Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AHHHHHHHHH the BEAST!!!! (Read 6815 times)
Daniel Cook
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

AHHHHHHHHH the BEAST!!!!
Sep 3rd, 2010 at 1:59am

Again (5 weeks in to a cycle no sleep at all) just got woken up by the beast i was asleep for 20 minutes so peaceful then BAM . im typing this messaging taking gulps of oxygen and just did a nasal shot... i should pass out again soon... most like i will awaken with the beast on my should chilling relaxing,,,,early morning wake up call!
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2010 at 2:00am by Daniel Cook »  

IP Logged

Daniel Cook
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: AHHHHHHHHH the BEAST!!!!
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 2:05am

the beast is such a lurker i hate his GUTS!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register lurker_color_ink_book_skinner1-550x.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 7:55am

Daniel,do you use Melatonin,in a matter of less than a week I have taken my hits from a K7/8 to a K1/2 and slept like a baby last night.I only get one hit a day at 10:30 pm 1 hour after falling to sleep.I take 10mg 1 hour before bed.

TRY IT..

Good Luck...

IT'S JUST A HEADACHE,TAKE TWO ASPRIN AND GO TO BED!!!

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 8:31am

If the Melatonin doesn't work, you can try an over the counter allergy pill such as cetirizine (zyrtec) taken 1 hour before sleep can also help keep the night time beast at bay.

Hope you get some sleep soon and some much needed PF time!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 10:06am

The prick can become an unwelcome lurking guest pretty quick! Angry

You haven't mentioned any prevents, do you take a daily med while in cycle to reduce hits? I use lithium at 1200 mg a day, Verapamil is a common first line prevent, Topomax also hekps many. Might be worth a try.

And as others have mentioned, do look into Melatonin, start with 9-12 mg 30 minutes before bed time, helps many avoid those damned wake up calls.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Daniel Cook
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 10:13am

im only on divalproex! which is garbage and doesnt work! i have my appointment today at 1pm with the neurologist she better give me what i need i printed out several things from the website and ouch site as well!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 10:20am

Good man! The more educated you are, the better off you'll be! Wishing you luck with the neuro.

Joe

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 11:15am

Regular use of triptans can cause nasty rebounds. You might want to consider backing off of them - abort with O2 alone if you can. It will be worse at first, but I'd bet money that it will get better eventually.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 11:35am

Brew wrote on Sep 3rd, 2010 at 11:15am:
Regular use of triptans can cause nasty rebounds. You might want to consider backing off of them - abort with O2 alone if you can. It will be worse at first, but I'd bet money that it will get better eventually.

Indeed.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Daniel Cook
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 12:38pm

Trust me i HATE using triptan i know they are causing me worse rebounds however i work in a computer infested env, so no O2 allowed here i already asked and its against policy? odd, anyways i constantly use the o2 when im at home and i notice it is helping but it doesnt usually help during the night when the beast lurks from his shadows....

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 12:56pm

Yeah the night ones can be a lot tougher....by the time I'd wake up beasty already has a strong toe hold. Angry

Joe

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 2:26pm

Next best thing: Look into getting some melatonin for night hits. If that doesn't work (and you need to give it a good week or more before you write it off), ask your doc for a longer-acting triptan to take right before bed. Something like Amerge or Frova. Both of them have bought many-a-clusterhead 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Quite ironic that sleep is both the most elusive thing AND the most needed thing for CH'ers.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 4:35pm

you mentioned that you can't have o2 at work because of the computers. Not sure the relationship, but can you keep the tank in your car and go outside when you are getting hit? The o2 helps most abort in 10-15 minutes so you wouldn't be away that long.

Just a thought.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 6:29pm

If he is working in a computer data centre then it's unlikely they will allow oxygen tanks in the building as places like this try to minimise as far as possible the presence of anything flammable.

However for most places there should be no issues with oxygen tanks.

IP Logged

Daniel Cook
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 12:55pm

hi all! just wanted to give you all an update on my status! Well the neurologist was great she was there for more moral support, additionally she upped my meds of divalprorex to 1000MG which is a common treatment for clusters over here? i did bring up other medications but she said this identical to verpamil but  less side effects.

She did give me something finally to help me sleep at nice since i wasn't able to get a good night sleep which is so important when having a cluster cycle and recovering,,,, and now i have gone 2 days completely with no clusters some small tiny headaches which i can deal with easily

I did want to let you guys know something i did which may or may not have contributed to my recovery. My gf is Chinese shes from BF and we have been together for 5 years. Yesterday i figured i had nothing to lose and went to a Chinese doctor paid 20 dollars didn't tell him anything what was wrong with me and he was able to tell me that my head was in constant pain, etc etc... not really cycle related and he wasn't able to pin point that i cluster headaches but he was almost right on it.

He gave me a prescription for chinese medicine, which included kudzu, i even saw dead scorpions in there? it came in 3 bags 1 for each day drink twice a day... im letting you know right now it was the most disgusting thing EVER. But i honestly believe its helping! Last night was the first night i woke up with out a headache and it was awesome...... it wasnt because of the double dose of valporic acid because i started that 4 days before i even saw the neurologist which i researched on another site and she just agreed with me.

Just wanted to share my experiences? its worth a shot? i'm not sure how many people here have the ability to see a chinese herbal docto but it was my last choice as my nerologists alternative was to schedule me off 7 days from work and do oxygen plus dhe for 7 days straight to break my cycle if this didnt fix its self by next saturday.

I still have the prescription, i am more the willing to scan it and you can take it to any chinese herbal store and they will make it for you. it was expensive for 3 days around 80 CDN dollars. but since its herbal anyone can use it...

i am not suggesting it for everyone... i just was exploring all my opportunities out there as was getting extremely frustrated by not getting any results!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 5:33pm

Divalproex is a brand name for depakote, and it's not the same as verapamil. The chemical mechanisms are quite different.

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #16 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 6:09pm

Mike NZ wrote on Sep 3rd, 2010 at 6:29pm:
If he is working in a computer data centre then it's unlikely they will allow oxygen tanks in the building as places like this try to minimise as far as possible the presence of anything flammable.

Just FYI, Oxygen is not flammable.  It's a catalyst, causing already ignited sources to burn faster and stronger.

If O2 was flammable, the air around us would be on fire.

And re Kudzu - lots of people buy it here - you could probably get it by itself in pill form and leave out the dead insects and such.  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2010 at 6:09pm by Mosaicwench »  

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #17 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 3:54pm

We could be low on the dead stuff too who knows?

IP Logged

Beth E
CH.com Junior

Thanks for understanding
CH.com!

Union City (Erie)  PA
Reply #18 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 3:22pm

Kudzu comes in a tablet form also. Check on line. My CH husband was told to take two tabs daily and see if it helped any.  He was on so many meds, he really didn't take them like he should.  So can't tell you anything more.  Can't hurt to try I guess.

No longer Helpless now!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!