Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Alcohol Trigger (Read 5904 times)
jmac
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware
Alcohol Trigger
Jun 6th, 2010 at 10:05pm

So, for me I don't think beer is a trigger.  Last week, I drank nothing but water, ate very healthy, and I had at least one attack a day sometimes 2.  Then, yesterday was out on the boat with friends.  Beer was there and I couldn't resist...  So i had about 8 throughout the course of the day, then ate alot of unhealthy food... just knowing I was going to pay that night... Guess what?  Not one attack.  Crazy...  Anyone else out there find that beer is not a trigger?  Maybe the cycle is over for me?  Tonight will tell...

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Alcohol Trigger
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 10:39pm

It used to be said on the board alcohol was a 100% trigger......more and more poeple are posting that they can get away with certain kinds of alcohol, including beer, and not get hit at all. Yet one more way the beast is so damned different for every person!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 7:48am

Yeah, it does seem for me alcohol is a 100% trigger, almost. I guess that makes it a 99% trigger, or something. Every once in awhile, about twice a year now, I'll indulge because, well damn it, I want to! Sometimes I pay the price and sometimes I don't. But if I am in full and hard cycle-it just isn't worth it.

IP Logged

birdman
CH.com Old Timer

Will try anything once!

x0|staten island|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 8:22am

I have never felt that it was worth the risk.  I always wait until I am comfortable that I am out of cycle.

IP Logged

JHK07
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 10:27am

I've been getting popped by the beast bout 3x a week for the last month.  Went out drinking 2x.  No attacks from drinking.   

There have been PLENTY of times the beast has sent me home early from the bar though.....

IP Logged

Skull Buster
CH.com Junior

WARNING: Easily amused

birmingham AL
Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 12:25pm

Something wierd I noticed about myself if some past cycles. Beer would almost always trigger it. Whiskey, not as much. And, If I tried to casual drink, I would end up dancing w/ the devil, But speed up, slam a few, and power drink, and it would hold them at bay,most times. BUT, over all. IT'S JUST NOT WORTH THE RISK.

IP Logged

ccbiggsoo7
CH.com Veteran

x0|st. louis|||||
Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 1:23am

1 night 10 beers, no headaches! next night, 1 beer headache! Who knows! Roll of the dice!

chris

IP Logged

tripsaplenty
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 12:13am

Some types of alcohol are more likely to trigger for me, a sip of wine will always trigger a headache within minutes, beer will usually trigger, and hard liquor is the "safest" for me to drink.  I'm chronic so I never really feel safe having a drink.  The strange thing is if go all out and drink like 5 or 6 drinks(not wine) in 20-30 minutes I don't get a headache but if I try to drink responsibly 9 out of 10 times I get one.  I don't enjoy getting hammered like that anymore, college days have passed, so i basically quit drinking unless I had a really crappy week.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2010 at 12:14am by tripsaplenty »  

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 12:18am

tripsaplenty wrote on Jul 24th, 2010 at 12:13am:
I don't enjoy getting hammered like that anymore, college days have passed, so i basically quit drinking unless I had a really crappy week.

hahaha - ain't it the truth!
I just figured I'd become a lightweight 'cause I couldn't drink more than 1 glass of wine or whatever without getting a headache.  I'd joke that I'd get the hangover half way though the glass.  Haven't had a drink in almost a year - like many others, I think it's just not worth it.

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 12:52am

Alcohol is an inevitable trigger for me when I'm in cycle.  One swallow, and bingo.  Consequently, I won't touch the stuff during an active cycle.  The "beer test" is proof positive for me that the thing is actually gone, and that remission has begun. 

I'm an episodic, however.  I've heard it said here that episodics seem to be more sensitive to alcohol.  Chronics, not as much.

Whether or not that is true, I couldn't say. 

Of course, even if it is true, there are going to be the exceptions, both chronic and episodic.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 2:59am

wine and whiskey yes, beer not so much.

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 8:50am

In my last cycle one bottle of beer (cheep french stuff) would always bring on an attack, to the extent that during that time I quit drinking all together , But on a couple of occasions I went down the pub with my brother and had 3 pints of guinness and a JD n' coke - no problem, so may be if you want a drink you have to go out and get slaughtered   Cheesy  Wink

God bless
Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 7:06pm

George wrote on Jul 24th, 2010 at 12:52am:
Alcohol is an inevitable trigger for me when I'm in cycle.  One swallow, and bingo.  Consequently, I won't touch the stuff during an active cycle.  The "beer test" is proof positive for me that the thing is actually gone, and that remission has begun. 

