Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My CH husband in in denial!! Won't seek help... (Read 6209 times)
jellybelly
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

My CH husband in in denial!! Won't seek help...
Sep 7th, 2009 at 3:04pm

I'm new here because I'm frustrated!!! And upset...

LONG story-short, his headaches are moderate... compared to what I've read about here. 8 at their worst, last spring, when he was officially diagnosed by the nuerologist. Originally they had to rule out an aneurysm, so he's had all the tests, including an arteriogram (sp?). Anyway, he was on Verapamil, (240 mg. 2x/day) and HATED it. Weaned himself off after the CH cycle stopped. It made him unable to function at work. He's a cop and has to be on his game, obviously.

Anyway, he seems to be starting a cycle again and he's pissed. He won't even TALK about medication, says it makes him feel old and/or sick. He says he's sorry, but I have to just give him a break and know he doesn't want to talk about it. I ask him how he is and he gives me levels of "Fine" as a response. Last night though, he said he had to go lie down when the kids went to sleep. Of course he was too anxious to sleep and I came upstairs to find him lying there with his hand pressing into his eye socket (customary). He was upset I hadn't come upstairs to comfort him, when only 45 minutes before I had offered 3 times and been rebuffed.
Either I nag, or I ignore. Either way, I'm wrong and he suffers. He would NEVER call the doctor on his own, he's always counted on me to handle everything for him. When I say I've been researching he thinks I'm obsessing. He doesn't want to even HEAR about O2, trust me, I've tried.

He thinks if he ignores this it will go away. He says he doesn't want to upset me or the kids. THat's exactly what he's doing though!!! I see him withdraw and I'm trying to stop it!

What do I do if he won't even acknowledge it??!??! Cry

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Re: My CH husband in in denial!! Won't seek help...
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 3:21pm

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do except try to support him in the best way you know how.

Until he is tired enough of the pain and really wants to get his life back there isn't much you can do.  He has to want to take control and stop letting the CH control him.

Children get ill too are they old ? 

$hit happens whether you are young or old you just have to pull yourself up by your boot straps and get on with life.

If he lets it go too long he may have no choice in the matter because it WILL start affecting his work.  Dollars to donuts his boss will say something to him eventually.

Suggest 02 to him as well, if he's ever around an EMT or fire station when he has a CH hit tell him to ask to use their 02 to abort the hit.

Best of luck to you and hang in there he'll come around eventually.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

jellybelly
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: My CH husband is in denial!! Won't seek help...
Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 4:23pm

One more thing I forgot... He was diagnosed with borderline sleep apnea a few years back. I'm wondering if an oxygen mask to help that would help his headaches?? Any thoughts?
Thanks

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 4:41pm

Sleep apnea is treated (usually) with CPAP, Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. It's just pressurized room air. Hardly anyone here with it has found a direct impact on their CH. However, when you sleep better, you're better prepared to deal with it during the day.

It sounds like he's got bigger problems than CH. God helps those who help themselves, and as long as he continues to deny that he has a problem, you're just going to piss him off trying to help. I'm not sure how you crack that nut.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 5:27pm

jellybelly wrote on Sep 7th, 2009 at 4:23pm:
One more thing I forgot... He was diagnosed with borderline sleep apnea a few years back. I'm wondering if an oxygen mask to help that would help his headaches?? Any thoughts?
Thanks

A high flow rate of at least 15LPM will kill a CH hit.  If he has O2 tell him to use it for the CH hit.  It WILL HELP, at least it does for most of us here.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
M.K. Gandhi

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 6:30pm

JustNotRight wrote on Sep 7th, 2009 at 5:27pm:
Thanks

A high flow rate of at least 15LPM will kill a CH hit.  If he has O2 tell him to use it for the CH hit.  It WILL HELP, at least it does for most of us here.

Oxygen is rarely prescribed for sleep apnea. Sometimes oxygen is added via the apnea mask (either a full face mask, a nasal mask, or nasal pillow system) for the most severe cases of apnea.

I'm not sure you two are talking about the same equipment or therapy. Or maybe I'm not.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 6:58pm

Jellybelly: Must husband is a CH sufferer and also a cop. Do you think your husband would be interested in speaking cop to cop?

Here's my husband's treatment regimen: At onset of cycle, going to neuro, gets Rx for about 2 week prednisone taper. That aborts the cycle. At the same time he starts lithium (believe me, he battled his doctor on that due to his own beliefs about other conditions that prescribe lithium). The lithium starts kicking in as he tapers off the pred. Seems to block most CH's. THe trick then is to taper off the lithium and see if a CH breaks through. He uses O2 when they do, once in awhile cafragot or Imitrex if that's all he has with him. He keeps the O2 with him.

