Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do I know what he wants (Read 4425 times)
Snowfie20
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

How do I know what he wants
Aug 26th, 2010 at 7:38am

Hi there

Thankyou for all the support and answers that I have read on this website. Smiley I am a very recent supporter and my new boyfriend suffers Chronic CH. I have learnt alot about all the treatments and abortives from all of you. (Thankyou).

The only thing I am struggling to figure out is how do I know if my partner wants me near him during an attack or to leave him alone. I have asked him many of times and everytime the answer is different. He is on oxygen n various tablets and sometimes he likes to pace the room. He wont speak much during an attack due to the pain so I cant ask him at the time of the attack.

I worry so much that I am not doing enough to comfort him and I feel so helpless.

I work at a hospital and have two sides to me, my proffesional head that can help him without getting emotional. Then my girlfriend head that just wants to break down n cry when I see him in such pain. Cry

Any advise woud be greatly appreciated.

Snowfie xxxx

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Re: How do I know what he wants
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 1:36pm

Here is my short answer, as my wife and I both suffer, we actually met through here.

When either of us is getting hit, we usually like to be alone but will sneak a peek in on each other so as to insure we are not hurting ourselves.  And when it's getting near the end, bring in a glass of ice water and walk away.  Trying to ask some one what they need during a hit is usually not good.  Just make sure the O2 is available, maybe switch tanks out for them if one goes empty, make sure imitrex/zomig/whatever you may use is there.  Otherwise it's best to just not be around, some of us still feel embarassed to have some one see us in the midst of an attack.  Good luck to you both and it's nice to see that you are concerned enough to be here.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 11:53pm

Hi and welcome!

He's a lucky guy to have you on his side.  Personally I want to be left well alone during a hit - the last thing I would want would be someone talking to me, but then I usually wake in the night with it and I'm not amused!!!!  Having said that everyone is different.  I guess best to talk about it with him during his pain free time.

Wish you all the best!!  Glad you found us  Smiley

Kate

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 10:32am

Kate in Oz wrote on Aug 26th, 2010 at 11:53pm:
  I guess best to talk about it with him during his pain free time.

Kate

100% ditto.  That is the only time to engage in conversation with a CHer.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 5:25pm

Agostino Leyre wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 10:32am:
Kate in Oz wrote on Aug 26th, 2010 at 11:53pm:
  I guess best to talk about it with him during his pain free time.

Kate

100% ditto.  That is the only time to engage in conversation with a CHer.

I'd also avoid the time just before and after the normal times the beast arrives. For myself, I know that just before I get a bit irritable and just after a CH I'm normally feeling not quite on top form especially after a Kip 9 / 10.

IP Logged

mmm3bbb
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|San Francisco|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 5:39pm

I'd also vote to leave him alone, otherwise he'll feel obligated to tell you he doesn't need anything and maybe even feel a little guilty (I'm projecting here) - neither of these help his pain.  My guess is that he'll tell if you if he needs anything.

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 5:58pm

Stay within hearing distance in case he needs you during an attack and yes, tell him you want to be there for him, but only if he wants you to be.

I do my crying and grumbling out on the patio - away from my sufferer.  He's got enough on his plate without worrying about me.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 6:21pm

When I hear the oxygen going (or when I realize I can't find Joe while he's in cycle and go looking for him in his usual hiding places) I make sure he has a redbull, and I get the icepack out of the freezer. Hey may or may not want that stuff, but I'll put them in reach.

Other than that, like Pat said I leave the room, either go in the other room or outside. He doesn't want people around worrying or fussing over him. He'll come find me when he's over it, or  he might go take a nap.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 6:30pm

Wait for when he is NOT having an attack to talk to him.  Rarely is there anyone who doesn't ask/need to be alone.  I ask my husband to start the coffee as soon as I feel one coming on.  He brings it to me with an ice cube in it so I can gulp it fast.  If I know my 02 tank is almost gone I scream for him to set up the next one.  After that he leaves me alone...with the door ajar like others have said so he can hear if it gets bad and I start to do some serious damage to the drywall.   Oh and my skull too. 

