyone can see it coming and nothing seems to avert it.

I'm taking 150 mg of Topamax morning and evening, along with 160 mg of Inderal in the morning, another 50 mg at lunch and another 40mg at night. I have spiking blood pressure with my headaches that is pretty scary and have been toted off from work in an ambulance more than once (I work at a super max prison and we have an ER right there for obvious reasons).

I am just now starting oxygen and some kind of V medication. I have Maxalt that helps and Imitrex shots that help sometimes, except they make me feel like my hair is on fire. Morphine has never helped. Not ever. It makes me feel like a caged animal.

What always DOES help is a massive shot of Demerol, phenigin, turidol and Benydrl, which is more to lower my blood pressure so I don't have a stroke than to stop my headache.  Long term, not the solution I'm looking for but short term, certainly one that works. 

One thing that helps manage this at my workplace is that my supervisor also has CH, as do two other women in my department. So I have a really good support network.

I'm glad I've found you guys...already, I feel less crazy. Grin

IP Logged

misskatie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 11:40pm

Here it is March and I've had headaches about every 13 days. Only had to resort to shots once. Usually the o2 will stop them.

I had two yesterday (I was in the middle of a 1000 miles in one day road trip) and I can feel one coming one right now.

I think I'll hop in the hot tub, swig a RedBull and then try the oxygen.
I'm almost maxed out on my Verapamil---it makes my heart race, just like a panic attack.  However, I refuse to go to the ER. I'd really rather die. Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!