Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 443930 times)
lbh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #1375 - May 1st, 2013 at 4:44pm

PS - No colds or other infections that I'm aware of that could be depleting my 25(OH)D reserves.  Frankly I feel great from the neck down.

IP Logged

SouthernCluster
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Florida
Reply #1376 - May 3rd, 2013 at 8:07pm

I am a 20+ year episodic sufferer; 18+ months between cycles.  I've been in my latest cycle since April 2.  I am taking 150mg of Topamax (not working) and had an occipital nerve block injection on April 16th (didn't work).  After some research here at CH.com, I started the vitamin regimen on Saturday, April 20th.   Almost daily headaches (all treated with O2) that were coming every night started to subside after 2 days and this week I've only had one headache on Tuesday - that's 1 HA in the last week.  I went for the blood test on Monday and my 25(OH)D is 59 so I will continue with 15,000 IU and have another blood test in a month or so and report back.  I do feel a bit hazy much of the time as others have reported - not sure if that's the headache aura trying to fight through or the Topamax - I think it's the former.

Question for the group is when is it safe to have a glass of wine? 

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #1377 - May 4th, 2013 at 12:22am

I think it's the latter. There's a reason many CH vets call it Dopeymax.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1378 - May 4th, 2013 at 1:24am

Hey SouthernCluster,

Thanks for the update.  Topamax, (topiramate) like depakote (valproic acid a.k.a. dopeycoat) are both anticonvulsants...  as such they can and will do a number you you... They'll leave you feeling goofy and disconnected... and at best, they're only partially effective... if you can get by the side effects...

If the Topamax isn't working, call your neurologist and tell him it's ineffective preventing your cluster headaches and you want to stop taking it...  You can also tell him that vitamin D3 is working more effectively with no real side effects.  (I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear your neurologist's response... when you tell him that).

As far as the wine test goes...  take a 50,000 IU loading dose of vitamin D3 and make sure you've got a good supply of oxygen handy... then go for it!  Just don't over do it...

I'm a CCH'er... at least I was 6 months ago when I did my third burn-down test of my 25(OH)D reserves in 30 months by stopping the entire regimen...  8 days later... just like the two previous tests of my 25(OH)D reserves...  Wham-O...  a classic Kip-6.  I jumped on the oxygen and blew it away in less than 5 minutes then took a 50,000 IU vitamin D3 loading dose...  I was back to my rum & coke in jig time...  but then alcohol has never been a trigger for me...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Radar63
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

UK
Reply #1379 - May 4th, 2013 at 2:23pm

HI Batch and all here
Have not really been in for a while, I have been sat on tenterhooks as for the first time in 15 years I am having a spring without the beast.  Back in Feb Batch you told me to keep the faith and this years would be a non event.  Well I am sat here without even a shadow this year, I have a large G and T next to me and life is so good.  If you are not yet having success with the regimen then keep with it. first year I did not really keep to it religiously, and i got hit to a lesser extent regularly.  THen I did not keep it up after the episode of hits finished, then I got hit again the following year, this time i got into it heavily and it stopped quicker with the regimen, this time though I kept going.  I take the full regimen every single day and have done now for over a year, since the beast stopped last year then I have had no hits since, I should be struggling with major hits now.  I am completely and utterly pain free.  I think that in my case long term use of the D3 regimen has been completely effective.  Do I notice any ill effects, only one, lets say I am often quite loose when I go to the toilet, at least i am never constipated!!  If you are struggling and feeling that perhaps this is not for you keep with it, dont stop ever, you will come through it, and you will be so much healthier as well as an added benefit.
Many thanks Batch you are a legend!

Ian Cheesy

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #1380 - May 4th, 2013 at 6:48pm

Thanks for this post, it really is good to see people having success and going pain free, hoping that it encourages others to try it themselves.

IP Logged

SouthernCluster
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Florida
Reply #1381 - May 4th, 2013 at 10:07pm

SouthernCluster wrote on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:07pm:
I am a 20+ year episodic sufferer; 18+ months between cycles.  I've been in my latest cycle since April 2.  I am taking 150mg of Topamax (not working) and had an occipital nerve block injection on April 16th (didn't work).  After some research here at CH.com, I started the vitamin regimen on Saturday, April 20th.   Almost daily headaches (all treated with O2) that were coming every night started to subside after 2 days and this week I've only had one headache on Tuesday - that's 1 HA in the last week.  I went for the blood test on Monday and my 25(OH)D is 59 so I will continue with 15,000 IU and have another blood test in a month or so and report back.   

