Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bystolic - (Nebivolol) Beta Blocker (Read 11323 times)
Jon202
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bystolic - (Nebivolol) Beta Blocker
Jul 4th, 2010 at 2:52pm

Hi, I just want to share some great success I have had with a beta blocker called Bystolic - I am currently taking 5mg twice a day.

First a quick history about me:  Male, 42 years old - suffered episodic CH since age 20.  About two 4 to 6 week episodes per year in my 20's, once a year in my 30's. 

It's been two and a half years since my last cluster, and I really thought I was done with it - but then the beast came back four weeks ago - (possibly because of a very stressful week, ending with a 22 hour work day and bad sleep patterns - by you never really know what the final trigger is for sure  Sad )

I tried a Beta Blocker called Atenolol on my previous episode a couple of years a ago (which was one of the worst ones of my life) and it seemed to have a mildly helpful affect, but I can't be sure because I didn't start it until after the peak, about four weeks in.

This time around I had 10 days of 3 full blown CHs every 4 hours (mostly at night) which I abort with Imitrex - either two full 6ml doses, or broken down to about 4ml using the imitrex tip.

My doctor prescribed Bystolic - which he said was a fairly new Beta Blocker.

This was two weeks into my episode, which usually lasts five or six weeks.

24 hours after taking my first tablet, the CH's stopped.  I did have to deal with a day long headache (about 6/10) which I think was more of a rebound headache from all the imitrex I had been taking.  But after that no more CH. And I didn't need to take any more imitrex.

I have been CH free for two weeks since starting Bystolic.  The best part is having a good night sleep without waking up in agony.  I still feel a mild shadow in the mornings which goes away after an hour or so, but nothing that stops me from getting through my day. 

So far I have had no side effects.  If anything changes, or the CH comes back in the next few weeks, I will update this post.

Anyways, Bystolic seems to have worked for me. So if you are looking for another treatment option, you might want to give it a try.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Bystolic - (Nebivolol) Beta Blocker
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 12:02pm

At this point, I'm confused. I have on my desk two medical abstracts: one on your new med which says that it INCREASES nitric oxide (which beneficial for its primary purpose.)

The second abstract says that nitric oxide is involved in triggering CH and blocking its formation would be a useful treatment for CH.

Both abstracts were published about the same time.

But I'm not bright enough to resolve this apparent conflict..   ??????
===
But to answer your question: I can't find any mention of this new med in relation to treating CH.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2010 at 12:04pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2010 at 12:51pm

Bob the Nitrous Oxide effect is curious.
It may be that its in a cellular atachment state vs free flowing nitrous oxide in the blood stream.
I certainly dont know.
Verapamil to my understanding is one of the few Beta or calcium channel blockers that doesnt potentiate NO.
It does appear that the Nebivolol works in a more selective way than verap not blocking as many receptors in a blockade.

"•Nebivolol is a selective beta-1-blocker that also modulates nitric oxide release to produce vasodilation, thereby reducing total peripheral resistance"
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"In conclusion, dihydropyridine and benzothiazepine CCBs up-regulated eNOS expression and activity and enhanced NO generation in cultured human coronary artery endothelial cells. However, no such effects were observed with verapamil, which belongs to the phenylalkylamine class of L-type CCBs. The mechanism by which the former CCBs enhance eNOS expression in endothelial cells is presently uncertain and awaits investigation."
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Glad its helping you Jon.
Its allways interesting to see a new treatment option.

MJ

IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 11:24pm

Interesting, I have a somewhat similar story, yet with Metoprolol. I was given it for an episode of Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). Which is a rapid rhythm of the heart which involves an accessory pathway.

I was in to my 3rd week of a Cluster, and never had one since being given Metoprolol. I know its has to be given to me very slowly and at 3 increasing doses, while being monitored by a Dr. In other words its a serious drug and shouldn't be experimented with for sure.

I have a surgery coming up, so I probably wont need any of it, but I will ask my Cardiologist about taking it for CH's, next I see her.

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2010 at 11:26pm by PlayDoh »  

As strong and tough as CH's are, I AM STRONGER!

IP Logged

Grafwick
CH.com Newbie

Love truly and forgive
quickly

x1|Akron|USA|usa|421|125|OH,Ohio
Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2010 at 3:41am

My heart doctor recently prescribed Metoprolol to smooth an irregular heartbeat and hopes it will also prevent CH (I'm well into a 12 week cycle). Verapamil and prednisone have been the most effective PM's for me so far with caffine/ergotomine as a pain reliever. As beta-blockers (metoprolol) are like a third tier PM vs verapmamil as a first tier, I'm holding off on the Metoprolol until out of my cluster period.

