Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 441122 times)
Adamt
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #1425 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 1:11pm

It's been quite awhile since I have posted about my results. I apologize.

It was right around this time last year I found this thread and printed off the information and went to my Doctor. I am here to give you all an update and it's been way over due. First and foremost, Batch... I can't thank you enough!

After reviewing the information, my Doctor brought me and tested my D3 serum level, it was very low. I began the regimen and the very first night I had an uninterrupted night of sleep, something I haven't experienced in a very long time. A week later the beast up and left my body and took the shadows with him as well. Now, a year later I am still pain free and living like I have never lived before.

I am actually almost in tears writing this because since the age of 13 CH has disrupted every single aspect of life for me. Relationships, work and social activity were devastated and tested to their limits. There were several occasions where instead of buying my injections I contemplated of using the money to buy a gun instead. I am now 42 and life has just begun.

I am back to work full time and am in the process of opening up my own business. A dream that I have always dreamed. I can now finally say I love life, and that is something that I thought was never again going to be possible. I am happy to say that my Doctor is also using this therapy with a few of his migraine patients successfully.

Once again, Batch... you sir have saved my life. I am forever indebted to you. If I could meet you I would give you the biggest hug of your life. I can only hope that the rest of you find the same results and can experience life the way it is suppose to be. Take care every one and pain free days for all of my fellow CH sufferer's!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1426 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 2:40pm

Adamt,

Wow...  Thank you for a superb and very powerful back brief on your life changing experience with the anti-inflammatory regimen. 

I know the wonderful feeling being free of cluster headache and I'm very happy for you.

It's comments like yours that grab the attention of other CH'ers still searching for a workable and lasting solution to this very painful disorder.

When you have time, please PM me the contact info for your doctor.  I'll be happy to send additional information from the survey of CH'ers using this regimen.  It's very compelling and the data indicates a clear causal relationship between cluster headache and a vitamin D3 deficiency.   

Moreover, by elevating serum 25(OH)D concentration into a range of 60 to 110 ng/mL by taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 is 81% effective in preventing cluster headache.

If you've not taken this survey, please do.  You can find it at the following link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Thank you again for the wonderful update.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #1427 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 6:01pm

G'day Adamt,
I enjoyed reading your post. I can relate to that, hoping you've
got rid of the Beast forever.                                                   

Hoppy.

IP Logged

JH86
CH.com Newbie

Raleigh NC
Reply #1428 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 7:00pm

Adamt- Great story. So glad this has worked for you and so many others.

I’m not having much luck so far and just wondering if anyone out there tried the D3 and got their levels on up there (say >85ng/ml), found it wasn't helping, but then discovered a comorbid condition and/or some other “trick” that made it work for them? I've been on the regimen for 4.5 weeks and just got my lab test results. I’m at 107ng/ml. Unfortunately, I can’t say I’m any better off than any other cycle I've had. Actually am a little worse overall to be honest.

Followed the regimen to a tee including the Magnesium Citrate, K2, Boron, Calcium Citrate, Zinc, Multi-Vitamin with RDA of Vitamin A, fish oil and even the baking soda several times a day. (I currently do not take any other CH medication at all.) Still getting hit at least 3-5 times/day with at least two of those being in the K6-8 range. Granted, every now and then one of them seems quicker to abort with 02 than usual but that’s about it.

I’m going to stay on the regimen at least long enough to finish off my supply, but will knock back to 8 to 10K IU of the D3 per day.

I did talk to my GP about this but wasn't examined or tested for other things that might interfere with this working. I wasn't sure what to even ask about really. Anyone out there find any help from an endocrinologist or an “alternative” practitioner? Any other tricks or things to try related to this regimen now that I've got a pretty hefty serum level?

Thanks
John

IP Logged

yesdog27
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Reply #1429 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 7:16pm

Great question , John. I'm in the same boat as you. I have been on the regimen for about 7 weeks now. Initially I noticed a big difference but then I slowly started getting worse again. I just tested at 110 ng/ml last week. I am taking the D3, calcium citrate, magnesium citrate, multivitamin, and fish oil. Interested to hear everyone's answers...

