Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Marijuana and Cluster Headaches (Read 56021 times)
Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Marijuana and Cluster Headaches
Reply #25 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 11:31am

Here's the thing I'm not getting...  Seems like we are mostly in agreement that marijuana in many many cases is very helpful for migraines.  If you are believing the vascular theory of migraine and clusters, how does this make sense?  All along the clusters and migraines have been lumped together as "vascular headaches" Are we now saying that cluster headaches go along with this theory, but not migraines?  Are cluster headaches vascular headaches, but not migraines?  Next time you have a doctor tell you about how vasodilators are bad for clusters ask if they are bad for migraines too...Then ask them why marijuana works for so many peoples migraines.

Linda_Howell wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 8:15pm:
Weed is a vasodilator.   Please listen to your doctor. 

Here's a paper by Goadsby...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"the same group using the same methods has shown that vasoactive intestinal polypeptide (VIP), another member (with PACAP) of the secretin/glucagon peptide superfamily, can induce an equal craniovascular vasodilation but does not trigger migraine at all (Rahmann et al., 2007). So it is not the dilation but receptor site activation that is important in migraine. Simply stated, the vasodilation is an epiphenomenon neither necessary nor sufficient for the symptoms."

I would be very surprised if the same thing was not found with clusters.  One of our Clusterbuster's is actually seeing Goadsby as a patient, maybe we can see if he has the time to shed a little light on the subject.

Truthfully though, I have to admit that I see no real point in arguing either side of the vasodilator argument when talking about marijuana.  Mostly because of the link I posted earlier that showed

A 19-year-old right-handed university student presented to the Montefiore Headache Center for evaluation and management of his cluster headaches. Over the past 2 years, he had a cyclical pattern of stereotyped attacks occurring predictably every 1 to 2 months, lasting approximately 2 weeks. During these 2-week cluster periods, he experienced 1 attack every other day. Each cluster period was typically followed by a remission phase lasting 1 to 2 months. However, over the past 3 months, the frequency gradually increased to 1 to 2 attacks daily.  The majority of attacks would abruptly awaken him from sleep at 12:30 am or 4:30 am with excruciating right temporal and peri-orbital pain. Each episode lasted 3 to 4 h untreated, with the pain reaching maximal intensity within 10 min and declining within 10 min at its conclusion.

He did not drink alcohol, but noted that marijuana use at the onset of his headaches consistently brought complete relief within 5 min of inhalation for each attack.

Does anyone out there really think that this is not cluster?  I'm completely open to people debating this, or to bring out any sort of problems with this study...But nobody does, we just ignore it and tell people that weed is bad for everyone with a cluster, even though we routinely have people popping up saying that it has helped them. 

That's why I say who cares about vasodilation, we can argue back and forth till we're blue in the teeth without getting anywhere.  What we can not argue with is that some people who have been diagnosed with clusters feel that they get relief from Cannabis, including the one person in this study.  The Headache Journal of Head and Face Pain thought it was worthy enough to publish it in their journal (Volume 49, Issue 6, pages 914–916, June 2009).  Why are we so quick to ignore it?

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #26 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 10:47am

There is no point in arguing; There is no way to prove anything on either end they don't get relief from it. I’m sorry it doesn’t help you=( I don't always get relief from it either. Just like oxygen doesn't work for everyone every time they use it. I hope that they find something that works for them and I hope that if they post about it people don’t try and dismiss them really being CH suffers because of it.

Only the strong survive!!!

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #27 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 8:59am

lydia nichole wrote on Jun 7th, 2012 at 10:47am:
There is no point in arguing

I disagree.  There is a MAJOR point to arguing this...We are routinely having respected people on this site completely ignoring peoples experiences (not to mention respected medical journals) because of their personal experiences or two sentences about how weed is bad by their doctor.  We routinely tell people "your doctor is wrong, don't listen to him" UNLESS it's about cannabis helping clusters.  We have people saying it's not the worst idea to try toxic drugs like lithium, to inject botox, or to have major major surgeries done, but REEFER?   No way, don't even try it?

Kinda reminds me of all the people who were saying the clusterbuster folks were crazy for thinking they could take a drug and have positive impacts on their clusters for months at a time.  Every thing in Western Medicine went against this idea, and if you told your doc or any cluster researcher about it they would tell you you are wrong and that drugs don't work on the brain that way. (and if we listened to them INSTEAD of our experiences we wouldn't have BOL-148 coming down the pipeline)

By being close minded to peoples experiences we are doing no one any favors. 

