Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 441124 times)
tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #2500 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 9:02am

Hey Batch and everyone. I am back after my 3 year break from these headaches. I've taken my D3 every day religiously but in the last 2 weeks I've had shadows. Today I got hit with a "nice" 5-6 headache while at work.

I just sent in my latest D3 test and am waiting on the results to come back. Last year at this time I was at a 102ng/mL.

I noticed you added Benadryl to the batch now. I started that when I got home today. Benadryl puts me to sleep, any way to combat this?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2501 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 3:17am

Hey TG,

Thanks for the update and good question.  It's hard to believe the spring pollen season is almost upon us depending where you live...  An early pollen bloom could easily be the culprit that pushed you out of CH remission even with a constant maintenance dose of vitamin D3.

I've found Children's Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) Allergy Relief Cherry Flavored Liquid works effectively with less drowsiness due to the lower dose.  12.5 mg (5 mL in the measuring cap) at bed time should do the trick.  If you need more, take 12.5 mg when you're home and done driving for the day then another 12.5 mg prior to bed.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

aceserve
CH.com Veteran

Salem, Oregon
Reply #2502 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 3:50pm

Hello Batch,

I am just getting out of a CH cycle, and am starting the Vitamin D regimen today. I think I am pretty much out of the cycle though had a residual CH (2 or 3 on the pain scale) after some red wine last night. No more red wine for me for quite some time, going forward. My question is, since my CH cycle really exited at the end of February, does it make sense to start with 10,000 IU dose instead of megaloading? I am also taking the calcium, fish oil and Mature Multi that I bought in Costco. I couldn't find the Super K. Thank you for pioneering this treatment. All best, Andrew (aka Ace)

Ahhh, what a relief to be pain free. Hang in there. Good times are comin'.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2503 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 9:38pm

Hey Andrew/Ace,

Good move starting the anti-inflammatory regimen...  You won't be sorry...  Even if it appears your CH cycle is ending, there are two very good reasons for doing this. 

The first is if you stay on this regimen year-round, the odds of sailing through your next regularly scheduled CH cycle being a non-event, a.k.a., no CH, are very high.  The second is a boatload of health benefits that start with a T-Rex immune system that will minimize infections (colds, flu, shingles and the list goes on), cardiovascular and brain health, fewer aches, minimal skeletal pain and your prostate will love you...

These are not idle claims...  To see a list of 78 health conditions prevented or treated with vitamin D3 along with the RCTs and CTs providing the medical evidence, check out the following link at VitaminDWiki:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Regarding the Super K... I buy it over Amazon and usually order four of the 90 count bottles for a year's supply.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2017 at 9:38pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

aceserve
CH.com Veteran

Salem, Oregon
Reply #2504 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 10:16am

Thank you for the additional information, Batch. I suppose, since I am now out of the cycle, that I will start with 10,000 IUs of vitamin D3 instead of the loading dosage. I expect I will have many months in which I can build up the D-levels in my body before the next cycle comes a-callin'. Does that make sense? I had a blood test yesterday right before I started the regimen, and asked that they do the Vitamin D test. Best, Andrew

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #2505 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 1:02pm

Hi Andrew,
The is no fear to be had with megaloading.
Yes it seems that you might not need to megaload, however it is very likely that you are highly deficient in Vit D, so bringing your levels up that bit quicker will have you at therapeutic levels sooner. You could take 20000 iu/day D3 until you have taken 600000iu then drop to 10000iu/day.
I recently took 500000iu/day for 10 days and have only felt benefits. Even now i take 20000/day + 50000 on one of the days because i know that spring is the time i would be stating a cycle.
All the best
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2017 at 1:03pm by thierry »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2506 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 2:16pm

Hey Andrew,

You're correct.  There's no need for the vitamin D3 loading schedule if the CH beast has stopped jumping ugly for this cycle.

The average time course 25(OH)D response to a vitamin D3 dose of 10,000 IU/day should follow the solid black line in the following chart.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I say "average" response as there can be a wide variation in actual 25(OH)D time course response.  It's actually a fascinating game of "Put" and "Take" with no score cared until your next lab test for 25(OH)D in six months. 

While you're putting 10,000 IU/day into your body to elevate the 25(OH)D serum concentration, there are several organs, fat cells, muscle cells, nerve cells and the microbiome (friendly symbiotic colonies of single cell bacteria and biota lining the gut from mouth to tail pipe) taking 25(OH)D out of the serum until they're saturated... 

