Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2. Nocked up blose. (Read 3234 times)
Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
O2. Nocked up blose.
Jan 21st, 2009 at 12:27pm

I find that when I use O2 I get a stuffy blocked up nose which sometimes is like a constriction to the point where it is difficult to talk.

The more I use O2 the greater the blocked sensation.

I put up with it because it is an ok 'trade off' for the pain.

Does anyone else experience this and if so have you found a way of relieving it?

ET.

ET

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Re: O2. Nocked up blose.
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 10:50pm

Err, are you using it with a non rebreather mask?

You shouldn't be breathing ANY oxygen through your nose, just your mouth.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:59am

Thanks for your response.

Yes I do use a rebreather and do inhale through my mouth.

I will check this out with my Dr and come back with any info if it is relevant.

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 8:08am

I've heard some say any breath through the nose worstens symptoms.  I've heard others say it help.  Everyone is different.  Either way, you should breath in whatever way works for you.

The important thing is to get pure O2 (no room air) in at a high enough flow rate to abort the attack.  For me that's 25lpm.   In addition to the flow rate, the mask needs to make a good seal on your face.

I have facial hair which makes this hard.  So I use a mouth tube.  Consequently I don't breath through my nose at all. It doesn't matter because my nose gets blocked when the attack begins.

So I couldn't tell you if it gets worse with the O2.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 12:54pm

I was usually blocked up before I hit the oxygen.

some kind soul here turned me on to 4way nasal spray.  I would use that prior to hitting the O2.  Seemed to work pretty well.

PFD's
                                                      JPC

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 1:51pm

Thanks JPC.

What is 4 way spray?

ET.

ET

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:16pm

I don't know what you can get on the other side of the pond but 4way is a brand name for a nasal decongestant.

PFD's
                               JPC

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 5:00pm

Update on this. Was feeling lousy as a matter of course just coming of the peak of a cycle but the constant stuffed up feeling was there plus sore throats.

Went to my GP who prescribed 40mg of prednisolone in one dose daily for 5 days then go back and see him. He also wants me to stay on Verapamil permanently. I'm not keen and he was seeing me not in the throes of a hit but more like a washed up dirty old piece of wet rag on the bank of a scummy river.

He also prescribed some nasal spray. He said that he thought the sore throat (bad in the mornings -can't swallow) was due to O2.
Man who delivered it today said 'you are really getting through some quantity'. I told him that I hoped it would not be for much longer much more than he did.

I haven't used Prednisolone before. Any advice?

The O2 stuff has me a tad woried because I rely on it so much these days.

May be I just need a brain transplant. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR DONORS ON HERE THOUGH!

ET

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 5:29pm

Pixie-elf wrote on Jan 21st, 2009 at 10:50pm:

Curious what makes you say this?

Marc

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 5:40pm

The nostril on the side of my hit is usually blocked before I get to the O2. 

So, maybe it is a CH side not an O2 side effect?

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 5:45pm

Ellick, are you using a bubbler/humidifier with the 02?

If not, you should get one. It helps with throat and nose problems.  Wink

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 6:10pm

Err, are you using it with a non rebreather mask?

Baloney.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 7:10am

Quote:
Ellick, are you using a bubbler/humidifier with the 02?

If not, you should get one. It helps with throat and nose problems.  Wink

Thanks for this Jonny, I will try it.

This is my first time using a non-rebreather. I have used for seceral years now an ordinary mask (taped up) and used to inhale then remove (switch off O2) exhale then (swith on) and inhale again.
It worked but seemed to take a long time.
Had a blocked nose (not so bad) but not the sore throats. Must admit I used to breathe through mouth and nose together.
I've had the blocked up nose for several months (not as severe as this) and it's been a problem all my life in remission and during clusters. It's not constant but frequent. People often asking if I have a cold when I dont. I'm so used to it, I'm surprised when I am asked.

