Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 441242 times)
Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #1850 - May 15th, 2014 at 10:58am

Maz, Thanks for the information. Think I am beginning to understand it. I have been in touch with Batch and have made some changes and ordered some extra vitamins according to his advice. I'll post how I get on.

Shoot: You are right Magnesium was not in my list. The Calcium was a combination tablet but the magnesium content was small. I have ordered some. Thank you for the information about B vits. I will get some too.

I will read the 74 pages. I did make a start and will try to do it in chunks. Not easy when in cycle and sleep deprived.

ET

IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1851 - May 17th, 2014 at 8:37am

Well my friends, I am back after almost 3 years off. Here is my mistake. I stopped the "batch" shortly after my headaches went away 3 years ago. (3-4 months) and now I pay the price. I just started back up 9/12 with 10,000iu of D3 and the other supplements. That was not good enough, I guess.

I did the 50,000iu load on the 14th and thought maybe that would be the end of it all. Nope then my headaches went from mid day to night. From 1-2s to 4-5s. I have been taking 20,000iu D3 daily since then. I got hit with a nice 6-7 last night. I will keep on with the "batch" again taking 20,000 everyday and will do another load of 50,000 next week.

Back from a mid afternoon soccer game. Got hit.. 6-7 easy took two monsters and a few swear words to get rid of that one.

How long does it take to get the at home D3 tests back?
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2014 at 2:19pm by tgdurst »  

IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1852 - May 24th, 2014 at 2:50am

Update: sitting up at 0230 after aborting my second kip 6-7 with another monster and a ice packs and about 150 push-ups. Something is not working (yet) with this regime.

Nothing has changed, as in the amounts of pills I am taking etc, but yet the last two nights are like the old days (with lower grade hits so I do thank God and Batch for that)

20-25,000iu D3
500mg magnesium
2800 fish oil
Multi vitamin that covers the calcium etc.
B complex which might NOT cover the B50 close enough
Taken with lemonade

Took 1/4 water and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda prior to bed today

I have done 2 50,000 iu loads in the last two weeks and a 35,000iu load yesterday on top of my daily 20,000

Started the batch on 5/14

Looks like I have the wrong magnesium and b50. Vitamin shoppe here I come.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2014 at 8:39am by tgdurst »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1853 - May 24th, 2014 at 9:19pm

Hey TG,

Thanks for the update and sorry you're still having a rough time...  For most of us, the response time depends on the starting serum concentration of 25(OH)D and how fast brain cells metabolize it into 1,25(OH)2D3, calcitriol, the active vitamin D3 metabolite.

The simple calculus is a higher serum concentration of 25(OH)D makes for higher calcitriol production at the cellular level... That assumes there's sufficient magnesium to support the enzymatic processes involved in metabolizing vitamin D3 and vitamin A (retinol) that's essential for the genetic expression we think is responsible for down-regulating/suppressing calcitonin gene related peptide (CGRP) that's present during CH and migraine attacks.

It appears you're on the right track with your supplements so at this point it should be just a matter of time as you build 25(OH)D reserves up to a therapeutic level before you have a favorable response...

The only thing I haven't seen any comments on is oxygen...  Do you have an Rx for home oxygen therapy?  If used properly you should be able to knock down a CH to a pain free state in an average of 7 minutes... Much less if you start the oxygen therapy at the first sign of an approaching attack.

The fact that your CH patterns have changed is actually a good sign... even with the up-tic in frequency of your CH.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1854 - May 25th, 2014 at 3:24am

Batch

Thank you sir for all of your help. I have faith but it is tough when it's 0300 again and I am coming off of a 8-9 worst one yet this cycle.

I do not have an RX for oxygen. I cannot even get into my PCP until end of June for her to tell me I can get a blood test. Yes I am getting a new PCP but am on the waiting list I until July for that.

I am all over the place with the dosage of D3

Not sure what to do

Take care

Todd

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1855 - May 25th, 2014 at 10:35pm

TG,

Off hand I'd say you might want to consider taking up welding...  at least the oxygen cylinder and regulator part of oxyacetylene welding... 

