Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Expired Imitrex (Read 6962 times)
Clustermom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Texas
Expired Imitrex
Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:09pm

Hi everyone, is it safe to use expired Imitrex shots? We do not have insurance and my sons headaches are back after 20 days of no headaches?? That has never happened before, if anyone can shed light on that please help, I pay $150 for a shot and I just don't want them going to waste? Someone had said they just weren't as strong, I'm just wanting to make sure? Have a blessed Thanksgiving

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Expired Imitrex
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:31pm

I've used imitrex shots that were expired over a year and had no problems, they still worked.

Read the imitrex tip on the left, many can get by with only 2 mg, you can get 3 aborts from each syringe.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 8:38am

From what I've read here, many used expired meds. I might be tempted to do the same if I needed to, but avoid that unless it's really necessary.

There's usually a 6 month widow past expiration that's fairly safe for most drugs. Expiration for drugs is a date that the manufacturer can guarantee the drug is in spec with the safety and efficacy profile that was approved for sale. Outside of those date boundaries, drugs may lose potency or in some cases, become unstable. It is likely that the worst case for Imitrex is a loss of potency, which should not be a factor.

An important consideration is also that, if there is a problem when using a drug beyond expiration, you have little legal recourse with the manufacturer. This is also true with using drugs off label or not in accordance with the prescribed method of administration. I don't open my Imitrex injectibles for this reason. However, I have all that I need by prescription and paid by insurance. Not all are as lucky.

-Chris

IP Logged

Norm
CH.com Newbie

Thank you CH.com!

Valencia, CA
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 2:55pm

Hello,

My neurologist says that the injections are safe for one year past their expirations.  Like many of you I had an old stockpile I had to raid after a long period of remission..

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 3:32pm

Norm wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 2:55pm:
My neurologist says that the injections are safe for one year past their expirations.

And many here use them very effectively and safely well beyond that...

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 3:47pm

Yep this subject has come up so many times and so many of us have successfully used expired imitrex - in my  case even 7 years (!) expired injections.

That imitrex tip on the left that Giussepi/Joe mentioned is invaluable for imitrex users - it should allow your son to get at least TWICE as many aborts from his prescriptions. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2010 at 3:53pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 1:23am

I have used it 6 years past exp date.
Still worked.  Look for signs of discoloring, if so don't use.

Also, I have used as little as 1/6 or 1/7 and still had the CH
go away.  That can really save you, need to shoot early.

Cheesy
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2010 at 1:25am by boski »  

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 9:14pm

Get em off the trex, Get some Oxygen and read Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Coach Bill
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2010 at 9:15pm by coach_bill »  

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

LadyLuv
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Champaign, IL
Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 2:42pm

I was told my a pharmacy friend many years ago, that the only medication I SHOULD NEVER use after expiration dates is ANTIBIOTICS.. She say they change chemistry, and can poison your system. She stated that the only thing that happens with pain medication is that is loses its' potency, and one might have to take more.

I Pray that she is right, because I diffidently use Trex after its' expiration date...

Lady Luv

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Ruthie Harper Ruthie Harper  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 3:19pm

Yep old trex will give you rebounds just like new trex.
I have used expired up to 3 years. No problems.
Never mix triptans
the bb

IP Logged

Glassman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ohio
Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 10:49am

I've used nasal spray Imitrex which had been expired over four years and it still worked as well as the new.

Maine Coon Cat Crazy

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 12:55pm

Quote:
Get em off the trex

Why?

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 6:31am

LadyLuv wrote on Dec 6th, 2010 at 2:42pm:
I was told my a pharmacy friend many years ago, that the only medication I SHOULD NEVER use after expiration dates is ANTIBIOTICS.. She say they change chemistry, and can poison your system. She stated that the only thing that happens with pain medication is that is loses its' potency, and one might have to take more.

I Pray that she is right, because I diffidently use Trex after its' expiration date...

Lady Luv

Epi-pens also lose their effectiveness after the expiration date. I've read some studies done on it, and it says that it goes downhill right after they expire.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!