Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 444490 times)
Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #750 - May 4th, 2012 at 4:11pm

"I wish they all could be California girls..."

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Woo Hoo...  Way to go Amy !!!

Now that you've been taking vitamin D3 and the rest of the supplements in the anti-inflammatory regimen without any adverse reaction...  Try a loading dose of 50,000 IU/day one day a week and take the basic regimen the rest of the week until you go PF...  You can split the vitamin D3 dose with 25,000 IU in the morning and 25,000 IU at night before bed. 

Once you go PF you can skip the loading dose...  I suspect you'll be PF before you get the results of your 25(OH)D lab test back from your doc.  Make sure you get the actual serum concentration of 25(OH)D from her.  As Bill pointed out... some CH'ers with active CH have tested as high as 55 ng/mL.

Don, You and I go back a long way in trying to control the beast...  You're spot on that the anti-inflammatory regimen isn't a cure for cluster headaches... But it does control them effectively... 

With the exception of the intentional stress test I did on my 25(OH)D reserves by stopping this regimen completely for eight days until I got hit... I've been pain free since I started it in October of 2010.

That stress test told me I'm still a chronic CH'er...

If you start the regimen today and don't have an adverse reaction to any of the regimen supplements by Sunday, try a loading dose of 50,000 IU vitamin D3 on Sunday then take the basic regimen for the rest of the week.

If you're not PF by the following Sunday, take another loading dose then take the basic regimen for the rest of the week.  This should elevate your 25(OH)D to a therapeutic level and stop your CH... 

Try to get your doc to order you the lab test for 25(OH)D.  Knowing the serum concentration of 25(OH)D required to keep you pain free is something you'll want to know.  After that I think you'll find that staying on the basic regimen all the time is well worth the 20 cents a day expense...  Joyce and I are on this regimen for life...

As far as triggers go after you've gone PF on this regimen...  they should be ineffective...  Several CH'ers have reported doing the beer or wine test after going PF on this regimen...  and nothing happened.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you have any problems, you know how to get in touch with me.

Take care and please keep us posted...

V/R, Batch

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2012 at 4:19pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

-dvb-
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

New Jersey
Reply #751 - May 4th, 2012 at 4:35pm

superhawk2300,

Been on regimen since March. PF (well I guess mostly PF), still can't drink a beer...I keep trying though...

-dvb-

IP Logged

superhawk2300
CH.com Hall of Famer

New Berlin, WI
Reply #752 - May 4th, 2012 at 4:49pm

50,000! The guy at the health food store about shit a brick when I told him I was going to take 10,000 and then 20,000 if that didn't work. lol!

I am super stoked about this! I got today's dose in me already and the big load ready to go on Sunday. I'll report back soon.

I am looking forward to trying the "beer trigger test"!
Cheesy

WWW 1107217852  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #753 - May 5th, 2012 at 8:21am

Hey Don,

The vitamin D3 doses we're talking about here for CH are relatively small...  Some relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) sufferers take 100,000 IU/day vitamin D3 with a half-million IU loading dose... 

They also test their serum concentrations of 25(OH)D, calcium, magnesium and parathyroid hormone frequently to know when to cut back on the vitamin D3 dose before they reach vitamin D3 intoxication indicated by hypercalcaemia, or hypercalciuria...

Regarding the safety of the anti-inflammatory regimen at 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 with a weekly loading dose of 50,000 IU (Total of 120,000 IU/week vitamin D3) as a CH preventative... 

"During a 2010 study done at the Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands, Fifteen RRMS patients were supplemented with 20 000 IU/d vitamin D3 (140,000 IU/week) for 12 weeks. Vitamin D and calcium metabolism were carefully monitored, and T cell characteristics were studied by flowcytometry. All patients finished the protocol without side-effects, hypercalcaemia, or hypercalciuria. The median vitamin D status increased from 50 nmol/L (20 ng/mL) at week 0 to 380 nmol/L (152 ng/mL) at week 12 (P<0.001).

Conclusion/Significance  Twelve week supplementation of high dose vitamin D3 in RRMS patients was well tolerated and did not induce decompensation of calcium metabolism. The skewing towards an anti-inflammatory cytokine profile supports the evidence on vitamin D3 as an immune-modulator, and may be used as outcome measure for upcoming randomized placebo-controlled trials."