You'll need a good non-rebreathing oxygen mask and you can pick up a great ClusterO2 Kit at the CH.com store at the right for $23.  These kits have a 3-liter reservoir bag and they last...

Most welding supply outlets will charge you the replacement cost of an oxygen cylinder... usually around $240 for a fully charged M-size (3995 liters)...  After that you drop off the empty and pick up a fully charged cylinder for around $35.  A good O2 welding regulator goes for around $40...

Just don't tell them how you intend to use the oxygen...  If they ask, you already have the rest of the welding system and you're taking up metal sculpting as a new hobby.

If you use the latest procedures for oxygen therapy with hyperventilation on room air...  you'll consume 16 to 24 liters of oxygen for each abort...

Regarding the maverick head banger hits...  The next time you feel one coming on, pop 3 to 4 of the 5,000 IU vitamin D3 liquid softgel capsules between your back teeth and hold the contents between you cheek and gums for 20 minutes without swallowing or drinking any fluids...

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2014 at 10:36pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1856 - May 28th, 2014 at 5:48am

next update: 5/25 started the right magnesium had a PFD and PFN.
since then I have had pain free days but getting hit 2 times a night mild hits 2-3 but still unable to sleep through them. All take away by monster and ice packs and pushups as needed.

Batch I have tried the biting 2-3 D3s before and during a hit with little or no positive results.

5/27 mailed off  in home D3 test

Today is two weeks into the regime. Taking anywhere from 20k - 30k IU of D3 a day
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2014 at 5:50am by tgdurst »  

IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1857 - May 30th, 2014 at 8:00am

5/30 Coming off of my worst headache yet. 8-9 maybe 9-10 I made the mistake of trying to go back to sleep this morning and I paid for it. This one will not go away either. 2+ hours into it.

another 50K IU of D3 this morning. This just is not working for me here. Test results should be back next Mon-Tues

Update: back from patient first my first trip to an ER for pain this headache was unrelenting they put me on o2 which knocked the pain down but as soon as I left the pain was back. I got a RX for sumatriptan which has kicked in and I can now sit. Not fun
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2014 at 11:10am by tgdurst »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1858 - May 30th, 2014 at 1:38pm

Todd,

Sorry you're having such a rough time... The trip to the ER proves you need an Rx for home oxygen therapy...  That... or take up welding...

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2014 at 1:39pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1859 - May 30th, 2014 at 3:43pm

Thanks Batch. I just got back from the welding store and my mask should be here tomorrow. For tonight I will use my son's from his asthma nebilizer.

IP Logged

TheAndyT
CH.com Junior

Love is our resistance...

North Hollywood, California
Reply #1860 - Jun 1st, 2014 at 4:08pm

Hello Batch and my fellow clusterheads. Haven't been on in a while so catching up with the thread. Smiley  BATCH!Bravo sir and congratulations!! Smiley I am so happy and excited to read about your experiences at the AAN. This was the great news I was waiting for. It is because of your extraordinary efforts that so many of us have been able to conquer this demon. I owe so much to you for getting me through this and giving me my life back. For all the people that are new to the regimen I say, don't give up and battle the beast, the light is at the end of the tunnel. This regimen was the only thing that worked for me after so many drugs and I continue the PF pattern.  Thank you all, Batch for your att. and PF days for all

-Andy

Life's roughest storms prove the strength of our anchors

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #1861 - Jun 1st, 2014 at 6:08pm

Great news Andy, 4 years pain free here.....hoping it's forever! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

TheAndyT
CH.com Junior

Reply #1862 - Jun 1st, 2014 at 7:29pm

Thanks for the kind words, Joe, likewise Smiley

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1863 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 1:47pm

Hey Todd,

Good move on the welding supplies...  You need to get your son started on the same anti-inflammatory regimen...  See the following links for details of how vitamin D3 reduces and in most cases eliminates asthma attacks.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I have my entire family on the anti-inflammatory regimen including my wife who no longer suffers from migraine headaches, my three kids, their spouses and six soon to be seven grand kids...