We were like you - he wasn't dealing with it and I had to be the one to escalate it and call the doctor. I also was the one that found this ste. If we can help let me know. We're in So Cal - where are you?

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 8:44pm

Brew wrote on Sep 7th, 2009 at 6:30pm:
JustNotRight wrote on Sep 7th, 2009 at 5:27pm:
Thanks

Oxygen is rarely prescribed for sleep apnea. Sometimes oxygen is added via the apnea mask (either a full face mask, a nasal mask, or nasal pillow system) for the most severe cases of apnea.

I'm not sure you two are talking about the same equipment or therapy. Or maybe I'm not.

Huh  Got me Brew  Huh  I was speaking only of CH

M.K. Gandhi

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 9:03pm

Sorry - I'm not playing a game of gotcha. Just trying to maintain clarity.

Carry on.

IP Logged

jellybelly
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 9:11pm

Thanks for clarity, Brew... It's all so confusing. Was not aware of that about the s.apnea mask. Assumed it was O2! No wonder I couldn't really find discussion about it!

Made a little head-way with him tonight. Tried to be very supportive and told him we need to deal with it~ it will just get worse, not go away. I'm letting him just "sit" with his thoughts tonight and not bug him. His eye's been watering all day, but not much pain. We'll see what the night brings. I'm going to use all my willpower to not suggest Verapamil tonight.

We live in GA, BTW. He's not ready to talk to anyone yet, thanks for the offer! I'll keep you posted... Undecided

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 9:19pm

If he does accept the idea of a preventative such as verapamil or lithium, keep in mind that it takes 10-14 days to build up to a theraputic level in the human body. That's why often a neurologist will prescribe a 10-14 day "blast and taper" of prednisone. For many, prednisone will eliminate the symptoms. You just can't stay on it very long without risking some really nasty side effects.

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 9:32pm

Keep coming here while you're coaxing him out of doing this alone.  We'll support you supporting him . . . until the time we can also support him directly.  I can't tell you how many times I've come to this site, read about someone new finding us, and cried that they thought they were alone all this time.

There's no shame in this condition, only pain.  We all live with it in one manner or another - as supporters such as myself and Christy, or as sufferers.

I'm proud you found us and asked for help.  We'll do all we can for you, while you work on him to join our family.  Best of luck and chin up.  At least you know YOU are not alone now.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 10:04pm

Pat's (Mosiacwench) right. While your husband isn't ready to accept help, seems you are, and we're ready to help. We've both been at this over 25 years each, although we've only known each for the past year or so. If you want to talk, PM me your number and I"ll call you.
Christy

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 5:54am

Jellybelly-

Have you ever thought about going on with your life and ignoring him like he is asking you to do?  If he is in denial, then join him and ignore it like he does (It will be much easier for you than him!).  If he says something about it, tell him you know that when he is bad enough, he will seek help.  There is rarely a good outcome when we beg or do for someone what they can do for themselves.  I'm really a tender hearted person, but I have seen codependency at its best and no one is a winner in that situation.  Let it go...Try it...it is liberating.  Come to this site for your sanity.      

Hope you're not mad at me!

Joni   Smiley

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 8:50am

100% o2 with a least a 15 LPM regulator with a non-rebreather mask aborts my CH's within minutes. I take 480mg Verapamil daily which so far keeps the beast at bay.

I too was not willing to get help until I one day I just could not take it anymore. I was referred to a neuro (very young) and he is fairly new to CH treatments. After a CT scan showed all clear he gave me Lithium, not my med, Prednisone taper, that one worked right away but made me feel really crappy.

After much research on this board I asked my neuro for the higher dose of Verapamil (480mg daily) and o2. He did this for me with huge success. Now he has a couple of other CH patients using o2.

A gentleman on this board was my biggest inspiration on getting the o2. I said I would keep it as an option and he said to me :

"o2 is not an option, it is your first line of defense" and I will never forget that.

I hope your bh gets back to a doc and gets what he needs to help stop this crippling pain. If he wants to talk to me I am available. I would be more than willing to help if I can.

Barry Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

jellybelly
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:39am

Good morning and thanks to all for your advice. I hope you'll indulge me for a minute while a clarify a few things?

I've got to say first of all, that my husband is THE BEST guy~ to know him is to love him. I met him when I was 15, fell in love with him @ 17 and hung on for dear life. We were married at 24, had 2 kids when I was 31 & 35 and have been together 26 years. He is my best friend in the world and I can't imagine life without him.

I'm afraid I made him sound like a jerk yesterday, but it was because I was so completely BAFFLED by his behavior! I think being a cop for 20 years is finally taking a toll on his psyche... He's getting so black/white in his thinking... Not much middle ground.

