Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
104º F (40º C) + 2 Margaritas/Day = No Hits 1 Wk (Read 2797 times)
Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
104º F (40º C) + 2 Margaritas/Day = No Hits 1 Wk
Jul 8th, 2010 at 5:22pm

Some of you have followed my posts on the effects of a low arterial pH on cluster headaches.  The data I've collected indicate a direct correlation between a low arterial pH and an increase in the frequency and intensity of my cluster headaches.  I've found that every time I go into a high cycle (3 to 4 hits a day), my saliva pH is lower than my daily average during a low cycle (3 to 4 hits a week).

If you followed these posts, you've also read where I use calcium citrate tablets with vitamin D, magnesium and zinc washed down with a couple glasses of homemade lemonade to elevate my arterial pH back up and push me back into a low cycle.

Alcohol (ETOH) is normally not a trigger for me and even if it was, I've got high flow rate oxygen inhalation therapy at the ready so I'll be darned if I'm going to let the beast deprive me of my nightly libation of rum & diet coke. 

Having said that, under low arterial pH conditions there can be an up-tic in the frequency of my cluster headaches, but these usually occur several hours after the libations, hitting most often during sleep.

With over a week of 95º degree plus temperatures (104º Monday through Wednesday), a couple of Joyce's superb Margaritas with dinner have been the libation of choice.

Now for the kicker…  I've had no (zero) hits after a week of two margaritas a day…

I'm inclined to attribute the complete absence of cluster headaches to the limejuice and citric acid additive used in José Cuervo Margarita mix. 

I've been in a low cycle for the last two months and haven't been taking the mineral supplements, so the only other possible contributing factor might be the extra vitamin D3 my skin generates from a couple hours of ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation from direct sun while watering the garden and lawn. 

As the skin produces approximately 10,000 IU of vitamin D in response 20–30 minutes summer sun exposure (50 times more than the US government's recommendation of 200 IU per day), I figure I'm generating 30,000 to 40,000 IU of Vitamin D3.

Whatever the reason…  2 margarita's a day, 2 hours direct sun light a day, or both…  I'm loving it.  Cheesy

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2010 at 9:47am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

donna mae
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Bolingbrook, Il
Re: 104º F (40º C) + 2 Margaritas/Day = No Hits 1 Wk
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 5:49pm

Good for you Pete! Enjoy those Marguairitas and the wonderful sunshine. So glad to hear you are in PF time and enjoying life.

Thanks for sharing!  Smiley

Donna Mae

P.S. I've started a lemonade daily regiment along with Calcium citrate w/D. What mg Zinc and Magnesium do you recommend?

Donna Haynes junebug57  
IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 8:12pm

WOW... Great for you batch.
  10,000 iu of d....I must be wayyyy over that
lol.......im in my garden a lot.
   keep us posted about ya

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 9:37pm

i get the sun too and extra vitamin D3 pills 5000 iu everyday but hits still coming on.

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Dennis
CH.com Junior

People's Republic of Mass.
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 10:06pm

Hi Batch,

Congratulations on your success with this regimen.  I find your results very interesting. 

I just have one question:  Why use the lemonade with the citric acid, if the goal is to raise arterial pH?  Usually citrate buffer solutions are used in a pH range of 3.0 to 6.0. 

Thanks for sharing your progress, and for all your excellent info on Oxygen as well.

Dennis

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 11:38pm

GReat news, my friend!  May it never end.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 2:45am

Donna Mae,

I take the Kirkland™ brand calcium citrate tablets that also contain vitamin D, magnesium and zinc all in one tablet.  I get them at Costco...  If you can't get to Costco, you can get the same basic formula by taking Citracal Plus Bone Density Builder™ tablets.  Most food stores carry them.

Dennis, you're quite correct and your chemistry is spot on.  The calcium citrate mineral supplements combined with the citric acid in lemonade (and lime juice) act as a buffer on the stomach's gastric juices (hydrochloric acid) that have a normal pH range of 1 to 2.5.  That's a very acidic solution... 

The calcium citrate and lemonade (citric acid) combination acts as a buffer on the stomach contents and elevates it up to a pH of 4.0 and maintains this pH level for up to 5 hours.  That's still acidic but no where near the normal level of stomach content acidity.  See the link at:  bja.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/77/5/642.pdf for more details.

Under normal conditions, the small intestine requires the stomach contents (chyme) to be pH neutral (7.4) so chemo receptors in the upper part of the small intestine signal the pancreas to dump a bicarbonate solution into the small intestine to neutralize the acidity and elevate the chyme up to pH 7.4.  If you want more information on this process, see the following link at:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The trick here is the stomach effluents (chyme) that have been buffered up to a pH of 4.0 still look acidic to the chemo receptors in the small intestine.  When the pancreas dumps in the same amount of bicarbonate to elevate the chyme's pH of 1 to 2.5, there's an overshoot...  and the contents of the small intestine are pushed above a pH of 7.4 making the chyme in the small intestine more alkaline.

Here's the payoff...  As the arteries and capillaries in the small intestine pull nutrients from its contents...  and the contents have an elevated pH above 7.4 by virtue of the pancreatic reaction to the mineral supplements and citric acid buffer, the pH of the bloodstream elevates to more alkaline levels above a pH of 7.4 and this sets off another chain reaction.

The body regulates arterial pH through a number of homeostatic processes...  When it senses the elevated pH >7.4, it interprets this as not enough carbon dioxide.  As a first and most rapid reaction, the elevated pH triggers a reduction in the respiration rate and vasoconstriction to slow the loss of CO2 from the lungs.  This happens in a matter of a few minutes and with a little luck, the vasoconstriction resulting from the mineral supplement and lemonade buffer, prevents the cluster headache triggering mechanism from triggering an attack. 

The second reaction to the elevated arterial pH takes much longer (several hours) as the kidneys start retaining the H+ ion and slowing its passing into the urine to increase the acidity of the bloodstream back towards the neutral pH of 7.4.  If you want to read more on homeostasis and blood pH see the following link at:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The bottom line is better living through chemistry...  and a couple margaritas a day can keep the beast away... Cheesy

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Dennis
CH.com Junior

People's Republic of Mass.
Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:46pm

Batch,

It is stunning how thoroughly you have researched this.  Bravo Zulu!

Thanks very much for indulging my curiosity with all the details in your last post. 

I have completely halted my attacks for the last few days with a Lithium/Verapamil cocktail, and I suppose I'll give it a couple more weeks and try tapering off.

I detest the side effects of this stuff, so I am inclined to just load up the oxygen tanks and give your preventive regimen a try next time.

After 35 years of clusters, I'm certain that I'll have that opportunity.

Thanks again for your contributions to the good fight.

Dennis

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 8:32am

Let me add my congratulations, Batch, and may all of our days and nights be pf. Enjoy the margaritas while, and for as long as, you can! lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!