When you get your home oxygen kit ready, here's the latest procedure and breathing technique you should use to abort your CH.

It's called oxygen therapy with hyperventilation - essentially hyperventilating on room air at forced vital capacity tidal volumes for 30 seconds followed by a lung full of 100% oxygen that's held for another 30 seconds.

Take off the face mask as you'll be breathing directly from the 22 mm nipple on the green "T" manifold or mouthpiece as shown below.  You'll also need to adjust the oxygen regulator so it fills the 3 liter reservoir bag completely in one minute...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You'll also need to cup the T-manifold exhaust port in the palm of your hand and press the open breathing port to your cheek or chin when not inhaling from it to keep oxygen from escaping and let the reservoir bag fill while you're hyperventilating with room air.

Start by standing to give your diaphragm full range of movement... This is important as standing during this procedure ventilates the lungs more completely.  Lean against a wall if you get dizzy while using this method of oxygen therapy.  If you get too dizzy, sit erect in a chair.

The next step is exhale forcibly through your mouth until if feels like your lungs are empty...  they're not...  Do an abdominal crunch like doing sit-ups and hold the squeeze until your exhaled breath makes a wheezing sound for a couple seconds.

It sounds terrible but it's an important part of this method of aborting a CH with oxygen...  This forced exhalation breathing technique will squeeze out another half to a full liter of exhaled breath.  This last volume of exhaled breath has the highest CO2 concentration.

Then without delay, throw your shoulders back and inhale room air as rapidly and deeply as possible until you can't inhale any more.

Again without any delay, use the forced exhalation technique.  Keep repeating this sequence as fast as possible with room air for 30 seconds.  You should be able to complete 10 of these complete cycles in 30 seconds.

At the end of the 30 seconds exhale forcibly one more time and hold the squeeze for a good 5 seconds...  Then place the ClusterO2 kit "T" manifold breathing port to your lips and inhale a lung full of 100% oxygen and hold it for 30 seconds.  I know it's difficult, but try to relax at this point.  Place the breathing port on the ClusterO2 kit to your cheek or chin with the palm of your hand over the exhalation port to form a gas tight seal in order to inflate the reservoir bag for the next breath of oxygen.

If you're doing this breathing technique properly, you'll start feeling the symptoms of paresthesia and a slight dizziness...  The symptoms of paresthesia include a very slight tingling/prickling of the face, lips, and fingertips.  This is the best indication you've pushed your body into respiratory alkalosis.

At the end of the 30 seconds exhale into the room then repeat the above sequence until the pain is completely gone... 

Be sure to practice this procedure for a few cycles before the cluster beast attacks...

If your start this procedure at the first sign of an approaching CH attack, you should be able to abort the attack in four minutes or less...  If the CH hits while sleeping and is well established or rising, start this procedure as fast as possible.  It will work effectively through pain level 9, (Kip 9), it will just take longer.

The following chart from the pilot study of the demand valve method of oxygen therapy for rapid CH aborts illustrates the increase in abort times as the pain level increases.

Oxygen therapy with hyperventilation is just as fast and effective.  It also uses a lot less oxygen so it works very well with low flow rate oxygen regulators.

Take care and please keep me posted...

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2014 at 2:10pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #1864 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 8:02pm

Got through another Autumn and no CHs  Smiley

Hoppy.

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #1865 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 3:13am

Best to remember that the D3 regime is a treatment, not a cure. There are likely other factors than can contribute to clusters that we are still not aware of yet. D3 is just one of the weapons one should be using when dealing with the beast.

IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1866 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 2:58pm

Well I thought I was out of the woods. Turns out I might just see the edge. 3 days 2 nights pain free then got hit both a mild hit at work today. Ice probably could have got rid of it but I hit some oxygen when I got home. Still a little linger in the eye. I am on 30k a day of D3. I did an extra 20k when I got home after oxygen. I'll check back in soon. Hopefully pain free next time. Take care everyone.