Hope I didn't speak too soon.  Headaches last night and today (no wine involved, no changes to conditions).  Both handled easily with O2, thankfully.  Will keep the faith and report back.

IP Logged

SouthernCluster
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Florida
Reply #1382 - May 5th, 2013 at 7:16am

Brew wrote on May 4th, 2013 at 12:22am:
I think it's the latter. There's a reason many CH vets call it Dopeymax.

I think "hazy" may have been a poor choice of words on my part.  I should have a said I'm feeling "shadows" much of the time.  Prior to trying the treatment, if I felt cluster "twinges" coming on, I could not run, I could not hide...it was a matter of minutes until big pain was coming.  Now, I'm noticing that what previously was a warning sign now may go on for hours or full days and then go away, only to return a day or two later. 

And this is why I don't think it's the Topamax.  Since the feeling I get with Tope is different.  I can feel it at work up there, but mostly when I am changing the dosage.  When the dose has been stable for a few days, I'm much less dopey.

Just wanted to clarify so others who are seeing similar situations understand the vitamins didn't just make my clusters vanish.....yet.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1383 - May 5th, 2013 at 3:09pm

Hey Ian,

Thanks for the wonderful feedback and kind words...  I love it when a plan comes together... and you sail through a CH cycle pain free...  Good on you!

Check your magnesium supplement.  If it's magnesium oxide, switch to magnesium citrate, magnesium lactate, or magnesium glycinate... These magnesium salts have a bioavailability around 80-90%... Magnesium oxide bioavailability is down less than 5% and it acts as a laxative at doses like this.

SouthernCluster...  It sounds like you've still got a little bit more to go in order to elevate your 25(OH)D serum concentration to a therapeutic level.  Try doubling your daily vitamin D3 dose for a few days to a week and watch what happens.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

lbh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1384 - May 5th, 2013 at 8:54pm

Hello all - wanted to give a quick update.

I increased the mag to 400 mg and the vit D to 20,000 iu per day, which I started last Wednesday and continue through today.  Since Wednesday I've been completely pain free, although I believe there's a likelihood that I had some freak pain and wasn't going into cycle.  I have an appt to get my 25(OH)D checked tomorrow morning and will upload results.  I'll also be in touch later this year at the normal cycle times.  Once I can report with some certainty on the results of the D regimen, I'll take the survey.

Thank you again for all your great work and research and please keep up the fight to get this accepted by the medical community.

IP Logged

IndianaJohn
CH.com Hall of Famer

Into the jaws of the Beast

Decatur,Indiana,USA
Reply #1385 - May 7th, 2013 at 3:04pm

Just an update, I've been PF for 15 months

10,000 IU D3
500mg Magnesium
500mg Potassium
500mg Calcium Citrate
2400mg fish oil

It's been working well, no HA's, no bad side effects.

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?

IP Logged

erk
CH.com Junior

bunker hill , west virginia
Reply #1386 - May 7th, 2013 at 5:04pm

Wow, everyone seems to be having such great results, and believe me I want to join you in pf bliss. But no good news as of yet.
I've been taking for 1 month with lemonad or oj:

D3 15000 Ius (50000 dose once a week)
Calcium citrate (600 mg of calc, 250mg mag. and 10mg zinc)
fish oil 2000 ius

My neuro is a f ing b and wouldn't order the 25(oh) d test, stating it wasnt part of their normal care so the insurance wouldnt pay.

I dont have a PCP but I'm trying to locate a good one and hopefully get the test done asap.

I going to stop the regimen in the mean time as I've had more frequent attacks in the  24 hr period following the 50000 d3 load dose???? This years cycle is still going on strong at 4 mo.s,  longer than normal for me.

I'm using energy drinks or 2mg trex to abort (02 is on the way though). This regimen was supposed to be my prevent, but it does seem to helping even a little.

Any one having similar lack of results???

