Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The day I’ve been dreading is finally here (Read 9446 times)
DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
The day I’ve been dreading is finally here
Sep 10th, 2009 at 3:37pm

Earlier this afternoon I got a txt from one of my older boys.  He’s gonna be 28 this month. 

“Dad, what are your headaches like and where in your head do you feel the pain?”

Two txt messages later I called him and we talked.  He said he almost dropped the phone when he read my response.  From what I can tell he is experiencing quick hitters that only last a half hour to 45 minutes and peak at K3.  Says he’s had a “handful” in the last two week.  This last attack was painful enough that it really got his attention.  That’s when he decided to call. 

This is the same time of year when one of my two annual cycles starts.  They completely mirror my symptoms.  He’s a right-sider just like his Dad and his Grandfather (my dad) before him.  At least I know he won’t suffer like I did looking for a diagnosis through a sea of pain.  It was 12 years from the time I started looking for answers.

The first thing I’m advising him to do is to keep a headache diary.  If thing don’t die down quickly I’ll get him in to see my Neuro. 

It kills me to think of my kids going through this pain.  He’s my oldest Son.  Are they all gonna get it?  F-ing beast!

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: The day I’ve been dreading is finally here
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 4:10pm

No, the first thing he should do is get in to see a neurologist.

Sux, fer shure. But you've been beyond the black stump with this, Dad. Support him emotionally, and give him sound advice (which I know you will).

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 5:51pm

I watched the same thing happen with my Brother and his (then) 23 year Son. I think my Brother took it worse than his Son. Don't fall into that trap!

After his first hit, my Nephew looked at his Dad and said "I had NO fucking idea what you were going through, even seeing you suffer."

Focus on helping him with your tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience. Realize that YOUR SON will never have to go through that "lost and alone" series of emotions. Teach him how to kick it in the butt.

Marc

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 8:31am

Thanks Guys.  I'll be setting that appointment up.

-Dennis-

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:23am

Oh Man, so sorry Dennis. But so happy for one thing - that he's your son - he recognized what it was, and sought out immediate help. Unlike many other people that will suffer through many cycles before getting the help he needs, he can get through this first one!

God bless you both.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 4:02am

Love ya Dennis. Cry Know what your feeling, know as well as you it's not logical to think it......still bites. Good thing you've already paved the road for him.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 4:13am

sending vibes over there for both of you.

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 2:13pm

Sorry Dennis.   Lucky he has a GREAT Dad to help him through though.   

Hugs,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 7:34pm

Dennis, did your son get into see the neuro?  How is he doing?

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 7:41pm

No.  He's burying his head in the sand so to speak.  I'm sure when the pain gets bad enough he'll take action.  You can't make a 27 y/o do what you want even though you know it's the right thing in the long run.  Some lessons we have to learn for ourselves  Roll Eyes

-Dennis-

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 7:09pm

But you can have an O2 tank at ready.............

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 3:05pm

God, this kind of thing scares me.  I have two young boys myself and I can only pray that they don't inherit dads CH.
Dennis, with the positive feedback from this thread, your boy can become knowledgeable very quick with your insight and folks on this board.  Get him to that doctor and keep the positive thoughts.  As bad as this sounds, It sure does help when dad knows what he is going through.

Best of luck and wishing PF days to you and your son!

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 11:01pm

Chad wrote on Dec 1st, 2009 at 3:05pm:
God, this kind of thing scares me.  I have two young boys myself and I can only pray that they don't inherit dads CH.

Chances are extremely good that they won't.

Quote:
Get him to that doctor and keep the positive thoughts.

It's pretty difficult to get a 28-year-old man to do something he's not ready to do.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 8:21am

Brew, thanks for the positive insight.  I try not to think about it, but it's always in the back of my mind.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 11:44am

I think the last I heard, a child was something like 1.4% more likely to get CH than if neither parent had CH. That's just a tiny bit more than even odds.

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #15 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 5:34pm

Brew and I have watched our son closely for signs of CH over his 18 years.  Nada, so far. 

We take comfort in the fact that if he DOES develop them, he'll know what they are right away and know how to treat them.  Being an excellent supporter of his dad, he's pretty tuned in to what should be done.

Good luck Dennis.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

bradish
CH.com Junior

Florida
Reply #16 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 10:42pm

I have CH and pray that my two young boys don't inherit this.  Its horrible and so glad I found this site for support.  It gets me when people compare these to migraines.  Its not worth the battle anymore to try to explain it to them. I have never met another cluster head.  Glad to have you all!