Hope this helps...  I also hope you pass the beer test once you've gone PF...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Radar63
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

UK
Reply #754 - May 5th, 2012 at 8:47am

Hi Batch
Have completed the test and posted, should get results next Thursday.  Got hit  4 times last night but relatively minor, thank you for the loading info, will do that Sunday and see what happens.  Many thanks once again.
Ian

IP Logged

Darkfire
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

MD, USA
Reply #755 - May 7th, 2012 at 1:45am

First I wanted to say my D level tested at 15. The Dr. put me on 50,000 units 3x a week for 3 months. It is D2 NOT D3 and eventually the side effects made me stop. I was on it for two months. My PDoc wanted me to take 3-4 grams of fish oil in addition to this. So for those worried about these doses I had two Drs. working on this even before we knew I had CH or was dxed with Migraines. (See my new here post for more if you like)

I am in cycle. I am miserable. I upped my D3 to 10,000 from 5,000 about a week or so ago intuitively and my energy increased and depression decreased. My cycle was not changed by D3 alone. I googled and ended up here. I read this thread (part of it) PM'd with Batch and went to Walmart. I am starting with 1 pill of fish oil as I am so sick to my stomach from coffee and water loading today. I am NOT taking a multi with k, boron, etc yet. It seems to effect my xanax and panic in a bad way.

I have no O2. I have limited state assisted insurance. So seeing my Neuro is not gonna happen right now. My abortives are a combo of reglan/toradol/zanaflex/tramadol. My prophylaxis med is Neurontin.

So this is my stash of supplements for now:

The D3 is 5,000. The calcium has a little in it too and 633 mgs of calcium. The Turmeric is for pain and my skin disorder. I am not even sure I remember why I am taking E other than my skin disorder.

I am not in pain right now. I am shadowed a little with a numb left side of face and slight droop to my left eye. I have a trashed cervical spine so weird numbness and things like my jaw spasming or snapping shut of it's own volition are a daily reality for me. Surgery isn't an option till after my SSDI court date in July.

Here's to hoping I get some sleep and am not back up in two hours. I wanted to thank Batch again. I was really hopeless earlier the pain was creeping up to 9 and my nine is different than KIP. I reach the 'why me' phase much faster than the KIP scale and a 10 is me being carried from my house by EMT's to the ER screaming so loud my neighbors thought it was a cat dying and thrashing against the hospital bed so hard my legs and arms sported bruises for two weeks. Yah 10 for me is worse than surgery. At least Dilaudid worked for surgical pain.

--DF

IP Logged

superhawk2300
CH.com Hall of Famer

New Berlin, WI
Reply #756 - May 7th, 2012 at 10:45am

OK Batch.

Day 1: 10,000 D3 with the other stuff as prescribed.

Day 2: upped 20,000 D3

Day 3: Upped to 50,000

Had to use abortives all 3 days so no difference yet with this stuff as far as pain goes.

There is a difference though. I think it is the fish oil; it gives me *terrible* gas; in quantity and quality. Anyone experience this and have any ideas what to do about it? I did try the last day taking the stuff with a meal, and that seemed to help some what.

Does time of day matter when dosing this stuff? Could they be taken right before bed instead of in the morning?

OK Mr. Batch, what next? Do I contuinue the 50,000 D3 loading dose for a while now while keeping the rest of the suppliments the same?

I have been a fan of D3 in the past; I actually had some on me already and would take it periodically when I felt sick so I wonder if I am/was low and if this will help me. Its been awhile so I am holding out with high (but diminishing slightly) hopes Smiley
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2012 at 10:46am by superhawk2300 »  
WWW 1107217852  
IP Logged

Darkfire
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

MD, USA
Reply #757 - May 7th, 2012 at 11:10am

I get the burpless kind of fish oil. Since I was taking it with just coffee and real cream. No gas as of yet. When I took liquid which is too expensive for me right now I didn't have an issue.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #758 - May 7th, 2012 at 11:47am

It took me 6 weeks of 20,000 i.u.'s per day to get my serum level to 55 ng/mL.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #759 - May 7th, 2012 at 1:06pm

Don,

Patience grasshopper...

Without the lab test for 25(OH)D, it's difficult to say how long it's going to take for a favorable response. 