I also get the blocked tap running side of a cluster in a hit alongside the runny red eye (like a b movie horror)

I agree that with Framcire. I think this is related to Clusters and it seems that it happens in place of a hit. It's remarkable how it can suddenly go in the space of a few minutes.

Prednisilone had helped the stuffed up feeling (it's gon) and kept the all day shadow down too. Last night made a straigh 6 hours sleep. First time in a month. Today feel feel better than I have in 2 months.

Trouble is I know any medication has atrade off, I just don't know what this one is yet. Oh well its not that I am not used to it.
releif when it's there is a breathing space.

Thanks for the advices and thoughts.

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

Dyno
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tenby, Wales, UK
Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 8:14am

Quote:
Went to my GP who prescribed 40mg of prednisolone in one dose daily for 5 days then go back and see him

This is taken from OUCH(UK) website and the 1mg per kg refers to body weight.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
The tablets, called prednisolone (1mg per kg), are prescribed starting at a maximum dosage of 60mg once a day for five days, and from then on, a decreased dosage (by 10mg) every three days. Unfortunately, this necessary 'tapering' effect (reducing the dosage) means that in most sufferers the CH returns

You should not just STOP taking prednisolone it has to be tapered off.

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2009 at 10:25am by Dyno »  

OUCH(UK)
-
"THEY'RE CRUCIAL, THEY'RE UNIQUE AND THEY'RE EXPERT"

Quote;  Prof. Peter Goadsby 2007

OUCH(UK) HELPLINE  No  01646 651979

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 12:57pm

Thanks for the advice Dyno.

And thanks for the link, I will make certain that the GP knows about this.

Ellick

ET

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #15 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 3:14am

Four way nasal spray is Phenylephrine hydrochloride 1% is the ingredient.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register There's you a link to see what it looks like.

Marc wrote on Jan 23rd, 2009 at 5:29pm:

Curious what makes you say this?

Marc

Hm, I thought I had read that somewhere on here, but I guess I was wrong. (Expecially since we have to use the masks, and nasal cannulas usually don't work...)

My apologies. Breathe oxygen however it gives you relief.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 9:36am

No problem. I was was wondering what I was missing because you stated it so strongly.

Marc

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #17 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 12:53pm

Marc wrote on Jan 25th, 2009 at 9:36am:
No problem. I was was wondering what I was missing because you stated it so strongly.

Marc

Same from me. Echo that.

Ellick

ET

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #18 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 5:27am

When using mine, I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. I do that only to try and stay calm. The feeling of panic when it starts sometimes overwhelms me, so I do big breaths (count of 4 in and count of 4 out) to try and reduce the anxiety a bit. I also get very sore nose and throat. The only thing I would say is try having a cold energy drink or a coffee to drink just before and if you can manage it - during also. Ice water is another good one.

Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #19 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 9:22am

Hi Em,

I wrote to the guy who I bought the mask from. He did not think the sore throat or blocked up nose was due to O2 but he acknowledged that O2 does dry the throat out. I have periods of stuffed upness (ironic English here) when I am in remission but never the sore throat like that.  The guy thought the one was affecting the other and I guess the O2 didn't help. Prednisilone has fixed the blocked nose so I think it was cluster related.

He suggested that I have a glass of water handy when I use O2 and drink a little every 2 or 3 minutes. I've done that and have no sore throat but then I am not blocked now.

He was dubious about a humidifier because ifthe bag is not removed after each use mold can form on th einside and you could start inhaling a whole new problem. He knows people use them with no problem and might sell them in future with some clear warnings and advice of how to avoid the mold.

I have used the topical steroid sprays before but in this cluster they triggered it. In remission they don't but in the past a few weeks after using them the clusters would start. Maybe the blocked nose is an early warning sign. The HTP receptors are gathering round the sinuses in a pincer movement. In future when that happens I think I might start verapamil then or try other alternatives like herbal or buster.

ET

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!