Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A problem with a DISS regulator (Read 1595 times)
akage
CH.com Junior

A problem with a DISS regulator
Feb 27th, 2010 at 1:54pm

Hi all,

I've recently bought a regulator with two DISS fittings and a single barb one from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register as I want to try a demand valve which only comes with a DISS fitting. The problem is that even when I attach the DISS tubing to the regulator (with the demand valve on the other side) a lot of oxygen is still leaving through the barb outlet. Is this normal, or did I just get a faulty regulator? Is there any way I can block the oxygen flow through the barb outlet?

Thanks

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: A problem with a DISS regulator
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 3:32pm

Select 0 "zero" on the flow gage selector...

Take care,

V/R, Batch.

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

akage
CH.com Junior

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 4:31pm

Thank you! It never occurred to me that oxygen would be able to flow without turning the flow selector Smiley

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 6:35pm

You're not alone...  Regulators like yours with both DISS and Barb fittings with selectable flow rates can be sneaky...  Always rotate the flow selector to zero then turn off the cylinder supply valve... 

I've had the unfortunate experience of thinking I'd rotated the flow selector to zero after a successful abort, but only made it to the 1 liter/minute flow rate position...  You can imagine my surprise and anger when I found the oxygen cylinder was empty the next time I tried to us it...

I've also looked at the model oxygen regulator you posted...  What flow rate did you order?

If you're having more than 3 attacks a day, you should be using M-size oxygen cylinders...  They generally cost $30/refill and they're good for 20 to 30 aborts for a cost/abort of $1.00 to $1.50. 

The E-size oxygen cylinders cost around $20/refill and hold enough oxygen for 3 to 6 aborts for a cost/abort of $3.00 up to $6.00...  You do the math...

You can also pick up a CGA 870 to CGA-540 transfill adapter that will let you use your CGA-870 regulator on the larger M-size oxygen cylinders...  The adapter costs $75 and you can pick one up on line from Cumulus Soaring at:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You'll want P/N 00GSE-1025-00       TA-870-P

It looks like the following when used with an M-size oxygen cylinder and your regulator...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 6:39pm

Full of wisdom the Batch Man is!!! Knowing of oxygen he does, great to see yer mug around here sir! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

akage
CH.com Junior

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 2:18pm

Thanks for the tips. I've bought the 25LPM regulator as there was no price difference and I wanted to have an option of using the highest flow rate available (although 15LPM is usually enough for me). Given that I want to use this regulator with a demand valve I probably won't be using the selector too often.
For CGA 540 there's also an option of buying a dedicated 15LPM regulator w/DISS for $30 including shipping on Ebay.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2010 at 2:22pm by akage »  

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 3:30pm

There are regulators that go higher than 25lpm. I have one that goes to 60lpm from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

When using a DISS & demand valve it doesn't matter what flow the regulator is. The demand isn't controlled by that. More or less it bypasses it.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!