That all being said, he came home yesterday and apologized for making me upset. I told him I could only begin to imagine the pain and depression that comes with this and that I wasn't going to push. I DID also then say that he's coming up on a very stressful work period and he probably couldn't afford to ignore the problem. History has shown that doesn't work. I reminded him of the Prednisone... (I'd forgotten about the it... it's worked in the past before the Verapamil. We'll go that route again first.) We agreed when he felt the pain coming on again he'd call me immediately so I could call the Dr. for the prescription.

And I'm done... ball's in his park. I didn't nag. Just showed compassion, let him know I cared, offered my assistance and backed off.

We had a very nice evening!  Wink

Fingers crossed we get a little more of a break.
Take care.

P.S. We asked the primary MD about O2 way back and were shot down~ I'll push the subject again when necessary, trust me!!

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 1:44pm

I know he's suffering Jelly, and I know that when they suffer they aren't always easy to be around. God do I know! That's the reason for supporter's corner! Glad you guys talked and that you're working together.

The success of O2 has been more widely accepted, perhaps you can take some of the info to the doctor next time. I swear, people get relief in MINUTES, not hours, by breathing (as Barry mentioned) at at least 15LPM with a non-rebreathable mask. Some go higher, such as 25 LPM. my  husband has a demand regulator (like a diver's) and does it that way. O2 lasts longer for him. No side affects that we've seen from O2 which makes it so much better than Imitrex and other abortive medications.

I wish you patience and your husband pain-free days ahead. Do PM me if you want to talk more.

Christy

IP Logged

jellybelly
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 2:49pm

Ooo~ He tried the nasal Imitrex and almost threw up immediately... right there at work in front of everybody in his squad. Add it to the list of meds that DON'T work for him!

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #18 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 5:24pm

JB,

I'm not at all sure what anyone can do when someone is in denial.  If his only concern about taking meds is bec ause it will make him appear weak or old or or or....Then I am at a loss.

When he isn't getting hit, I would sit him down (This is when YOU should be tough)  and outright ask him.  "when you are having a headache, what do you want me to do?"  So many of us want to be left entirely alone (normal) but our supporters always seem to stay out of our way but within earshot.

Ask him if he wants you to bring him cold packs &swap them out when they get warm.  If he is on 02...make sure they are always full and if he goes through a tank, be ready to switch tanks for him as it isn't something he can do when in the middle of a hit.

If he's like me and bangs his head or other self-destructive bahavior, put a pillow between his head and the wall/dresser/other hard surface so he doesn't knock himself out.  There are things you can do, but in his indivual case, you may need to be firm and ask him.    I am certain he is a wonderful person..CH sometimes makes us less than considerate though.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #19 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 6:14pm

jellybelly wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 2:49pm:
Ooo~ He tried the nasal Imitrex and almost threw up immediately... right there at work in front of everybody in his squad. Add it to the list of meds that DON'T work for him!

Actually my husband couldn't use the nasal imitrex either. He has issues with sinus related things. But he get it in the single shot cartridges now.  He only uses as a last resort, basically if he doesn't have O2 handy.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #20 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:01pm

jellybelly wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:39am:
Good morning and thanks to all for your advice. I hope you'll indulge me for a minute while a clarify a few things?

I've got to say first of all, that my husband is THE BEST guy~ to know him is to love him. I met him when I was 15, fell in love with him @ 17 and hung on for dear life. We were married at 24, had 2 kids when I was 31 & 35 and have been together 26 years. He is my best friend in the world and I can't imagine life without him.

I'm afraid I made him sound like a jerk yesterday, but it was because I was so completely BAFFLED by his behavior! I think being a cop for 20 years is finally taking a toll on his psyche... He's getting so black/white in his thinking... Not much middle ground.

That all being said, he came home yesterday and apologized for making me upset. I told him I could only begin to imagine the pain and depression that comes with this and that I wasn't going to push. I DID also then say that he's coming up on a very stressful work period and he probably couldn't afford to ignore the problem. History has shown that doesn't work. I reminded him of the Prednisone... (I'd forgotten about the it... it's worked in the past before the Verapamil. We'll go that route again first.) We agreed when he felt the pain coming on again he'd call me immediately so I could call the Dr. for the prescription.

And I'm done... ball's in his park. I didn't nag. Just showed compassion, let him know I cared, offered my assistance and backed off.

We had a very nice evening!  Wink

Fingers crossed we get a little more of a break.
Take care.

P.S. We asked the primary MD about O2 way back and were shot down~ I'll push the subject again when necessary, trust me!!

Have no fear you didn't make him sound like a jerk, you are right though he does seem to be going through a bit of denial.