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #1430 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 7:50pm

I started the D3 Regime during my Spring cycle 2012, with no
relief, in fact my attacks were all over the place, drove me crazy.
But the good news is i had no CH's this Fall. Smiley

Hoppy.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1431 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 1:36pm

John,

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time and that the anti-inflammatory regimen hasn't been effective in preventing your CH.

It's cases like yours that grab my attention.  You appear to be doing everything right taking the anti-inflammatory regimen... Your 25(OH)D is up in the green zone... and it's still not working to prevent your CH...  I suspect we're missing something.

For starters, check the type of magnesium you're taking.  We need magnesium supplements with the highest bioavailability, i.e., magnesium malate, magnesium glycinate or magnesium citrate. 

These three salts of magnesium have an 80-90% bioavailability.  Magnesium oxide has a bioavailability of at best 5% and can induce osmotic diarrhea at higher doses.

If you're already taking one of the three magnesium supplements above, cut the calcium supplements for a week to see what happens.

We are what we eat, so the second thing to try is the GOMBS diet. Greens, Onions, Mushrooms, Beans-Berries and Seeds.  A handful of each a day should be sufficient. 

Extra virgin olive oil, almonds and avocados are really good sources of anti-oxidents. I make a mean caesar salad dressing with fresh egg yokes, EVOO, lemon juice and elephant garlic then toss it with romaine lettuce with avocados and sunflower seads and top with fresh grated romano or parmesan cheese. 

See the following links for more on the GOMBS diet:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

A sub-clinical allergy is always a possibility so cut out gluten and peanuts.  Cut out sugar and all prepared foods containing sugar... Whole fresh fruits are ok.

The last suggestion comes off the wall...  Nopalea...  Swing by Costco, Wally World or your local supermarket and pick up a jug of their nopal product.  It can't hurt and it just might help.   

If all of the above fail to improve your situation, see your PCP for the endocrine panel of lab tests or look up an endocrinologist for a complete workup.

One last thought on your oxygen therapy.  What flow rate are you using?  If we can't prevent your CH... we might just be able to improve your abort times with oxygen therapy.  I was chronic for over 5 years and oxygen was all I used... except I used oxygen at flow rates that support hyperventilation... (25 to 40 liters/minute).  The following chart illustrates the benefits of this method of oxygen therapy over traditional oxygen therapy at 15 liters/minute.

4 of the 7 participants in this pilot study used a 0-60 liter/minute regulator and got the same results as the 3 participants who used an oxygen demand valve.  The seven participants logged a total 366 aborts during the eight weeks each took part in this study. The two methods of oxygen therapy were 99% effective in achieving an abort and as you can see in the above chart, the average abort time was 7 minutes for all attacks between pain levels 3 and 9.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2013 at 1:43pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

JH86
CH.com Newbie

Raleigh NC
Reply #1432 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 10:16pm

Batch-
Thanks for the reply and your seemingly tireless efforts at helping people out with this.

Yeah, been doing the Magnesium Citrate since the start. I'll try cutting the Calcium for a while.

I've previously read up on the GOMBS stuff and have been trying to do that. Not very disciplined when it comes to a healthy diet though. Cutting the gluten and sugar would be a large task for me. Sounds like you're quite the cook though. Need to stop by your place for dinner sometime  Wink

Been using 02 now for about 12 years. Gotten pretty good at aborting with it but will work on your Hyperventilating technique a little more. I do have a welders regulator that can blow the bag apart in seconds flat if needed. The worst ones (the one or two after falling asleep at night) are always the most stubborn. Seems to take 20-25 minutes to fully abort no matter what I do. Still, better than the alternative.

I'm going to pursue the endocrinologist "complete workup" thing. I've come this far and it would be interesting regardless.

Again, thanks so much for all the advice and time.
John

IP Logged

Morran
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Sweden
Reply #1433 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 10:29am

I Think this has been up before in the thread but I had much better success when I upped my doasge of vit A. I couldn't get the shadows from leaving and took 25000IU D3 each day but felt that my shadows went away for 2 days after each sushi meal.
I upped my dosage to 7500IU Vit A per day and could the day after stop my dosage of d3 for a week until the shadows reappeared again. 

