Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Getting Oxygen in New Zealand (Read 27624 times)
Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Getting Oxygen in New Zealand
Reply #50 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 1:48am

Great post to read showing how you've well and truly taken control to get things progressing for you.

The D3 test isn't publically funded, so whilst your GP can do the form for you, you'll need to pay about $40(ish). The last time I did this was at Labtests, which are all over the Auckland area.

Feeling some trepidation when taking the last prednisione tablet isn't unusual, lots of people here report the same.

The full D3 info is at - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

The difference between the BOC mask and the one from here is like comparing food from McDonalds to a top restaurant. But hoping that all it does is to gather dust.

The MRI is to rule out other possible causes of the same symptoms. For probably 98+% of people who have reported back here, it shows nothing at all abnormal, but for some there has been a different cause of the symptoms including brain tumors, aneurysms and eye infections plus others. So it is good to rule things out (I agree about you getting some return from many years of taxes if you're not in Southern Cross or similar).

For info on alternative methods, have a look at clusterbusters.com. This isn't an area I have any direct experience in.

For your questions.

#1 - I kept my cylinders for a year or two after my last CH before returning them. If my CH returns then I know I can get them quick plus I've sumatriptan injections to carry me over. Return them when you are comfortable. Going to BoC direct you will pay about $4 per cylinder per month (prices from a few years ago), so not expensive to keep them. You don't get a refund for unused O2 on returning them.

#2 - People have reported from no symptoms at all to a significant reduction in CH but still having some. So somewhere between isn't unexpected. It is possible that your D3 levels are still building up to the level where you can go symptom free. There is more info in the D3 link I posted earlier.

With the 30C and 95%+ humidity I think anyone without air con is tired from disturbed sleep.

#3 If you went outside at noon in the weather we have wearing shorts you'd generate well over 10K iu in just a few minutes. Many of us have been taking 10K iu for years and other than higher D3 tests than most people (with healthy Ca levels), there seems to be no issues. But do talk with your GP.

#4 Some probiotics might also help, especially if you have antibiotics which kill off more than just your malicious bacteria. Good food helps you so much more than just in relation to headaches.

IP Logged

memske
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Reply #51 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:00am

This has been very helpful to read, put some hope back in me after struggling to get anywhere with trying to get oxygen in NZ, mainly due to GP/Chronic Pain/Neurologist/Respiratory team not accepting it.

Even after once being admitted and given high flow oxygen and it helping  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:32pm by memske »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #52 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:54am

We're happiest when we can help,  Memske.

Welcome aboard.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #53 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 3:57am

Hi Memske and welcome to where we know CH just like you do from personal experience.

Having GPs, doctors and even many neurologists not know how to treat CH is something that is sadly all too common so you're not alone in what you're going through.

I was only able to get O2 from learning here about its benefits and then simply not taking no for an answer. I've sent you a link to where you can download a load of CH related articles from published medical research journals and you'll see O2 as being one of the standard ways to kill off CHs. Whenever you get a doctor / medical worker who is ignorant of the facts or is so outdated that they don't know of the published medical research in this area that dates back to pioneering work in this field by Prof Kudrow (his daughter is the actress from Friends) which was published  in the 1980s.

Whilst they can ignore the evidence that you aborted a CH with O2, it is only likely to be from showing real published medical research that they might change their mind.

If they say it can't be done, I can send you the contact information for the person I deal with in CMDHB who can confirm to them that it is possible.

Anyway, apart from issues with getting O2, have you an effective preventive and sumatriptan injections to abort CHs?

Tell us more and we can help you. I can put a kiwi spin on anything people suggest.

You've now got highly experienced CHers on your side.

Keep reading, learn more and ask anything.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!