In addition, your immune system's white blood cells can suck up the entire daily dose in one gulp for several days if it's fighting off an infection or inflammation caused by trauma from an injury or surgery...

If you look at the 25(OH)D response for the first 30 days, it is essentially linear.  After that it gradually starts to level off until it reaches a relatively stable equilibrium at five to six months. 

This leveling trend is due to vitamin D3 homeostasis, one of several homeostatic control mechanisms that the body uses to maintain certain physiological parameters in an optimum range.  What is happening during vitamin D3 homeostasis is 25(OH)D hydroxylation shifts from producing 1,25(OH)2D3 to producing 24,25(OH)2D3, an inactive vitamin D3 metabolite that is broken down and eliminated by the kidneys.

The fact that the normal human body temperature is 98.6º F is the result of another homeostatic control mechanism. The pH of our blood is also maintained between 7.35 and 7.45 by pH homeostasis.  It turns out that these sweet spots in body temperature and pH are where the body's biochemical reactions are most effective and productive.

Hope this helps.  The best course of action is to stay on this regimen year round.  The health benefits are hard to argue so don't forget the rest of your family.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #2507 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 8:25am

Hi Batch, great post again, thank you. It is because of the D3 gobblers that i was suggesting that Andrew takes 20000iu/day, especially as he might be quite D deficient.
All the best
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2017 at 8:26am by thierry »  

IP Logged

aceserve
CH.com Veteran

Salem, Oregon
Reply #2508 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 11:39am

Thank you Batch and Thierry. Much appreciated. I will keep you posted. Best, Andrew

IP Logged

Radar63
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

UK
Reply #2509 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 6:36am

Good morning Batch and fellow C/Hers

I hope you are all receiving the undoubted benefit of Batch's/our regimen.  Each year I have come back to the board as my early indicators show to me that a cluster is about to start.  This year I came back a little earlier.  I use the maintenance dose year round and benefit from it in terms of energy and resilience to illness.  I started taking Nytol (diphenhydramine 25mg broken in half) twice a day.  I also noted the updated enhanced regime with Cur cumin, Vit C and have changed to the mature multi vit from separate tablets.  Usually by now my headaches have kicked in, I have two really bad weeks then they settle down to a routine.  However this year I am having all the daytime signs, i.e dry mouth, shadows and some muscle tiredness, with absolutely no pain.  Bizarrely usually before a headache season starts I have inflammation around where I had my vasectomy (many years ago) and mouth ulcers, none of which I have had this year (yet!). 

I know all the local CHers have started as my O2 delivery chap came to do the health and safety inspection of my tanks last Saturday and told me that all of his other CHers are now sucking down lots of oxygen and he wanted to know why I was not.  Now here in the UK he is not allowed to share any details, not even take a flyer from me about this blog, however I have written to the lead consultant at the head ache centre at our regional hospital to give him the details, in the hope it will be shared.

I have had my 25 OH(D3) seruml level checked, it is 295 nmol/litre, with Batch's help in recent years I know my therapeutic level is above 250 nmol/l.  So I go into the next month or so with fingers crossed and keep taking my large number of tablets considering setting up a support group locally to help those that are emptying their tanks.

Every year for 20 years I have been hit at this time, my life became liveable because of Batch's post, even if they do break through I know that they will last for shorter times and be less painful than they could be. 

So once again Batch I cannot thank you enough, having a positive impact on individual lives and therefore their families as well is truly the best thing we can hope for in this world, Batch you do that for all of us.

Kind regards
Ian
Cornwall, UK

IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2510 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 11:00am

Checking in prior to my test results coming back. They received them on the 12th so should be any day now. I must be missing something, or something is using all of my D3. I've been loading 50k iu D3 every morning and yesterday got hit with the most CHs I've had in a long time. 5 total 3 at night enough to get me out of bed but all very mild (so I should not complain).

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2511 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 10:13pm

Hey TG,

Sorry the beast is jumping ugly even with th 50,000 loading doses...  This is a classic indication of an allergic reaction.  Pick up some Liquid Children's Allergy Medicine (Diphenhydramine HCL)  12.5 mg in the morning and another 12.5 mg prior to bed.  Even at the lower dose the Diphenhydramine HCL can make you drowsy so be very careful in you need to drive during the day.