Now I've been drunk for 3 weeks and still no pain  Cheesy Grin

Thank you, Batch! You've saved my Life! I'm 6 months into my cluster and has Another 8 to go and I feel great! You will forever be my hero! Kiss

IP Logged

JH86
CH.com Newbie

Raleigh NC
Reply #1434 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 8:21pm

Morran wrote on Jun 24th, 2013 at 10:29am:
Now I've been drunk for 3 weeks and still no pain  Cheesy Grin

Now that's what I'm talking about. Smiley

I'm going to up my Vit. A and buy a keg of beer!  Cheesy

But seriously, interesting post. I'm going to play around a little with the doses and see what happens....

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #1435 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 10:37pm

Pattik,
That was a very inspiring and well written testimony about D3.

Congrats and PF wishes to you Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #1436 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 12:41am

I agree, well writen, and well said. I also did'nt dance with
the Beast this fall, thanks to Batch.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1437 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 12:36pm

Pattik,

Thank you for the wonderful update on your experience with the anti-inflammatory regimen.  In some cases I think episodic CH'ers have a more difficult time trying to determine the effectiveness of this regimen when they first start it.  Like so many other preventatives, a drop in the frequency of our CH can and will co-inside with end of cycle blurring the cause and effect nature of the preventative.

That said, staying on this regimen year-round and sailing through the next regular cycle without a visit from the beast is a very strong indication of effectiveness.   Good on you for sticking with this regimen and for the wonderful update.

JH and Morran, interesting comments on the link between taking additional vitamin A and a cessation of your cluster headache symptoms. 

You may have hit the nail square on the head and connected the dots in answering the question why some CH'ers take so long to respond to this regimen and others don't respond at all...

The biochemistry and molecular biology of vitamin A is almost as fascinating as vitamin D3.  Among it's many benefits is the role it plays in conjunction with vitamin D3 as it applies to genetic transcription and gene expression.

I'm not a doctor or a cellular biologist.  On top of that my schooling in cellular biology and biochemistry circa '62-'67 is sadly out of date... 

In order to put my following discussion in perspective,  vitamin A was discovered in 1914.  However, it wasn't until 1969 that researchers discovered it was metabolized into 1,25(OH)2D3, (calcitriol) and that vitamin D3 receptors existed on human genes. The human genome wasn't completely mapped our until 2003 at NIH.

Accordingly, I'll use the following graphic from Biochemistry for Medics© to show where vitamin A, (retinol), links up with 1,25(OH)2D3, (calcitriol), the active hormonal form of vitamin D3 at the cellular nucleus/genetic level.

What this graphic illustrates is the physical location and proximity between the Retinoic Acid X Receptor (RXR) and the Vitamin D Receptor (VDR) at a special location on the DNA dual helix called the Vitamin D Receptor Element (VDRE). 

When activated by 1,25(OH)2D (vitamin D3) and retinoic acid (vitamin A), this RXR-VDR complex modulates the transcription of specific genes.   More than 50 genes in tissues throughout the body are known to be regulated by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D... and the number is growing...

What are genetic transcription and gene expression?  In layman's language, (my limited understanding), genetic transcription is the first step in gene expression.  Gene expression is the process by which information from a gene is used in the cell to synthesize a functional gene product.  In other words, in response to a signal or stimulus, the cell used vitamin D3 and vitamin A to manufacture a product needed by the body.

Dr. Robert Heaney, MD, one of the Jedi Masters of vitamin D3 therapy explains it best...

"When bound to the vitamin D receptor and a variety of other helper proteins, calcitriol seems to be just the right key to open up the locked stores of DNA information, allowing the cell to transcribe the plans and produce the proteins needed for tissue-specific responses. The helper proteins that are a part of this complex determine the region of the DNA that will be transcribed. Without vitamin D, the ability of the cell to respond adequately to pathologic and physiologic signals is impaired.

For example, the ductal epithelium of the breast requires vitamin D to mount an adequate response to cyclic variation in estrogen and progesterone. Also, macrophages use vitamin D to enable the synthesis of the bactericidal peptides needed to deal with bacterial invaders.

In addition, most of the epithelial structures in the body, which turn over relatively rapidly, use vitamin D to signal the transcription of proteins that regulate cell differentiation, cell proliferation, and apoptosis (programmed cell death)."