IP Logged

Sandy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #17 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 11:32pm

This topic has crossed my mind too.  My hubby suffers.  We have 2 sons, 14 and 12.  I only found you guys, this week.....after 9 years of BS diagnosis. (Like finding the pot of gold at the end of a very gloomy rainbow!)
I DO know, that if we'd had this wealth of info, 9 years ago, it could have made a world of difference. (Red Bull, and melatonin!....Who knew!?!?....lol)
So Dennis, your son is ahead of the game, on this one.  Let him know that we are here for him also.  I wish you both the best of luck!!! 

Sandy

<b>You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. ~Robin Williams<b/>

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Reply #18 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 9:33pm

Well, son #2 came to me today to talk about these headaches he's having. Worst pain in his life. I had him take the cluster qiz.12 out of 16 consistent with clusters. Son #1 hasn't had anymore attacks since that initial episode. How is this possible?

-Dennis-

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #19 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 10:53pm

Oh that so sucks Dennis.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Reply #20 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 4:07pm

Yes indeed it does. He is going to my Neuro on Tuesday. I'm bringing some O2 by his house tonight. It seems to be  getting worse for him so he's becoming more open to advice.  Last night was his first ER visit. He learned how little that helps.

-Dennis-

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Reply #21 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 9:36pm

I just can't seem to explain how I feel right now.  I've been writing this post for about half an hour.  The closest I can come is that this just hurts in a way that nothing else has.  Not necessarily worse that some of the crap we've been through but just different.  Doesn't really do it justice but there is no other way to describe it.  My chest is tight.  I have a shadow (haven't had one since the last time I missed an application of T-gel), must be sympathy pain.  I've heard that's common. 

Every symptom, every feeling, every fear he described is so damn familiar.  The speed with which it sets in (slower for us than most).  How exquisite the pain is.  Where the pain is (he's a left sider I'm a righty).  Can't sit still.  Have to pace.  Ice helps ... sometimes.  How fast it leaves after an hour or so of torture.  How "high" you feel when it's finally gone.  How you think to your self "I must be a wimp!" ... until it returns.

This isn't the kind of legacy I envisioned passing down to my kids.  Congratulations Son.  You're title is now CH the 3rd.  My Dad to me, now me to him.  This just isn't supposed to happen.  Right?  That's what the research says. Right? WTF?

Insurance won't lelt his GP order an MRI.  At least I know he'll be in good hands on Tuesday.  Dr Shoeck is a good guy. 

Tonight he is starting a headache diary, has two e-tanks, my regulator and mask and I gave him a lesson on how to use it.  We'll know soon enough how it works for him.  We went over caffeine and tauriene and what to do if you get a repeat attack.  I've also encouraged him to check the site out. 

God this sucks...

-Dennis-

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #22 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:02am

Oh Dennis my heart just aches for you  Cry Cry Cry

I don't know what else to say except that at least they hopefully won't have to go through all the misdiagnosis that so many others have.  You've walked the walk and you are going to be their biggest supporter.

Great big hug to you and to your boys  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #23 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 1:19am

DennisM1045 wrote on Jul 14th, 2011 at 9:36pm:
this sucks...

I totally 100% agree with you.

However he can benefit hugely from your experience, knowing what might work, what to try, how to do things, what to avoid and so much more.

And do point him towards this forum.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Reply #24 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 8:38pm

I'm so frustrated.  His well meaning wife pushed to get his Tuesday appt moved up to Friday.  She can't stand seeing him suffer.  Unfortunately he didn't get to see my Neuro.  Instead he saw some intern. 

The idiot sent him home with a beta blocker to treat Trigemenal Nuralgia and orders NOT to touch Oxygen.  Seems the Dr doesn't want to contaminate the BB results by having him use Oxygen.  "If you use Oxygen we won't know if you are still getting attacks" This stupid SOB sent him home with only half a treatment plan!!!  Is he supposed to suffer through daily attacks for the next two weeks so you can check off an item on your list?  WFT? 

The script never got called in and they promissed to "work with the insurance company to get an MRI scheduled".

Now I'm left with a very confused kid who is getting his ass kicked riding this thing bareback.  The poor bastard doesn't know who to listen to. 

-Dennis-

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!