Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen masks - is the bag essential? (Read 1312 times)
Cittenscollar
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Oxygen masks - is the bag essential?
Jul 14th, 2010 at 6:22pm

I've been prescribed oxygen and my mask arrived today - with no bag attached. The company said that a bag isn't needed or would make the oxygen not work for the cluster headache.

The company doesn't seem very well informed on cluster headaches in the first place, so I wanted to check here. Should I fight with the company to get a mask with a bag, or will it work fine?

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Re: Oxygen masks - is the bag essential?
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 6:42pm

O2 works better with non-rebreather mask for CH.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 7:03pm

For 02 to work, your lungs must get only 100% pure oxygen. No outside air, no exhaled air. The bag stores a bunch of 02 as the regulator hisses away, you take a big breath of pure 02 outta the bag, and when you exhale the flapper valve lets the air out as your bag refills...that's the system.

Try your mask and see if it helps but I suspect it will not. If it does not work, make your own mask. Take a one gallon ziplok bag. Cut a teeny hole in the bottom and run your 02 line into it. Tape it up air tight. Cut a hole in the top, put in a toilet paper cardboard tube or a paper towel tube, tape it up tight. You are now the proud owner of a non re breather mask. Let the bag fill, inhale out of it and cover the tube, exhale and repeat.

Go to the general board, near the top it says optimasks now available, order one of those if your doc's won't help you out.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 8:46am

That supply company doesn't no squat about CH.
You must have the bag for it to properly work.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 10:14am

I've been on at least two cycles with O2 and no bag. So its not essential. But in those cases I taped up the mask so I wasn't breathing in an air from outside of the mask, and lifted the mask when exhaling so that no CO2 would stay in the mask. The bag clearly makes it easier.

IP Logged

Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 10:15am

I've been on at least two cycles with O2 and no bag. So its not essential. But in those cases I taped up the mask so I wasn't breathing in an air from outside of the mask, and lifted the mask when exhaling so that no CO2 would stay in the mask. The bag clearly makes it easier.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 10:30pm

For someone like me who has taken a cue from some of the power O2 users here and hyperventilates O2, a BIG  trash bag sized bag attached to the mask is necessary!

It took me some experimentation to get the 'ol big bag action rigged up and working right, but I'm kinda dumb when it comes to that sort of stuff.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!