If you need to be sharp as a tack during the day, take the first dose as soon as you're home for the day and the second prior to bed.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2017 at 8:59am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2512 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 10:41am

Ian,

Thank you for a wonderful post.  It's always good to hear CHers are continuing to experience a CH pain free response to the anti-inflammatory regimen. 

I'm preparing for the 20th Vitamin D Workshop in Orlando, FL 28-31 March and it helps to have the kind of followup information you provided.

I just took a download harvest from the online survey database of CHers taking this regimen to prevent their CH.  The good news is the year after year, raw average percentage of CHers experiencing favorable response in the first 30 days has inched up from 81.3% to 82.3% and the pain free response in the first 30 days from 54% to 56%.

The really great news is the response rate for 2016 is phenomenal.  93.3% of CHers who responded to this survey in 2016 experienced a significant reduction in the frequency, severity and duration of their CH. 

To put this in perspective,  The consensus of several published RCTs indicate 70% of ECH and CCH patients have substantial improvement with verapamil  therapy.  The anti-inflammatory regimen is beating that figure by 20%.  Moreover, less than 7% of CHers experience a complete cessation of CH symptoms with verapamil... 

Hello! The online survey data for 2016 indicates 70% of CHers taking the anti-inflammatory regimen experience a lasting cessation of CH symptoms in less than 30 days.

I attribute this increase in efficacy to:
  • Improved availability of the treatment protocol
  • Compliance (CHers following the treatment protocol more carefully
  • Starting the 2-Week vitamin D3 loading schedule
  • Taking a first-generation antihistamine like Diphenhydramine HCL (Benadryl) after a week on this regimen without a favorable response

In order to improve access to the anti-inflammatory regimen treatment protocol even further you can download a pdf copy of the most recent version from VitaminDWiki by pasting the following URL in your browser or email to another CHer.

For high-tech CHers, you can scan the following QR code with your smart phone and it will download a pdf copy of this regimen to your smart phone.  It will come in handy when you shop for supplements.

The smart phone QR Code scanner app is free.  It downloads and installs in less than 15 seconds.

Take care and thanks again.

V/R, Batch

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2017 at 11:11am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2513 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 6:32pm

Hey Batch thanks. I think I am actually battling a sinus infection at this time.    JUST CONFIRMED with my DR.

My latest results.

03/21/2017 (ng/mL)85

Hit last night with an uncharacteristic headache. This headache still woke me up an hour after going to sleep and most of the pain was on my bad side, but this headache lasted a good 3+ hours. I threw O2 at it, more D3, Monsters everything and it just kind of hung around. I finally took an old expired sumatriptan oral pill and that put me to sleep. I'd love to write it off as sinus (my teeth hurt on both sides) and or stress but I just dont know
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2017 at 3:40pm by tgdurst »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2514 - Mar 23rd, 2017 at 12:17pm

TG,

Roger sinus infection... With a 25(OH)D serum concentration at 85 ng/mL, you can still take a 50,000 IU/day vitmain D3 loading dose for two days then drop back to your maintenance dose.

I'll still wager a Coke & Candy Bar it's an allergy and you'll regain your CH PF status by taking Children's Allergy Liquid Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL).  12.5 mg (5 mL in the measuring cap) in the morning and another 12.5 mg at night before bed.

Try to keep the liquid in your mouth for at least 5 minutes swirling it between cheeks and gums and under the tongue..  This will get this first-gen antihistamine into your bloodstream faster than through the GI tract.  It's very sweet.

If there's no joy after a week of liquid Benadryl, I'd start loading vitamin C at 1,000 mg every two hours for at least a week.  Vitamin C is water soluble with a half-life of 30 minutes as most of it is pumped over the side by kidneys in urine. 

I'd also add 500 mg/day curcumin... It is another potent natural anti-inflammatory agent

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2017 at 12:58pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2515 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 10:43am

Batch

Thanks I have included the Benadryl and am still getting hit at night with 2-4 light headaches (enough to wake me up and hit the O2 or drink monster). I will up the dose to the adult dosage to see if that helps.

Thanks
Todd

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #2516 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 2:34pm

Todd,

When necessary I use 50mg Benadryl.

As it makes you quite "groggy" at that dosage I always take it last thing at night. It's certainly not advisable to drive or operate machinery.

Best,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2517 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 2:43pm

Thanks Peter I will give that a shot tonight. I've been outside all day in the new pollen I am sure I will need it anyway.