IP Logged

3-foot
CH.com Junior

Davisburg, Michigan
Reply #1867 - Jun 7th, 2014 at 8:56pm

I had a physical in January. If I am reading the results correctly (jpg) my 25(oh)d was 10. I was not in cycle at the time, in fact I was near the end of a 3 year remission. I started a new cycle in mid April and just got around to reading this thread. Needless to say I am starting on the vitamins as soon as I can stock them.

This may have been covered, I haven't read all 75 pages yet, but how is this effected by taking Verapamil? I was on a 360 mg dose and tapered off ending last week. I've had a very bad week since and began to taper back up today.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1868 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 2:52am

3-Foot,

No question about it... you were clearly vitamin D3 deficient at the time of that lab test.  If you haven't taken any supplemental vitamin D3 or spent any time in the mid day sun clad in a bathing suit without sun block... your 25(OH)D serum concentration will not have changed.

The following table lists the supplements and doses needed in the anti-inflammatory regimen.

The following photo illustrates the supplements I take that meet the requirements in the table above.  I buy most of them at Costco...  I buy the super K and vitamin B 50 over the Internet from Amazon.

The vitamin B 50 is not shown in the photo above.

You're a good candidate for the accelerated vitamin D3 loading schedule.  This will build your 25(OH)D serum concentration rapidly but at a measured pace.

Start the anti-inflammatory regimen at 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 for a couple days just to make sure there's no reaction to any of the supplement then proceed with the loading schedule below.

The following loading schedule totals 700,000 IU of vitamin D3 over a 4-week period.  That should result in a 25(OH)D serum concentration response of 70 ng/mL on top of your starting serum concentration of 25(OH)D at 10 ng/mL. 

At the end of the 4-week loading schedule, try to get another lab test for 25(OH)D.  You should be up around 80 ng/mL at that point which will make 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 a good maintenance dose.

Week 1 - 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3
Week 2 - 25,000 IU/day vitamin D3
Week 3 - 15,000 IU/day vitamin D3
Week 4 - 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3

Be sure to take all the other supplements daily.  Magnesium is the most important cofactor. 

Regarding the verapamil...  The only possible interaction comes from the calcium which can lower verapamil's effectiveness.  The Mature Multi is formulated with 220 mg of calcium so that shouldn't impact verapamil as long as you separate the dosing time for verapamil and Mature Multi by 10 to 12 hours.

I'd take the verapamil in the morning and the entire anti-inflammatory regimen with the evening meal.  This will also improve vitamin D3 absorption.

Please feel free to ask questions...

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2014 at 12:36pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1869 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 3:03am

Hey Todd,

Hang in there...  You've started to respond to the vitamin D3 so it's just a matter of time as you build 25(OH)D reserved to a therapeutic level before going pain free.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

TheAndyT
CH.com Junior

Reply #1870 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 9:00pm

tgdurst...hand in there. I worked for me after some time. PF days ahead and good luck!

-Andy

IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1871 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 10:22am

Quick update.. Mostly pain free. I have headaches that lasted all day that feel like sinus/allergy headaches like i get during the summer. They are not cluster headaches but I do feel the pressure mainly on my left side (or I fear it to be only on the left side) .. so all in all I am good. Still taking 30k D3 for now because that is what seems to work. Test should be back tomorrow or Monday for D3 levels. Thanks to you all.. Take care

Update
Worked out last night got a headache last night. Easy one but could not sleep through it. I know I am close but it's frustrating as hell.

« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2014 at 3:48am by tgdurst »  

IP Logged

3-foot
CH.com Junior

Davisburg, Michigan
Reply #1872 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 12:18pm

Batch,

I started my dosage on Monday. I sourced the suppliments locally and getting the exact levels is difficult but I imagine as long as it is in the ball park it will work. Anyway here is my current dosage:

D-3 11000 IU (26000IU wk 1)
OMEGA 3 690 mg EPA 330/DHA 220
Calcium citrate 1000 mg
Magnesium citrate 400 mg
K2 (mk-7) 120 mg
Vitamin A Retinyl Palmitate 10000 IU
ZINC 30 mg
Boron 3mg

