Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ice Pack Below Sturnum and 15 minutes (Read 6728 times)
Denver Mike
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Ice Pack Below Sturnum and 15 minutes
Jul 6th, 2010 at 1:03am

Hello.  I'm new to the board and an eposodic sufferer.  I get clusters every couple of years for about 6 weeks.  Each episode happened at the same time every day and lasted anywhere from 10 minutes to several hours.  Previously, I had tried prednisone tapers and that seemed to work somewhat.  However, one beer and I was a goner.

I was out one night when the headache hit.  I ran into an acquaintence who happened to be a neurosurgeon.  He waived it off and said "put an ice pack on your skin below your sternum/rib cage a little to the left and it will go away".  Something about a nerve or blood vessel that leads from your mid-section up to your eye area

I tried it.  The headache went away within a few minutes.  When another started the next time, I did it again and it went away.   The cycle then broke and I didn't have one again.  That was two years ago.   I had a big one the other night and tried the ice pack again.  Again it was gone within 10-15 minutes.  When another started the next night, I did the same thing- it went away.  Haven't had one since.

I haven't searched these threads extensively to see if this was suggessted.  Just wanted to share this.  I know very well that there is no greater relief then when a cluster dissapates.   So, I hope this helps you too.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Ice Pack Below Sturnum and 15 minutes
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 4:15am

Glad you found something that works for you.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 6:54am

Brew wrote on Jul 6th, 2010 at 4:15am:
Glad you found something that works for you.

Ditto.

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 8:29am

Yup, glad something is working for you, but....I'll take the risk and say I'm skeptical. Some have tried the head in the freezer/AC thing (I have to no good effect) but ain't heard of this one. If and when it fails to abort, let us know what you're trying next. Blessings! lance

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 12:36pm

I'm just going to suggest that, as the title of the thread states, it's an ice pack AND 15 minutes.

What's the true cause of the abort? Impossible to say because there's more than one variable: the cooling of some nerve that reportedly runs from the sternum to the trigeminal AND the passage of 15 minutes.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 4:12pm

Mike- I'll give it go and report back. Oxygen takes about 5-10 minutes for me and Imitrex is, on par, faster than that. If I'm away from both it would be nice to have another option.

Scott

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 9:02pm

I find this one to be interesting - starting to eye it for my file of various things people have reported that I might try on a future episode.

Thanks for the report.

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2010 at 9:03pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Denver Mike
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 11:30pm

No prob.  Anything to contribute.

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2010 at 1:38pm

where is it supposed to be put?
you mean just a bit under the heart spot?

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 2:29pm

black, from his description it seems you find your solar plexis (that really soft spot where you ribs and stomach join and it hurts like anything when you get hit there) and somewhat to the left, about 6-8 inches below the heart. That's what I got from his description, anyway. Let us know if you try it and if it works for you. lance

IP Logged

Denver Mike
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 7:34pm

Just an update.  Had an attack last night while at the bar.  (a couple of drinks in) Brought a baggie with me just in case.  Ordered glass of ice.  Put baggie under my shirt and pinned against the bar.  Went away after a few minutes.  Pain never got above a 4 or 5.  Continued my evening.  Beat the hell out of having to call it a night to go home and cry.

Placement was exactly as wimsey described.

IP Logged

AgentOrange
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 9:22pm

CURIOUS - ARE YOU A LEFT SIDED SUFFERER?

WHAT ABOUT THE RIGHT SIDED SUFFERERS?

PLACE ICE PACK SAME PLACE OR ON THE RIGHT?

AO
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2010 at 9:22pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 10:08pm

nope.doesn't work for me.
but since ice packs are there in the fridge
maybe i ll give it a try a few more times just to be sure.

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Denver Mike
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 12:00am

Quote:
CURIOUS - ARE YOU A LEFT SIDED SUFFERER?

WHAT ABOUT THE RIGHT SIDED SUFFERERS?

PLACE ICE PACK SAME PLACE OR ON THE RIGHT?

AO

Right side sufferer here.  Placed it off center to the left.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 8:12am

Why would anyone even think of drinking alcohol during a cluster cycle!  That's just plain dumb!

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Denver Mike
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 10:36pm

Bob P wrote on Jul 16th, 2010 at 8:12am:
Why would anyone even think of drinking alcohol during a cluster cycle!  That's just plain dumb!

Perhaps...but it sucks to stay home for 6 weeks.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 12:17pm

Denver Mike wrote on Jul 21st, 2010 at 10:36pm:
Perhaps...but it sucks to stay home for 6 weeks.

So, whenever you leave home you have to consume alcohol? That borders on problematic, man.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #17 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 8:22am

Yeah, what you said, Brew. And I'm still waiting to hear if this magic bullet has worked for anyone else? Personally, I think its either a load of crap, or dude don't have cluster headaches. Just my 2 cents and worth much less than that. lance

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #18 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:56am

batch has told me that placing an ice cube on the top of your head makes your brain think that your body is freezing causing your capillaries to constrict thus taking pressure from the trigeminal nerve.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #19 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 7:51am

-johnny- wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:56am:
batch has told me that placing an ice cube on the top of your head makes your brain think that your body is freezing causing your capillaries to constrict thus taking pressure from the trigeminal nerve.   

Interesting...sorta like sticking your head in the freezer or plastering your nose to the A/C. Any luck with that? Cold actually hurts me more but has been effective for others. lance

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #20 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 10:40am

wimsey1 wrote on Jul 24th, 2010 at 7:51am:
-johnny- wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:56am:

Interesting...sorta like sticking your head in the freezer or plastering your nose to the A/C. Any luck with that? Cold actually hurts me more but has been effective for others. lance

i can work outside in the cold all day in the peak of a cycle and not get hit. 15 minutes after i come inside i get hit

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #21 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:54am

I'm an equal opportunity employer of the beast: hot, cold, rest, exertion, no rest...it don't matter. I do know I have some really effective ways of waking up the beast so I try to avoid those-alcohol-I never drank much but with these I can't drink at all. Actually, for me, cold never helped. It only made my head hurt worse. I remember a time in FL when I was new to this and I heard about the freezer trick. I spent 20 minutes with my head stuck in the door (not literally) and I nearly got frostbit and was still on KIP8 rager. But I am glad it works for some. lance

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #22 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 6:57pm

Shaggy likes the cold during his cycle.  Got hit once at the end of my work day, loaded my truck and piled my crew in to the cab.  By the time I got back into town my crew was freezing/frozen and I was still sweating.  Wouldn't let anyone touch the air conditioner.  Ice cubes on my chest or head or whatever?  yes please! Cheesy

--Shaggy Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!