Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Predinsone and hiccups? (Read 12461 times)
Jim L
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Predinsone and hiccups?
Jul 3rd, 2010 at 1:53am

I just stared a round of prednisone two days ago and have had constand, annoying hiccups.  When they coincide with a CH, it is REALLY bad.  Anyone else experience that?  (And, yes, I'm up at 2 am because I can't sleep because of the prednisone...)  Jim

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Re: Predinsone and hiccups?
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 2:05am

Prednisone, hiccups are a fairly common side affect.

Its not fun with a CH. Been many years since I experienced them.

MJ

IP Logged

Emma_s
CH.com Junior

Wishing PF time for everyone
x

United Kingdom
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 5:20am

Jim L wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 1:53am:
I just stared a round of prednisone two days ago and have had constand, annoying hiccups.  When they coincide with a CH, it is REALLY bad.  Anyone else experience that?  (And, yes, I'm up at 2 am because I can't sleep because of the prednisone...)  Jim

Hopefully it is a side effect that may settle if you are on them long term! Sorry to hear you are having further trouble with your CHs Sad

IP Logged

plateglass
CH.com Junior

Seaside Heights, NJ
Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 6:16am

never had the hiccupp problem but I can relate with the..up at 2am problem!!! sucks  Hope the pred breaks your cycle.

Wouldn't it be easier if we just cut off your head?

IP Logged

Jim L
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 11:35am

I'm on day three of 80 mg Prednisone and I'm told that I'm acting like a frantic son-of-a-bitch.  No headaches this morning -- I actually went to the farmer's market and to an estate sale and got home without even a shadow of a headach.  Oh, how I am sorely tempted to have a beer....

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 11:56am

Are you taking a preventative as well?

IP Logged

Jim L
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 12:03pm

Yep, I'm on 480 mg Prednisone and have oxygen on hand (I just got a call from the driver that my refill of my "M" tank should be here in 20 minutes!).  Also, I've got a sumitriptan as an abortive, and a 'fridge full of Red Bull, and a freezer with several flexible ice packs.  Now, if the damned cycle would just end.   (I am dying for a beer or two this afternoon, but don't dare!).   Jim

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 2:24pm

I sure hope to heaven you didn't really mean 480mg prednisone - cause, yeah, that'd make you a pretty 'frantic son-of-a-bitch' just before your poor adrenal gland exploded...
(not literally, but you get the point...)

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 3:03pm

i don't know if this is helpful but here anyway

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

especially this part maybe related

The sudden intake of a high dose of corticosteroids may have caused gastric irritation and hiccups. It has also been proposed that corticosteroids lower the threshold for synaptic transmission in the mid-brain and directly stimulate the hiccup reflex arc.[2]

maybe the dosage was increased far too soon?
just a thought hope you find it helpful

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 5:11pm

Based on the dosage, I'm guessing that the 480mg of preventative refers to verapamil.

480mg per day was my magic number, too.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 5:49pm

good notice.my mistake

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Jim L
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 9:04pm

Oops -- 480 Verapamil.  80 mg Predinsone.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 10:02am

Jim L wrote on Jul 3rd, 2010 at 9:04pm:
Oops -- 480 Verapamil.  80 mg Predinsone.

That's kinda what I thought. 480mg of prednisone is the level they give to only an elite group of patients - like post-op transplant patients.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Jim L
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 3:38pm

Given the frantic feeling I get from 80 mg of predinsone, I can't even begin to imagine what a lot more would do!  No hiccups today, knock on wood!

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 4:36pm

You're lucky, 80mgs of Pred made me into a semi nut case. Went on a spending spree that I'm still paying for 5 yrs later.  Cheesy

My Neuro says never that much again, luckily I've went thru this cycle with no Pred. Don't get me wrong it is still a weapon I may use again.

Don
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2010 at 4:37pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #15 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 5:06pm

Skyhawk5 wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 4:36pm:
You're lucky, 80mgs of Pred made me into a semi nut case. Went on a spending spree that I'm still paying for 5 yrs later.  Cheesy

My Neuro says never that much again, luckily I've went thru this cycle with no Pred. Don't get me wrong it is still a weapon I may use again.

