Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can CHbe passed on to children? (Read 15412 times)
kaz93
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Can CHbe passed on to children?
Sep 8th, 2009 at 6:38am

Hi all, I am new here and not sure if I am even posting this in the right area.

My partner has suffered with CH since he was 19 years old, he is now 39. I have been with him for 4 and a half years and in that time thankfully he has only had a couple of mild bouts.

However, recently they have started to come back every night, always at the same time.

My question is this, we have an 11 month old baby boy and I was wondering what the chances are of him developing CH?

I didnt want to ask my partner as I dont want to worry him about it, as dealing with it himself is enough for him right now.

I am going to read all through this site now as already I am finding out new things. I want to support my partner as much as possible, which in his case, is mostly leaving him alone to get through it.

I will admit I am quite worried that our baby will develop CH's in the future.

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Thanks

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Re: Can CHbe passed on to children?
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 1:48pm

Hi there, I'm sure someone will come along behind me with some info, but yes, we do have multi-generational sufferers, although I believe it is a smaller incidence. It is heart-breaking for the parents who have children that suffer, I guess because they KNOW the pain.

LeLimey and her son Jasper are a mother/son team of sufferers, but I think there are others.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:13pm

My father has it, I have it and my son is already showing occasional signs of CH.

I'm not sure of the ratio or if there have been many studies on heredity and CH but QnHeartMM is right there are a few of us here who do have it in multi-generations of family members. 

It also may depend on if there are histories of migraines or other severe headaches on your side of the family as well.  I would ask family members on both sides about this, just for future reference.

On both sides of our family mine and my ex-husbands there was/is a history of CH or Migraines.

Keep an eye on your little one, my son developed Migraines at a very young age 2 to be exact actually younger he wasn't diagnosed until he hit 2 years of age.  Now he's almost 21 and has had a few incidents that would be considered Cluster headaches.  My heart aches for him, because I know what he may be in for.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

kaz93
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 3:10am

Thankyou so much for your replies.

I am quite worried about it and I really dont want to speak to my partner about it while hes fighting the demon every night at the moment, hes got enough to deal with.

I myself have never had migraines and nor have anyone on my side of the family as far as I know, certainly not up to my Grandparents at least.

I also believe that on my partners side he is the only one to have ever had CH and nobody else suffers from Migraines.

So I am guessing its just a case of wait and see.....

Thanks again  Smiley

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 6:04pm

You are quite welcome!

Don't let it worry you so, enjoy your little one and let him enjoy being a kid, so many of them grow up too fast these days.  Worrying is only going to give you a headache  Wink  no need for that, more than enough of those floating around.  It is good that you are aware of the condition so you know what you are looking for if your son ever starts sprouting symptoms.

Best wishes and prayers that the little one escapes the beast!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

echogirl
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 6:29pm

Unfortunately, both my daughter-11, and son-8 exhibit symptoms of CH's. I'm like 99% sure they both have it. I also have a brother who gets them. Whereas some might say that it isn't hereditary, I most definitely think it is. That doesn't mean he will get it, just that the possiblity is there. Only time will tell, and let's just hope for his sake things turn out in his favor. In the mean time, try not to worry about it too much as it won't change anything. Best of luck.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 7:45am

I believe the increased chance of passing it along to one's children is something like 1.4% greater than nothing at all. So yes, there is a bit of a hereditary link, but it is very small.

In other words, it happens, but not very often.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 8:12pm

This subject is something that I wouldn't spend a lot emotional energy worrying about. As Brew indicated, yes it can happen - but not often.

My brother and I both have them, as did my Grandfather. My brother's youngest son (in his 20's) has had one cycle and one rouge hit so far.

Still, the odds are very slim. Go bet on the lottery for better odds.

Marc

IP Logged

Kilroy 2.0
CH.com Sponsor

Kilroy 2. is Here! Kilroy
2. is Everywhere!

Madison,WI
Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:04pm

I have 2 sons, one has CH and the other does not (so far). Genetics is a strange thing you have to have just the right combination and the chances of that are slim.

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
http://www.facebook.com/Killroy2.0?ref=profile gmlevenhagen  
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 3:56pm

I have chronic ch.  I have identical twin boys both 24 now.  One has eposodic ch and the other one has no ha at all.  My third child gets migraines as do I also.  I heard what Brew posted before so I think he is right on with it is a very very small chance of having your child heredit ch.  I would not worry about it.  Just have comfort knowing we are hear to support you and the drs are finding out more and more info every day about this afliction.  Read up and gain knowlege so you can support your significant other and your child if need be.  Youll do great Im sure.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #10 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 4:13pm

Unfortunately my answer to you question is absolutely it can be passed on.  There have been 10 of us in my family affected in 5 generations.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 6:25pm

Joni wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 4:13pm:
Unfortunately my answer to you question is absolutely it can be passed on.  There have been 10 of us in my family affected in 5 generations. 