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #1387 - May 7th, 2013 at 9:33pm

Tell your doc that you're willing to pay for it and that she should just order it, please.

Then talk to the lab and ask them if they will just charge you their normal negotiated rate and pay cash for it. Shouldn't run you more than $40 or $50.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1388 - May 8th, 2013 at 2:55am

Hey Erk,

Brew has given you some sound advice on the 25(OH)D lab test.  You can also order this lab test over the internet or by phone from ZRT labs...  The test costs $65 and no Rx required.  See the following link for details"

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

What kind of magnesium are you taking?  If it's magnesium oxide, switch to magnesium citrate or magnesium malate.  Magnesium oxide had a bioavailability of 4% to 5%...  Magnesium citrate and magnesium malate are up around 90% bioavailability.

Are you taking any vitamin A (retinol)? Most multi-vitamins contain retinol.

You may have a low arterial/systemic pH...  (too much acid) and that could be blocking the vitamin D3 preventative effect...   Try some Alka-Seltzer or the Arm & Hammer baking soda tonic...  (half teaspoon of baking soda in 4 ounces of water 4 to 5 times a day.  Either method should elevate your systemic pH.

If your liver is working properly, your 25(OH)D is likely up around 80 to 90 ng/mL by now...  That means you can drop back to a maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day and not have any worries about vitamin D3 intoxication.

IndianaJohn...  Thanks for the wonderful update!!!

Take care and please keep us posted

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #1389 - May 8th, 2013 at 9:49am

Erk
   I too, had no good response to the D3 protocol.  I had my levels tested and they were up in the high eighties, after seven weeks on it.  I still take the combo, but its not working for me,  I changed my diet, etc. tried the baking soda thing etc.  it just doesnt work for some.  I am going longer than usual as well, although I skipped a cycle last year so the beast is probably punishing the crap out of me.  I already bought all of the vits, so I will finish them out, but I dont think I will buy any more because after four months,  I think I would have seen an improvment.  Things are as bad as they have ever been.  But , as Batch said,  some people take longer to respond, and maybe you should give it some more time.  Just imagine, if you gave up a week before you would have seen great results.

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

erk
CH.com Junior

bunker hill , west virginia
Reply #1390 - May 8th, 2013 at 4:34pm

Chrisw,
Sorry to hear you are not having any luck. Thats good advice I am going stick with the regimen. Hope the beast retreats for you soon.

Batch,
Good call on the mag. I checked my calc citrate w/ mag and zinc it was mag oxide. So I found some cal and mag citrate (wasnt easy to find). I got vit A, K2 and zinc as well. Will dose accordingly.

Also I got the baking soda and alka seltzer and some ph test strips. Tested after taking all the vit.'s with oj, it was 7.0. Is that too low?

Overnighted the d3 serum test kit, should arrive thursday. Will post after results.

Thanks!!!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1391 - May 9th, 2013 at 2:07am

Hey Erk,

Good move on the magnesium citrate and vitamin A (retinol)...  They might just do the trick...

Regarding the saliva pH test strips...  A single measurement is just that... a single datum.  You need to measure your saliva three times a day and average the results to get a more accurate indication.  Do this for a couple weeks and you should have a good profile of your saliva pH.

Measure the first pH of the day before breakfast, the second before lunch and the third right before bed.   

You also need to measure your saliva pH during cluster headache hits.  If your system is anything like mine, your saliva pH during a hit will be roughly 0.5 below your daily pH average. 

The following chart illustrates my average daily pH (green line) and my pH during a cluster headache attack (red line) and five minutes after an abort with oxygen therapy at flow rates that support hyperventilation (blue line).  From all the data I've collected, I'm convinced a low arterial pH will keep preventatives from working and will even slow down abortives...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The best pH measurement technique is rinse your mouth out with water and wait a few minutes for fresh saliva to form.  Saliva pH lags behind your arterial pH by roughly 5 minutes.

Hang in there...  This regimen should work and if it doesn't... data from the online survey and from posts here at CH.com indicate a comorbid condition is usually responsible.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #1392 - May 9th, 2013 at 8:28am

I know its a change of subject,  but jeez Batch, dont you ever sleep?  I see the times of your responses.  You really are a night owl arent you?  lol Grin Grin

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #1393 - May 9th, 2013 at 8:51am

chrisw wrote on May 9th, 2013 at 8:28am:
I know its a change of subject,  but jeez Batch, dont you ever sleep?  I see the times of your responses.  You really are a night owl arent you?  lol Grin Grin

Oh Chris, he is the man! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #1394 - May 9th, 2013 at 2:55pm

Just an update...