So where is all this going?  My theory what this means to us as cluster headache sufferers follows:

My current thinking on the mechanism of action of the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 is based on the extrarenal (outside the kidneys) autocrine path of vitamin D3 metabolism that takes place in the periphery at the cellular and nuclear level and that supports genetic expression. 

As such I think 1,25(OH)2D3, (calcitriol), down-regulates or suppresses the calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) [1] that is elevated during cluster headache and migraine attacks. [2]

1.  Durham PL, Sharma RV, Russo AF, Repression of the Calcitonin Gene-Related Peptide Promoter by 5-HT1 Receptor Activation. The Journal of Neuroscience, December 15, 1997, 17(24):9545–9553.

2.  Goadsby PJ, Edvinsson L. Human in vivo evidence for trigeminovascular activation in cluster headache Neuropeptide changes and effects of acute attacks therapies. Oxford Journals>Medicine Brain>Volume117, Issue3 Pp. 427-434.

This is just a SWAG (sophisticated wild-ass guess) backed up by a few related studies at this point... but I'm sticking with it until proven wrong...  and that's going to take some serious research backed by equally serious funding.

As one of the essential elements in genetic expression is vitamin A, that's reason enough for me to include vitamin A as an essential part of the anti-inflammatory regimen.

That also brings us to a practical question...  How much vitamin A should we take as a part of the anti-inflammatory regimen?

A review of available literature indicates the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for vitamin A is 900 micrograms (mcg) or µg/day (3000 IU) RAE (retinol activity equivalents) for men and 700 µg/day (2333 IU) RAE for women. 

The UL or maximum upper limit that can be taken without adverse effects, is 3000 µg/day RAE.

Owing to wide variations in vitamin A absorption in either form,(beta-carotene, the provitamin and retinol) and metabolism of retinol to retinoic acid, we may need more vitamin A than the RDA... 

How much more?

I'm comfortable in doubling the RDA to 1,800 µg, (6,000 IU) RAE vitamin A/day for four reasons: 

(1) The Nutrition Board at the Institute of Medicine and the Office of Dietary Supplements at NIH tend to be conservative in setting the RDA for vitamins and minerals...  (Remember, it was the folks on the Nutrition Board that set the RDA for vitamin D3 at 400 IU/day.)

(2) The second reason is 1,800 µg/day vitamin A is still only slightly more than half the UL.

(3) Some types of foods are very high in vitamin A (beta-carotene or retinol) as illustrated in the following chart:

Vitamin A is available in multivitamins and as a stand-alone supplement, often in the form of retinyl acetate or retinyl palmitate. A portion of the vitamin A in some supplements is in the form of beta-carotene and the remainder is preformed vitamin A; others contain only preformed vitamin A or only beta-carotene. Supplement labels usually indicate the percentage of each form of the vitamin. The amounts of vitamin A in stand-alone supplements range widely. Multivitamin supplements typically contain 2,500–10,000 IU vitamin A, often in the form of both retinol and beta-carotene.

(4) A little vitamin A a day goes a long way.  Like any other vitamin, taking too much vitamin A can be harmful.

See the following for more details on vitamin A:

As always, talk to your PCP or neurologist about this regimen.  If for no other reason... you might just learn them something new about treating CH'ers...  with a safe, inexpensive and very effective cluster headache preventative...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

TeeJ2379
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Central PA, USA
Reply #1438 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 3:10pm

My energy drink of choice is Monster and the vit a listed is pretty high..1922iu - rda listed says thats 40 percent, so each can is two servings so thats 80% of my vit a right there....plus whats in my multi vitamin - thinking im good on the vitamin A ...

Pain is a wonderful teacher and motivator...

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #1439 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 3:58pm

Good to know about the Vitamin A cofactor.

My multivitamin includes Vitamin A (as Carocare natural mixed carotenoids) at 10,000 IU = 200% daily value.