Vitamin B 50 Complex:
B1 50 mg
B2 50 mg
B3 50 mg
Folic Acid 400 mg
B12 50 mg
Biotin 50 mg
Pantothenic Acid 50 mg
PABA 50 mg
Choline bitartrate 50 mg
Inositol 50 mg

It is beginning to work, here is a snippet from my headache diary:

5/24-6/07

My hopes of a quick ending to this episode have died. I’ve been battling nightly wake ups three to four a night. For the most part the O2 will keep them to the K6-7 range and abort in 15 to 20 minutes. I ran out of oxygen during an early morning headache on 5/31 and it quickly escalated to a K9 and for the first time ever involved vomiting. Imitrex ended that eventually but it was one of the top two worst ever. The duration was one of the longest I’ve experienced. The O2 supply store is really dropping the ball. I have no other options unfortunately. On 6/1 the oxygen was replaced but only E tanks were available, which means 8 liters max. I have been burning through it at a very quick pace. I had to go get it myself.

6/6/14 Friday

I finally got the M tank back and can use the full 15 liter flow. I stopped the Verapamil, tapering down over the week of 5/25 to 6/4. I can’t handle the side effects any longer. We celebrated our 10 year anniversary today with dinner and drinks. The drinks were a mistake. I burned through an E tank at the hotel in one night.

6/8/14 Sunday

I’ve been reading about the D3 anti-inflammatory regimen and after reviewing my blood work from January 28 I fit the pattern perfectly.  I began today with 10,000IU of D3 and a dose of Omega 3 that we had on hand. I don’t have the co-factor supplements yet. I will be picking them up tomorrow. Nightly hits continue in the K7 range and every few hours. I have had pain free days for most of the cycle, although lately shadows are lingering in the morning until lunch time.

6/9/14 Monday Day 1

I started a full 10k dose of D3 today with the co-factors. I hope to see results sooner rather than later. I had a good massage and a hot shower which helped me feel great for the rest of the day. Nothing else has changed. I fear going to sleep but I fall asleep from exhaustion easily.

6/10/14 Tuesday Day 2

Last night the hits continued their normal pattern of every few hours but the pain level dropped a bit to K5-6 instead of K6-7. I waste little time in getting to the oxygen mask. The aborts seemed to come sooner although it could be wishful thinking. I am pain free this morning and afternoon, no shadows at all. 

With no side effects from the first full dose I upped to the loading dose of 50k IU D3 with the full set of co-factors remaining at the normal levels. I am dosing at lunch, my heaviest and most fat containing meal. Urine is bright yellow as I expected and a bit cloudy.  One week of 50k and I will begin to taper back to 10k by the end of week four.

6/11/14 Wednesday Day 3

Last night’s first wake up was at 3:50 am and was a bit milder than normal (K5), after six hours of sleep. A second came about two hours later and was at the usual (K7). No shadows at all today.

6/12/14 Thursday Day 4

I had only one wake up over night at 5 am and at a K5 level. That is a 23 hour pain free stretch. A slight shadow followed until I had my coffee the rest of the day has been pain free so far.

6/13/14 Friday Day 5

The regimen is working. I got a full night sleep. The alarm clock woke me up at 5:45 am and by 6 am I had a K1 shadow which I eventually eliminated with a hit of oxygen. Since then the day has been pain free as usual.

IP Logged

sue_g
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Gananoque|Canada||0|0|ON,Ontario
Reply #1873 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 2:38pm

Hi Batch and All,
Still continue to be pf, I need to understand more about the PTH levels and its effects.

25(OH)D Test Results so far:

Date:      (nmol/L)       (ng/ml)      PTH (pmol/L)
Sept 25      86                34.4
Oct 11      170                68
Nov 8        373             149.2
Dec 18      155              62          3.1
Mar 18      184               73.6       3.7
Jun 11       182              72.8       3.7

I need to research about the PTH.  Other than that, I seem to be on track.
Thanks as always Batch Smiley

Tomorrow will be better!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1874 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 7:12pm

Hey Sue,

Great news, great lab results and a great question.  In order to better understand the relationship between vitamin D3 metabolism and PTH you also need lab tests for serum calcium as you'll see below.