Well if you use it again, I'm coming with ya.... Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #16 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 5:16pm

I have enough left over from the last time to send us both to the moon. You want some??? Ha!

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

jayhedges
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #17 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 11:07pm

Has anyone really had prednisone break a cycle. I was on it for a 10 day taper and i think all it did was space me out and make me gain 10 pounds. Verapamil is supposed to be the preventative, but frankly I read very few success stories about either one. I went off all my meds one week ago tomorrow as I was planning on busting today but shrooms didn't arrive as planned. But I'm using 25 to 30 lpm of 100% o2, Red Bull, and when I don't want all the caffein, 1 teaspoon of ginger powder with 3 tablespoons of water. (tastes like shit) which David recommneded and is good for shadows. For Busting and preventative I suggest reading the strings at clusterbusters. Shrooms seem to be the most available and abopt 80% success at busting (not legal) or seeds (legal) but I think about 50% successful. I am not a health food freak, but I am going aunaturale for CH, and the severity of my ha's is definately down since going off the meds. Good luck with whatever makes you pf but I wouldn't spend my life trying to balance all the meds and side affects when o2 WORKS! Keep us posted...I'm interested...Jay

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 12:15am

jayhedges wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 11:07pm:
Has anyone really had prednisone break a cycle. I was on it for a 10 day taper and i think all it did was space me out and make me gain 10 pounds. Verapamil is supposed to be the preventative, but frankly I read very few success stories about either one. I went off all my meds one week ago tomorrow as I was planning on busting today but shrooms didn't arrive as planned. But I'm using 25 to 30 lpm of 100% o2, Red Bull, and when I don't want all the caffein, 1 teaspoon of ginger powder with 3 tablespoons of water. (tastes like shit) which David recommneded and is good for shadows. For Busting and preventative I suggest reading the strings at clusterbusters. Shrooms seem to be the most available and abopt 80% success at busting (not legal) or seeds (legal) but I think about 50% successful. I am not a health food freak, but I am going aunaturale for CH, and the severity of my ha's is definately down since going off the meds. Good luck with whatever makes you pf but I wouldn't spend my life trying to balance all the meds and side affects when o2 WORKS! Keep us posted...I'm interested...Jay

A few people have reported prednisone interrupting and "killing" a cycle. Not a very high percentage, but it does a very good job of putting it on hold for a short time while other, longer-term preventatives build to therapeutic levels in the blood serum.

Verapamil actually has quite a high success rate in reducing the number and severity of attacks. It worked like a charm for me (in combination with lithium) for many years. But it's not without its nasty side effects. Everything in the world of medicine is a trade off.

Sending, receiving, possessing and planting seeds is legal. Ingesting them is not.

Everybody has to come to the busting decision themselves. There are many factors to consider.

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 6:32am

Insomnia on Pred is more manageable if the dose is taken in the morning. I also take .5 mg Melatonin 30 min before bedtime. Generally works.

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #20 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 6:33am

Out of dozens of pred tapers I have taken over the years I have managed to break the cycle twice. Possible but I wouldnt count on it.

IP Logged

Jim L
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #21 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 10:16am

So, I'm at Day 5 at  80mg Prednisone and will start to taper tomorrow for the next week.  Hiccups not so bad.  Sleeplessness is bad.  Coincidence perhaps, but I've only had a couple of CH each of the last two days.  (I've been at 4-5/day for the last 6 weeks.).  We'll see.  I'm having Red Bull for breakfast!  Jim

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #22 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 10:31am

That's usually not a coincidence. Prednisone is pretty effective, short term.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #23 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 10:34am

Only other warning on prednisone is each time I'd go off of it my back would break out with acne like a 15 year old! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jim L
CH.com Sponsor

I Love CH.com!

Reply #24 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 11:42am

Holy crap!   Weight gain, jitters and sleeplessnes, maybe temporary relief.... Hmmmm....   My dr. has put me on two-week medical leave -- I'm trying to decide whether to spend the last weekend of that leave at the OUCH  conference.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!