Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can CHbe passed on to children? (Read 15480 times)
burnt-toast
CH.com Hall of Famer

economy|USA|PA
Re: Can CHbe passed on to children?
Reply #25 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 9:00pm

While heredity may be a factor, it also is no factor at all.  I’m the first and so far the only member of a very large family that has ever had CH. 

My children, now out of college, have thankfully not exhibited any signs of CH.

Heridity doesn't appear to guarantee the development of CH or render one imume from it.  As with so many things we experience with this disorder – while the core symptoms remain the same, effective treatments, cycles, triggers, etc., etc., seem to be all over the place.                  

Best Wishes
burnt-toast
(Tom)    

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.

IP Logged

Cassandra
CH.com Junior

The best thing in my life
is my son!

x0|Riesterstown|USA||0|0|MD,Maryland
Reply #26 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 1:49pm

My father had it (he killed himself) and i also have it.. .03% of the CH bunch have a parent who has it

WWW http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=searc Cassandra9988 susie152  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #27 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 2:35pm

Cassandra, I am so sorry about your Dad.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Cassandra
CH.com Junior

The best thing in my life
is my son!

x0|Riesterstown|USA||0|0|MD,Maryland
Reply #28 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 3:07pm

Joni wrote on Feb 28th, 2010 at 2:35pm:
Cassandra, I am so sorry about your Dad.

Me too.. he was a great guy.. i guess living with it was just too much for him.. i just pray that i can make it though it

WWW http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=searc Cassandra9988 susie152  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #29 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 4:03pm

You will!  I have made it 25 years and had a 31 career in teaching as well.  I hope you have a good doctor and treatment plan.  Read here all you can!!!

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Nearby
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 2:44pm

Hi to you all,
first of all, I would like to mention that i find it hard to know if i am writing to you all or just to one person.it is been a bit hard to understand how it work here,so if it goes to one person please pass it on to the other too.
I suffered from headaches since i was a child,my father had it as well without known that he had it.
I was mis-diagnosed then i was told the true, when i found out that the beast will be with me for life,I tried to commet suiside.did not have suceess.
I been unlucky most of my life, then I thought to myself I have to be a man and take the pain,I have to find the cause of this beast. Now I know the cause, Yes we pass it to children, and it is been passed on for more than 250 years.
Now I found it, and I hope that god helps me to get it out and help you all. So please hang on for me.I promise that you all will not think when it will start again.
I hope then you do not mind to have a laugh with me, as I am not a black and I am not white either.
most important ,I am not a sales man.
I do not even know who do I associate with.
All I know for now that
I am an X Chronic Cluster Headache who become free, without the Oxygen,Drugs,Herbs,injection,surgery,without pain at all.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2010 at 2:48pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #31 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 3:01pm

Quote:
Hi to you all,
first of all, I would like to mention that i find it hard to know if i am writing to you all or just to one person.it is been a bit hard to understand how it work here,so if it goes to one person please pass it on to the other too.
I suffered from headaches since i was a child,my father had it as well without known that he had it.
I was mis-diagnosed then i was told the true, when i found out that the beast will be with me for life,I tried to commet suiside.did not have suceess.
I been unlucky most of my life, then I thought to myself I have to be a man and take the pain,I have to find the cause of this beast. Now I know the cause, Yes we pass it to children, and it is been passed on for more than 250 years.
Now I found it, and I hope that god helps me to get it out and help you all. So please hang on for me.I promise that you all will not think when it will start again.
I hope then you do not mind to have a laugh with me, as I am not a black and I am not white either.
most important ,I am not a sales man.
I do not even know who do I associate with.
All I know for now that
I am an X Chronic Cluster Headache who become free, without the Oxygen,Drugs,Herbs,injection,surgery,without pain at all.

Blow it out your backside, Ali.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #32 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 3:10pm

LasVegas wrote on Mar 25th, 2010 at 3:09pm:
amazing this spammer is allowed to continue posting after the ongoing bullshit spam on the other thread

You'll note that the poster's profile is now locked.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Cece
CH.com Junior

Clusters are the devil!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #33 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:16pm

Hello. My husband has cluster headaches. His father still has them as well. But they are the only ones. Grandparents and great grandparents didnt have them.

I'm scared to have children, I don't want them to ever meet the beast!

cecilouusa  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #34 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:48pm

Cece it is so rare to get CH's, let alone to pass them on to children.  You are more likely to pass on other hereditary medical problems.  Don't let it deny you from the greatest joy of life, children.

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:55pm

Cece - I'm a ch'er and I have a child with CH.
Yes it's horrific. It's something I don't know that I'll ever really come to terms with BUT...
When I spoke to Jasper about it his answer was "Well I'm not having one now am I?" He has a great time, he is a bright sunny smiley lovely little boy who many here have met and can tell you - he's a normal little scrapper! He's eight. He's had CH 5 years. If he can take it on the chin I'll keep trying to because he is the brightest ray of sunshine in my sky.
With kids you never know what you'll get. CH isn't the worst that can happen and if someone has to have a child with CH - it's better it's someone who can advocate for them.
It's very, VERY rare though. I wouldn't let me put it off me having another child (but I'm too old for that malarkey anyhow!)
If you ever want to talk let me know. I'll happily talk with you about it
Helen

IP Logged

Cece
CH.com Junior

Clusters are the devil!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #36 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 9:57pm

Hey LasVegas! You are right, it is rare. But I'm still scared. I'm also scared because my husband is not stable, which my goodness is totally normal when he deals with the devil each day like all of you amazing fighters!
I'm just scared and worried we are not going to be good parents because the headaches will be the main focus at times. I'm not sure how to explain. I guess we are just not ready and finding excuses. Seems like a lot of sufferers here have children and are doing just fine.
I'm sorry...it's always been a big concern!

cecilouusa  
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 10:02pm

Cece if it wasn't a concern you wouldn't be fit to be a parent anyhow! Parenting is scary as all in at the best of times - you're right to think things through. Just don't let it be too big a focus.

