Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Near Fort Polk, Louisiana (Read 1302 times)
MrKelite
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

DeRidder, Louisiana
Near Fort Polk, Louisiana
Jul 30th, 2010 at 6:36am

Hello, my name is Robert and I have been a CH sufferer since early 2004.  It struck like a lightning bolt one sunny afternoon (thought I was gonna die), and has not stopped since.  I get them every day (sometimes several times) but mostly at night.  I don't remember a good night's sleep anymore.  The current treatment I have been sticking with these past few years is O2 (15-28); Ice, Ice, Ice... ; Ergotamine; and DHE-45 injections.  Currently I have been using a Lidocane nasal spray as an added abortive which seems to be working fairly well.  I have been through the gambit of most drugs prescribed by several doc's (neurologists), and had been recommended by a neurosurgeon as a prime candidate for the deep brain stimulator implant (too bad my insurance won't pay for though).

Would like to have contact with someone in my AO to compare notes with.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Re: Near Fort Polk, Louisiana
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 10:19am

Hey there, welcome aboard.  You might want to post an intro in the "Getting to know you" section.  You will get a much better reception.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Near Fort Polk, Louisiana
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:46am

Welcome to the board! Careful with that deep brain implant stuff......still in the way early stages, potential side effects include strokes, aneurysms, and death! Shocked Neurosurgeons are notorious for suggesting surgery cuz....well..it's just what they do! Surgical intervention is a last option when all others have been exhausted. Your current treatment regimen is very similar to what mine was...in 1984. I'm serious, cafergot, lidocaine.....

You need an effective prevent. A med you take daily to reduce the number and intensity of your attacks. Verapamil is the most common first line prevent, at dosing much higher the when it's used for BP issues. Lithium is my prevent, popular with many, topomax also has a loyal following. Lithium will block 60-70% of my attacks. Melatonin, an OTC sleeping aid is helpful for many to prevent night time attacks.

Abortives. Read the oxygen info link on the left. Should be your first line abortive. I can stop an attack in its tracks in 6-8 minutes using 02, beats the 90 minute rides I used to endure. Imitrex injectables are awesome when I'm caught away from my oxygen.

Your regimen speaks of a doctor extremely under educated on CH. This is a recipe for a boatlaod of pain for you. Find a neurologist who specializes in headaches, or a GP who will listen to you and get you oxygen. Not prescribing 02 to a CH patient is absolutely inexcuseable.

Please post an intro on the getting to know you board as more people will view and respond, might be able to find you a competent doc in your area. CH sucks, it REALLY sucks with a doc who treats you like it's still 1984! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!