Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
stretching (Read 1206 times)
slemkay
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

stretching
Jan 9th, 2010 at 10:53am

Hi there I am a newcomer, although I have been a sufferer for about seven years.

Last night I began my third headache in a new cycle. I got out of bed, and began a stretching routine that included my back, shoulders and neck. After about half an hour of restless stretching, I lay on back, cocked my head to the left (my pain is ALWAYS on the right side) and pressed at the base of my skull, right where the muscle disappears under the skull. This spot is always tight and lumpy when a CH begins, and I find that massaging it lessons the pain significantly. With the light stretching and the massaging of that spot, the pain vanished.

Has anyone else tried stretching or checked their necks for knots and tightness? I will be trying this again as I have no access to meds or oxygen.

good luck!
scott.

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Re: stretching
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 9:50am

Hi Scott....welcome to the site.

Perhaps if you'd post on the newcomers board (introduce yourself) more folks would see it and answer your questions.

Again...welcome and good luck.

IP Logged

joesf
CH.com Junior

x1|San francisco|USA|usa|18|156|
Re: stretching
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 9:55pm

Hi Slemkay,

Several years ago I was in rehab for a tibial plateu fracture (broken knee) when I had the return of a CH cycle. One day, while the Physical Therapist was doing some rather painful extension to see how much movement he could get back in my knee I was in the midst of a CH attack that became quite severe. I didn't want to say anything about the CH and forgot about the knee pain. So the PT just kept stretching it and finally he said you can really take pain this should be hurting but  the headache was so bad I didnt notice. Suddenly there was the senstation of something  releasing and the headache was gone, like someone had turned off a switch! It was related to something that streched in my leg..
However after this incident I never got any relief from trying to stretch myself during a CH.  I never experienced a sudden,on the dime, CH exit that way again.
The CH cycle continued as usual several hours later  after this incident.
So yes something happend  but I could never reproduce the situation of having agressive strectching by a PT during a CH again so who knows?
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2010 at 9:57pm by joesf »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!