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #1440 - Jun 27th, 2013 at 12:17am

Batch, Sometime ago I read here (If I understood it right) about how oxygen works to kill a cluster by lowering the co2 in the blood which in turn raises the pH which causes the blood vessels to constrict. I've also heard adding baking soda or equivalent to one's diet can help to raise the pH. We all know how deadly alcohol is for us, a least in cycle, and many alcohols contain a fair amount of natural carbonation and hard liquor is often mixed with a soft drink. My question isn't how alcohol hurts our situation but how, if at all, carbonated drinks might affect us.  Is it possible consumption of soda is a detriment to our problem and does any of that co2 reach the bloodstream?
     My brother-in-law is a chronic ch and a heavy cola drinker also, he doesn't drink pop at work, his day times are OK but he pounds them when he gets home and his evenings are his worst time. I know this is common but maybe a link?
      I've got him started on D3 but nothing definitive yet.

Thanks,    Sean

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1441 - Jun 27th, 2013 at 2:04pm

Sean,

Good question and good on you for getting your brother-in-law started on the anti-inflammatory regimen.  The short answer is there's a wide variety of irritants capable of initiating the cluster headache attack mechanism.  They range from nitroglycerine with a 100% probability of triggering a CH, to alcohol at 70% certain foods on down to petroleum and chemical vapors.

Alcohol in any form and cola have never been a CH trigger for me... but I may be one of the few exceptions to the alcohol trigger.

Although colas are acidic as most contain a small amount phosphoric acid, H3PO4 as a food additive to add a tangy flavor, most of the acidity is due to the carbonation with carbon dioxide, CO2 added under pressure which forms carbonic acid.  That's the same carbonic acid you get when mixing baking powder and water that eventually elevates serum pH triggering vasoconstriction.  The cola syrup is also high in caffeine which acts as a vasoconstrictor.

The bottom line is it's possible that several cans of cola a day can serve as a CH trigger.  That said, my experience drinking diet Coke and the chemistry of cola tell me it's unlikely. 

The best course of action for your brother-in-law is to see his PCP and ask for the lab test for 25(OH)D to determine his vitamin D3 status.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

Take care

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #1442 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 12:57am

Thanks, Batch,  His patterns are changing so the D3 is doing something, we'll have to see if it works as well for him as it did on me. 

Thanks for the reply,   Sean

IP Logged

Chuffy
CH.com Veteran

It's just a ride.

x0||United_Kingdom||||
Reply #1443 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 7:09am

Hi folks, I haven't checked in for a while but have been on the D3 regimen.

I started back in February and after being on it for about month got a blood test which came back at 200.2 nmol/L, which as far as I am aware is spot on to stop CH. Since then I have had no Episodes (Episodic), only now and again slight sensations that the beast might be trying to pay a visit but nothing else. I have also been maintenance dosing with RC Seeds every 6 weeks or so.

I am using 10,000iu a day of D3, 500mg of Calcium Citrate and 2200mg of Fish Oil containing 720mg EPA and 480mg DHA, which was pretty much Batch's original formula.

So all seems fine. The only question I have is, now looking on here is that I now see other supplements mentioned such as Magnesium, do I need that as well or if it ain't bust and all that??

Also, I don't know if anyone else experiences this but I do get mild bouts of nausea since being on the regimen? The only other meds I take are Lansoprazole 15mg as a maintenance dose for acid reflux.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2013 at 9:50pm by Chuffy »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #1444 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 7:25am

I get the nausea, too. I suspect it is the calcium as I only take the calcium in the morning - which is when I am most likely to skip a meal. Usually anytime I take it with breakfast (almost always yogurt and granola), the nausea is almost non-existent.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #1445 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:00pm

Chuffy wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 7:09am:

I started back in February and after being on it for about month got a blood test which came back at 200.2 nmol/L, which as far as I am aware is spot on to stop CH. Since then I have had no Episodes (Episodic), only now and again slight sensations that the beast might be trying to pay a visit but nothing else. I have also been maintenance dosing with RC Seeds every 6 weeks or so.

I am using 10,000iu a day of D3, 1000mg of Calcium Citrate and 2200mg of Fish Oil containing 720mg EPA and 480mg DHA, which was pretty much Batch's original formula.

So all seems fine. The only question I have is, now looking on here is that I now see other supplements mentioned such as Magnesium, do I need that as well or if it ain't bust and all that??

Also, I don't know if anyone else experiences this but I do get mild bouts of nausea since being on the regimen? The only other meds I take are Lansoprazole 15mg as a maintenance dose for acid reflux.

