Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can CHbe passed on to children? (Read 15478 times)
bradish
CH.com Junior

Florida
Re: Can CHbe passed on to children?
Reply #50 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 10:00pm

Thank you Brew for that info.  This is going to be helpful in so many ways!  I get so tired of explaining and then to hear "I know your pain, I have migranes."  Ha, I wish it could just be migranes!

IP Logged

Pat_Ohio
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Dayton, Oh
Reply #51 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 9:25pm

Funny topic....

I called my father a couple days ago and told him about my daignosis.  He almost started to cry.  He told me that he gets them too and is so very sorry knowing that I suffer them too. It is the first time that I can remember that my father displayed real compassion for me.  It was a touching moment really... 

So while these things suck and to answer your question, obviously, they are able to be passed on, the have brought my father and I closer...  For what it's worth...

Former Marine, Christian, Husband, Father, Grandfather, Son, Brother, & Friend

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #52 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 9:42pm

Don't know if this message is still active, but just wanted to say that I would not worry I think the chance of your son inheriting it are quite slim (probably negligible)--from what I have read you would need to have some genetic marker coming from both sides of the family and the mode of inheritance would be complicated even going from there.
Take me for instance--got 4 siblings, dozens of cousins, nobody in family has CH, and nobody in my immediate family (parents, siblings, grandparents) even gets migraines.  Well, anyway, in other words my parents probably should have been worried about me when I was a baby, but they had no way of knowing.  Because I think the way it is passed down genetically is probably extremely complicated.  Don't spend your time worrying--odds are he won't get them.

IP Logged

dault
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #53 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 12:47pm

Thanks for this thread. I am glad to know I'm not the only one concerned but am glad to see it is not a common issue. My first child is due in a couple months and I have thought about him/her often during this episode. I will rest easy and deal with what is dealt. Thanks again all.

dault

IP Logged

almostsmooth
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #54 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 2:21am

My husbands father has cluster headaches and my husband also suffers from them. I have read on many sites that they think that it is genetic and more men suffer from them than women. I am very scared for my children because my husband and I have three boys and one girl. I pray that my children wont ever have to suffer from these monsters like my husband has to.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #55 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:33am

There is only a very, very slight chance of passing them on to the next generation. Something like a 1.4% greater chance than completely random.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #56 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 12:59pm

My 12 yr old son has had problems with ha's since he was 8. His only last for a full 24 hours. Too early to tell if it is CH or migraine.
I'm not ruling anything in..or out for that matter. No clue if it is hereditary or not.
I don't worry much about it at his age, and it being such a small time period of his suffering.
From personal experience, mine has gotten longer lasting through many years so I'm not even considering him for a neuro appt. anytime in the near future.
I have no family members with CH whatsoever so, I'm not seeing a hereditary link on my end.

(Not saying it's impossible but the statistics are indeed, minimal.)

-Kimmie

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!