Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Relapse & Topiramate (Read 1848 times)
jdelisle
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Relapse & Topiramate
Jun 29th, 2010 at 1:09pm

I started having headaches back in 2004.  It took a solid year before anyone was able to diagnose them as CH.  I went through all of the scans, tests, and procedures that most of you went through before the doctors at The Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago finally diagnosed me with CH. 

Verapamil seemed to do the trick for 5-6 years, but just recently I got hit with a bad case and haven't been able to shake it for going on 4 weeks now.  They've gotten very bad and I've actually had severe neck pain as well.  I've been taking 100mg Topiramate daily for about 4 days now and it seems to be helping a little bit.  The medicine is making me very tired, a little depressed and a little irritable.  I've noticed a few minor things like coke tasting terrible, not being able to tolerate hot showers, losing words occassionally, and being down right loopy sometimes.

Anyway, the point of this post is to thank all of you for posting your thoughts and suggestions for battling through these headaches.  I was pretty depressed the other day when I decided to come on here and read through some of your posts.  It was very comforting to know there are others dealing with the exact same issues.  Even if those around me might not understand what I'm going through, I know you guys can sympathize.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Relapse & Topiramate
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 1:16pm

Welcome to the board, glad you found us. I've never taken the med you're currently on so I can't help you there. I will say when cycles get outta hand and I start getting hammered with hits, I end up with a screwed up neck and shoulders, just from fighting through the attacks. I've tried the relax and don't fight the pain routine but when it goes ballistic....damn! Cheesy

I'm sure if you've been reading the board at all you've seen oxygen mentioned like a bo-zillion times. The success rate for quick aborts is awful hard to argue with. If you're not already an 02 "user", I'd strongly encourage you to read the oxygen info tab on the left and talk to the doc about it. I went from 90 minute attacks to aborting in less then 10 minutes the majority of the time.

Wishing you a short cycle!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

jdelisle
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 1:22pm

If you were wondering, Topomax = Topiramate.  Thanks Joe!

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 3:28pm

Quote:
I've noticed a few minor things like coke tasting terrible, not being able to tolerate hot showers, losing words occassionally, and being down right loopy sometimes.

I was on topomax for over a year. Up side: weight loss. Down side: just about everything else. Cycles progressed quite nicely and I, too, found it's nickname (dopa-max) to be quite accurate. Lost words? Try entire dictionaries! Welcome, by the way, and blessings! lance

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 1:20am

Dope-o-max is true but good news is it does seem to come
back when you stop taking it.

Well I think, Wait I can't remember! Ha ha Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!