I've increased my D3 to 10,000 IU about two weeks ago and now to 30,000 this week and am continuing the calcium and fish oil. I'm also still dosing with seeds every five to seven days but seems that things are ramping up instead of slowing down. 

I'm so easily discouraged when it comes to CH.   Undecided

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #1395 - May 9th, 2013 at 4:24pm

Jeannie - Be sure you're getting an adequate amount of zinc, magnesium, vitamin A (retinol), and boron.

Could be you're like me - VERY slow to ramp up and get into the sweet spot.

Edited to add: You might also want to try a half-teaspoon of baking soda in a small glass of water 2 or 3 times a day.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2013 at 4:25pm by Brew »  

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #1396 - May 10th, 2013 at 11:20am

Thanks, Brew.   I added a multi-vitamin this morning.  It has all of those listed in it.  I'm not losing hope just yet.  I was just thinking that I was one of the lucky ones who saw immediate results because the last two months of CH have been so mild.  I'd be pleased if I could even just get back to no daytime hits. 

PF wishes,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #1397 - May 10th, 2013 at 7:44pm

I've been onit since Easter and haven'nt noticed real change in clusters but feel better overall.

I think this outstanding Pete!!!

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #1398 - May 10th, 2013 at 9:29pm

You get a serum 25(OH)D test?

IP Logged

lbh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1399 - May 12th, 2013 at 2:43pm

Hi all,

I wanted to give an update, since it appears that I am not in fact pain free, despite the Vit. D treatment.  Interest news though, to say the least.

After 10,000 iu of D3 per day since January of 2013, my 25(OH)D levels went from 14 ng/ml to 76.9, tested last Monday. 

My cycles usually come in the Fall or Winter.  I appear to be in, or fighting, a cycle now, in May, which is new. 

My success with the regimen thus far appears to dependent upon the magnesium, and not just the quantity but the type.  Here's what happened:

- Tuesday before last (about a week and a half ago), I had a low grade evening hit that woke me up.  Aborted with sumatriptan.
- Wednesday, upon Batch's suggestion, I cut the calcium in half and bought magnesium glycinate, 400mg.
- Thursday night slept great (with the help of extended release melatonin), and reported to the board that I was pain free and possibly not in cycle.
- I took the mag Thursday and Friday night, causing some unwanted gastro side effects Friday night. Believing I was not in cycle and wanting to feel good on my weekend trip out of town, I stopped the mag, but continued everything else.
- Monday morning woke up with a "stormy" head
- Tuesday woke up with a low grade hit (at this point obvious that I am in some kind of cycle)
- Wednesday I tried magnesium oxide, hoping it would still protect against the CH's but be easier on my stomach given the lower bioavailability.

Between Wednesday and now, the headaches didn't stop with the magnesium oxide, but they never exceeded more than a low grade, i.e. enough to wake me up but sometimes enough to sleep through or that I could abort with oral sumatriptan (my neurologist is still out of the country, so I have no O2, conveniently).  Yesterday I switched back to the mag glycinate, taking 400 mg around 2 pm with lunch.  No gastro side effects (yet), and my shadows had all but cleared up by last night.  Slept all night with the aid of extended release melatonin...but woke up with probably about a kip 5 this morning at 8 am.  Aborted with oral sumatriptan and currently feel hazy, but fine.

What I've learned from this is that the mag is important.  However, you have to take a mag supplement that is sufficiently bioavailable that there is enough of it in your system to do its thing (I think the Batch recommendation is glycinate or calcitrate, both with apparently high bioavailability).  Oxide may not do the trick.  If the mag is making your stomach upset, taking with a meal may help.

This is just my 2 cents.  I'm hoping that the next couple days and nights with all the cofactors and mag glycinate are smooth.  If this gets out of hand, I'll have to switch to prednisone and verapemil and ride it out.  I'll look forward to any comments and wish you all some good, pain free time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!