Our convention is in Atlanta GA this year. Maybe you could come along, meet some of us and learn - I guarantee you the most fun and life changing experience ever!!

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #38 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 10:38pm

My parental background/family history.....I love being a parent, I am a single parent with sole custody 24/7/365. 

My 9 yr old is happy, healthy and considered a normal little boy.  He is the greatest joy my life has ever experienced. 

My parents and grandparents reported no abnormalities with headaches, brain disorders, etc. 

Mine began at age 11, coincidentally within weeks of a tragic closed head injury.  I am now 41 and have been in remission for over 4 years. 

My conclusion is this is a very rare disease and even more rare to pass it on to children.  If you are both ready for children and can make the commitment, I would recommend not denying your lives of parenting due to the very slim chance of inherited CH's....."To each his own"

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Cece
CH.com Junior

Clusters are the devil!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #39 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 6:10pm

You are all very right, I know.
I guess sometimes when he gets the worse "devils" possible, he of course screams very loud or bangs on something. Our dog and 2 cats are so scared they come curl up against me. But our children will grow up hearing and after we explain a lot, I'm sure they'll know it's "daddy devil time".
It's scary but we will manage like clearly you all are.
Thank you for all you say, this site as changed our lives. My husband is so happy to have this site. Unfortunately, he is terrible at writing steadily each day, even getting him on the phone can be a blessing! lol
So I do this for us, I read things each day and he really loves it.

We got married in januray but have been together almost 5 years. So we might start talking babies in a few years. I still like sleeping in and spending money on us...that's so bad! lol We spoil our animals though so I know the babies will have a good life.

I'm just typing away, sorry....

Love to all Smiley

cecilouusa  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #40 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 7:23pm

There are a lot worse things to worry about passing on to your children than Cluster headaches!  That never entered my mind one time.  As much as my daughters have seen me suffer from time to time, it is not more than a passing thought to them, either.  Heart problems, cancer, diabetes, MS, Autism, Bipolar disorder, etc... would be a concern, but I would still have children even then.  You can't escape everything, and CH's would be my choice over many issues to pass on.

IP Logged

Cece
CH.com Junior

Clusters are the devil!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #41 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 7:28pm

Joni, I agree with you totally. Actually my husband and I always say we are so grateful in a way he has the CH over cancer or aids or diabetes... Besides his CH, he has no other problems and we thank GOD everyday for that. I am very healthy as well and hope to stay that way. We can not predict what our children will have, that is very true and of course I wish they will be perfectly healthy but we will take CH over any other disorders or deadly diseases, so true!!!

cecilouusa  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #42 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 11:05pm

Good luck to you both!   Smiley

IP Logged

ras
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Greece
Reply #43 - Jun 26th, 2010 at 1:55am

I have episodic CH (2 episodes so far)

My mother has migraines but no CH family history whatsoever...

IP Logged

geoman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Montreal Quebec
Reply #44 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 1:47pm

Hi! ,if this could be useful,I was told by my doctor that the medical has evaluate to 15%,that genetically my children could have it, I do not have the specific medical recherche that confirm this ,
so far my boy has nothing is 12 years old
regards
Geoman
P.S If require I will meet with him on the 27th of this month I could ask him

IP Logged

bradish
CH.com Junior

Florida
Reply #45 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 11:29pm

I am the only one in my family with CH.  I have two boys, 4 and 7.  So far there are no symtoms and I pray to God everyday that he keeps them healthy.  I won't be able to watch my babies suffer with these.

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #46 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 3:27am

bradish wrote on Oct 17th, 2010 at 11:29pm:
I am the only one in my family with CH.  I have two boys, 4 and 7.  So far there are no symtoms and I pray to God everyday that he keeps them healthy.  I won't be able to watch my babies suffer with these. 

If they have them, you will be very supportive and helpful!!  Much more than someone that knows nothing about it.  They will be lucky to have you as a role model and confidant.  However, if you are the only one in your family, maybe they won't get them.  Think on the bright side until something happens.  Smiley

IP Logged

bradish
CH.com Junior

Florida
Reply #47 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 8:57am

Thanks Joni!  I will be there for my kids no matter what they go through in life.  Love them more than life!  Just glad I found this site for some support for myself.  It seems that nobody knows what clusters are.  Its not just a headache!!!

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #48 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 12:41pm

bradish wrote on Oct 18th, 2010 at 8:57am:
Its not just a headache!!!

You're right, it's not just a headache!!!  That's what makes it so difficult to explain to others when they know the actual headache is only about 90 minutes.  Ohhhh, there is so much more!!!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #49 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 4:13pm

bradish wrote on Oct 18th, 2010 at 8:57am:
It seems that nobody knows what clusters are.  Its not just a headache!!!

Print the following pdf and give them out to people who don't have much of an idea yet.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!