How about we try and listen to peoples experiences on this more and try not to tell people what to do so much? (not to mention trying to diagnose people that are not our patients...)

I would really love to hear anyone's opinion on the page from Headache Journal of Head and Face Pain.  Somebody please tell me why we are just ignoring this.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #28 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 11:01pm

I'm not trying to knock anyone if something works for them that doesn't for me. I've had CH for 24 yrs and at one time thought MJ was helpful. But found it was increasing my daytime hits and became a major trigger.

I feel it's my duty to tell others that. Just like the fact that Imitrex and Mushrooms didn't or don't work for me. What I'm seeing is MJ does help a small %..

I question the 19 yr old that claimed MJ stops his hits in 5 min. His frequency of attacks increased and this sent him looking for treatment.??

The only way we discover what CH treatments are best, require all of us to state what does or doesn't work for us. I personally hope everyone finds what's best for them.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #29 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 10:25am

Skyhawk5 wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 11:01pm:
I'm not trying to knock anyone if something works for them that doesn't for me. I've had CH for 24 yrs and at one time thought MJ was helpful. But found it was increasing my daytime hits and became a major trigger.

I feel it's my duty to tell others that. Just like the fact that Imitrex and Mushrooms didn't or don't work for me. What I'm seeing is MJ does help a small %..

I question the 19 yr old that claimed MJ stops his hits in 5 min. His frequency of attacks increased and this sent him looking for treatment.??

Don

Thanks Don, that's the kinda stuff that can really help, especially as a reminder that even if the Ganja helps you at first, you have to pay attention to what effect overall it has for you.  With myself, I have noticed a similar but not identical pattern.  Some days I will start getting hit and go for a strong coffee and a toke and that's all I will need for the day.  Other times I find it helps for a couple hours, but then I need to repeat the whole thing...But if I keep doing that all day I just end up getting hit hard towards the end of the day.  I don't know if this is a direct action of the weed or if the clusters are just determined to make an appearance that day.  Either way, now I've figured out that if I try it twice and it's still hitting me I've got to give up and try a different strategy.  (incidentally, this week it has been a godsend for me and has gotten me at least three days where I woke thinking I was going to need imitrex but didn't after taking a toke or two.)

As far as the 19 year old, it would be interesting to see a follow up ten years down the line to see how it's still working  for him.  I know in my earlier years Cannabis worked a lot more often for me, but that might just be because I was smoking less of it then.  As far as him having something that worked, but still feeling like he needed to get "treatment"--it doesn't surprise me.  It really sucks to have your medicine depend on the black market, not to mention that your insurance isn't going to pay for it.

-Ricardo

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #30 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 11:25am

Well I quit smoking MJ for 9 month at one time (when I was pregnant with my now 4 year old and still had clusters just as bad and gave it up for a year before that because I thought that was triggering them. But when ever my doctor asks me whet my triggers are I reply "everything" because I don’t know, I have quit ciggs, I cut out the caffeine, I did the migraine diet, I have done everything and I still get them all the time (well a little less frequent now, because of the topamax) everyone’s body handles everything differently so it would make sense that we could all have differnet triggers

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #31 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 9:53pm

Ricardo,

We have the Medical Marijuana Law here in Michigan. I have a CH friend here with a license, that says he couldn't survive CH without it. So I do understand. If MJ or anything else can prevent even one Kip, then go for it.

I play in a band and one of the other members imbibe at practice. He will go to another room when I'm in high cycle. When I'm not, it doesn't matter. I've told my Neuro about all of this and said, "I would eat kitty litter if it would help." He told my wife," I would give him Heroine if I thought it would help."

All that being said, I appreciate your candor, it takes some guts. That's what we need, to know all options.

Lydia, you have some guts too.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #32 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 11:27am

THANK YOU=) I believe we are all so strong. No one but us know what we truly go threw. No one truly can sympathize with us because they have never experienced what we experienced what we do. I would probably do anything if I knew it would for 100% sure keep the CH away. i am so sick of having my life controlled by the beast !

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #33 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 3:42pm

lydia nichole wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 11:27am:
No one truly can sympathize with us because they have never experienced what we experienced what we do.

The people who have the best idea of what we go through are our supporters who know us so well and get to see us during a CH in tears with the pain fighting to kill off the beast with oxygen or imitrex.