IP Logged

Wonder Woman
CH.com Newbie

Able to will brain energy
into muscles and limbs

Atlanta
Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 10:19pm

I never even thought of the Bystolic.!!
Even though my headaches are a kinder milder version of CH -SUNCT--in May --I had a change from Lisinopril to Bystolic. I have been headache free --from that time on.Mmmmm something to think about.
Wonder Woman

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2010 at 8:29am

An interesting class of meds for CH! I just looked at PubMed and found only 31 hits dating from 2007 (latest) to the early 1980s on beta blockers for CH.

What this suggests is that there is a high random factor in whether any specific BB works for an equally unpredictable population. I just have this vague memory ref. CH treatments, covering the last 30+ years, of single reports of a new BB for CH and then the name disappears in a few months.

For you young squirts who complain about medicine/docs for CH--we are in a dream land compared to where those who are 60+ had it in their "youth"!

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Wonder Woman
CH.com Newbie

Able to will brain energy
into muscles and limbs

Atlanta
Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:55pm

I wanted to add a personal experience update to the use of Bystolic.
I have been on verapamil and lamictial since 08 for PM for chronic SUNCT. With success. Some shadows and occasional minimal breakthru. Love my Redbull.
I also have high blood pressure. Lisinopril was used to regulate this. May 2010 I experienced anaphylaxis reaction to lisinopril. Was prescribed Bystolic and continued with verapamil.
From May of 2010 untill January 2012 I have been HA free.
In October of 2011 I stopped Lamictal
On December 17 my (new)doc took me off Bystolic and replaced it with losartin.
I started HA January 4. Increasing in pain and frequency.
Off to the Doc.
Started Bystolic January 12. Immediate decrease in HA pain and frequency.
January 19 seven days later. 4 mild HA short duration. Two triggered by doing situps Roll Eyes( I can avoid those to be pain free.)
So my assumption ( Smiley ) is the Bystolic is controlling the HA.

My doc aint to happy with the use of Bystolic and verapamil. It can cause some problems like heartblock used together. I am considering eliminating the verapamil. My pulse is staying in the low 50.s. But am concerned I will set the whole thing in motion again. Undecided

Bob and MJ I have read your reports about the difference in verapamil and bystolic working, but not sure I understand it all. Working on that Tongue  Thanks for helping us to understand whats happening in our bodies.

Reading the many posts of people with CH makes me very thankful I only have the itty bitty version. I do have a fear of SUNCT morphing into full blown clusters. But if that does ever happen, it is reassuring that this wonderful resource at clusterheadaches.com is available.

Wonder Woman
All of this because of change of insurance resulting in change of Dr.  Angry
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2012 at 12:57pm by Wonder Woman »  

IP Logged

General_Cluster
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0||||||
Reply #8 - May 7th, 2016 at 7:55pm

I had episodic clusters that were mostly in the winter at first, then later switched to 4-5 weeks in Spring followed by a brief reprieve and then late June...BAM! nasty bad for 8-12 weeks, up to 7 bads in 24 hours and not just during the night, but at work, etc.  I was put on Bystolic 5 mg daily in the Spring of 2015 and it seemed to reduce my Spring clusters. So 4th of July comes along and all I have is shadows here and there when I expected to be peaking into the nasty zone. Now this Spring I have had a couple shadows and only used Imitrex IM once (probably missed 2 days of bystolic on a trip out of town without meds with me). OK now I'm fully compliant and nothing but a couple shadows since the last Imitrex. If I can make it through the Summer (again) without using Imitrex then I am a believer.  I use to have to take 1200 mg of verapamil per 24 hours to get out of a cluster phase but I got into problems with "Accelerated junctional rhythm" so I had to stop it.  My Imitrex stock pile is growing cuz I get it autoshipped every month and some of it is even going to expire soon and that NEVER happened before.  I would run out of my 'quota' and have to pay cash. Sorry to ramble but if my clusters come back enough to use Imitrex again I will try Bystolic 5 mg twice a day before I do anything else (and hope my heart can handle it). I really don't have an opinion on the nitric oxide angle but I'm curious if anyone knows how mushrooms affect nitric oxide??

IP Logged

edwardhoward
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 6:11am

I have been taking Bystolic10 mg for 2 years with no side effects. Before that I tried some non beta blocker meds and had all sorts of problems. This is a great medication. If you experience problems sleeping or dreams a lot at night, take it a little earlier in the afternoon. I take it at 5 pm and I sleep just fine now. You can know more here internationaldrugmart.com/bystolic.html

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!