Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flights, is that a problem? (Read 1307 times)
renana
CH.com Newbie

It's all in my head...

Israel
Flights, is that a problem?
Dec 8th, 2009 at 3:26pm

Hello all,
I was diagnosed with the devil a little bit more than a year ago (thinking that's a long time 'till I got here and saw some brave souls dealing with it for more years than I live) and I got to a point everything I tried so far haven't helped me, and the theory of the "time off" (periods of no pain?) appeared untrue in my case (I still hope Roll Eyes).
Last summer I had a very painful moment where I found out why they called it suicidal headaches and from that moment I started to fear being alone.

I'm not giving up but I would love to hear about ways of "fighting back" as I read in one of the posts here.

I read somewhere that long flights are a problem, and I couldn't find more information about it, if you know more (or have any experience with it) and about ways of dealing with it I really want to know.

I'm so happy to find this home and Know that I'm not alone or going crazy...
everyone here are so brave to not give up to pain and fear.

Renana

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=547770410  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Re: Flights, is that a problem?
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 4:58pm

Renana-

I am sorry you have to be here.  I didn't hear you mention any meds, etc.  The more you can describe your situation, the better people here can help support you.  Let us know more about your headaches and treatments.  There are many things that can help you and people will come along and tell you more.  Get some Red Bull and chug it the first sign of a headache.  Some here also take Melatonin at night.

I am a 25 year episodic and my last 2 cycles, I took Verapamil as a preventative and Zyprexa as an abortive.  Many on here love O2.  They can give you info and tips.

I have never had a problem with headaches and flying, but I don't often fly.  Someone else can maybe help you with this question.

Good luck!
Joni

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

remission lover
CH.com Junior

You're messin with the
wrong girl...I'm a fighter!

Lansing, Michigan
Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 6:04pm

Hello and welcome. Sorry you had to "join the club". I am a four year sufferer and found this site approx. a month ago. I am going through a cycle right now and still find time to come here everyday because I love the people so much. They are therapy in itself. There are two types of cluster people. Episodic and chronic. After a year straight, I would say you are chronic. Us episodic people get breaks for like a year or more at a time. My condolences to you, really. Please, please look around at all of the links and arm yourself with some information. Then come back and fire your questions at us, it's what were here for besides moral support. To answer your first question to us, I have yet to fly while going through an episode or cycle but rest assured, people will start chiming in soon enough. Are you lookin to come to the states for fun or treatment? Just being nosey.
Roberta

Grandma always said "this too shall pass". But then again she didn't have ch so she didn't think to say "this too shall come again (and again) at the most inconvenient times".

IP Logged

renana
CH.com Newbie

It's all in my head...

Israel
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 3:23am

Thank you for answering so fast.
being on a cycle makes me feel the world is evil for some reason, its so good to find kindness.

treatments:
At first my Dr' put me on Sumatridex (sumahtriptan?) which helped a little with the pain but with terrible side effects and a "rebound" attack the day after, so I changed to Rizalt, at the moment it doesn't help at all (and there are no side effect bur who cares?)
O2 is  my friend. It only helps when I'm actually taking it, Its not stopping the attack, its just a short relief from it.
And sometimes it doesn't help (I don't know why) and than I bang my head on the floor (thinking about it now it sounds funny)

I'm going to the states to be a counselor on a summer camp winter retreat, a little bit panicked to leave my O2 behind now that I have nothing else and the beast is showing op once a week to remind me she'll always stay by me...
I know I'm chronic, My DR was kind enough to tell me a few weeks ago,I'm trying to ignore it.
any suggestions?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 4:04am

Since you're chronic, talk to your doctor about using lithium as a preventative medication, historically it's a little more effective for chronics then for episodics......having said that I'm episodic and it works great for me! I take 1200 mg a day while on cycle, blocks up to 70% of my attacks.

Have you tried the imitrex injectables? I carry them when I fly, I do a good deal of flying and have never had an attack while flying so no cause and effect there for me.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 5:44am

I fly back and forward to the US a lot. It's a minimum of a seven hour flight for me from England and I have found that by using frovatriptan as a preventative measure I haven't been hit while flying since 2005.
I take the frova a couple of hours before flying and since it has a half life of 26 hours it has (so far!) been good at blocking attacks for me.

Hope it helps!
Helen

IP Logged

renana
CH.com Newbie

It's all in my head...

Israel
Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 10:46am

Thank you!
I will see what I can try.

IP Logged

remission lover
CH.com Junior

You're messin with the
wrong girl...I'm a fighter!

Lansing, Michigan
Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:41pm

Helen and Joe had some good suggestions for your flight. Once you get here, try stocking up on some energy drinks. You will notice posts around here, me included that help to abort or just help with the intensity if you chug one down fast. I hate energy drinks and had never had one until mentioned on here. Now, they either help get rid of it or at least make it more managable. Also, let us know what state you are coming to and maybe someone here from that state or specific area can help explain how to pick up some oxygen without going to a doctor or needing a prescription. Just two thoughts that are relatively cheap and easy to obtain once you get here. Hope it helps.
Roberta

Grandma always said "this too shall pass". But then again she didn't have ch so she didn't think to say "this too shall come again (and again) at the most inconvenient times".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!