Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Treatment that works!!!!! (Read 8328 times)
CubFan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

A Treatment that works!!!!!
Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:27pm

Finally!  After 4 years of suffering, I've finally figured out why I've had the cluster headaches and how to stop them almost completely!  This may work for all of you, so immediately ask your doctor to have some tests ran.  I suspected that I may have been low in testosterone and decided to try a testosterone supplement on a hunch.  Almost immediately after I started taking DHEA, which was is the main ingredient in this pill, my headaches, which I suffered from the chronic form, not only diminished in frequency, but diminished in intensity as well.  I then saw Dr. Todd Schwedt from Washington University in St. Louis.  He is one of the best Neurologists in the country and has done many clinical trials and tests on headaches and cluster headaches.  When I told him what I did and the results of the pill I was taking, he was rather intrigued.  He immediately called for a testosterone blood test as well as others.  The results came in and I was found to be extremely low in both testosterone free and overall testosterone levels.  He is taking me off the supplement testosterone and giving me a prescription patch of testosterone, but he is in agreement with me that my low level of testosterone was most likely the cause of my cluster headaches.  I urge you to ask your doctor to have your hormone level as well as thyroid, cbc and any other blood tests checked.  It may be that simple!
Good Luck!!!  I'm considering myself cured even though I get small headaches once a week that go away, sometimes on their own and only hit a pain level of 3 out of 10 max!!  And I was suffering major attacks daily, 3-6 daily at kip levels 9-10 consistently!  My life was over as far as I was concerned....and this was only 1 month ago!!

IP Logged

JHK07
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: A Treatment that works!!!!!
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 12:04am

what is dhea? what is your gender?   why did you have a hunch on your own that testosterone was low?  good food for thought.  definately a new idea around here that i have not read before. I am new to this websight, but not to the the beast. not a chronic, but feel for those who are. Really hope it works for you.  how long have you tried this regime?
currently i am a topomamx 50mg and no caffeine guy.. and i am a happy camper.   3 months.  good for you!!! anytime someone find something that works it is always ducking awesome!  I hope it is forever.

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 12:14am

Here's a thread on the use of testosterone treatment.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 9:36am

When I saw your screen name, I thought for sure you were going to say it was from being a Cub fan and having to consistently bash your head with your fist.

Seriously, yes, the testosterone therapy has been discussed here at great length. In fact, I printed a study and handed it to my neuro last visit and asked her to be prepared to discuss on my next visit.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 9:38am

That's great news. It's been discussed here several times and is showing a lot of promise for some on the board. Hoping it continues to work for you. Pain free is an awesome thing!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

southwalessunshine
CH.com Veteran

caerphilly uk
Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 3:22am

I saw this discussed a while ago and immediatley got myself tested for testosterone, oestrogen and some others for good measure.  All came back normal so no connection for me.

keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow.&&Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.&&Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.&&Helen keller

IP Logged

dj51
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NJ
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:29pm

CubFan wrote on Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:27pm:
Finally!  After 4 years of suffering, I've finally figured out why I've had the cluster headaches and how to stop them almost completely!  This may work for all of you, so immediately ask your doctor to have some tests ran.  I suspected that I may have been low in testosterone and decided to try a testosterone supplement on a hunch.  Almost immediately after I started taking DHEA, which was is the main ingredient in this pill, my headaches, which I suffered from the chronic form, not only diminished in frequency, but diminished in intensity as well.  I then saw Dr. Todd Schwedt from Washington University in St. Louis.  He is one of the best Neurologists in the country and has done many clinical trials and tests on headaches and cluster headaches.  When I told him what I did and the results of the pill I was taking, he was rather intrigued.  He immediately called for a testosterone blood test as well as others.  The results came in and I was found to be extremely low in both testosterone free and overall testosterone levels.  He is taking me off the supplement testosterone and giving me a prescription patch of testosterone, but he is in agreement with me that my low level of testosterone was most likely the cause of my cluster headaches.  I urge you to ask your doctor to have your hormone level as well as thyroid, cbc and any other blood tests checked.  It may be that simple!
Good Luck!!!  I'm considering myself cured even though I get small headaches once a week that go away, sometimes on their own and only hit a pain level of 3 out of 10 max!!  And I was suffering major attacks daily, 3-6 daily at kip levels 9-10 consistently!  My life was over as far as I was concerned....and this was only 1 month ago!!

Makes a lot of sense...I think the brain chems...serotonin, testosterone, thyroid is what is causing it for many of us. I think it maybe a different chem for different folks. That's why everyone responds to something different. So glad to hear something is working for you! Smiley

IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 2:09pm

CubFan wrote on Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:27pm:
Finally!  After 4 years of suffering, I've finally figured out why I've had the cluster headaches and how to stop them almost completely!  !!

So many openings, so little time....LOL

Cubfan...aka eternal optomist...
I hope you're right but I'll bet you also believe the Cubs "almost" won the World Series last year Wink

A Cub fan low on testosterone?? And now they have a test to confirm it?? These doctors and their needless testing!!

Any Cub fan thats been suffering for 4 years..was born in 2006

In all seriousness, best of luck with the treatments. It has heped some people and worth getting checked.

Bobw

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

MikeS
CH.com Junior

x0||||||
Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 12:12pm

I found I had low testosterone from a physical. I was down to less then 7 attacks each week, however Over the last 2 years I was never getting CH free days. After 3 weeks of testosterone I was down to about 5 CHs a week.
         MikeS

manicmechanic

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!