Take Care

Todd

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2518 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 5:32pm

Todd,

If there's no joy after a week of taking Benadryl (Diphenhydramien HCL), start taking Vitamin C.  Taking 1000 mg vitamin C every two hours throughout the day should help.  Vitamin C is water soluble. It takes an hour to reach Cmax and as it's rapidly eliminated by the kidneys, its half-life is 30 minutes.  That means you can safely take a 1000 mg tablet every 1 to 2 hours throughout the day without running into bowel tolerance.

The medical world is just starting to understand what Dr. Linus Pauling was trying to tell them about vitamin C's many benefits.

NPR: Doctor Successfully Uses Holistic Treatment (Vitamin C) For Deadly Sepsis! Boom!
By Erin Elizabeth - March 24, 2017

As a side note, Dr. Linus Pauling had many critics when he said treating atherosclerosis and cancer with vitamin C infusions would be beneficial...  They included the American Medical Association, American Heart Association, American Cancer Society and Big Pharma. 

If there's an ironic side to this story, Linus Pauling had two more Individual Nobel Prizes (Chemistry and Nuclear Proliferation) than any of his critics.  Moreover, he'd outlived nearly all his vocal critics when he passed away at the age of 93.  He took 12 to 15 grams of vitamin C a day for many years.

Adding 500 mg/day curcumin wouldn't hurt either.  Curcumin is a potent, natural anti-inflammatory agent.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2017 at 5:38pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

tgdurst
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2519 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 9:51am

Back for my update. I am still getting hit every night I have since added 500 mg/day curcumin and I take Benadryl upon waking and a large dose at night.

I will be trying the Vitamin C starting today. Not sure what else to do.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #2520 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 6:26pm

You could try adding Kudzu powder to the regimen, brand name Samsara, one scoop 3x/day in a cup of tea or coffee is known to help, in some folk.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2521 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 9:57pm

Hey Todd,

With your last lab for 25(OH)D at 85 ng/mL, you've got plenty of room to maneuver with higher doses of vitamin D3.

I just spent 4 days in Orlando, FL at the 20th Vitamin D Workshop attended by vitamin D3 experts from all over the world.  Attendees included molecular biologists, geneticists, physicians, nutritionists and scientists in a who's who list of the world's top vitamin D3 experts.

While there was no clear consensus on what constitutes an optimum therapeutic dose of vitamin D3 for non-skeletal disorders and diseases, there was sufficient evidence presented that sustained intakes of vitamin D3 at doses >40,000 IU/day was safe and that maintaining 25(OH)D serum concentrations >100 ng/mL was also safe. 

Of course the above statement includes the proviso that long term vitamin D3 doses and 25(OH)D serum concentrations this high require frequent labs for serum total calcium and PTH.

I spent a good bit of time discussing this topic with Patrick McCullough, the principal investigator (PI) for the following study.

Results of daily oral dosing with up to 60,000 international units (iu) of vitamin D3 for 2 to 6 years in 3 adult males.

Accordingly, two days loading vitamin D3 at 50,000 IU/day and bumping your vitamin D3 maintenance dose up to 15,000 IU/day might just do the trick.

The vitamin C taken at 1000 mg every two hours throughout the day is a very natural way of treating infections.  If you haven't already done so, starting a good probiotic has also proved helpful for CHers with problems like yours. 

Scientists are just starting to realize the importance of the friendly symbiotic colonies of bacteria and microbiota living in the GI tract called the microbiome.  There are just as many microbiota in the gut as cells in the human body and the genetic diversity of the microbiome is far more than the human genome.  Although many of the experts call the microbiome another organ with untold functions yet to be discovered, the general consensus is a happy gut is a healthy gut.

If you decide to increase you vitamin D3 intake, please discuss this with your PCP or neurologist so you can schedule the needed labs.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2017 at 7:52am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #2522 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 4:12am

Batch, If vitamin D helps calcium absorption to your bones and vitamin K2 does the same, why take both?

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2017 at 6:23am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #2523 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 6:13pm

Hey Hoppy, if i understand right, K2 stops the calcium depositing in the veins and arteries, it directs the calcium towards the bones.

All the best

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #2524 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 12:12am

Thanks Thierry, Oh so confusing! I take Swiss vitamin D 1000iu + K2 45mcg x 5/day. So, I just thought it weird both being in the same pill, because when you read on separate label brands, they both state they do the same thing! Get calcium too the bones, nothing about arteries, or veins.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!