You can go the tough love route or just put your foot down and say "I love you and our kids need you so, you are going to the Dr and that's that!"   Smiley

Either way you know your hubby best and want what's best for him and your family, my guess is if you tell him this he will listen even if he doesn't want to.  Hang in there it sounds like you really do love him and even if he doesn't think so at the time he needs you.

From his stand point I know what it's like, I was as stubborn as a mule and it took nearly 2 years of suffering before I put my stubbornness aside and sought help.

I hope he caves before 2 years time  Grin

Good Luck!

M.K. Gandhi

IP Logged

Kay
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Omaha, NE
Reply #21 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:40pm

Your husband sounds so much like mine!!!  Each time his cycle comes (about every 3-4 years) he's in complete denial for days!  I know it's coming (and he knows but won't admit it).  He'll suffer for days saying "I can think it away" HA!  Ya right!  Finally after days of neither of us getting any sleep (his are always at night and a few throughout the day), I finally put my foot down and make the doctor appointment for him.  I've always done all the research (mainly info from this site).  I think he's too scared to look at this site.  Although I know he knows it's not logical, he somehow thinks that if he ignores it or doesn't talk about it that it won't come.  It gets so frustrating!  I get angry and want to throw up my hands but then I feel guilty because I can only imagine the pain he's in and the fear I know he's feeling.  When a cycle starts, I can't image how I might feel knowing that I'm in for a painful, stressful 2-3 months.

My husband HATES taking meds of any kind.  Even if the meds don't give him any side effects he just simply hates putting anything into his body.  I'm convinced the cycle he's in right now has been drastically elongated because he has started and stopped his meds several times.  He gets one pain free day and thinks it's over and stops meds.  Several days later when it's ramped back up, he goes back on the meds.  No matter how many times I have told him, the doc has told him, the neighbor who's a pharmacist has told him, that starting and stopping meds on your own is bad, he still does it!

The one thing I urge you to do is get the O2.  It's been 100% effective to stop Tim's CH's and he's willing to take it because to him its not a med.  It's simply oxygen and not something harmful to his body and won't have any side effects (he really hates the way the prednisone and lithium make him feel).

Hang in there and use a little bit of tough love.  Even though Tim won't come and read from this site, I've spent countless hours reading through it all, summarizing it and passing on to him what I've found.  I also found it helpful to describe what meds and dosages others are taking.  He's taking 900 mg lithium (or was before he quit 2 days ago!) and it was comforting for him to see the links to the med info section or posts from others that 900 mg is completely within the realm of normal.  Although he's happy with and trusts the new headache doc we found this cycle, confirmation from this site seemed to help him.

IP Logged

Kay
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Omaha, NE
Reply #22 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:40pm

Your husband sounds so much like mine!!!  Each time his cycle comes (about every 3-4 years) he's in complete denial for days!  I know it's coming (and he knows but won't admit it).  He'll suffer for days saying "I can think it away" HA!  Ya right!  Finally after days of neither of us getting any sleep (his are always at night and a few throughout the day), I finally put my foot down and make the doctor appointment for him.  I've always done all the research (mainly info from this site).  I think he's too scared to look at this site.  Although I know he knows it's not logical, he somehow thinks that if he ignores it or doesn't talk about it that it won't come.  It gets so frustrating!  I get angry and want to throw up my hands but then I feel guilty because I can only imagine the pain he's in and the fear I know he's feeling.  When a cycle starts, I can't image how I might feel knowing that I'm in for a painful, stressful 2-3 months.

My husband HATES taking meds of any kind.  Even if the meds don't give him any side effects he just simply hates putting anything into his body.  I'm convinced the cycle he's in right now has been drastically elongated because he has started and stopped his meds several times.  He gets one pain free day and thinks it's over and stops meds.  Several days later when it's ramped back up, he goes back on the meds.  No matter how many times I have told him, the doc has told him, the neighbor who's a pharmacist has told him, that starting and stopping meds on your own is bad, he still does it!

The one thing I urge you to do is get the O2.  It's been 100% effective to stop Tim's CH's and he's willing to take it because to him its not a med.  It's simply oxygen and not something harmful to his body and won't have any side effects (he really hates the way the prednisone and lithium make him feel).

Hang in there and use a little bit of tough love.  Even though Tim won't come and read from this site, I've spent countless hours reading through it all, summarizing it and passing on to him what I've found.  I also found it helpful to describe what meds and dosages others are taking.  He's taking 900 mg lithium (or was before he quit 2 days ago!) and it was comforting for him to see the links to the med info section or posts from others that 900 mg is completely within the realm of normal.  Although he's happy with and trusts the new headache doc we found this cycle, confirmation from this site seemed to help him.

IP Logged

jellybelly
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 5:33pm

Roll Eyes

How typical!!! Those boys just crack me up...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!