Same here....

I'm an episodic, however.  I've heard it said here that episodics seem to be more sensitive to alcohol.  Chronics, not as much.

When epidodic...exquisitely sensitive in cycle...no problem when out. Now chronic...with high/low cycles...same deal. Can't drink in high cycle...USUALLY can when in low....

Now, when in high cycle, I just send my beer to AussieBrian....and if he denies it...I'm thinking he just missed his 2 x 10mg of Namenda Grin

Neither can anyone else....welcome to clusterville....

Of course, even if it is true, there are going to be the exceptions, both chronic and episodic.

No truer words.....there aint no RULE....

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

davidj35
CH.com Veteran

02 is my best friend

x0|LaGrange|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 8:03pm

Best,

George

Me to a tee George.

David

David Ellicott  
IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 7:22am

Lettucehead wrote on Jul 24th, 2010 at 12:18am:
  Haven't had a drink in almost a year - like many others, I think it's just not worth it.
There are additional benefits to that.
Staying clear from alcohol is good for the body other than an occasional glass of red wine and we know what red wine does....  It figures the alcohol that is beneficial is the one that triggers the most, however we are all different.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Dana
CH.com Alumnus

The beast hater

Jacksonville, FL
Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 12:33pm

I got hit over 16 years ago after drinking a beer and I wasn't even in cycle. Hurt so bad I actually thought I was going to die. So for me I have not had any type of alcohol for 16 years and I'm to chicken to even think about taking the chance rather I'm in cycle or not. I have danced with the beast since 1983 and I was chronic for my first 10 years. The beast is so unpredictable you just never know when he wants to do the forbidden dance with you.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 7:28pm

jon019 wrote on Jul 26th, 2010 at 7:06pm:
Now, when in high cycle, I just send my beer to AussieBrian....

And I've written many testimonials proving the efficacy of this treatment.

PM now for mailing address and immediate relief!!!

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:01pm

Any amount, any kind of alcohol will trigger me, even just a few sips of beer. 

DAMNIT !   I used to enjoy a nice dark beer now and then.  Friggin CH blows!

So, anyone who can have a beer, please have one for me!   Cheers!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #18 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:22pm

let's become a bit philosophic;

it's called "trigger" - generously more catalyzing trigger than a generating, inducing activator - that's why it sometimes kicks in, the next day you're free; i guess "trigger" is the right word  to describe this viscious situation   Wink

my cluster is my partner - loyal, laying me down often enough and can make me cry !!
feneq.fox  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #19 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:52am

feneq wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:22pm:

it's called "trigger" - generously more catalyzing trigger than a generating, inducing activator - that's why it sometimes kicks in, the next day you're free; i guess "trigger" is the right word  to describe this viscious situation

What?

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #20 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:54pm

wimsey1 wrote on Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:52am:
feneq wrote on Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:22pm:

it's called "trigger" - generously more catalyzing trigger than a generating, inducing activator - that's why it sometimes kicks in, the next day you're free; i guess "trigger" is the right word  to describe this viscious situation

What?

Ummm ... Catalyst = Trigger  = Same thing.   Cheesy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
M.K. Gandhi

IP Logged

feneq
CH.com Junior

uncommented

germany
Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 5:07pm

yeah obviously - i can't express it as precisely as it would sound in german Undecided
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2010 at 5:08pm by feneq »  

my cluster is my partner - loyal, laying me down often enough and can make me cry !!
feneq.fox  
IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #22 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 5:12pm

A for effort though Feneq  Wink

M.K. Gandhi

IP Logged

musician56
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #23 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 6:07pm

I always enjoy a couple of beers nearly everyday after work.  But, since becoming a CH sufferer five years ago at age 49, it's impossible for me to even have half a beer or any alcohol when in my cycle.  In fact, it's the first shadow/headache when enjoying beer that let's me know my cycle has begun.  So, that's a bittersweet thing, huh?! Undecided

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #24 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 7:41pm

In fact, it's the first shadow/headache when enjoying beer that let's me know my cycle has begun.  So, that's a bittersweet thing, huh?! 

You make my head hurt and inconvenience me.....and on top of that you gotta take my beer too? Just aint right! Angry

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!