Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Massaging pressure points (Read 1585 times)
auzziegirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Massaging pressure points
Mar 1st, 2010 at 11:45pm

Hi,

First of all, I would like to thank you for putting this site up.  I didn't even know the name of the headaches I have been getting until I did my own research.  My doctor didn't even know what I had.

From time to time, I suffer from sinus headaches.  My husband massages the back of my neck and temples and this tends to reduce the sinus pain I feel.  However, sometimes the massage triggers an awful pain that seems to radiate throughout my head.  It is so severe that I become immobilized.  I try to squeeze my skull between my hands to stop the pain, but to no avail.  Thankfully, this headache only lasts for 30 seconds or so.  My heart goes to all those suffering for minutes, hours, and days at end.

Is there a relationship between the sinus and cluster headaches?  Please advise.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Re: Massaging pressure points
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 1:31am

Hi Auzziegirl,

I'm not aware of a direct relationship between the sinus and CH.

I haven't heard of a case of CH that only lasts 30 seconds per attack either, so thankfully you may not  have CH.

For those 30 seconds you are our sister in this battle though.  Cool

I wonder if you might wanna consider not having your husband massage the back of your neck and temples anymore?  Smiley

PS - CH pain occurs primarily on one side of the head.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2010 at 1:43am by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 2:11am

There probably is a relationship between CH and the sinuses, but it's not really been identified. I say that because some can get relief by applying lidocaine to the nasal passages on the affected side. Also because of how the sinus runs on the affected side.

Otherwise the only real relationship we've seen on the board is the large number of people who are misdiagnosed originally as having severe sinus issues, only to find out they were suffering from CH.

Like Jeeber I'm a little confused by your post as what you're describing is not typical CH symptoms. When you get a chance let us know more about what your symptomology is, what has and hasn't helped you in the past, what the doctors have told you etc. There are so many different headache types and meds that help some are worthless or even harmful for others. We don't diagnose here, but maybe we can steer you in the right direction. Headache pain.....of ANY kind, sucks!

Joe
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2010 at 2:12am by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

auzziegirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 12:55pm

Thank you for your responses.

I'm kind of in the middle of a self diagnosis, as my doctor has no idea what I am talking about when I describe the headache.  I am certainly relieved that it doesn't sound like CH, especially after reading all the personal horror stories.  I can't imagine the pain you go through.

I don't have my neck or temples massaged anymore, even though that was the best way to relieve my sinus pressure.  However, I can feel the onset of the headache when I blow my nose also and I have to stop abruptly and hope that it doesn't start.  On a few occasions, I felt the headache from just that.

I think the best way to describe my headache is a sharp pain that radiates through my whole head (not just one side).  It only lasts for up to 30 secs, but like I mentioned in my previous post, I become immobolized for that period of time.  One thing I am certain of is that the pain is related to my sinuses because I only get these episodes during sinus problems.

I may certainly be on the wrong site, but if you have any answers or advice, I would love to hear from you, especialy since I am not getting any from my doctor. 

I appreciate your patience and time.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 1:18pm

auzziegirl wrote on Mar 2nd, 2010 at 12:55pm:
...if you have any answers or advice, I would love to hear from you, especialy since I am not getting any from my doctor.

How about, "get a new doctor?"

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 3:41pm

Take the cluster quiz here to give you some direction.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Also, take a look at these other forms of headaches.

From the IHS  International Classification Of Headache Disorders  2nd Edition 

SUNCT: 

Diagnostic criteria: 
A. At least 20 attacks fulfilling criteria B–D 
B. Attacks of unilateral orbital, supraorbital or temporal 
stabbing or pulsating pain lasting 5–240 seconds   
C. Pain is accompanied by ipsilateral conjunctival 
injection and lacrimation 
D. Attacks occur with a frequency from 3 to 200 per 
day 
E. Not attributed to another disorder 

---------- 
Paroxysmal Hemicranias: 

Diagnostic criteria: 
A. At least 20 attacks fulfilling criteria B–D 
B. Attacks of severe unilateral orbital, supraorbital or temporal pain lasting 2–30 minutes 
C. Headache is accompanied by at least one of the following: 
1. ipsilateral conjunctival injection and/or lacrimation 
2. ipsilateral nasal congestion and/or rhinorrhoea 
3. ipsilateral eyelid oedema 
4. ipsilateral forehead and facial sweating 
5. ipsilateral miosis and/or ptosis 
D. Attacks have a frequency above 5 per day for more than half of the time, although periods with lower frequency may occur 
E. Attacks are prevented completely by therapeutic 
doses of indomethacin 
F. Not attributed to another disorder 

We all understand a lack of education on cluster headaches by Dr's.   They get a whole 5 hours of training in medical school on headaches.  ALL different kinds of headaches...so you can see most are NOT up on the latest treatements,  much less the knowledge to diagnose.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

auzziegirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 7:03pm

Hi Linda,

Thank you very much for the information above.  It was very helpful. 

Auzziegirl Smiley

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 11:51pm

Where exactly are you?   No, we don't need an address..but a state or at least a country would be nice in order to push you in the right direction.

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

auzziegirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 8:03pm

I'm an expat living in California Wink

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 10:13pm

O.k.....Now THAT is funny as hell.  I'm a Californian living in Kentucky as of last June.  LMAO!!! 

If you can send me a private message, I may be able to help you find a Dr. in your area.

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

auzziegirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 10:22pm

Thanks for your genuine concern Linda.

I recently went to the doctor's and dentist's office.  Turns out my sinus's are sitting directly on the root of my teeth.  The doctor believes this could be the source of the throbbing headaches.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!