As Bill indicated it can take up to six weeks at 20,000 IU/day vitamin D3 to elevate serum 25(OH)D concentration up to and near the lower end of the response range for CH at 60-110 ng/mL.  There are a lot of factors involved and the starting level of 25(OH)D is one of them...

The upper response curve dashed line in the chart below is just an estimate, but it should be close depending on your starting concentration of serum 25(OH)D.

At 20,000 IU/day and a 50,000 IU loading dose once a week, I'm guessing 10 days to two weeks ± 5 days for a significant reduction in the frequency and severity of your CH... 

Stick with the above dosing schedule for now.  20,000 IU/day should work just fine.  If there's still no response by next Sunday, take another loading dose.

Try to get the lab test for 25(OH)D so we can anchor the curve... 

Regarding when to take the regimen...  It really didn't matter for me...  I tried it mornings, evenings and split between them...  Your choice...  Taking the calcium citrate tablets with a glass of lemonade might help as this tends to elevate arterial pH a little.

Regarding the GI disturbance...  skip the Omega 3 Fish Oil for a few days and see what happens...  If that stops the jet propulsion...  try taking one Omega 3 softgel every other day. 

We have natural flora and fauna (bacteria) living in our GI tract that actually aid in digestion.  Too much of one type and not enough of the other could be the reason for the GI tract disturbance...  Giving the GI tract a little time to adapt may be all that's needed. 

If the Omega 3 softgels are still causing problems after a week to 10 days, it's dealer's choice whether to continue taking it or skipping this part of the regimen...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

superhawk2300
CH.com Hall of Famer

New Berlin, WI
Reply #760 - May 7th, 2012 at 5:13pm

Thanks a million Batch! I will continue the D3 at 20,000 per day with another loading dose at 50,000 on Sunday if nothing happens.

WWW 1107217852  
IP Logged

Darkfire
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

MD, USA
Reply #761 - May 8th, 2012 at 6:00am

woke up thank you alarm clock hit with another right side hit. WTF. Hey brain you are a left sider remember...Well it's gone now, no fade just poof gone. Right eye still not  perfect but nose is clear after crying for twenty minutes. So I upped the fish oil to two pills. Hubby bought me a bag of lemons for my ph level but they are hard as bricks, not even close to ripe. Since my first step this cycle is guzzling water I need to get some lemon in there. Then make coffee as soon as I can see, get my meds, then take my supps. This has been my last two or three days. I am not sleeping hardly at all at night. But being disabled and not working means I am lucky enough to be able to sleep when I can, when the pain goes away and I fall into bed exhausted. About ten am.  I know my PH is way off without the strips. My eating was horrible I was binging like mad thank you crazy psych meds. Soon as I upped my D3 I was in control. Hmmm something to this I think.

I have noticed little change except yesterday my alarm right side hit slithered over to the left side. Today no fade or slide just gone. So that is a plus.

So today

supps

10,000 units D3 - I may add another pill later if I keep getting hit

2 630 MG of calcium (so far the calcium isn't making the xanax not work. A big plus)

2 1200MG of fish oil (I have taken upwards of 5-6 G a day before without getting sick to my stomach. I think it's the D3 making me queasy.)

The thought of eating during or after a hit is impossible for me. I am using heavy cream in the coffee hoping it offers enough fat for the D3 to absorb. I can add coconut oil to it if I have to and Black Strap Molasses. Still not brave enough to go back on my multi yet. It destroyed the panic killing ability of my xanax last time.

IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #762 - May 8th, 2012 at 3:51pm

Hello all,
I was going to give this a shot but just had a quick question.  My doctor just put me on 50,000 units of D2,  2 weeks ago I take 1 pill on Each Friday only for 4 weeks.

Is D2 and D3 the same?  I also bought today Fish OIl, Magnesium and Zinc, I was already taking a multi vitamin and Calcium with D.  I have not seen a difference on the persription D alone does this mean there is no hope for me..

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #763 - May 8th, 2012 at 4:43pm

Tammy,

That's a great question...  Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) and vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) are two very different supplements.  The anti-inflammatory regimen is based on vitamin D3, the only free vitamin as it's easily made in our skin when exposed to the UV-B in direct sunlight.

Vitamin D2 will not help prevent your cluster headaches.  Take a look at the following link at the Vitamin D Council web site then call your doctor and tell him you want to switch to vitamin D3. 