The pharmacokinetics of vitmamin D3 (what the body does to vitamin D3) is fascinating.  Once vitamin D3 is metabolized to 25(OH)D in the liver, the 25(OH)D travels along two separate paths of metabolism.

In the first path, called the endocrine path, 25(OH)D is further metabolized to 1,25(OH)3D3 by the kidneys.  This path is tightly controlled by calcium homeostasis, the mechanism that controls serum calcium concentrations to maintain it in a very narrow range.

This is also where the parathyroids and their hormone, PTH, come into play.  If the serum calcium concentration is near the low end of the normal reference range or below, the parathyroids sense this condition and increase production of PTH. 

The increased serum concentration of PTH signals the kidneys to increase the rate of metabolism of 25(OH)D to 1,25(OH)2D3, the active hormonal form of vitamin D3. The increased serum concentration of 1,25(OH)2D3 pulls more calcium from the gut and transports it into blood serum to increase its serum concentration.

If the serum calcium concentration is near the upper end of its normal reference range, the parathyroids sense this condition and down-regulate or suppress production of PTH.  This slows metabolism of 25(OH)D to 1,25(OH)2D3 in the kidneys so less calcium is pulled from the gut.

Again, the above discussion covers the endocrine path of vitamin D3 metabolism and how it sustains calcium homeostasis  along with maintenance of bone mineral density.  From a life sustaining standpoint, this is the most important path... 

Not enough vitamin D3 means insufficient 25(OH)D and that results in serum calcium concentrations dropping below the normal reference range...  When that happens... bone mineral density suffers, nerve cells don't fire properly, calcium channels break down and the wheels come off... In other words, health declines rapidly...

The second path of vitamin D3 metabolism gets really exciting.  This is called the autocrine or autocrine/exocrine path that results in genetic expression...

In the autocrine path of vitamin D3 metabolism, the 25(OH)D produced by the liver is metabolized extrarenal (outside the kidneys) at the cellular, nuclear and genetic level throughout the body. 

For CH'ers, when 25(OH)D is metabolized in nerve cells within the trigeminal ganglion, this is where the magic occurs resulting in a cessation or reduction of CH symptoms.

The following graphic illustrates the two paths of vitamin D3 metabolism.  As you can see roughly 20% of the 25(OH)D produced in the liver travels along the endocrine path and 80% along the autocrine path.

In the autocrine path of vitamin D3 metabolism, 25(OH)D enters the cell wall where the the same enzyme, 1-α hydroxylase, that adds another hydroxyl ion [OH]- at the 1st position on the vitamin D3 molecule in the kidneys, does the same thing within the cell. 

As a side note, the 1-α hydroxylase enzyme requires magnesium and some of the other vitamin D3 cofactors to function properly.

Within the cell nucleus at the genetic level, 1,25(OH)2D3 combines with retinol (vitamin A) to form a 2-molecule chain polymer, (dimer), that attaches to a vitamin D receptor (VDR) at one end on one part of the gene and a retinoid X receptor (RXR) at the other end on another part of that gene.  When this happens, the cell's genetic library of instructions are opened and the cell begins to follow these instructions...

The following graphic illustrates bonding of the vitamin D3-vitamin A dimer to a gene at a vitamin D response element (VDRE).  This is a DNA sequence that is found in the promoter region of vitamin D regulated genes...

The leading theory on the role of vitamin D3 in preventing cluster and migraine headaches deals with the autocrine path of vitamin D3 metabolism.  This is where 1,25(OH)2D3 and vitamin A (retinol) signal the nerve cell to down-regulate calcitonin gene-regulated peptide (CGRP).   CGRP has been found elevated during the pain phase of CH and migraines.

Molecular biologists and geneticists are just starting to peal back the onion skin layers when it comes to the role of vitamin D regulated genes... and the extent vitamin D3 plays in our overall health.

A 2010 study identified 2776 genomic positions occupied by the VDR and 229 genes with significant changes in expression in response to vitamin D...  Cluster headache is only one of these...

Hope this helps answer the mail...

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2014 at 3:43pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!