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #34 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:11am

Mike NZ wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 3:42pm:
lydia nichole wrote on Jun 12th, 2012 at 11:27am:
No one truly can sympathize with us because they have never experienced what we experienced what we do.

The people who have the best idea of what we go through are our supporters who know us so well and get to see us during a CH in tears with the pain fighting to kill off the beast with oxygen or imitrex.

Thank-you Mike.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Mahosian
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #35 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 1:05pm

I thought it was helping me a couple of years ago, but I now believe that it was just the end of my cycle anyhow.

But it may be a reasonable treatment for some people. Not a particularly effective one across the board, but something helpful for some people with certain brain chemistries.

Part of it may be this. According to the Wikipedia page on Melatonin:

Quote:
Many psychoactive drugs, such as cannabis and lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), increase melatonin synthesis.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #36 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 5:31am

Smiley
...Does wonders on the nausea and pain perception, even more so than my perpetual ondansetron script.  Neither triggers, prevents, nor aborts my CH.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #37 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:35am

AppleNutClusters wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 5:31am:
Smiley
Neither triggers, prevents, nor aborts my CH.

The more and more that people recount their experiences with marijuana, to me, it seems like more and more evidence that the idea of blood vessel dilators = bad for clusters is not accurate.  Even out of the people that say it triggers them, most seem to be saying that it happens later in the day--NOT right after they smoke.  Marijuana is a MAJOR blood vessel dilator, so if blood vessel dilators are a trigger, you would think it would happen immediately after smoking, not hours later.  Interesting...

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #38 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 3:21pm

It could just be the smoking bit, regardless of what's being burned.  If smoking MJ did trigger hits for me, I'd be baking some very special brownies to find out for sure.  That's the scientific way, isn't it?   Wink

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

jonathan67
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #39 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 2:17am

I did not bother reading all these, personally if I smoked more than a very small amount I can forget sleeping! Time for me a chill pill or I will be wanting to be by myself. Does not help at all, but its not a horrible trigger but no sleep for me if I smoke so not a every day thing for sure  Tongue

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #40 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 12:06pm

AppleNutClusters wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 3:21pm:
I'd be baking some very special brownies to find out for sure. 

You know what's funny?  Smoking doesn't trigger me, but eating it definitely does, every time.  (although I stopped trying a long time ago)

IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #41 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 10:08am

I have never had it trigger one eating or smoking it never makes it worse, sometimes it doesn't help so i just don't event try but it does help with the nausea and it helps me sleep. It really helps me a lot.

IP Logged

norway.c.h
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #42 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 9:19am

hello. My name is Jack and is 30 years old and from Norway. I started getting headaches daily in 1999 and after many investigations and testing of drugs I got diagnosed with cluster headaches in 2004. I started then with medication aimed at CH without any relief. I've tried oxygen, sumatriptran, imagran, aspirin, ibux and the rest of the traditional medicines against CH got some response from morphine but it was only fair as this turns out even a bear. but to get morphine in Norway I have a doctor who monitor me all the time under medication.
I considered whether there was any reason to continue to live with this pain. In 2005, I read on the internet that cannabis should work against migraines and that this was used in the past as a treatment. I went many rounds with myself before I dared to try, but after a while the temptation to find one product that works really great.
I tried to smoke first without CH pain but felt the pain I have in the back and shaking of my hands was gone. random I thought.
When CH pain came the day after I was ready with a pre rolled joint, it went max 10 min after I took the first breath as the pain gradually went over. This was awesome as I've always been bothered by a minimum of 40 min to 2 hours several times a day for almost 6 years.but I thought again that this must be random and decided to try again when the pain comes back. It was two days before I got back pain which was odd since I tend to have this daily. I smoked again and the pain gradually disappeared after 10 minutes I was completely normal again. after that day, I smoke regularly cannabis to keep CH pain was gone and it has worked I can now go a few weeks without getting CH pain. But in September 2012, I was arrested at home on suspicion of cannabis use. I get 18 days in jail, 3,000 kr ($ 410) fine and lose my drivers license 1 year.
I also lose my job when I was an auto mechanic and must have driver's license to do my job.
and not least, I have lost a medicine that actually works for me and my CH pain.
I am now back where I was in 2005 and it is frustrating.

but whatever cannabis has worked for me for 7 years and I can testify to that
and I've never driven a car after having smoked. do you have a driver's license in Norway we lose it because of the use of cannabis even if you are not driving.

IP Logged

Clusterman59
CH.com Veteran

Pain free is AWESOME!!