If he has any questions, send him the following link:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

While you're at it, ask for the lab test for 25(OH)D, the serum level metabolite of vitamin D3.  The normal reference range for 25(OH)D is 30-100 ng/mL, but we've had CH'ers with active CH test as high as 55 ng/mL.

CH'ers who have gone pain free of their CH while taking the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 and then gone in for this lab test have all come back with 25(OH)D concentrations of 60 to 110 ng/mL.

This is a very safe and very healthy regimen.  The doses of vitamin D3 suggested in this thread result in 25(OH)D concentrations well below the lower threshold for vitamin D3 intoxication of 200 ng/mL.

If you want to read more about vitamin D3 intoxication and related symptoms, read the following link...

There are studies out now that say you would need a daily dose of vitamin D3 greater than 40,000 IU/day for several weeks to three months before reaching serum concentrations of 25(OH)D that would send your calcium metabolism into a warp.

Putting this in perspective, "As one of the safest substances known to man, vitamin D3 toxicity is very rare. In fact, people are at far greater risk of vitamin D3 deficiency than they are of vitamin D3 toxicity."

Regarding no hope for you...  Lose the thought...  The odds are in your favor that you'll have a favorable response to the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 in less than two weeks... 

Even then, if you reach two weeks without a significant reduction in the frequency and severity of your CH, bump the vitamin D3 dose up to 20,000 IU/day...  It's taken a few chronic CH'ers up to six weeks at 20,000 IU/day to go pain free...

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2012 at 4:59pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

superhawk2300
CH.com Hall of Famer

New Berlin, WI
Reply #764 - May 8th, 2012 at 6:31pm

Went to the doc today and ended up with a script for another pred taper - a smaller one but 3 weeks worth. I will continue with the D3 regimine and hopefully when the pred taper runs out I'll have built my D3 levels to the point I'll be PF!

This weekend while dosing I did feel a little "drunk" for a few minutes - I am betting that is one of the side effects of lots of D3?

WWW 1107217852  
IP Logged

MemyselfandI
CH.com Newbie

Ontario, Canada
Reply #765 - May 8th, 2012 at 9:56pm

Hey Gang,
Just thought I would check in.  Back in the middle of February I achieved pf status after 9 weeks on the regimen.  It's been almost 3 months now, since I went pf, and I'm happy to report that I haven't had the beast come back. 
I do notice that if I overdose on my trigger foods/alcohol for a while I will start to get some very mild shadowing.  Just enough to remind you that the beast is still hanging around.

I encourage those of you just starting the vitamin D regimen to stick with it.  It may take a while, and it does get frustrating, but it does work. 

Wishing you all pf days and nights Smiley

IP Logged

JandSmomma
CH.com Newbie

Cypress, CA
Reply #766 - May 9th, 2012 at 12:22am

MMI,

That's awesome news! I'm so happy for you  Cheesy

I'm an ECHer, and my episodes usually only lasted about 2 weeks. This time around the beast decided to stick around for 6+ weeks. I started a 1/2 dose of the regimen in week 5 and noticed a reduction in KIP levels. Got my 25(OH)D test done and have now upped to a full dose. Happy to report that I went PF rather quickly (2-3 days). Not sure if it was the regimen or the end of my cycle, either way I'm stoked!  Cool I plan on staying on a full dose of the regimen until (at least) September, my next cycle should (if it follows it's prior pattern) start again in August. Here's hoping it comes and goes without me feeling a thing  Wink

Take care all, and here's for PFDAN for everyone REAL soon,
Amy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #767 - May 9th, 2012 at 1:27am

Darkfire...

Interesting responses...  Not many CH switch-hitters so you're among a very elite group...  I suspect the situation will improve and you'll be PF in not too much time...

Don, hang in there...  Did you have a blood draw for the 25(OH)D lab test?

MM&I,  Thanks for the SITREP...  It's a wonderful feeling being PF that long isn't it? 

Regarding indulging on triggers...  There were times in the early 70's when... when I was younger, (and a lot more foolish), when the USS Hancock would pull into NAS Cubi Pt, in the Philippines after a month or more of round the clock flight Ops on Yankee Station off the coast of Vietnam...  when we would try to drink the San Miguel Brewery out of their Pale Pilsen...

No matter how hard we tried, we were never successful, but we did end up with a condition the next morning, before CH so it wasn't a shadow... called a hangover...