Calcium citrate at 500mg daily is sufficient and 1200mg of Fish oil is sufficient.  You are double dosing.  Perhaps this is the reason for your nausea.

Magnesium citrate at 400mg daily is recommended.

PF Wishes Wink
-Gregg in Las Vegas

IP Logged

red ryder
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1446 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:03pm

Batch, I have been headache free now for a year and a half-longest I have ever gone. Have been taking the Vit. D3, fish oil, cal-mag and zinc the whole time at different doses (none lower than 5000 daily). Last year in June the shadows started and I increased the vit d3 dose from 5,000 to 10,000 even 15,000 at times and they (shadows) went away. Well this year 2 days to the date of last year in July the shadows started again-- finaly decided to get the vit d3 levels checked with my neuologist. Took in the chart showing the Headache free zone above 60ng/ml and he seemed interested. Levels came back today 101 NG/ML. Lab report says possibility of toxicity over 100 NG/ML. But he (neurologist said he was ok with that since my other CMP blood work was completely normal. 
     This is just awesome and I can't thank you enough for all this info.  What is your thoughts on backing the D3 a little. Or you think just stay at 10,000 plus all the pool time (natural Vit D).

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1447 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 3:23pm

Hey Red Ryder,

Thanks for the feedback on your experience with the anti-inflammatory regimen.  Your 25(OH)D serum concentration is perfectly normal for a CH'er taking the anti-inflammatory regimen. 

My wife has been taking 15,000 IU/day vitamin D3 for nearly 3 years and her 25(OH)D serum concentration stays in a range between 105 and 115 ng/mL.  She is also free of the chronic migraine headaches that haunted her for over 20 years.

Her long time PCP didn't bat an eye at her 25(OH)D lab results but did comment that the rest of her labs and vitals which were quite normal, appear to be from a much younger woman...  This tickled my wife as she kicked the heck out of 75 last Christmas...

The truth about the "toxic" level of 25(OH)D is clouded by a lack of clinical studies for obvious reasons...  That said, there is a tremendous amount of anecdotal information from clinical observations that says the real lower threshold for vitamin D3 intoxication is somewhere North of 200 ng/mL, (500 nmol/L).

Your neurologist was correct in cross-checking your 25(OH)D serum concentration with your total serum calcium...  As long as the total serum calcium concentration stays in the normal rang... serum concentrations of 25(OH)D as high as 150 ng/mL are very safe.

Thanks again for the update and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Chuffy
CH.com Veteran

It's just a ride.

x0||United_Kingdom||||
Reply #1448 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 9:58pm

LasVegas wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:00pm:
Chuffy wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 7:09am:

I am using 10,000iu a day of D3, 1000mg of Calcium Citrate and 2200mg of Fish Oil containing 720mg EPA and 480mg DHA, which was pretty much Batch's original formula.

Calcium citrate at 500mg daily is sufficient and 1200mg of Fish oil is sufficient.  You are double dosing.  Perhaps this is the reason for your nausea.

Magnesium citrate at 400mg daily is recommended.

PF Wishes Wink
-Gregg in Las Vegas

I just edited my post as I realised the Kirkland Calcium tabs are 500mg for TWO tabs, it looks misleading on the tub. So I am in fact only taking 500mg a day.

As for the Omega 3 I use these Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and it says 2-3 tabs a day, I take 2.

Are you saying Magnesium Cirate as well as the Calcium Citrate (the Kirkland brand contains Mag) or instead of?

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #1449 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 7:45am

Hi Chuffy,
Yes Batch's regimen includes 400 mg of magnesium citrate as welll as 500 mg of calcium citrate.
I see you are in the U.K, I am not sure what the prices are for you for all the supplements in the regimen but for me in Ireland, they are very expensive so I buy them all on Iherb.com and save a small fortune, they also have an option for posting to Ireland (and U.K also) at $4 if the packet is under 4 pounds weight. If you choose this postage option there is very little risk of the custom office intercepting the packet and load extra euros (£s) for customs duty  Smiley, my packets have never been intercepted with the $4 postage option.
All the best.
Thierry   Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2013 at 7:49am by thierry »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!