San Diego, California
Reply #43 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 10:55am

WOW!!
That's really harsh! To lose your drivers license because of cannabis use when you were not even driving is wrong in my opinion and feel sorry that your laws are so strict! The laws in the U.S are getting more lenient every year and in many states they have commissaries that give out medical marijuana with just a Dr's prescription  and as long as you carry that prescription or "Card" giving you permission to use cannabis then your safe and most police will not even question it. Maybe you could be the one to lobby your government for the same laws??? Best of luck in your treatment of your CH.....Johnny Smiley

Gaining knowledge and obtaining an education about cluster headaches is the key to success to shutting down the beast. The Vitamin D3 Anti inflammatory Regimen is one of the best treatments ever!
IP Logged

Clusterman59
CH.com Veteran

Pain free is AWESOME!!

San Diego, California
Reply #44 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 11:14am

Smoking Marijuana is not necessarily the best way to use it for treating headache pain. Marijuana is such a complex medication that when you smoke it it gives off a different chemical compound than if you use it in edibles. Smoking anything while having a CH is not recommended for anyone as it can give rebound headaches and actually cause you to have a CH but everyone's different. Edibles are a much safer way to go and still get the pain relieving qualities of marijuana.....Johnny Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2012 at 11:18am by Clusterman59 »  

Gaining knowledge and obtaining an education about cluster headaches is the key to success to shutting down the beast. The Vitamin D3 Anti inflammatory Regimen is one of the best treatments ever!
IP Logged

norway.c.h
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #45 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 12:20pm

If I had cannabis on prescription can not the police take away my license but in Norway it is not possible to get cannabis on prescription unless I get AIDS or cancer. I'm now working to try to get it on prescription from a doctor in the Netherlands when I can legally use cannabis in Norway and I will get back my driver's license. but the doctor in the Netherlands requires a recommendation by another doctor that cannabis helps prevent cluster headaches. my doctor in Norway is afraid he will lose his job if he is writing a recommendation for me.He says that it is not done any research on this and will not take the chance of losing his job to help me, even if it helps me and has done so for seven years. I wonder if there is anyone here on the forum who can sit with the knowledge of this or can tip me who I can contact to get some knowledge about this tema.USA are many years ahead in research on cannabis and have a different view to use than Norwegian doctors

IP Logged

Red Dog
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #46 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 3:57pm

Years ago when I was an alcoholic I would smoke weed when in cycle because I could face life head on. It wasn't a trigger of and by itself but if I had a shadow a hit would make it a full blown CH.

Cocaine on the other hand did help and enabled me to even have a cocktail. But after being a cokehead for 10 years I would not recommend trying it.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #47 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 10:14pm

I dated a doctor and was surprised to find that they still have pretty easy access to liquid cocaine, at least in the E.R. It's apparently still used primarily as a nasal anesthetic, comes in the usual brown glass vial, but is colored blue in order to curb abuse. Analogues like lidocaine, bupivacaine, and novocaine have largely replaced it as they are not addictive.

Which is to say, if cocaine helped the CH, have you tried using nasal lidocaine?

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

adamski
CH.com Junior

THANK YOU CH.com!

uk
Reply #48 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 4:49am

i used to smoke bud on the regular but when i was in cycle or got a shadow or headache i never touched the stuff because i found it made the intensity of the pain worst....i no longer smoke weed or cigs as im 3 months clean....but i think we all try and look for methods of copping ...e.g once i put a cold towel on my head when i suffered and i thought it worked but it must have been just a coincidence because then time i did it i ripped the towel off my head and nearly ripped my head off my shoulders haha

ADA
WWW adamski  
IP Logged

Tim in Texas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Kerrville Texas
Reply #49 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 5:36pm

I understand that this topic landed on this forum around the time that the wheel was invented (maybe not this particular thread), but I just wanted to tell about my experience with marijuana involving CH's and ask a question about another abortative. I quit smoking pot all together in college when I first started getting my headaches. I very strongly believed they pot was a much stronger trigger than alcohol (or atleast to me). My next question involves mushrooms. Is this a myth? I know that no neuro would prescribe "medicinal mushrooms" because of obvious liability reasons. I have evenwatched National Geographic episodes about how mushrooms provide relief to CH sufferers. However, during the episode I don't recall seeing any respectable Doctors or Head Ache Centers backing this concept up, or even any clinical studies. Just wanting to the pro/con arguements from people who know.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!