But Joni, your family is the exception rather than the rule. A very unfortunate exception, but it just doesn't happen that often statistically.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 7:27pm

So far, 7 of 10 people that have replied have multiple family occurrences.  Though that is certainly not  scientific, it is very interesting in such a short time and small number of people.  Time will tell.  I sure hope my children are not affected!

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 9:33pm

Joni wrote on Dec 13th, 2009 at 7:27pm:
So far, 7 of 10 people that have replied have multiple family occurrences.  Though that is certainly not  scientific, it is very interesting in such a short time and small number of people.  Time will tell.  I sure hope my children are not affected!

There are over 7,000 members of this website.

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 11:43pm

Brew wrote on Dec 13th, 2009 at 9:33pm:
Joni wrote on Dec 13th, 2009 at 7:27pm:

There are over 7,000 members of this website.

You are right, Brew.  That's why I said it was a small number, yet still 7 out of the first 10 that replied which surprised me.  I would love to hear from others, not that it would be scientific, either...but I'm curious.  It is interesting, isn't it?  Wish we could take a poll.

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #15 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 11:45pm

Brew wrote on Dec 13th, 2009 at 6:25pm:
Joni wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 4:13pm:

But Joni, your family is the exception rather than the rule. A very unfortunate exception, but it just doesn't happen that often statistically.

I know!  That's what the doctors tell us...wish someone would study us!

IP Logged

lhiannanshee
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 9:28pm

Joni:
Quote:
You are right, Brew.  That's why I said it was a small number, yet still 7 out of the first 10 that replied which surprised me.  I would love to hear from others, not that it would be scientific, either...but I'm curious.  It is interesting, isn't it?  Wish we could take a poll.

I'm the first and only in my family.  I imagine the people who reply will be weighted towards those that think 'yes' because 'no' people have really nothing to say except 'no'.

Your family are so unlucky Joni, Sad.  Really sucks.
I hope your little boy turns out to be non-clusterheady, Kaz!  Good luck and don't worry! Smiley

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #17 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 7:55pm

First of all - if you ask a question like you asked it - you are going to get more answers from those who do have a familial connection with CH. Those of us who do (like me) see the question and automatically want to give input. I don't want to scare anyone but it can happen. As to God's involvement, even though I have great faith, I'm copping to the idea that this kind of thing is outside of his day-to-day involvement. It just happens. My faith helps me get through. But I don't buy into divine retribution or any other concept along these lines.

So love your child. The tools available today for people to cope and live life more fully with CH are like night and day from what was widely known and available even 10 years ago. Who knows what another ten years will bring? Worry less - love more.

Scott

IP Logged

Dharma
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Richmond, VA
Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 11:28am

My grandmother had migraines, my father had clusters, I am the lucky one who hit the hereditary jackpot and gets BOTH!! Yay me! My brother gets neither, poor him missing out on all this FUN!!

Interestingly enough, my father, who suffered from clusters his entire adult life had to have his teeth pulled and get dentures back in the mid 90's due to gum disease (also apparently genetic- boy I hope I got that gene too), anyhoo, since he got the dentures he has not had a single attack. over 15 years PF. I don't know what the connection is but there ya go.

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #19 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 5:40pm

Joni - Brew's son (who is also MY son) does not have CH.  Doesn't mean he can't develop it, but as of 18, he's shown no sign.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #20 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 10:43pm

Mosaicwench wrote on Feb 1st, 2010 at 5:40pm:
Joni - Brew's son (who is also MY son) does not have CH.  Doesn't mean he can't develop it, but as of 18, he's shown no sign.

I sure hope he doesn't start them! 

I was 30 before I started them and until then, we all felt sure I had passed the age since most in my family started young.  I have 2 daughters, ages 23 and 26 that show no signs, but I know that it is just a game of Russian Roulette.  Of course, I tell them they probably won't get them, but I don't know that.  I also remind them that even if they do, things have come a long way in treatment and they will be fine.  One of my daughters is a pharmacist with interest and experience in neuropharmacology, so if I'm not around, she can take over.  As my mother always said to us, "The only thing I could have done was just not have children."  Haha.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #21 - Feb 16th, 2010 at 12:17am

I'm adopted and have no idea of my biological medical history.  My CH's began at 11 yrs old immediately following a tragic closed head injury.  I've suffered 30 yrs with episodic CH's.  I am now a proud father of my 9 yr old son and GOD FORBID he inherits this living nightmare!!!

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

TarHeel-blues
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

matthews nc
Reply #22 - Feb 16th, 2010 at 2:07pm

i have 3 beautiful kids oldest of which is 8..no signs yet,,my father was adopted and no history on my mothers side so i think im the first,,the point i wanna make is if you worry about it and let it comsume you then doesnt that mean the beast has won before he even showed up?life is to short,,whether my kids get it or not we are gonna keep on living life and loving one another,,the show must go on(says the guy with toxic lithium levels:)

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #23 - Feb 16th, 2010 at 4:50pm

Tar-heel, I like your positive attitude!

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #24 - Feb 16th, 2010 at 5:12pm

The only positive spin on your kids becoming CH'ers is this: They'll have an expert around to show 'em how it's done. Anything beyond that is needless worry.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!