One other thing that supporters do is crucial:  When we are out in public...steering  us to the safety of the car or somewhere that no one will see us is more important than I can tell you.  Getting hit in public is one of our worst fears.  I've had the Police called on me and my husband totally took care of it.  I'd have married him for that reason alone.

ANYONE trying to talk to me when I need to focus and bang my head is going to get a black eye or something thrown at them.  Nothing personal...just leave me alone til it's over. 

Afterwards he'll rub my neck and shoulders due to the tenseness.

We who have this condition hold our supporters in very high esteem.  You guys are worth your weight in GOLD.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 8:25pm

Linda brought up a salient point, running interference for sufferers.  I forget about it because it's second nature to me. 

Anywhere we go I look for "safe havens", cool, quiet, etc., just in case. 

I have the canned responses at the ready "no we don't need any help and thanks for offering . . .  no, we don't need an ambulance . . . . no, he's not having a stroke," etc. etc.  I know how far away the e-tank in the car is, and usually how full it is.

It's just second nature after all these years (and thank you Linda, for saying we're worth gold - that's very sweet). Kiss

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 10:17pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 6:30pm:
One other thing that supporters do is crucial:  When we are out in public...steering  us to the safety of the car or somewhere that no one will see us is more important than I can tell you.  Getting hit in public is one of our worst fears.  I've had the Police called on me and my husband totally took care of it.  I'd have married him for that reason alone.

I Couldn't Agree More!!

I had a stores employees asking their manager if they should call security on me during a hit. At the time I had no one with me to run interference so as quickly as I possibly could paid for my items holding my head the whole time and speed walked to my car where I'd left my imitrex.  I sat in the car after taking my shot tears streaming and rocking back and forth while passersby stared at me.  The looks we get from people are at times mortifying and only serve to deepen the embarrassment.

The other time was in a pharmacy but most have already seen/heard about that one.

In any case having someone to aid/protect/guard/guide you when out in public with a CH hit is always a kindness that most often one feels can never be repaid. 

Don't worry too much, when your CH'er needs you he/she will find you or make damn sure you find them.  Putting items that may be needed close to them is always helpful even if they don't need or use the items.  Seeing them there when the Hit is over lets them know you care and are there for them.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Snowfie20
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 7:59am

Thanks for all the suggestions people they have been noted and tested.

I have spoken to my boyfriend whilst not having an attack n think I/We have come to an understanding of when he needs me n when he wants to be alone.

You guys are amazing!!

Thankyou Snowfie xx Grin

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 8:08am

Thank YOU for hanging in there! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jewelz
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 6:29pm

In my BF's case, every time is different.  Sometimes he wants me to rub his forehead or back, sometimes he wants to talk about the pain (he feels comfort in being able to express it), sometimes he wants to be alone.  We don't live together so some nights I get phone calls when he wants to talk about it, other nights he suffers alone.  Since I can never know what he needs in the moment, we talked about it when he was pain free.  I told him he could swear and give orders if he needed to, that it wouldn't hurt my feelings.  I told him he can come to me for comfort or walk away if he'd prefer.  Now if he gets hit when I'm around, I sit within earshot and pray silently.  If he needs me he'll call me or come to me, if he needs something I can get it.  Once he got a 10 when we were hosting poker night.  Keeping our guests comfortable and looking after him and his needs at the same time was difficult but crucial, and I know he thought I was an angel for handling it all.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 10:16pm

If he isn't happy about swearing when in pain, explain how it has been shown in studies to reduce pain.

This was covered in a lot of news stories about a year ago, with an example being - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

The referenced article is:

Stephens, R., Atkins, J., Kingston, A. (2009). Swearing as a response to pain. NeuroReport. 20(12):1056-1060. DOI: 10.1097/WNR.0b013e32832e64b1

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!