As I recall it took several Cubi Specials the next day, a delightful concoction of orange juice, pineapple juice, mango juice, cranberry juice, grenadine and equal parts rum to start the healing process. 

That process also included munching on two or three Cubi Dogs, a wonderful hot dog with all the toppings, while simultaneously conducting ray recoveries and combat naps at the Cubi BOQ Pool...  No shortage of vitamin D3 in those days...

By 1700 we were usually sufficiently recovered to don our Hong Kong made finest for another night's attempt to drink the San Miguel Brewery dry...

Hey Amy,  great news...  It's tough for an episodic CH'er to tell whether it was end of cycle or the regimen that made the pain go away... 

You've already figured out the best way to tell for sure by staying on this regimen...  Having said that, I think you'll find the anti-inflammatory regimen is a steal at 20 cents a day and well worth taking for the rest of your life...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

« Last Edit: May 9th, 2012 at 1:38am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

superhawk2300
CH.com Hall of Famer

New Berlin, WI
Reply #768 - May 9th, 2012 at 8:42am

Awesome pics Batch! Thx so much for sharing and thanks for your service! Pics remind me of my dads pics from the same era - he's a Vietnam war vet.
I am hoping the Prednisone will either knock out my cycle or get me through until my cycle is over, as my typical cycle would end in another month or so, thou once in a while I get a cycle that is a good 2 months longer.

That said, there are enough side benefits the the Batch D3 program that even if that is the case I'll stay on the program anyways.

WWW 1107217852  
IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #769 - May 9th, 2012 at 10:59am

Ok, So I am a little slow this morning due to my daily visitor so bare with me.  Ok so my doctor did do the vitamin D test and told me my numbers were very low that I did not even register vitamin D.  So with that said that is why they put me on the Vitamin D2 50,000 1x a week.  Can I add D3 being they are different or did they give me the wrong D all together, this was givin by my primary Dr who knows nothing about CH, not my neurologist.

IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #770 - May 9th, 2012 at 1:43pm

D3 is said to be "stronger" than D2, but in the end-result in the body is the same. D2 is preferred by vegetarians.

-zg

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #771 - May 9th, 2012 at 3:59pm

Tammy,

If your primary care physician ordered the 25-Hydroxyvitamin D, a.k.a. 25(OH)D lab test and the results were low, it would help to know the actual concentration.   It's usually expressed in ng/mL, but it's also occasionally expressed in nmol/L.  Your physician's office staff should be able to confirm the type of lab test and actual results.  Call them.

I'm not a doctor so you need to address taking vitamin D3 on top of vitamin D2 with your primary care physician. 

Again, there's a difference between vitamin D2 and vitamin D3.  What I can also say is CH'ers who have used the anti-inflammatory regimen to go pain free have all used vitamin D3...

"According to the latest research, D3 is approximately 87 percent more potent in raising and maintaining vitamin D concentrations and produces 2- to 3-fold greater storage of vitamin D than does D2. Regardless of which form you use, your body must convert it into a more active form, and vitamin D3 is converted 500 percent faster than vitamin D2. Vitamin D2 also has a shorter shelf life, and its metabolites bind poorly with proteins, further hampering its effectiveness. "  see the following link for more info:

Take care and please keep us posted

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #772 - May 9th, 2012 at 4:12pm

Batch

I called the doctors office and they said the results were 22.2, I am not sure if that helps it was the receptionist who just told me the number the report said.  I also put a call into my neuro asking them to call and see what he says about switching me to the D3 or if I can just go and buy it.

Tammy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #773 - May 10th, 2012 at 1:14am

Tammy,

Good on you for calling to get the lab results...  A 25(OH)D serum concentration of 22.2 ng/mL is clearly deficient.

The sooner you start taking vitamin D3, calcium, and the cofactor supplements the better...

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Radar63
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

UK
Reply #774 - May 11th, 2012 at 2:17pm

Hi Batch

Got my serum level test back, 153 nmol/L .  Which I guess just puts me in the overlap area.  Getting 3 kip 3/4 hits a night lasting 10 mins when taking O2.  Have been taking 20000 iu D3 for 1 1/2 weeks, loaded 50000 IU last Sunday. All with co factors, getting shadow as I am typing this.  Will obviously persist and load again this Sunday.

keep smiling

Radar Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!